Katic

What's with the sands isn't a centre half? I think in the main he's been very good at CB and was good last night against a very very good level strike in De Jong.

as for Katic he simply isn't good enough with the ball at his feet - there has been a reason he's been told to find a new club.

King / Goldson / Sands / Helander / Davies are all far better options IMHO.

Before his injury, he had lost his place to George Edmundson after absolute calamity performances at Rugby Park and McDiarmid Park.

Thrown about by Callum Hendry and Eamonn bloody Brophy.

A nice big guy but come on to f*ck.
Exactly, typical case of a player being better the longer they are out of the team.

Still love the big guy for that header at their midden though.

OP must have been watching a different player. I love Katic attitude and application. Never question that ever.

But that isn’t enough. He just isn’t good enough. Too slow, can’t pass well enough, positioning poor. Not what we need.

Hope he goes away somewhere and has a great career.

What's with the sands isn't a centre half? I think in the main he's been very good at CB and was good last night against a very very good level strike in De Jong.

as for Katic he simply isn't good enough with the ball at his feet - there has been a reason he's been told to find a new club.

King / Goldson / Sands / Helander / Davies are all far better options IMHO.
Sands is brilliant one week and shite the next on here. You’re only ever as good as your last game to a lot of fans, it’s mental.

I was at that game and he had a shocker.
Many, many of our players have had shockers over the period of time that big Niko was out.

They aren’t judged the way he is, because he’s really not had a chance to make up for it. In a 3, he’d do a job for us, but in a 2 I’m not so sure.

He was being touted for £7m moves to Spartak Moscow when we got him, he’s a talented lad, he’s just never really been able to develop his game.

Hes had some amount of gaffs though. And Katic hasn’t really had the same opportunities has he. Goldson also clearly doesn’t have as much credit in the bank with me as he does with others.

It’s been largely forgotten that Katic guided us into the Europa group stages with some excellent performances, superseding Goldson’s, yet there are a plethora of posters who talk about him like he’s a Jack Simpson/Russell Martin hybrid, two players I wouldn’t trust to navigate their way through a league cup tie vs Alloa athletic.

Like I said if he had a game defining howler like Seville he’d have been crucified (I could even mention the penalty Goldson should have conceded for that ridiculous challenge he made, clumsily overcommitting in the same manner Katic is criticised for), if he sold the jerseys against Malmö/Ajax/Dortmund/PSV/Spartak he’d have been crucified. If Katic had passed right to Edouard to let him score in an OF game we lost, or handed Hamilton a winning goal at Ibrox, he’d have been crucified. Of course I’m omitting a lot more from this list because it’d take some time to list them all.

Goldson’s clearly the better player, but it’s interesting how much leeway he gets for a fair old number of pretty huge howlers that have often proven costly. While all that seems to be remembered of Katic’s fairy limited game time is a shocker up at St Johnstone.
That must have taken a long time to type.

Goldson has had about 250 games for us, Katic lucky if he had 50, so you'd expect Goldson to have had 5 times as many mistakes. He hasn't. Plus he's a much better player on the deck, can play it out, bring it out, defensively better positionally, doesn't dive in, etc. etc. Basically 10 times the player Katic is so for God's sake give up with this pointless attempt to compare the two.

That must have taken a long time to type.

Goldson has had about 250 games for us, Katic lucky if he had 50, so you'd expect Goldson to have had 5 times as many mistakes. He hasn't. Plus he's a much better player on the deck, can play it out, bring it out, defensively better positionally, doesn't dive in, etc. etc. Basically 10 times the player Katic is so for God's sake give up with this pointless attempt to compare the two.
Yeah and just think how much longer it would have taken if I’d listed all his gaffs. He’s better at playing out from the back, he’s a better player. That’s not really what I’m debating, what I’m debating is he gets away with murder for some real calamities of which there have been numerous, whereas people like yourself seemingly remember nothing off Katic apart from a shocker in Perth.

Only thing pointless was your retort given that you failed the even grasp the key point I was making.

Sands won ALL his duels and had the best pass completion on the entire pitch.
I joked about a Katic thread and here it is :rolleyes:
Aye but Sands and Goldson give the ball away sometimes (88-90% pass completion) so it's no fair that Katic with his 67% pass completion gets picked on for his. He shouldn't cause he scored against them which Sands has never done.

Once again, FF posters know more about ability than the highly rated manager (that the same posters wanted) who sees the players in training every day.

Spoilers here lads - Gio, like Gerrard before him, isn't sitting on some secret game changer of a player for reasons only you know. They've seen something they don't feel fits what we need and told him he can leave.

Katic was utterly horrendous that run of games after 2020, he was a complete bomb scare,

Hearts away, Aberdeen at home, Kilmarnock away, his finger prints were all over those 3 games, he was shocking even before that St Johnston game, can see why that was the breaking point, the water mark of his performance had got so low, can see why Gerrard couldn't trust him anymore.

Since then most of those involved in those have went on to an undefeated league season and a European Final, seems pretty logical why most look on those players a lot more favorably, I doubt we make the Final or win the league had we waited about on Katic, he was in bother was us even before his injury, he isn't the answer, and should be (will be) moved on.

Have to agree that Sands is a better CH than Katic. Yes, Katic has good aerial ability but other facets of his game let him down, most notably his ability with the ball on the deck. If he had been playing last night against PSV he would have been torn apart by their forwards.

I like Katic, played his part in getting us where we are now and will be remembered for his winner at the piggery however he has no place in this current team , not good enough imo

This is only my opinion.
Until his injury,he was playing well.Now,very much out the picture,where i think because hes not so good with the ball distribution,Gio doesnt think he fits in.
He is strong in the air and not afraid to put his head in where it hurts.He is strong in the tackle(sometimes a bit rash,but 100 % committed to the tackle).
Hes a bit Marvin Andrews,but give me that type of cetre half any day,where his only thinking is to keep the ball away from our goals.Im not saying those goals wouldnt have happened,but im sure his head would have been in there trying to prevent it.
Hes not everyones cup of tea,but im looking at our options
Helander always injured
Soutter injury prone,and again injured.
King is really untried
Sands ISNT A CENTRE HALF.
I know Katic isnt in the european squad,but surely at domestic level hes good enough.
Should Katic be given a chance?
He cant pass. Also, Sands playing on the left as a right footer has been brilliant.

James Sands the new whipping boy , do folk not remember John Lundstram last season .He is a ball playing centre back .

I haven't read the thread but I'm assuming we're saying Katic wouldn't have lost the goals Goldson did at corners?

He was 4th choice before his injury, due to poor performances.

Katic is largely ineffective domestically, because he’s not great with the ball which means opposing teams mark Goldson and block the passing lanes.

He’s a siege defender, we seldom need to siege defend. I love him, and wish he was good enough for us, but he isn’t.
He’s shite. I could’ve saved you explaining

Thought we'd moved on from the Katic threads appearing. He's nowhere near good enough. How do people still think he's what we need?

katic stopped getting a game for us even when we were a few levels less than what we are now.

Just don’t get peoples thought process when it comes to certain players who clearly aren’t good enough.

Gerrard and the management team tried to make him a better player, they couldn’t, he’s not good enough…

Bears let’s get real here. The big man is multiple levels below our standard now. When he signed he was what we needed. Big and strong, able to defend and he gave us base to build on. We finished his first season miles and miles behind Celtic. Since then, we’ve won the league and been in a European final. Katic can’t start attacks the way goldson and sands can. Imagine the big fella with the new bye kick rule trying to play out against the high press? We have a young USA International, a Swedish international and a Scottish international ahead of him. Katic’s level is around the Midjtylland/Fc Zurich standard of team, maximum. We’re better now.

James Sands the new whipping boy , do folk not remember John Lundstram last season .He is a ball playing centre back .
I honestly think that people don't know what whipping boy means. Someone referring to a player not turning in a Ballon d'Or performance inevitably has someone on here greeting and saying "new whipping boy" through their tears.

Seems a genuine bloke who took club to his heart, and not trying isn't something you'd be able to ever accuse him of.

But he is simply not at the standard required.

He was 4th choice before his injury, due to poor performances.

Katic is largely ineffective domestically, because he’s not great with the ball which means opposing teams mark Goldson and block the passing lanes.

He’s a siege defender, we seldom need to siege defend. I love him, and wish he was good enough for us, but he isn’t.
Love him is a bit strong , maybe like him.

Unfairly treated imo.

He makes one mistake and people are all over him.

Gerrard dropped him for the simplest of stuff and gave others a free pass.

We don't concede those two goals last night if he plays but he might have cost us in other areas so it's a tough one. Definitely a good squad player imo.

That was a massive gripe, Katic made a couple of mistakes and was bombed out the team. Worrall was hopeless and maintained his position regardless. I dont even think he was dropped after his howler against Killie.

He played the ball straight out the park for a corner that PSV scored from. Looked easier to put it out for the throw. Not making him the villain of the piece but he didn't have as good a game as that tweet above or the stats make out.

I’d be surprised if he’s still here come the end of the window.
Id be surprised is hes not but delighted if Rangers can somehow offload him.

No club wants to pay a fee or his wages and hes barely playing consistently for nearly 2 years.

Under what circs would anyone take him? Rangers will likely have to bear the burden of cost in terms of moving him on.

We’ve no idea what kind of player he is anymore after his injury. He’s not the answer anyway. We should have signed a defender earlier and bedded him in.

It was a disaster waiting to happen. Goldson doesn’t look right this season as he doesn’t have a settled partner. My opinion it’s a shambles that didn’t need to happen. Let’s hope it hasn’t cost us champions league, again.
Goldson is playing as well as ever

If Katic was as good as people think he could be then he probably wouldn't have been relegated to fourth choice under Gerrard before his injury and now 5th or 6th under Gio.

You'd also have teams wanting to buy him after a season with Hadjuk Split. Seems an easy deal to make as he's there to be bought for any interested party.

He had some notable strengths when he came in but always needed to improve positionally and on the ball to push on. If that progress was visible, his situation wouldn't be what it is. Scottish teams were starting to set-up to expose his weaknesses before his injury, he's rarely ever faced teams the level of PSV but I'm sure they'd cotton on quickly.

Goldson has mistakes in him (pretty much every defender does these days) but comparing him unfavourably to Niko Katic in 2022 is a huge stretch.

We truly do have an issue with certain fans being unable to read or understand a game of football.

The social media element of our fanbase that you see on twitter are absolute set to moronic at most times.

Sands has been good this season

Regardless of whether or not he’s good enough (and honestly, I’ll say that after his injury and his time away I very much doubt he is), I can tell you one thing with absolute certainty - there are Goldson apologists on here who would absolutely crucify Katic if he defended the way Goldson has this season, or blundered the way he did in Seville.
Agree with this 100%

There was an Aberdeen game that sticks in my mind where he done this a few times. Long ball played up the park, Katic runs out a few yeard to win a header that is never his and the big lump they had up front flicked it into the space behind him. The weird thing about it was he had an excellent game against them in the previous fixture. Not sure if they'd been looking to target his weakness after that or if he'd just had another of his off days.

Kilmarnock away when we lost in the final minute.

This is only my opinion.
Until his injury,he was playing well.Now,very much out the picture,where i think because hes not so good with the ball distribution,Gio doesnt think he fits in.
He is strong in the air and not afraid to put his head in where it hurts.He is strong in the tackle(sometimes a bit rash,but 100 % committed to the tackle).
Hes a bit Marvin Andrews,but give me that type of cetre half any day,where his only thinking is to keep the ball away from our goals.Im not saying those goals wouldnt have happened,but im sure his head would have been in there trying to prevent it.
Hes not everyones cup of tea,but im looking at our options
Helander always injured
Soutter injury prone,and again injured.
King is really untried
Sands ISNT A CENTRE HALF.
I know Katic isnt in the european squad,but surely at domestic level hes good enough.
Should Katic be given a chance?
Absolutely not

Katic wont play for Rangers again as long as Gio is manager, he’d rather drop Lundstram back into defence that start him.

Sands is a much better CB than Katic.

Katic has one aspect of his game where he can be really good, aerial ability, but the other parts of his game are nowhere near good enough.

If Sands ever puts in a level of performance at CB that Katic did at home to Legia in qualifiers a few years back I'll be stunned.

With a year left on his deal, I'd be pretty stunned if he played for us again. Best for everyone if he finds a new club before the window closes.

Back