Kemar Roofe

Does anybody know what the deal is with him at the moment? Is he training? Not much point in saying we should get rid because nobody will want a player who isn’t fit if that’s the case.
Got injured in our first day back at training.

Is he up in Glasgow or back down in the Midlands by all accounts that's where he spends most of his free time.

Think there was talk by a reliable poster he was due back in training very soon.

Roofe is extremely unreliable and is one of most expensive players in terms of wages. I would like to see him leave but who would take on such a liability?

How much worth of player on our books did we not have starting last night?

**** this is not a judgement of any player **

Roofe, Hellander, about 7.5 million, Davis and Yilmaz about another 9, about 16 millions worth of players in fees not starting a CL Qualifier, we really in a place for that?

Best for all parties if he can get a move in this window.

Although it seems that his injury/fitness status will probably prevent that.

Roofe’s build is very similar to that of Daniel Sturridge, the former Liverpool and England striker. Sturbridge was very muscular but that caused him problems as he constantly suffered from tears and strains, particularly in the hamstrings and calf areas. He was a great player but Klopp moved him on a ew months after taking over at Anfield because of the fitness reliability issue. He went toAustralia buttgat has not gone well either. I would be sad to lose Roofe but in football injury-prone players are a liability.

Can fully understand how Gio is apparently pissed off with him. We all understand that injury's are not the fault of the player etc, but when you are as competitive as Gio is, you need all the talent at your disposal.

Roofe’s build is very similar to that of Daniel Sturridge, the former Liverpool and England striker. Sturbridge was very muscular but that caused him problems as he constantly suffered from tears and strains, particularly in the hamstrings and calf areas. He was a great player but Klopp moved him on a ew months after taking over at Anfield because of the fitness reliability issue. He went toAustralia buttgat has not gone well either. I would be sad to lose Roofe but in football injury-prone players are a liability.
Klopp ending up implying that Sturridge’s issues were mental in nature.

I was a fan of Roofe when Gerrard signed him. He was a significant upgrade in the quality of player we had back then. However, we have now moved on and as he is seldom available for selection these days due to ongoing injuries, I feel it’s the right time for a parting of the ways preferably a permanent move if we can but if not then a loan to one of the English Championship teams would seem a good fit for him and his family. He will also be one of the top earners at the club I would imagine and we could therefore divert that wage to securing another outfield player or goalkeeper imo.

Roofe’s a good player and fully fit I’d keep him all day long but he just can’t stay injury free for large enough spells.Time to move him on a think.

I think Kemar Roofe brings something different to the team when he plays. Hes a cracking wee player.

But I think the whole fitness thing in the lead up to Seville has pissed Gio off. We needed a striker in that game and you seen when he cam on what he could have brought with that chance he set up for Kent.

We needed him most that night and it still breaks my heart.
Can you really blame the manager? We desperately needed a striker and one of that quality could've turned out to be the difference between our name being engraved on the trophy or not. I think Roofe is a excellent player but his injury record is shocking.

I'm with you - still heartbreaking to think what we lost out on in Seville.

We are not some club with vast resources that can afford to have these guys not contributing. Ross Wilson has a tough job ahead trying to shift Helander and Roofe.

2nd season in a row our 1st and 2nd choice strikers haven't been available (fully fit/available for selection) for the (financially) most important part of the season. Has cost us big style, Morelos, it really hasn't been his fault, but Roofe because of his crazy challenge against Prague and this season his injury propensity. It is a hard ask for any club to do what we are striving to do anyway, but doubly harder without these players. Thankfully Colak seems to be settling in well, but that in itself may not be enough against very good opposition.
Morelos went away with Colombia carrying a thigh injury, aggravated it, and it probably cost us the league, never mind Europe.

But no one likes to admit that.

Morelos went away with Colombia carrying a thigh injury, aggravated it, and it probably cost us the league, never mind Europe.

Rangers ran Alfredo into the ground last season also. Joint blame for that situation lies between us and the Colombian set-up. He isn't going to refuse a call-up, we all know that.

Cracking striker when fit but that is becoming a rarer and rarer event
Him and big Phil good players no questions on that but both physically can’t get or stay fit to a level they can play. We need to do far better in terms of assessment of players. Roofe had injury issues at Leeds then at Anderlecht yet we cracked on and signed him. Personally I’d have passed on Souttar too given his history now Davies has one game and is injured??

2nd season in a row our 1st and 2nd choice strikers haven't been available (fully fit/available for selection) for the (financially) most important part of the season. Has cost us big style, Morelos, it really hasn't been his fault, but Roofe because of his crazy challenge against Prague and this season his injury propensity. It is a hard ask for any club to do what we are striving to do anyway, but doubly harder without these players. Thankfully Colak seems to be settling in well, but that in itself may not be enough against very good opposition.
Roofe is no longer second choice

Rangers ran Alfredo into the ground last season also. Joint blame for that situation lies between us and the Colombian set-up. He isn't going to refuse a call-up, we all know that.
I agree with this, Alfredo should have been rested at least 2 weeks before the Dundee game where he came off injured, he had been struggling for a while. If we had rested him earlier and because of the, he would never have been in Columbia to aggravate it. Lack of a 3rd choice striker the manager trusted, with the 2nd choice always injured or on the brink of injury, caused us to keep playing Alfie.

I think Kemar Roofe brings something different to the team when he plays. Hes a cracking wee player.

But I think the whole fitness thing in the lead up to Seville has pissed Gio off. We needed a striker in that game and you seen when he cam on what he could have brought with that chance he set up for Kent.

We needed him most that night and it still breaks my heart.
I wonder with him if it’s a bit of a mental thing. Reminds me of Sturridge.

From a 2018 Guardian article:
The injuries have not only taken a toll on Sturridge’s body but also on his reputation. Uncommitted, weak, lazy – those have been the accusations thrown his way, with Steven Gerrard’s claim in his 2015 autobiography that he had to plead with Sturridge to play with a knock during the 2013-14 campaign only adding fuel to the fire. The inferno raged further when in November 2015, Klopp said Sturridge had to learn “what is serious pain and what is only pain” in order to overcome his injury setbacks.

When fit he is a outstanding player, but we knew his history when we signed him and it looks like it's come back to haunt us.. alfredo is a good few weeks away from being up to speed with fitness for me which leaves only colak and that's a worry

He never looks that interested on and off the park.
A mistake like Helander, the best part of £10 million on wages and transfer fees on these 2 for little return.

I can still see him moving on at the end of the window assuming he is back training. He is firmly 3rd choice now and GVB does not play more than one striker so he is only playing if we get injuries.

He is too big an earner to be 3rd choice, I can see us loaning him and maybe bringing in a young high potential striker

I wonder with him if it’s a bit of a mental thing. Reminds me of Sturridge.

From a 2018 Guardian article:
The injuries have not only taken a toll on Sturridge’s body but also on his reputation. Uncommitted, weak, lazy – those have been the accusations thrown his way, with Steven Gerrard’s claim in his 2015 autobiography that he had to plead with Sturridge to play with a knock during the 2013-14 campaign only adding fuel to the fire. The inferno raged further when in November 2015, Klopp said Sturridge had to learn “what is serious pain and what is only pain” in order to overcome his injury setbacks.
Absolutely. Some players will play with some pain, others have lower pain thresholds and will claim they are unfit.

A mistake like Helander, the best part of £10 million on wages and transfer fees on these 2 for little return.
Hopefully we haven’t repeated the process , the best part of another £10m didn’t play on Tuesday.

He was fit for a large part of last season (Jan - March) where Gio didn’t fancy playing him.

Remember the weird phase where he wouldn’t make any subs (St Johnstone away).

Gio not trusting Davis, Kamara , Sakala and Defoe to take over and do a job on a Sunday after Lundstram, Jack and Morelos ran themselves into the ground on the big Thursday European nights lost us the league

He was fit for a large part of last season (Jan - March) where Gio didn’t fancy playing him.

Remember the weird phase where he wouldn’t make any subs (St Johnstone away).

Anytime he's given a run of games he picks up an injury. You just knew that when Morelos got injured last season, Roofe wouldn't last the pace.

Thankfully we've got Čolak who to date (going by career injury history) seems pretty robust.

Very little news, if any, on Roofe and Helander. I won't blink an eye when they are eventually moved on and that's not down to a lack of ability. If only we could move them on this window.

So because he isn't smiling and laughing like Sakala is 99% of the time that means someone isn't interested on or off the park?

Would happily take any offers if anyone comes to the table, but given his injury record and presumably decent wages that doesn’t seem likely.

2 years left on his deal also, long time to be carrying a player who is never available as good as he can be when he is (rarely) fit.

Cracking player who has the ability to become our first choice, sadly he just keeps getting injured so will never be first choice.

When we came back for pre season and had pics of Roofe and Helander in training, many of us commented that we won't see them for the start of the season. It was even worse, they were injured almost immediately.

2 very good players but worth nothing with their injury problems.

Don't get the impression Gio cares for him at all.

It is relatively difficult to care (in a playing sense) for a player who is hsrdly ever fit.

I said in April if we played him 3 games running he'd be out for a time with an injury. Guess what, he played in 3 games, got injured and then, apart from a fleeting glimpse in EL final, he hasn't been seen since.

There is no denying a fully fit Roofe is an fantastic asset, his goals per game is as good as Alfie's but his constant injuries mean he cannot be relied on at all.

Like Helander, no club is going to pay decent money to take him off our hands. Likely both Helander and Roofe will run down their contracts - good players but two signings that just havent fulfilled their early promise.

So because he isn't smiling and laughing like Sakala is 99% of the time that means someone isn't interested on or off the park?
Just saying he looks a bit moody.
Funny so did Negri and he never played or Webster.
You cannot deny its been a total waste of money, add in we wont get a transfer fee.

When we came back for pre season and had pics of Roofe and Helander in training, many of us commented that we won't see them for the start of the season. It was even worse, they were injured almost immediately.

2 very good players but worth nothing with their injury problems.
The money they have cost the club when we arent exactly flush is shocking.
We all knew about the injuries before signing, total mismanagement from the club.

Far too many injury prone players at the club. Roofe, Helander, Jack, Souttar.

No one's going to buy Roofe so I'd expect him to be here until January and then maybe get a loan.

Far too many injury prone players at the club. Roofe, Helander, Jack, Souttar.

No one's going to buy Roofe so I'd expect him to be here until January and then maybe get a loan.
I was hearing on the Rangers rabble podcast Soutar has broken his foot.

Dont know how true that is.

Both were vital in winning 55, and Roofe was a big part of going through v Braga and reaching a Europa final.

Last 12 months or so have been disappointing from both with injuries but I don't think they've been a waste of money overall.

Back