Keith Jackson tribute to Walter

Bonnyloyal

His phenomenal achievements will forever stand the test of time.

But, for those lucky enough to get to know him, it wasn’t what made Walter Smith such an outstanding manager which will secure his status as a true giant. Rather, it was what made him such an outstanding man.

Which is why yesterday’s profoundly sad news of his passing will have come as such a devastating, hollowing loss to so many.

And why this is the single most difficult piece I have written for the pages of the Daily Record in almost 30 years working for the newspaper.

Walter wasn’t just any other football man. At times he became something of a father figure to an often too- chirpy-for-his-own good cub reporter whose first season in the press box coincided with his first full campaign in the Rangers dugout.

Those early introductions were often truly terrifying. They came with a sense of trepidation and an acceptance that one clumsily worded or loaded question would result in an awkward silence and the inevitable glowering stare. And that was just on the good days.

He kicked me out of one pre-match press conference and, in front of a room full of sniggering peers, advised me not to bother coming back. By the time I had returned to my office, whimpering slightly through a petted lip, he had already phoned my boss to share a laugh about my punishment. ‘Tell that young boy not to worry. I just had to make an example of him in front of the others’.

In the big book of coaching, they call it: Chapter One, man management. And Walter Smith might as well have been its author.

A man of truly unique qualities, he could boot you up the a*** and take you under his wing at the same time, all the while making you feel quietly privileged for being put through the ordeal.

Over the subsequent years there were many moments and a number of specific, landmark phone calls which will never be forgotten.

His deepest regret throughout all of it was agreeing to return to Rangers as a non-executive director in 2012 after Charles Green ’s takeover. He went in with the best of intentions - to act primarily as a whistle blower on the inside - but quickly realised it was a rare error of judgment.

Green believed, by appointing a man of such stature, he would validate his own standing with the club’s supporters. He made the mistake of underestimating Smith’s love for his football club.

In fact, Green was inadvertently recruiting the man who would ultimately engineer his own downfall.

The night before emptying Green from his post as CEO, came one of those phone calls. He was calling an emergency board meeting for the following morning, before a League Two visit from Clyde that afternoon, and told me of his intentions.

He would be walking into this gun fight armed with just a single, cherished photograph. It was a grainy old picture of a young Smith with his grandad, attending a match together at Ibrox for the first ever time.

He was already rehearsing his speech: “Gentlemen, this is what Rangers Football Club means to me. For the memory of my late grandfather, I refuse to sit back and do nothing.”

Less than a week later, Green’s resignation was announced.

Within weeks Walter reluctantly took on the role as chairman out of the same sense of duty and even though he lasted only three months in the position there was still time for another one of those calls.

This time he asked for a meeting, out of plain sight, in a car park across from Ibrox.

“You know what I think of any man who carries two mobile phones?”, he asked with a stony face and raised eyebrow, before digging into his glove box and producing a second handset of his own.

It was Walter’s way of demonstrating that a bad situation was getting dangerously out of control. He asked me to contact Paul Murray and urge him to mount one last big push to seize control of the club ‘before it’s too late’.

It set in motion the chain of events which led to a reinvigorated Murray and Dave King storming into the boardroom 18 months later in May 2015. Come to think of it, this may have been one of Smith’s most important victories of all.

Late in the summer of 2018 came a call which changed everything. He calmly explained that he was beginning a battle for his life. Given that this was a man who seemed on the verge of being indestructible, his words resonated like a punch between the eyes.

Around a year later we met in person completely by chance and for the final time.

It was also without question, in the most surreal of circumstances.

Lunch with friends in a Glasgow hotel took an unexpected twist when Verve frontman Richard Ashcroft swaggered into the restaurant, hidden – albeit unconvincingly – behind a pair of oversized sunglasses and a floppy bucket hat. He had been booked to appear later that same day as a headline act at the TRNSMT festival.

Soon, another man arrived to join the entourage. He may have lacked Ashcroft’s flamboyance but, in this part of the world, he was far more easily recognisable.

‘Hey Walter, what’s the matter? Are we not rockstar enough for you anymore?’

He looked over, roared with laughter and then pulled up a seat to join us for a drink, looking like a million dollars.

Turns out he and Ashcroft shared the same agent and, after attending a concert backstage some years earlier, Walter had become a huge fan. He had only turned up on that day to apologise for not being able to attend the gig in the evening.

In so many ways that was the mark of the man. Unerringly humble, thoughtful and almost always thinking of others. A highly decorated, tactical mastermind of a football manager. A devoted husband, loving father and doting grandparent. A legend of a man

This is the Keevins one for those that haven’t seen it;

Decency. If anyone asked me to give a one word answer to what could be described as the dominant and defining characteristic belonging to Walter Smith that one word would be the winner.

Hands down.

Of all the Rangers managers I have dealt with on a journalistic basis over the last 51 years, Walter was easily the most impressive, influential and inspirational on a human as well as a professional level.

Willie Waddell was authoritarian and intimidating to a junior reporter in 1970.
Jock Wallace was the disciplinarian par excellence and will always loom large in the memory.

John Greig was the greatest Rangers player of my time but ultimately cast in the wrong role as a manager.

Graeme Souness had charisma enough to illuminate the pitch at Ibrox in the event of floodlight failure.

Walter was the full package, an amalgam of all of them with tactical nous thrown in.

No wonder Ally McCoist said it was like taking the microphone off Frank Sinatra and being asked to better Ol’ Blue Eyes when he succeeded Walter as boss.

Walter was a lifelong Rangers supporter with an affinity for the club you could reach out and touch.

David Murray would ultimately embark upon a series of judgements that would have a ruinous impact on Rangers.
But his finest hour came when he recognised the managerial greatness within Walter at the time when Souness departed for Liverpool and made the big call to make the perennial No.2 his No.1.

Souey will forgive me for saying it, but he left Ibrox for the continuation of his love affair with Liverpool. Walter was already at the place of his heart’s desire.

He had two loves in his life, one personal and one professional. His wife, Ethel, and his two fine sons, Steven and Neil, formed the essence of domestic bliss for Walter.

Rangers consumed the rest of the space that was left in his heart and soul.
He took Rangers to Nine in a Row, equalling Jock Stein’s record of consecutive titles for Celtic, and it was during the course of that run I had cause to appreciate on a personal level the greatness and generosity of the man.

My wife’s young nephew had undergone a serious brain operation that had left his parents devastated. The boy’s greatest wish was to do a stadium tour of Ibrox.

And so I walked into the foyer inside the ground as Walter emerged from the dressing room still swathed in a towel after training.

I dislike people calling me “Shug” when they think they are demeaning you. When Walter called out “Shug” it felt like a compliment.

I did my pitch on behalf of the kid but became conscious of Walter interrupting with “Shug. Shug. Shug.”
“What?” I said. “Are you telling me you’ve got Rangers supporters in your family?” he said with a mischievous look in his eye. We laughed the way you do when there’s mutual understanding and he told me to bring in the kid with medical problems.

Then the man with the weight of half of Glasgow on his shoulders got dressed and personally took the boy on a conducted tour of every part of the ground.

When he got to the players’ dining area they were all told to get in line and have their photograph taken with a visitor. Gough, Goram, Coisty, the lot.

Walter stood for decency.

Why wouldn’t he have linked arms with Ally and carried Tommy Burns’ coffin into St Mary’s church in the shadow of Celtic Park for the Requiem Mass that followed his tragic death? Walter was immersed in the historical conflict between the clubs but was never interested in its pernicious side effects.

He had managed with, and against, Tommy at club and international level. The regard they had for each other was obvious, there was no impediment large enough to stop him paying his
last respects.

When a derby match was done, Walter would often tell me, he would feel no elation, only a sense of relief that it was over.

This was the best of men and his loss is profoundly felt at a time when the relationship between the clubs could do with all the wise counsel it can get. Walter was a Rangers man who respected Celtic men.

Why wouldn’t he?

He had good friends who were passionate Celtic men.

Why wouldn’t he?

The greatest tribute supporters of both sides could pay would be to model themselves on him when it comes to mutual respect.

But Walter would have no objection to letting it be known that he was also capable of the most spectacular rants.

In the season Aberdeen were taking Rangers all the way in the title race, a story was planted that the Dons were considering a move for McCoist. Walter gathered the press at Ibrox and delivered the most sustained barrage of swear words I’ve heard.

As a denial of a story, it was unsurpassed.

If time was running out during a press conference and Walter had not got something off his chest he would thank you for asking a question and answer with a tirade that had nothing to do with what was asked but was well worth the detour.

He never did get that title of ‘Sir’ Walter but if ever anyone deserved recognition for the depth of his talent while remaining true to the generosity of his spirit it was him. He didn’t need any honours list to confirm his nobility.

Nice tribute. Im not sure I'm reading it correctly but was it the agent or ashcroft who sat down with them? It reads like the agent was famous?

Last edited:
Hugh would be ages with Walter. Well done him, I don't always agree with what he has to say week to week, but clearly old school values of the old firm divide hold a high place in his way of thinking, as it probably does for many of us on here.

As for Jackson. No comment.

Listened to Radio Scotlands tribute on way to work this moring. Stunningly brilliant I have to say.
Played an incredible version of Simply The Best over it. I was genuinely in tears while driving.

Well, today I say a final goodbye to my own dad. I know both Neil and Steven, they are good lads and their hearts will be breaking as mine is.

These last couple of days/weeks have been ones of complete sadness but ones of complete pride.

I can’t make the game tonight but I will raise a glass and toast 2 fine men who have both been taken far too young.

All the best bears!!

Reading Keith Jacksons piece and the fact he knew he was ill for 3 years tells us a lot about the respect which he was afforded.
No leaks, no rags printing pictures of him looking terrible. To be fair any pictures recently he has looked relatively well considering what he was going through.
Also the club should be applauded in the way this has been kept under wraps, same on here, I am guessing a few on here knew the severity of it all but again, no details were leaked.
Yes, we all knew he was ill and put 2 and 2 together but credit where it's due to the public, the media and the club for allowing the family the time to deal with the inevitability of it.
Anyone who has lost anyone to terminal illness can relate to that period of limbo where the end is nigh and you know they are going and despite every ounce of you wanting them to stay with you, you also know the best thing is to let go, possibly the most horrible of emotions you can go through.

Really nice stuff from Jackson and Keevins.

Keevins describes perfectly the mix of decency, friendliness, being genuine... But also not to be crossed!

Last edited:
Both tributes are done in great respect, and truly reflect and remind us of Walter Smith - determined, act with demeanou, be respectful and above all a gentleman who loved Rangers.

That's a great piece by Jackson in particular, I've never heard of those events as he's described it.

In which case he is correct - Walter's greatest victory may well have been in that car park.

Very respectful tributes from Jackson and Keevins and shows what they’re capable of in a proper journalistic sense. Pity they spend the rest of their time writing endless nonsense and spouting lies about our club and supporters in their normal Rangers hating personas.

Listened to Radio Scotlands tribute on way to work this moring. Stunningly brilliant I have to say.
Played an incredible version of Simply The Best over it. I was genuinely in tears while driving.
I was the same mate. Was dropping my daughter off at nursery and I completely broke down listening to that version of Simply the best, was so beautiful to hear it stripped back like that.

What I’m about to type might be ill judged in light of the circumstances of the great man’s passing, but I find Jackson’s tribute marred by the self conceit which permeates it. Keith still, to this day, would have us all believe that he played a part in saving our club. He would have us believe that Walter Smith would need him to act as a conduit to Paul Murray, Dave King and Douglas Park.

Delusional doesn’t cover the half of it. To shoehorn that into a eulogy says it all about the type of person Jackson really is. Contrast his style with Hugh Keevins and his piece and the difference is night and day.

There. I’ve said my piece. I’m sorry if this offends anyone reading this.

What I’m about to type might be ill judged in light of the circumstances of the great man’s passing, but I find Jackson’s tribute marred by the self conceit which permeates it. Keith still, to this day, would have us all believe that he played a part in saving our club. He would have us believe that Walter Smith would need him to act as a conduit to Paul Murray, Dave King and Douglas Park.

Delusional doesn’t cover the half of it. To shoehorn that into a eulogy says it all about the type of person Jackson really is. Contrast his style with Hugh Keevins and his piece and the difference is night and day.

There. I’ve said my piece. I’m sorry if this offends anyone reading this.
I agree with this wholeheartedly

Back