Katic not playing on Sunday

uneasydaz

STEVEN GERRARD has allowed Nikola Katic to return home and skip Rangers' final game of the season.

The Croatian defender, 22, will join up with his national team on June 3 ahead of the European Under-21 Championship.

It means Katic will have no part to play against Kilmarnock on Sunday after putting in a great performance against Celtic.

Speaking to Croatian publication Sportske in his homeland, he said: "Due to the European Championships, Gerrard let me go on holiday a week earlier than the rest of the team.

The coach gave me a work programme to do while I'm preparing for the championships, but the emphasis is on the holiday at the moment."

Katic has enjoyed his first season at Ibrox after making 30 appearances in all competitions - with Rangers losing just TWO of those games.

But he admits it was still difficult for him at times as he adjusted to life in Scottish football.

The defender said: "There were ups and downs. It started well, I was playing constantly but then two new defenders came in and there was a lot of rotation.

However when I add it up, I played 30 games in all competitions this season. We didn't concede in 15 of those games and only lost twice.

"So my statistics are really great. It was my first season at this great club and when you play for such a club, the pressure is enormous.

"So overall, everything was okay."

Katic freely admits that he wasn't happy at first after being left out in some games.

But he insists he has a great working relationship with Gerrard and understands the manager's reasons for not always picking him.

He said: "I used to be angry when I didn't play as I thought I deserved to.

"But I need to be realistic, I had some weaker matches so I was on the bench for a reason.

"I have great respect for Gerrard and he has a great relationship with Gerrard.

"Working with Steven Gerrard and his staff is a pleasure."

I think it’s been good man management by Gerrard, he took him out the team for a reason and he’s came back into the team on the form he is capable of producing on a consistent basis. Then to give him the break he deserves. Well done.

STEVEN GERRARD has allowed Nikola Katic to return home and skip Rangers' final game of the season.

The Croatian defender, 22, will join up with his national team on June 3 ahead of the European Under-21 Championship.

It means Katic will have no part to play against Kilmarnock on Sunday after putting in a great performance against Celtic.

Speaking to Croatian publication Sportske in his homeland, he said: "Due to the European Championships, Gerrard let me go on holiday a week earlier than the rest of the team.

The coach gave me a work programme to do while I'm preparing for the championships, but the emphasis is on the holiday at the moment."

Katic has enjoyed his first season at Ibrox after making 30 appearances in all competitions - with Rangers losing just TWO of those games.

But he admits it was still difficult for him at times as he adjusted to life in Scottish football.

The defender said: "There were ups and downs. It started well, I was playing constantly but then two new defenders came in and there was a lot of rotation.

However when I add it up, I played 30 games in all competitions this season. We didn't concede in 15 of those games and only lost twice.

"So my statistics are really great. It was my first season at this great club and when you play for such a club, the pressure is enormous.

"So overall, everything was okay."

Katic freely admits that he wasn't happy at first after being left out in some games.

But he insists he has a great working relationship with Gerrard and understands the manager's reasons for not always picking him.

He said: "I used to be angry when I didn't play as I thought I deserved to.

"But I need to be realistic, I had some weaker matches so I was on the bench for a reason.

"I have great respect for Gerrard and he has a great relationship with Gerrard.

"Working with Steven Gerrard and his staff is a pleasure."

Interesting stats there

If Katic is getting a break, surely Goldson will?

Man has played nearly every single game.

Reading the "interview" though Katic is only getting an extra break because he doesn't have the summer off as he is playing in the Under 21 Euro Championships. Yes Goldson will also be tired but he then has a good few weeks of the summer off unlike Katic

That’s impressive!!

I still reckon Goldson is superior, but Katic is a warrior.
Hope Worrall gets a good send off, had some good games for us in Europe and on 29/12

Katic if he keeps the same level that he has been the last 6 weeks or gets better its fair to say he'll be the best young centre half in the league not Mckenna/Ajer that the papers swan over

Tav should be away on holiday as well, he has played the most games of any of our players this season, plus Polster needs a run out at RB anyway.

I expect a few players to miss out. Flanagan Katic Arfield Defoe and maybe Davis or Kamara. Gives other players a chance.

Morelos Candeias Worrall McCrorie and someone at left back.

Losing really hasn't been a problem this season. It's the stupid draws that have fucked us.
Agreed, drawn 4/5 games more than them. Still a great stat for a youngster. He’s one of my favourite players.

Been done well for us.

Would be good to get a few seasons out of him and sell him for a decent profit.

Makes sense. Our game doesn't have a great deal of meaning and allows him to go join up for the Euros U21.

Hopefully he has a good showing at the Euros and hopefully this sees him return with further boosted confidence raring to go for next season.

Of all the places for Worrall to say goodbye - will forever remember that daydream every time his name is mentioned.

Gareth McAuley got his MBE from Charlie Boy at the Palace yesterday. Is McAuley still injured or is there a possible cameo appearance on Sunday? Presuming of course he is not getting another year.

Lewis Mayo and Rhys Breen along with Dapo Mebude trained with the first team today. Mayo and Breen are both CBs hopefully at least 1 of the 3 get some minutes on Sunday.

Hoping to see good things from Katic next season and beyond. Her's really only had one bad game for us (Spartak) and is very convincing beside Goldson. But I hope SG doesn't play Too weakened a team on Sunday. I want 15 post-split points.

Hoping to see good things from Katic next season and beyond. Her's really only had one bad game for us (Spartak) and is very convincing beside Goldson. But I hope SG doesn't play Too weakened a team on Sunday. I want 15 post-split points.
He's growing into a great defender mate but he has had more than one bad game he got turned by Bowman for Motherwells goal at Ibrox and got taken off at half time and he also got taken off at half time away against Hamilton in October

Giving Worral a chance to say his goodbye, hope he gets a decent reception.

Came on to post this. Divides opinion but had a lot more good games than was given credit for. The way he celebrated last weekend proved he definitely ‘got it’ when here. I wish him well in his career.

He's growing into a great defender mate but he has had more than one bad game he got turned by Bowman for Motherwells goal at Ibrox and got taken off at half time and he also got taken off at half time away against Hamilton in October
Yeah, fair enough, he certainly made mistakes against Hamilton, and I think that was his last game before Moscow? Still, like you say he's becoming very solid, and his future looks bright right now

Back