Katic

WATP_74

Has there been a fall out with Gerrard?
Went from being a stalwart in our defence and a threat from set pieces to not even making the bench.
Admittedly he was poor when he finally came back in an away game, but most of the team were crap that day.

If there hasn’t been a fall out then I think Gerrard has handled it badly. His confidence looked shot when he came back into the team. He had been excellent then got dropped out of nowhere.

I get the whole playing yourself out of the team concept and it makes sense, but when there's players getting picked when clearly they are out of form or not up to standard, it's only natural to ask questions imo.

I don't think it's beyond the realms of reality that he was signed as a project, our manager is here for 4 years.

We possibly got news we had a limited window of time to make the addition so signed him with the idea of working with him and coaching his attributes.

At his age he is far from polished as a player.

There's been no fall out.

He's out of form, the two chances he was given to play himself back into the team he was woeful. He's here for the long run, and he'll get his chance again.

Goldson and McAuley are our best partnership, bringing Katic into the equation after last night is just looking to find an excuse for an overall inept performance.

Start of the season he was excellent, a few games prior to being left out he looked a bit dodgy to me, think his confidence had waned at that point. He wasn’t great when he got a chance again.

Have to bide his time now.

I would play Worral over McAuley. Worral might not be the quickest but McAuley a few times looked very slow and cumbersome.

I think Goldson would have pushed up more last night as well if he had Katic or Worral beside him.

1. He wasn't dropped he picked up an injury. Was brought back in twice and performed terribly

2. Even if he was dropped this blaming Gerrard for 'destroying his confidence' is pathetic. Losing your place for a couple of games is no excuse to come back in and play shite.

It's FF.

Worrall was class. Then shite.

Katic was class. Then shite.

Goldson was class. Then shite.

All of the above has been posted on here.

I would play Worral over McAuley. Worral might not be the quickest but McAuley a few times looked very slow and cumbersome.

I think Goldson would have pushed up more last night as well if he had Katic or Worral beside him.
This was my thoughts too

Interesting post (genuinely) - care to expand please.

When he was fit again he was left out, only to be thrown back in on an awkward surface on a position where he clearly felt he had to do well to have a chance of getting his position back (after losing it to a player who’s had an equal number of stinkers, if not more, than he has).

His confidence now looks completely shot, that’s Gerrard’s area. I’m all for kissing his arse and lauding the good that he’s done, but I think he’s handled the whole Katic thing poorly to say the least, and incidentally, we never looked more assured defensively than we did with a regular partnership of Katic and Goldson.

I don't think it's beyond the realms of reality that he was signed as a project, our manager is here for 4 years.

We possibly got news we had a limited window of time to make the addition so signed him with the idea of working with him and coaching his attributes.

At his age he is far from polished as a player.

Far too much sense mate.

The lad's not long turned 22 - lots of improvement to come.

The situation with Katic is odd as there has been nothing to suggest Worrall is any better imo.

There's been nothing to suggest that Worrall is any worse either. Everybody's ganting for a settled partnership at CH, but that only seems to apply if it's Goldson and Katic/McAuley. FWIW, I think Worrall's better than Katic.

You also have to remember, and I am a Katic fan, that he was used to playing for Slaven Belupo who if lucky would have 1500-2000 fans (even games against Dinamo or Hajduk would see less than 8k). Never played in Europe for a club, his cap for Croatia was a friendly...even his under 21 caps were small fry.

Playing in front of 50k demanding fans can be a bit of a shock to the system. He came in did well, got injured, and has struggled to get back. Maybe realising he is playing for the most successful club in the world has had an impact. Under scrutiny even more than anything he has experienced.

He will be back. He may just be one for next season.

There's been nothing to suggest that Worrall is any worse either. Everybody's ganting for a settled partnership at CH, but that only seems to apply if it's Goldson and Katic/McAuley. FWIW, I think Worrall's better than Katic.

For me, when the ability between the two is as close as it appears, I'd rather stick by the player who is ours than a loan player.

So play another club’s 21 year old defender in front of him?

Sorry, but where exactly is the sense in that?

If Worrall's showing more in training then that's why he's being picked ahead of Katic, I would assume. FWIW, I don't think there's much between them but Gerrard's going to pick who he think's got more chance of helping us to 3pts.

Makes sense to me.

For me, when the ability between the two is as close as it appears, I'd rather stick by the player who is ours than a loan player.

Not me. I'd rather go with whoever's in better form, which at the moment is Worrall by some way. If Gerrard thought different, it'd be Katic ahead of him.

Why would they have fallen out?

Take a step back for a second..

Steven fucken Gerrard singled out and hand picked the boy to sign him as he rates him and wanted him - why would he then hate him weeks later, why would Katic dislike Grrard for giving him the chance he has....

There's been no fall out.

He's out of form, the two chances he was given to play himself back into the team he was woeful. He's here for the long run, and he'll get his chance again.

Goldson and McAuley are our best partnership, bringing Katic into the equation after last night is just looking to find an excuse for an overall inept performance.
That is a big claim for McAuley.
He was at fault for the goal we lost last night (IMHO) and cannot play the ball out of defence as well as Katic.
Katic is so capable on the ball he could probably anchor the midfield.

Big Gareth still has some proving to do!

The situation with Katic is odd as there has been nothing to suggest Worrall is any better imo.

I hate to say it, but I think it is a case of Worall is English and the majority of the current coaching team is English therefore they are going to pick the English player, or someone who has played in English football.

He was a stalwart when we had two CBs to choose from and he was one of them. He has dropped fairly abruptly which I think was a mistake from Gerrard, one I assume he will learn from.

My assumption is that this is/was the situation: In Gerrard's mind, Katic was 3rd/4th choice this season but he had to play him because we didn't yet have anyone else. When he did play, he happened to be excellent, possibly a bit better than his true ability at this stage and definitely better than expectations. When Gerrard managed to bring in someone he'd planned to be ahead of him in the pecking order, he stuck with his initial plan and rested Katic and resorted to him being a back-up.

Katic has since been given a couple of opportunities and has had a couple of stinkers, but I think he's a good defender and will be a big player for us in time – it's obvious his confidence has dropped considerably. He now looks nervous when he plays. Gerrard definitely could have managed it better, but young managers will make mistakes; Gerrard at least seems to learn quickly.

He’s looked shakey since Motherwell away early on in the season.

I’m not one for blaming it on Gerrard dropping him. A rangers centre back should not have his confidence shattered after dropping to the bench imo.

I hate to say it, but I think it is a case of Worall is English and the majority of the current coaching team is English therefore they are going to pick the English player, or someone who has played in English football.

Or they think he's better

For me it all seemed to happen after the Motherwell press conference when Katic said he didn’t like playing on artificial surfaces as they aggravated his back injury (or words to that effect). He seemed to drop out of favor after that.

That is a big claim for McAuley.
He was at fault for the goal we lost last night (IMHO) and cannot play the ball out of defence as well as Katic.
Katic is so capable on the ball he could probably anchor the midfield.

Big Gareth still has some proving to do!

Just my opinion mate.

I've not seen the highlights from last night, but Aberdeen's goal looked like a mixture of fortune, and collective poor defending, rather than an individual mistake, and I feel in the 3/4 games he's played, that McAuley has looked composed and most importantly, a leader.

I really like Katic but I don’t believe that is truly the case.

Worrall gets a hard time. Undeservedly so imo and certainly based on his last appearance.

McAuley,at times, looked his age last night.
Katic is our player so better has to be better than Worrall who i feel is overrated.
Katic > Worrall.

Back