Kemar Roofe

I want Roofe to stay, get his injury sorted, get fit and then start playing regularly.

Simple as that.

Maybe he is being and I don't know but for me he needs to be handled completely differently from the rest of the squad, same for Jack really.

He should be as far away from any contact in training as possible and he should stop doing fucking calf raises as it clearly doesn't help!!

Stays fit, it’s a no brainier.
He won’t though, and that’s the issue really. Truth be told I thought he was rotten at times last season too when we really needed our big players to step up. But that’s an accusation that could be levelled at more than just him.

Last edited:
I like him too. But it really is a lot of wages for someone who can't play week to week.

Probably - however, can you imagine what a good season would look like for Roofe if a terrible one sees him scoring 17 goals?

He is about to turn 30 and one season in League 2 aside around about 15-18 goals is where he sits, so likely not that much more than 15-18 goals, players need to be on the park to be scoring many more than that, and reality is, being on the park is an issue with him

We won't get a better backup striker for the money we paid for him.

Hopefully bed him in gently during pre season and take extra care with his issues.

If we can coax 25 league games out of him this season it should be enough for him go rack up the goals
Really? He was injured for the biggest game we’ve had in about 15 years. He was our backup at that point and was predictably injured again. For the money we spent I’d really want someone who is a LOT more reliable than he is.

But that’s an issue with our squad in general. I said elsewhere I think you can gamble on one or two injury prone players. But we’ve had Roofe, Balogun, Jack, Barisic, Helander and Ramsey all in the same squad. That’s taking the piss as far as glass players go. Ramsey is of course out now, but luckily we’ve brought in Souttar who I suspect will fill the void on the treatment table left by the departed (as much as I rate Souttar).

He's a quality centre forward but as soon as Morelos got injured I don't think any of us expected Roofe to get through the 2 games a week schedule without joining Morelos on the injured list, and it didn't take long. Expect him to be here next season, though.

Massive fan of his as a player however as others say its his injuries. Plus when he comes back from injury it takes a god 3 games before hes actually quality again

That's the thing with him - he is either injured or getting back up to pace from an injury. When was the last time he played a run of games for us?

He isn't one to be relied on to even be a deputy for Buff as it's 50/50 he is fit and in form.

In terms of ability he is going to be hard to replace, in terms of reliability he is going to be easy to replace.

That's pretty much Roofe in a nutshell. Great player when fit but rarely fit.

Considering the sheer volume of games in a small period, we will have next season (due to the World Cup). I don't think we can rely on Kemar Roofe even as a back up striker.

An injury to Morelos (or his replacement), then Roofe gets a predictable injury and we are strikerless again (or relying on a project type 3rd striker).

Roofe is the second largest fee we've paid since returning and is on a massive wage. He should be first choice, not a back up. For the fee and wages we've paid for Roofe we have gotten nowhere near our money worth.

If someone came in and gave us a couple of million and took his wage, I'd happily accept it and get a more reliable player. I don't see that happening though. I feel we will be nursing Roofe through injury until his contract is up. The same with Helander.

He is about to turn 30 and one season in League 2 aside around about 15-18 goals is where he sits, so likely not that much more than 15-18 goals, players need to be on the park to be scoring many more than that, and reality is, being on the park is an issue with him

At risk of perpetuating a pointless debate, are you trying to tell me that had Roofe played, say, even 15 games more than he did this year, that he wouldn't have reached 25 goals?

Either way, I agree that his injury record is what it is and that he won't cut it long term, so let's leave it there.

A title run in, a European Cup Final along with a Scottish Cup final and not a striker in sight.

Main man and back up out injured. That’s no use. Roofe managed 3 minutes in Seville and 0 against Hearts.

He barely plays once a week let along Sunday - midweek - Sunday.
Bang on.

Ability wise, he’s excellent. Physically, he’s nowhere near our level.

There’s no point in being a good player if you can’t get on the park.

At risk of perpetuating a pointless debate, are you trying to tell me that had Roofe played, say, even 15 games more than he did this year, that he wouldn't have reached 25 goals?

Either way, I agree that his injury record is what it is and that he won't cut it long term, so let's leave it there.

but he didn't, and he generally doesn't play an extra 15 games, it's nigh on impossible to speak about his talent as a player without having to condition it with his availability.

It’s not just Roofe by the way, we need to get rid of/stop signing players with a clear and obvious record of injury.

People knew it about Roofe, Helander, Ramsey and even Balogun had been a bit patchy before arriving.

Given that we operate a squad of around 22/23 realistic first team players, going into important parts of this season with around 20% of that squad sitting as high injury risks is/was fucking bonkers.

Get them out where possible and replace them with reliable consistent performers.

There’s nothing you can do with Hagi’s injury, but we definitely overplayed Morelos probably with one eye on not overplaying Roofe, and look how that worked out.

I'd be encouraging clubs to come in for him.

Like Helander, enough is enough when it comes to injury situation and being unreliable. We can't keep carrying these type of players.
Agreed! Unfortunately it's very unlikely anyone is going to pay a suitable transfer fee and offer injury prone players, approaching their 30s, the sort of money they're on at Ibrox.

So for that reason I can't see either of them going this summer.

It’s not just Roofe by the way, we need to get rid of/stop signing players with a clear and obvious record of injury.

People knew it about Roofe, Helander, Ramsey and even Balogun had been a bit patchy before arriving.

Given that we operate a squad of around 22/23 realistic first team players, going into important parts of this season with around 20% of that squad sitting as high injury risks is/was fucking bonkers.

Get them out where possible and replace them with reliable consistent performers.

There’s nothing you can do with Hagi’s injury, but we definitely overplayed Morelos probably with one eye on not overplaying Roofe, and look how that worked out.

Roofe was absolutely worth it. Gave us that swagger and really put an oomph in that 55 team. Missed a lot of games but he was still the definition of "the difference" that season.

I can't quantify that with pishy stats but he really changed the complexion of the squad.

Can’t see there being many takers for a player with his injury record unfortunately so we’re probably stuck with him.

Which as a back up is no bad thing, but personally I feel we need to add a goalscorer of greater quality than anything we currently have even if we were to retain all of our strikers into next season.

I want Roofe to stay, get his injury sorted, get fit and then start playing regularly.

Simple as that.
And we know the inevitable outcome he gets fit plays and gets injured again and we are back to square one with him missing chunks of the season.

It's happened throughout his career he is made of glass physically he can't handle 2/3 games a week and takes weeks sometimes months to get going again.

Roofe was absolutely worth it. Gave us that swagger and really put an oomph in that 55 team. Missed a lot of games but he was still the definition of "the difference" that season.

I can't quantify that with pishy stats but he really changed the complexion of the squad.

How's the calf holding up, Kemar?

I would look to move Roofe on.

A player I like when he is on form. But he is unable to play 5 or 6 games on the bounce wiyhout picking something up.

We need a sqiad of players who are ALL contributing. Especially the top earners.

I dont know what Goldson asked for in his contract negotiations. But he is vice captain and available to play evvery minute of every game. More of those type required

Back