Kemar Roofe

A little concerned with some comments from Leeds fans as a lot of them seem to think he is injured too much & isn't physically strong enough to play 40 games a season for them.

Haven't watched him that regularly so can't really comment on that issue, anyone able to back it up or not? Seemed to be coming from a lot of them so was just a little alarming to see really.

Hopefully gives the mentally challengeds a taste of their own medicine. Just imagine. 'You've been Roofe-ied'

We play 1 up front, we aren’t potentially spending 5m on Roofe and letting Morelos value depreciate coming off the bench. 3.5m on Helander as well as development fees and Edmundson takes us close/around 10m. Just can’t see us spending that without some money coming in for someone.

And you may well be right however the net spend in mentioned cannot be out with our reach especially considering the fact that Pedro’s spend was over £8m.
Options are also important so who’s to say we’ll always go 1 up?

Roofe is a great player. He does struggle with niggly injuries quite often though.

I don’t understand our interest in him to be honest. He’s like a premium Stewart. He can’t lead the line or hold the ball up like Morelos does. He would be awful in a system like we had on Tuesday, he needs guys close to him and where goals can be shared.

Roofe is a great player. He does struggle with niggly injuries quite often though.

I don’t understand our interest in him to be honest. He’s like a premium Stewart. He can’t lead the line or hold the ball up like Morelos does. He would be awful in a system like we had on Tuesday, he needs guys close to him and where goals can be shared.

I've not seen him play but 5 mill for a guy that cant hold the ball up or lead the line is no use to us at all

okay you got me.

Did we play hoofball on Tuesday because I think I was watching a different game

I've not seen him play but 5 mill for a guy that cant hold the ball up or lead the line is no use to us at all

He’s a false 9 type who can play wide. Different to what we have (although Stewart could be similar) but as a replacement for Morelos, it’s baffling to me.

He’s a false 9 type who can play wide. Different to what we have (although Stewart could be similar) but as a replacement for Morelos, it’s baffling to me.

A replacement for Morelos doesn’t need to play in the same way Morelos does. We didn’t have a ‘Morelos’ at Ibrox last season when we beat the beasts 2-0.

A replacement for Morelos doesn’t need to play in the same way Morelos does. We didn’t have a ‘Morelos’ at Ibrox last season when we beat the beasts 2-0.

There were also plenty games where Morelos totally carried us. To lose that type of option from the squad would be worrying, especially when we’ve just signed a shit load of wingers.

I suspect that Gerrard wants a Liverpool style front three. Interchangeable. All scoring goals. Roofe, Ojo, Kent could fit that profile with a backup of Stewart, Hastie, Jones. Or any mix of that 6. Can probably slot Arfield into that somewhere as well. Then we have Defoe for changing it up to something different. Assuming Morelos goes.

Its not Salah, Firmino and Mane but I'm sure you get the idea.

The boy we were apparently looking at in January but nothing happened, Andreas Skov Olsen is also on his last year at his club too.

Simon Deli looks a physical player, looks a bit suspect with his passing mind you.

Would love for us to sign Skov Olsen.

There were also plenty games where Morelos totally carried us. To lose that type of option from the squad would be worrying, especially when we’ve just signed a shit load of wingers.

Only because we were playing to the Morelos style of football in those games though. Yes, I agree we’d need Roofe to come in and score goals but I don’t think not having a Morelos type player means we’re a worse team than with him in it.

He's not a false 9 & can play the lone striker role fine. Indeed he plays as a lone striker most of the time for Leeds.

Yes he is a different player from Morelos, he is more about intelligent movement, getting in behind the defence than a physical forward. However he works hard & creates room for other players. His link up play is also v good.

One interesting point to note is that Leeds were one of the top crossers of the ball in the Championship last season. Bielsa loves focussing on wing play. Guess who was the lone striker in the middle feeding off these crosses?

Would love for us to sign Skov Olsen.
Funnily enough it seems Bologna have made an offer for him. €5m fee was reportedly agreed but he is taking his time deciding where he wants to go.

In that case it points more that Gerrard isn't interested in relying on a target man and wants us to play more like we did toward the end of the season.

If thats his plan then it makes sense why we'd be interested in him.

A little concerned with some comments from Leeds fans as a lot of them seem to think he is injured too much & isn't physically strong enough to play 40 games a season for them.

Haven't watched him that regularly so can't really comment on that issue, anyone able to back it up or not? Seemed to be coming from a lot of them so was just a little alarming to see really.

Last 3 seasons at Leeds he's featured in 42/46, 36/46 & 33/46 league games for them (haven't looked at the cups) so doesn't seem too concerning.

We aren’t spending 5m on a striker not to start, be realistic.

You are probably right but Roofe is a converted striker, isn’t he? Think he can also play left inside forward, a side we are slightly weak on.

Think Gerrard wants all the front 3 to be able to run channels and score. They will all interchange whoever they are. If Alfie goes, Roofe would be ideal for doing that from the striker position. If Alfie stays, he could potentially be left inside forward. That might put any Kent return on a back burner though that always looked to be something that would happen late anyway by which time we should know what Morelos is doing.

He started like a house on fire but then did pick up some niggly injuries at important times. His link up play and finishing is excellent and he's decent in the air for his size.

I suspect that Gerrard wants a Liverpool style front three. Interchangeable. All scoring goals. Roofe, Ojo, Kent could fit that profile with a backup of Stewart, Hastie, Jones. Or any mix of that 6. Can probably slot Arfield into that somewhere as well. Then we have Defoe for changing it up to something different. Assuming Morelos goes.

Its not Salah, Firmino and Mane but I'm sure you get the idea.

Yep, totally agree with that. For it to work, you need each chipping in with 15-20 goals though. And I think that falls down with Kent, burdening two others who have never been that prolific. It causes concern for me.

Yep, totally agree with that. For it to work, you need each chipping in with 15-20 goals though. And I think that falls down with Kent, burdening two others who have never been that prolific. It causes concern for me.

Kent would certainly need to up his output. On the other hand, I'd expect us to get more from the likes of Arfield (if you play him there) and Aribo in our midfield than Liverpool do from theirs.

He's not a false 9 & can play the lone striker role fine. Indeed he plays as a lone striker most of the time for Leeds.

Yes he is a different player from Morelos, he is more about intelligent movement, getting in behind the defence than a physical forward. However he works hard & creates room for other players. His link up play is also v good.

One interesting point to note is that Leeds were one of the top crossers of the ball in the Championship last season. Bielsa loves focussing on wing play. Guess who was the lone striker in the middle feeding off these crosses?

Hasn't he been dropped for Bamford since Bamford returned from his cruciate ligament injury at the end of January? I like Roofe, but as I say, would be worried to lose the 'Morelos type option' from the squad.

Hasn't he been dropped for Bamford since Bamford returned from his cruciate ligament injury at the end of January? I like Roofe, but as I say, would be worried to lose the 'Morelos type option' from the squad.

He picked up a knee injury in mid-February and was out for a few weeks. Even when subsequently fit, he was coming off their bench for the remainder of the season, with only 2 starts in their last 15 matches. That after having been very much first choice striker - when fit - up to that point.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/kemar-roofe/leistungsdaten/spieler/141350/plus/0?saison=2018

We've a few who follow Leeds on here but they've been strangely silent on this one. Be good to get some feedback from them.

No. Bamford only really played when Roofe was injured or just returning from injury.

Roofe is their nailed on first choice striker.

No. Bamford only really played when Roofe was injured or just returning from injury.

Roofe is their nailed on first choice striker.

Indeed.

Majority of Leeds fans point to Roofe getting injured at the end of the season costing them automatic promotion and then in the playoffs as well.

I said it in my first post as soon as he was linked but the plan will he for him to be our Aldi Firmino. Similar type of player.

Roofe, not for me I'd prefer Tyler Walker from Forest or Ben Thatcher from 5Live or even unstaunch Liam Ridgewell from Hull
l.jpg

Kent Roofe Ojo

Not saying I’d be against it, but you would need 25 from Roofe, 15-20 from Ojo and 10-15 from Kent. FWIW I think we will see Ojo score 15-20 goals this season. Just whether we would see the same numbers from the other two I am not so sure?

I think SG wants the front three scoring and assisting eachother like the Liverpool front three. The midfield may well chip in for goals but the main job will be to control that area, win the ball back and quickly feed the front three.

Kent Roofe Ojo

Not saying I’d be against it, but you would need 25 from Roofe, 15-20 from Ojo and 10-15 from Kent. FWIW I think we will see Ojo score 15-20 goals this season. Just whether we would see the same numbers from the other two I am not so sure?

You've omitted the goals Arfield and Defoe will score mate. Also, how many did Kent, Morelos and Candeias give us last year? It wasn't 50 I don't think.

You've omitted the goals Arfield and Defoe will score mate. Also, how many did Kent, Morelos and Candeias give us last year? It wasn't 50 I don't think.

I’ve omitted a lot more goals than that mate. What I’m getting at is if that was the first choice front three that’s what I would be expecting from them. I like my team to be scoring around 90 goals in a league winning season. So if you add in 15-20 for JD, 10 for arfield and 15-20 or so for the rest then that adds up to that number.

Our weakness last season apart from some silly goals which led to dropped points was that we never had a wide player up top who contributed what I think ojo will contribute this season.

I’ve omitted a lot more goals than that mate. What I’m getting at is if that was the first choice front three that’s what I would be expecting from them. I like my team to be scoring around 90 goals in a league winning season. So if you add in 15-20 for JD, 10 for arfield and 15-20 or so for the rest then that adds up to that number.

Our weakness last season apart from some silly goals which led to dropped points was that we never had a wide player up top who contributed what I think ojo will contribute this season.

We scored 88 goals as a team the last time we won the league.

We scored 88 goals as a team the last time we won the league.
I’m not even saying we have to score that many I just would like to see that. As I said goals from wide areas were massively missed. Kent was immense in large spells and will improve his numbers again if we are lucky enough to get him back but can you imagine if we had a lovenkrands/cannigia/shota type chipping in with 15-20 goals instead of Candeias? Might just have been the difference.

Kent Roofe Ojo

If Roofe gets 5 less than Morelos then Ojo and ?Kent need to get 5 more than Kent and Candeias.

I suspect Ojo will have 5 more than Candeias by October...

That said, i’m not sure that Roofe will get 25 so your point does stand that we would really need others to step up more

With the front three you posted (Ojo, Roofe and Kent) you are effectively replacing Morelos and Candeias with Ojo and Roofe. Morelos scored 18 league goals last season and Candeias just 5. So, if the new guys scored more than 22 and Kent matched last season we’d be doing ‘better’. Whilst it would be nice, we wouldn’t need anything like the 40-45 you suggest from Roofe and Ojo.

It’s a whole load more complicated than that and, ideally, we’d have goals from all over the team. It’s not as simple as saying player A needs to score x goals and player B needs to score y goals. They ALL need to score goals. We were top scorers both last season and the season before by the way. It’s the draws that killed us and, hopefully, the big Helander will cut out the daft concessions at the back.

With the front three you posted (Ojo, Roofe and Kent) you are effectively replacing Morelos and Candeias with Ojo and Roofe. Morelos scored 18 league goals last season and Candeias just 5. So, if the new guys scored more than 22 and Kent matched last season we’d be doing ‘better’. Whilst it would be nice, we wouldn’t need anything like the 40-45 you suggest from Roofe and Ojo.

It’s a whole load more complicated than that and, ideally, we’d have goals from all over the team. It’s not as simple as saying player A needs to score x goals and player B needs to score y goals. They ALL need to score goals. We were top scorers both last season and the season before by the way. It’s the draws that killed us and, hopefully, the big Helander will cut out the daft concessions at the back.

Ojo Morelos Kent is the best option out of the lot.

Bring in Kent and I would be done for the summer. Roofe is a downgrade on Morelos. Ok, we would have some money to play with, but I don’t see where that is needed (for now).

Back