Kemar Roofe

Ojo Morelos Kent is the best option out of the lot.

Bring in Kent and I would be done for the summer. Roofe is a downgrade on Morelos. Ok, we would have some money to play with, but I don’t see where that is needed (for now).

I wouldn’t dispute that - but two would be loanees and the other a player that, come every transfer window, we expect to leave. Not ideal, but I can understand that a short-term view might be appropriate this season.

I wouldn’t dispute that - but two would be loanees and the other a player that, come every transfer window, we expect to leave. Not ideal, but I can understand that a short-term view might be appropriate this season.

Let’s smash this season with the best 3 options, let Kent and Ojo get giddy, then sign them next summer with the Morelos money whilst signing Roofe on a Bosman. Too easy? Haha.

I am not one to consider there is much value to be had at the top end of the English Championship. In my eyes it is one of the most overrated markets out there. This is a league where at times Teemu Pukki, Ross McCormack or dare I say 'Waggy' have been considered as among the top strikers in the division.

Perhaps Roofe is worth 5-10m and would be a revelation if we signed him. However, i can't help feel that a committed and 'screwed the nut' Morelos provides a far higher upside and chance of delivering 55. Maybe I am wrong but I see Alfie with the potential to one day reach a fairly high level in the game, Roofe I get the feeling lower to mid EPL might be his limit.

Last edited:
Is there a possibility that we’ll try and get Roofe in now even with Alfie here? We need a third striker and haven’t spend much by way of transfer fees so far so spending close to £9m on 2 players would be a real statement of intent. The early transfer chat was that we’d spend “big” on lesser numbers!!
No I'll Phil says we are skint so we can,t afforded them.

With the front three you posted (Ojo, Roofe and Kent) you are effectively replacing Morelos and Candeias with Ojo and Roofe. Morelos scored 18 league goals last season and Candeias just 5. So, if the new guys scored more than 22 and Kent matched last season we’d be doing ‘better’. Whilst it would be nice, we wouldn’t need anything like the 40-45 you suggest from Roofe and Ojo.

It’s a whole load more complicated than that and, ideally, we’d have goals from all over the team. It’s not as simple as saying player A needs to score x goals and player B needs to score y goals. They ALL need to score goals. We were top scorers both last season and the season before by the way. It’s the draws that killed us and, hopefully, the big Helander will cut out the daft concessions at the back.
I disagree and you’ve missed my point mate, but I will come back with a response once I have a wee bit more time.

I disagree and you’ve missed my point mate, but I will come back with a response once I have a wee bit more time.

Fair enough bud. I agree your point about not relying so heavily on a single player to get the goals by the way - I just think the figures you’ve laid at the feet of Ojo and Kent (as many as 35 between them) is way too big an ask. 20-25 much more realistic - though I’d happily take more, of course.:) Getting back to the point of the thread, I reckon Roofe could match Morelos output of 18 league goals, even though he’s not such a good player.

I am not one to consider there is much value to be had at the top end of the English Championship. In my eyes it is one of the most overrated markets out there. This is a league where at times Teemu Pukki, Ross McCormack or dare I say 'Waggy' have been considered as among the top strikers in the division.

Perhaps Roofe is worth 5-10m and would be a revelation if we signed him. However, i can't help feel that a committed and 'screwed the nut' Morelos provides a far higher upside and chance of delivering 55. Maybe I am wrong but I see Alfie with the potential to one day reach a fairly high level in the game, Roofe I get the feeling lower to mid EPL might be his limit.
Agree- shopping in England is mental. Worst value possible.

Kent Roofe Ojo

Not saying I’d be against it, but you would need 25 from Roofe, 15-20 from Ojo and 10-15 from Kent. FWIW I think we will see Ojo score 15-20 goals this season. Just whether we would see the same numbers from the other two I am not so sure?

You do know we were top goalscorers last season without two mentioned?

Folk on here love to be negative.

You do know we were top goalscorers last season without two mentioned?

Folk on here love to be negative.

Who says I was being negative?! It was the opposite I was saying what I would like and hope when we improve next season.

You do know we finished second? Behind a bad Celtic team?! That’s not acceptable to me. If we had a wide player scoring 10-15 goals we would probably have won the title.

Ojo Morelos Kent is the best option out of the lot.

Bring in Kent and I would be done for the summer. Roofe is a downgrade on Morelos. Ok, we would have some money to play with, but I don’t see where that is needed (for now).

You’d drop Arfield Growler ?

A petulant kick out, a forearm to the face and leaving his leg in on McKenna I like him as a player but he really needs to cut that out if he wants to play at a higher level.

I actually came on here hoping there was an update on the topic at hand!

Not one of the red cards at pittodrie were warranted and FF said so at the time.
If they are warranted or not the ref gave them and Morelos put himself into that situation other strikers would have not acted petulant by swiping kicks etc at players it's gives the referee a chance to send him of he needs to stop giving them that chance

People are just daft trying to compare Roofe and Morelos as players. Can Roofe occupy a defence on his own the way Morelos does? No but can Morelos drag defences all over the camp and cause havoc with his pace, movement and link up in the way Roofe does? No!

It's comparing apples with oranges guys. If Roofe is Alfie's replacement then it points to us going with a different style up top which I dont have a problem with.

Part of our issue last season against teams with deep lying defenses etc was our predictably as a team. Our whole style was based around Morelos, lump the ball up to him and expect him to cause havoc or get the ball wide and look to hit him with crosses early.

I can see the thinking from Gerrard by looking to go with an interchangeable front 3 with lots of pace and movement. It's a lot harder to defend against than a target man with two wide players hugging the touchline and in theory should help us break down these low blocks a bit easier.

People are just daft trying to compare Roofe and Morelos as players. Can Roofe occupy a defence on his own the way Morelos does? No but can Morelos drag defences all over the camp and cause havoc with his pace, movement and link up in the way Roofe does? No!

It's comparing apples with oranges guys. If Roofe is Alfie's replacement then it points to us going with a different style up top which I dont have a problem with.

Part of our issue last season against teams with deep lying defenses etc was our predictably as a team. Our whole style was based around Morelos, lump the ball up to him and expect him to cause havoc or get the ball wide and look to hit him with crosses early.

I can see the thinking from Gerrard by looking to go with an interchangeable front 3 with lots of pace and movement. It's a lot harder to defend against than a target man with two wide players hugging the touchline and in theory should help us break down these low blocks a bit easier.
This is absolutely bang on.

Polar opposite players, if we do get Roofe in it’ll be quite exciting to watch our attacking play with the intelligence & movement of guys like Roofe, Arfield, Defoe and co.

You are absolutely right. Morelos replaced by Roofe is a downgrade. I hope Alfie stays another window or even 2.

Morelos is a better player than Roofe.

Folk that can't see how good Morelos is are just daft.

Different styles of players, but as an out and out striker I'd say Morelos is far superior mate.

Morelos will score more goals over a season too.

I'd say Roofe would be the more flexible player and would be comfortable playing anywhere across the front.

Back