Katic

I like the big guy but he's just not at the level we need.

Can add him to the list of players that get better the longer they don't feature.

I saw him at Edinburgh Airport on Sunday. Not sure where he was going, but he didn’t look as big physically as he did before his injury.

Yes for me.
Pick him, play him, give him confidence, watch him improve.
Too many people here writing off Bassey a year ago (yes, big time) and look what happened. Not saying Katic has that much potential but with support and confidence I think he is way better than Sands who just looks weak and prone to several mistakes every match. Katic also offers a threat at corners (see piggery) which we simply dont have right now.
list the ones he made last night?

Katic has a big problem with judging high balls. Yeah when he wins one it looks great but he often ran out of position to win a header, missed it, then was caught in no mans land. He looked very rash trying to win balls he had no chance of winning. That plus not being very good with it at his feet, I'm not surprised he's out the picture.

Katic has a big problem with judging high balls. Yeah when he wins one it looks great but he often ran out of position to win a header, missed it, then was caught in no mans land. He looked very rash trying to win balls he had no chance of winning. That plus not being very good with it at his feet, I'm not surprised he's out the picture.
There was an Aberdeen game that sticks in my mind where he done this a few times. Long ball played up the park, Katic runs out a few yeard to win a header that is never his and the big lump they had up front flicked it into the space behind him. The weird thing about it was he had an excellent game against them in the previous fixture. Not sure if they'd been looking to target his weakness after that or if he'd just had another of his off days.

I think Katic gets a raw deal.

He's not the answer in terms of being a first choice starter as he is poor on the ball which impacts everything.

He is however better and more reliable than Souttar
Souttar is a better defender

There was an Aberdeen game that sticks in my mind where he done this a few times. Long ball played up the park, Katic runs out a few yeard to win a header that is never his and the big lump they had up front flicked it into the space behind him. The weird thing about it was he had an excellent game against them in the previous fixture. Not sure if they'd been looking to target his weakness after that or if he'd just had another of his off days.
It's why people think he's a great warrior of a defender, because when he did come out and win them it looked great. But unfortunately a lot of the time it lacked discipline and awareness.
What I want to add as I feel like I'm slaughtering the boy, but Katic would be brilliant for a team like Hearts, Hibs etc. He's not a terrible player overall, just not good enough for us.

Saw the thread title and thought he had been sold .
Best for him if he moves on he is 5th choice at best.
Goldson, Sands, Davies , Soutter and Helander are ahead of him talent wise perhaps even King.

Not even close.

If we lined up with Katic vs PSV. He would have got dragged everywhere positionally (his big flaw) & they would have forced us to give him the ball to exploit is passing weakness (his biggest flaw)

Don't think he's the answer but the idea that folk are holding his horror show at McDiarmid Park 2.5 years ago against him is mental.

The entire squad shat the bed post Xmas.

Don't think he's the answer but the idea that folk are holding his horror show at McDiarmid Park 2.5 years ago against him is mental.

The entire squad shat the bed post Xmas.
Seems to be the only part of Katic’s Rangers career people remember. Yet Goldson can sell the jerseys and it’ll be forgotten about by the end of the week

We had a game plan. The game plan was draw PSV out and prevent them counter attacking us. They are a very dangerous counter attacking team. Sands was very much part of our game plan due to his ability to pass through the lines and keep the ball moving.

He played very well last night imho.

Katic cant do this.

Only a matter of time before he ends up at Hadjuk Split. They had best season for 10 years with him as a regular. They don't want to pay €3m, agree a fee and let him get on with his career.

We definitely need a centre half that is more commanding in our box at corner kicks etc. The amount of goals we have lost at crosses into our box is not good enough.

He is a bang average to poor defender. So much so no one is wanting to buy him as he sits in the stand. He can head a ball. That's it.

If we could bring on players, like kickers in NFL sure I'd bring him on for corners. We still conceded goal from corners with him so...

Defence was no issue last night hence the 2 goals conceded were from set pieces.

This place is mental

Regardless of whether or not he’s good enough (and honestly, I’ll say that after his injury and his time away I very much doubt he is), I can tell you one thing with absolute certainty - there are Goldson apologists on here who would absolutely crucify Katic if he defended the way Goldson has this season, or blundered the way he did in Seville.
This 100%

Some people act like we should be glad to have him whereas in reality he should be glad to have us.

Seems to be the only part of Katic’s Rangers career people remember. Yet Goldson can sell the jerseys and it’ll be forgotten about by the end of the week
Goldson has built up credit that he can rely on to pay for his odd errors. Katic has never built up that credit. Simple as that

Nah no having it.

Katic is getting better and better the less he plays. And because of a goal away at Celtic, people seem to forget that Herrard replaced him with Worral and then Helander.

Katic is good in the air (when he doesn’t get caught under the ball) but that’s about it.

As for sands, anyone can see that in the MLS he played midfield but also CB very effectively (as part of a 3 iirc)

We had a game plan. The game plan was draw PSV out and prevent them counter attacking us. They are a very dangerous counter attacking team. Sands was very much part of our game plan due to his ability to pass through the lines and keep the ball moving.

He played very well last night imho.

Katic cant do this.
Apart from panic at their second goal when he booted it out for a corner

Goldson has built up credit that he can rely on to pay for his odd errors. Katic has never built up that credit. Simple as that
Hes had some amount of gaffs though. And Katic hasn’t really had the same opportunities has he. Goldson also clearly doesn’t have as much credit in the bank with me as he does with others.

It’s been largely forgotten that Katic guided us into the Europa group stages with some excellent performances, superseding Goldson’s, yet there are a plethora of posters who talk about him like he’s a Jack Simpson/Russell Martin hybrid, two players I wouldn’t trust to navigate their way through a league cup tie vs Alloa athletic.

Like I said if he had a game defining howler like Seville he’d have been crucified (I could even mention the penalty Goldson should have conceded for that ridiculous challenge he made, clumsily overcommitting in the same manner Katic is criticised for), if he sold the jerseys against Malmö/Ajax/Dortmund/PSV/Spartak he’d have been crucified. If Katic had passed right to Edouard to let him score in an OF game we lost, or handed Hamilton a winning goal at Ibrox, he’d have been crucified. Of course I’m omitting a lot more from this list because it’d take some time to list them all.

Goldson’s clearly the better player, but it’s interesting how much leeway he gets for a fair old number of pretty huge howlers that have often proven costly. While all that seems to be remembered of Katic’s fairy limited game time is a shocker up at St Johnstone.

Last edited:
Posted similar elsewhere, but we're in a process of moving forward and building up to a level where we can reach the CL groups. We're obviously on the precipice, but Gio is trying to push us in that direction with signings like Colak, Tillman and Yilmaz (assuming the latter is as good as the hype).

Katic isn't going to be a player who can take us to the next level. We need to move on, just as we can't rely on signing players like Roofe and Helander on the basis of "if we can keep them fit, ..." any more.

I'm an apologist for Goldson, especially for what he has done here overall since he arrived here, but he was very poor on those goals last night, especially the second one.
Also at blame for the equaliser in Saville. He isn't anywhere as good as some make out.

He can't pass the ball out from the back and is quite erratic with his defending.

The things he's good at he does well but he has too many flaws in his game imo.

A lot of posters don't rate him
Me, I like him.
At his best he does what it says on the tin, defends the goal.
He is also a great threat in the opposition's goal.
Shame for the lad, he really wants to play for Rangers.
Unfairly treated imo.

He makes one mistake and people are all over him.

Gerrard dropped him for the simplest of stuff and gave others a free pass.

We don't concede those two goals last night if he plays but he might have cost us in other areas so it's a tough one. Definitely a good squad player imo.

Unfairly treated imo.

He makes one mistake and people are all over him.

Gerrard dropped him for the simplest of stuff and gave others a free pass.

We don't concede those two goals last night if he plays but he might have cost us in other areas so it's a tough one. Definitely a good squad player imo.
Gerrard chucked him right under the bus yet did everything to protect Goldson and even a fecking loanee in Worrall when they did similar. Thought that was really shitty.

This is only my opinion.
Until his injury,he was playing well.Now,very much out the picture,where i think because hes not so good with the ball distribution,Gio doesnt think he fits in.
He is strong in the air and not afraid to put his head in where it hurts.He is strong in the tackle(sometimes a bit rash,but 100 % committed to the tackle).
Hes a bit Marvin Andrews,but give me that type of cetre half any day,where his only thinking is to keep the ball away from our goals.Im not saying those goals wouldnt have happened,but im sure his head would have been in there trying to prevent it.
Hes not everyones cup of tea,but im looking at our options
Helander always injured
Soutter injury prone,and again injured.
King is really untried
Sands ISNT A CENTRE HALF.
I know Katic isnt in the european squad,but surely at domestic level hes good enough.
Should Katic be given a chance?
Sands is a more of a centre half than Katic.

Love the big man for his winner at their midden but he is mid SPL standard lump it type defender.

Sands was our best CB last night

I think Katic gets a raw deal.

He's not the answer in terms of being a first choice starter as he is poor on the ball which impacts everything.

He is however better and more reliable than Souttar
I tend to agree, he has made mistakes but our centre backs all make mistakes regularly including Goldson

Katic is not good on the ball but excellent attacking in the air, would potentially compliment Davies

This is only my opinion.
Until his injury,he was playing well.Now,very much out the picture,where i think because hes not so good with the ball distribution,Gio doesnt think he fits in.
He is strong in the air and not afraid to put his head in where it hurts.He is strong in the tackle(sometimes a bit rash,but 100 % committed to the tackle).
Hes a bit Marvin Andrews,but give me that type of cetre half any day,where his only thinking is to keep the ball away from our goals.Im not saying those goals wouldnt have happened,but im sure his head would have been in there trying to prevent it.
Hes not everyones cup of tea,but im looking at our options
Helander always injured
Soutter injury prone,and again injured.
King is really untried
Sands ISNT A CENTRE HALF.
I know Katic isnt in the european squad,but surely at domestic level hes good enough.
Should Katic be given a chance?
If Sands isn’t a centre half it doesn’t say much for Goldson on last night’s display. Sands had a fantastic game compared to Goldson.

Gerrard chucked him right under the bus yet did everything to protect Goldson and even a fecking loanee in Worrall when they did similar. Thought that was really shitty.
Yeah it was Worrall I was thinking of.

He made plenty of errors and played, Katic had a missed place pass and dropped.

Katic isn't great by all accounts but definitely not a bad player. Very useful against hammer throwers in our league.

Goldson and Sands give the ball away alot aswell so not sure why only Katic gets that held against him.

Goldson is certainly going through a bad spell of form and I get that he seems untouchable to be dropped by both SG and GvB.

However, it is ironic how quickly player's situations change. The sense of collective relief from FF and our support when Goldson signed a new contract recently was so palpable you could have touched it.

Like other players his form will improve again.

Yeah it was Worrall I was thinking of.

He made plenty of errors and played, Katic had a missed place pass and dropped.

Katic isn't great by all accounts but definitely not a bad player. Very useful against hammer throwers in our league.

Goldson and Sands give the ball away alot aswell so not sure why only Katic gets that held against him.
He played a huge part in getting us into the Europa group stages to earn some much needed cash, yet look at the total lack of respect for him now. Revisionism and talking about him as though he’s Russell Martin.

And fans demand loyalty from players? It’s a two way street, why should they show any loyalty when the support will talk them down and demand they’re ousted as soon as it’s convenient.

Last edited:
He played a huge part in getting us into the Europa group stages to earn some much needed cash, yet look at the total lack of respect for him now. Revisionism and talking about him as though he’s Russell Martin.

And fans demand loyalty from players? It’s a two street, why should they show any loyalty when the support will talk them down and demand they’re ousted as soon as it’s convenient.
Agreed and he wants to be here 100%

He is already on our books and Helander and Souttar will be injured alot so just keep him and use him in games that suit him.

At the end of the day, Gio sees him in training and person on a daily basis. Him and the rest of his CHs.

People might be split about Goldson, but he is likely to remain 1st choice.
Sands will be 1st choice up until Davies is up to speed. If anyone thinks we spend 4m on a squad player, think again. The latter two have the option to step into alternative roles too ... and have done so regularly in the past - Sands has as many games as DM as he has as CH.
Helander when fit is IMHO our best CH ... and I for one look forward to the day when he and Davies take those two CH slots.
Soutar is the squad player to cover any injuries and suspension, good enough for SPFL level. He might cover a right-back slot too, if required.
King will be there to learn and grab the odd open slot that comes available due to injury, suspension or substitution.

There is little room for Katic right now, even less so for Balogun, whom McCoist mentioned last night.

Our fullback slots are covered too with 2-3 players, while Lundstram may even step back into a CH role if required in a game.

Sands before Katic every day of the week. I would probably also have King over Katic.

I like the big guy but he isn't what we need. Best for all that he goes elsewhere.

That said, I would have retained Balogun because we all knew Helander wasn't going to be fit, Katic had no future and Souttars record of injuries.

It’s a yes from me. I don’t understand this fascination with playing players out of position. Sands isn’t a centre half. Either play Katic or King or get rid of them. We were totally exposed last night at corners.

You need a commanding centre half at corners to bark orders at everyone and dominate the 6 yard box.

Back