Kemar Roofe

Well given no one will take him in the circumstances i'm sort of glad he's still there. Yes the injuries are chronic, but when he plays he's as good as Colak or maybe even better. That's some option to have on the bench even if you only get to use it sparingly.

He should do what Hagi is doing and make a documentary of his recovery. There could be infinite sequels as well.

Decent player, great finisher, capable of the unexpected and would love him to be fit and able to play.

Reality = Never fit and needs sold if we can get him fit enough to pass a medical which I doubt we will be able to do.

He is not alone on the treatement table with us offering very little, I do wish we where a little more ruthless and activly worked players out the door who cant manage x amount of games per season.
  • Helander is another
  • Jack is another
  • Souttar gives me the fear that he will miss more than he plays, hope I am proved wrong
  • Ofoborh has been unlucky, I think we have probably moved on in levels that he wont be able to match, Hope he recoveres and is well from what is a terrible issue for him
  • Hagi I am hopeful will make a recovery and get back fighting for a place

Little return?

He's scored 34 goals in 70 games, helped us win 55 and scored on the way to a Europe League final.

Yes he's injury prone but to say he's added little is madness.
We knew he was injury prone when signing him so we took a chance on him I think it paid off to an extent as he was our top goalscorer at our team in the league when we won 55, and as you say contributed.

He has been a good player, excellent record when fit but sadly that’s the problem, and one he had before we bought him, we essentially took a gamble on him.

Thankfully it’s not hurting us so far this season as Colak has hit the ground running while the buffalo regains full fitness.

in fairness ... we knew what we were signing up for with Roofe - there was a reason he wasn't playing at a higher level than Belgium and ultimately us - that is the fact he is injured a lot of the time.

if we could get him moved on - i think that would suit us - and the wages potentially used to cover a replacement who would be available more readily.

in fairness ... we knew what we were signing up for with Roofe - there was a reason he wasn't playing at a higher level than Belgium and ultimately us - that is the fact he is injured a lot of the time.

if we could get him moved on - i think that would suit us - and the wages potentially used to cover a replacement who would be available more readily.
My worry is that it might be difficult to move him on because of his high wages and poor injury record.

Just saying he looks a bit moody.
Funny so did Negri and he never played or Webster.
You cannot deny its been a total waste of money, add in we wont get a transfer fee.
Top league goal scorer in our league winning unbeaten season, scored a goal worthy of the puskas award at liege, scored the winning goal in extra time against braga to get us to a European semi final (amongst other goals against strong European opposition) scored a double against the smellies when we recorded our biggest win over them in decades and he's consistently hit double figures despite serious injury issues.

But aye other than that he's been a total waste of money.

Both were vital in winning 55, and Roofe was a big part of going through v Braga and reaching a Europa final.

Last 12 months or so have been disappointing from both with injuries but I don't think they've been a waste of money overall.
The odd game isnt good enough.
Helander has cost us a minimum of £100k per game which includes transfer fee/ wages.
Is that ok?
We have 2 trophies to our name.
Mediocrity is common with a lot of players we buy.

Top league goal scorer in our league winning unbeaten season, scored a goal worthy of the puskas award at liege, scored the winning goal in extra time against braga to get us to a European semi final (amongst other goals against strong European opposition) scored a double against the smellies when we recorded our biggest win over them in decades and he's consistently hit double figures despite serious injury issues.

But aye other than that he's been a total waste of money.
His and Helanders outlay on wages and tranfers fees is not good enough.
Had they been free s then yes.
Every man and dug knew they would be injured a lot.
Sell on fee - zero.
Its only in 2022 , that we have money to blow, then wasnt the case.
Settled teams win leagues and cups.
Compare them to balogun and say morelos .

The odd game isnt good enough.
Helander has cost us a minimum of £100k per game which includes transfer fee/ wages.
Is that ok?
We have 2 trophies to our name.
Mediocrity is common with a lot of players we buy.
I agree their injury records have been poor and I'd be supportive of moving them on because of that.

What I was challenging is that they've been a waste of money given their contributions in Europe and in the 55 season (Helander a major factor in our astounding defensive record that season). Both have played their part in raising our standards to a team that regularly competes well in Europe and are now back on at least an even keel with the other side of the city.

Neither of them are mediocre players - both have proven their quality when fit, but I accept that their injury problems have worsened in the past 12 months and if they can't play then they aren't much use.

I agree their injury records have been poor and I'd be supportive of moving them on because of that.

What I was challenging is that they've been a waste of money given their contributions in Europe and in the 55 season (Helander a major factor in our astounding defensive record that season). Both have played their part in raising our standards to a team that regularly competes well in Europe and are now back on at least an even keel with the other side of the city.

Neither of them are mediocre players - both have proven their quality when fit, but I accept that their injury problems have worsened in the past 12 months and if they can't play then they aren't much use.
Agree, but there never fit , there lies the problem.
Same with Jack, we cannot afford to spend big and have that outcome.
At least Jack was a free.

His and Helanders outlay on wages and tranfers fees is not good enough.
Had they been free s then yes.
Every man and dug knew they would be injured a lot.
Sell on fee - zero.
Its only in 2022 , that we have money to blow, then wasnt the case.
Settled teams win leagues and cups.
Compare them to balogun and say morelos .
Helander, debatable...possibly could be called a flop. Roofe-no chance, its disappointing how often he's missed games but we simply couldn't afford him if he was constantly fit. You said he's been a total waste of money and I countered your post by listing what he's achieved. Let's be honest, he hasn't been a total waste of money.

Agree, but there never fit , there lies the problem.
Same with Jack, we cannot afford to spend big and have that outcome.
At least Jack was a free.
To be fair to Jack, his injuries were caused by tackles, not because he was injury prone.

Gerrard said they got to the root cause, and that’s why he spent 6 months or so out after an operation. He came back at the start of the year and has been fine since.

Helander, debatable...possibly could be called a flop. Roofe-no chance, its disappointing how often he's missed games but we simply couldn't afford him if he was constantly fit. You said he's been a total waste of money and I countered your post by listing what he's achieved. Let's be honest, he hasn't been a total waste of money.
We have won 2 cups in say
4years since SG arrived , i would expect more from guys costing millions.
He s scored some goals and a wonder goal, Bert Konterman scored a wonder goal .
He was still a waste of money.
Look at it this way
Outlay - millions
Wages- reflect outlay millions.
Injuries - constant
Sell on fee- possibly zero

With the above, i would be looking for a big return on investment.

To be fair to Jack, his injuries were caused by tackles, not because he was injury prone.

Gerrard said they got to the root cause, and that’s why he spent 6 months or so out after an operation. He came back at the start of the year and has been fine since.
Was he back at the start of the year?
Not great this season and carrying a bit of beef.

He’s been injury free since then but he can’t play every game or even two back to back it seems.

We have won 2 cups in say
4years since SG arrived , i would expect more from guys costing millions.
He s scored some goals and a wonder goal, Bert Konterman scored a wonder goal .
He was still a waste of money.
Look at it this way
Outlay - millions
Wages- reflect outlay millions.
Injuries - constant
Sell on fee- possibly zero

With the above, i would be looking for a big return on investment.
You seem to be selective in what you're acknowledging. Firstly, do you honestly think that Roofe was signed to single handedly haul us to back to back trebles? He's not Ronaldo or Messi. "Some goals" as I said, our top scorer in the 55 season, only player to score a double against that lot in over a decade and got the winner to get us to a euro semi final and has 35 goals in 72 appearances for us, a one in two strike rate. Forget his wonder goal for a minute, I actually burst out laughing when I read you comparing him to Konterman. The only similarity is that we paid about £4 million for both (and £4 million was a lot more 20 years ago than it was now). Anyway, you don't rate him but I'd say most fans do. Everyone can agree that his fitness is an issue. Fair?

Was he back at the start of the year?
Not great this season and carrying a bit of beef.
Yeah, came back in our 3-0 capitulation at Hampden against Hibs and has been injured since.

He probably can’t play 3 games a week now so needs his game time managed but he hasn’t been injured.

We have cover in his position, he probably also isn’t a particularly high earner in our squad so I’m happy for him to stay given he usually plays well for us.

Whereas Roofe, and Hellander are both high earners and seem to be injured quite consistently, I’d be happy to see them go with our best wishes.

Roofe scoring 2 when we beat Celtic 4-1 is proper Roofeish to be fair, up there with his hat trick the week after not scoring against them

You seem to be selective in what you're acknowledging. Firstly, do you honestly think that Roofe was signed to single handedly haul us to back to back trebles? He's not Ronaldo or Messi. "Some goals" as I said, our top scorer in the 55 season, only player to score a double against that lot in over a decade and got the winner to get us to a euro semi final and has 35 goals in 72 appearances for us, a one in two strike rate. Forget his wonder goal for a minute, I actually burst out laughing when I read you comparing him to Konterman. The only similarity is that we paid about £4 million for both (and £4 million was a lot more 20 years ago than it was now). Anyway, you don't rate him but I'd say most fans do. Everyone can agree that his fitness is an issue. Fair?
Canny rate someone that never plays more than 6 games on the bounce,

Yeah, came back in our 3-0 capitulation at Hampden against Hibs and has been injured since.

He probably can’t play 3 games a week now so needs his game time managed but he hasn’t been injured.

We have cover in his position, he probably also isn’t a particularly high earner in our squad so I’m happy for him to stay given he usually plays well for us.

Whereas Roofe, and Hellander are both high earners and seem to be injured quite consistently, I’d be happy to see them go with our best wishes.
SG thought big of him and gave him an extended contract.
Dont think GVB is quite as convinced.

I am still hopeful of seeing a Colak and Roffe partnership up top at some stage of the season, think the movement and goal scoring abilities of both would compliment each other very well. Especially against some of the more shall we say compact teams

I'd like to get him moved on if possible, his goal return is decent enough but you can't depend on him at all, we could get a striker in for his wages who would be a decent enough 3rd choice

How much worth of player on our books did we not have starting last night?

**** this is not a judgement of any player **

Roofe, Hellander, about 7.5 million, Davis and Yilmaz about another 9, about 16 millions worth of players in fees not starting a CL Qualifier, we really in a place for that?
Do you mean Ben Davies?

I wish we could offload Roofe.

By all accounts he's on at least £25k a week and for a third choice striker who is never fit, it's such a waste of resources.

Helander is another one but at least if/when he's fit there's a good chance he'd be a first choice pick.
I some how have a bad feeling Helander won’t be the same player when back. Pains me to say but I think that’s it with him.

Is he up in Glasgow or back down in the Midlands by all accounts that's where he spends most of his free time.

Think there was talk by a reliable poster he was due back in training very soon.
There was a picture of him on another thread pouring pints in a pub in Dumbarton that has just reopened.

Back