Kenny Dalglish urges next Celtic manager to learn the Steven Gerrard lesson Rangers boss worked out instantly

BlueMeanie

Rangers manager has impressed Dalglish with how he has handled one of the most demanding jobs in football.

0_FILES-FBL-ENG-PR-LIVERPOOL-HEALTH-VIRUS.jpg

Kenny Dalglish believes the first thing a new Celtic manager should do is learn a valuable lesson from his new enemy.
The Parkhead and Liverpool icon reckons refusing to underestimate Rangers' magnitude is one of the key components of Steven Gerrard's Ibrox success.
And it's something he insists whoever replaces Neil Lennon in the Parkhead dugout must appreciate.

Dalglish has watched Gerrard skilfully navigate the nuances and intricacies of one of football's most demanding environments, culminating in this season's Premiership title.
He said: "I think the most important thing, and Steven Gerrard has done it fantastically well, if you look back over what he has done, is not to underestimate Celtic," said the three-time European Cup winner.

"Steven has never, ever underestimated Rangers, the size of the club. He had respect for the club, he had respect for the people who supported the club, everything about it. He is appreciative in every way of how the people at Ibrox have supported him both financially and otherwise. You can see that has done him no harm at all either.

"If you get somebody who knows what the club means it is important. But if you don't know the history of Celtic Football Club you have got problems right away. It is a demanding job and they are right to be demanding. They want to have success.
Some people might say: 'It is only one team you have to beat!' But you have to play them four times in the league.
"It is not an easy problem to solve because Rangers are miles ahead of Celtic at the moment. As they are progressing, Celtic are in transition."
Eddie Howe looked destined for the job this time last week but the waters have since been muddied by a number of stumbling blocks in negotiations.

Dalglish, however, is staying calm.
He added: "The first thing you have got to ascertain is if he has been asked.
"Everybody wants to get ahead of themselves.
"I think it is best if you just wait and see who has been approached and who is going to accept it before you start talking about what they are going to do."

Dalglish is in a bit of a weird predicament.

He’ll want to see his old club do well, but he’ll also want to see one of Liverpool’s favourite sons succeed too, and he probably still reserves a soft spot for us anyway given it’s the club he supported as a boy.

He’s right though, but it’s not a lesson the Great Unwashed will ever agree with - they still fully believe they lost the league this season rather than we won it and they simply do not accept that we are now the team to beat.

It’s a mentality that has infested every level of that club and ultimately led them to where they are now.

Perhaps the new broom sweeping out the old order will allow the new incumbents to see things differently, but it’s probably only a matter of time before the ingrained bitterness and hatred in the very walls over there begins to infect them too.

Rangers manager has impressed Dalglish with how he has handled one of the most demanding jobs in football.

0_FILES-FBL-ENG-PR-LIVERPOOL-HEALTH-VIRUS.jpg

Kenny Dalglish believes the first thing a new Celtic manager should do is learn a valuable lesson from his new enemy.
The Parkhead and Liverpool icon reckons refusing to underestimate Rangers' magnitude is one of the key components of Steven Gerrard's Ibrox success.
And it's something he insists whoever replaces Neil Lennon in the Parkhead dugout must appreciate.

Dalglish has watched Gerrard skilfully navigate the nuances and intricacies of one of football's most demanding environments, culminating in this season's Premiership title.
He said: "I think the most important thing, and Steven Gerrard has done it fantastically well, if you look back over what he has done, is not to underestimate Celtic," said the three-time European Cup winner.

"Steven has never, ever underestimated Rangers, the size of the club. He had respect for the club, he had respect for the people who supported the club, everything about it. He is appreciative in every way of how the people at Ibrox have supported him both financially and otherwise. You can see that has done him no harm at all either.

"If you get somebody who knows what the club means it is important. But if you don't know the history of Celtic Football Club you have got problems right away. It is a demanding job and they are right to be demanding. They want to have success.
Some people might say: 'It is only one team you have to beat!' But you have to play them four times in the league.
"It is not an easy problem to solve because Rangers are miles ahead of Celtic at the moment. As they are progressing, Celtic are in transition."
Eddie Howe looked destined for the job this time last week but the waters have since been muddied by a number of stumbling blocks in negotiations.

Dalglish, however, is staying calm.
He added: "The first thing you have got to ascertain is if he has been asked.
"Everybody wants to get ahead of themselves.
"I think it is best if you just wait and see who has been approached and who is going to accept it before you start talking about what they are going to do."
I think very shortly , everybody is going to be aware of the history of Celtc a whole episode that they refuse to accept or even discuss.

A very thorough reality check is a basic requirement for any incoming manager. Forget the nine in a row, ANYONE not just Rangers supporters, some sane Celtic fans know it well, the nine in a row was surrendered not achieved on the back of an almost catastrophic demise of Scotland's team and piss poor opposition they faced week in week out, their pathetic European record is the real benchmark during that "era".Betty Boo could have managed at least eight of those titles during that miserable time for the Scottish game.

Kenny knows the score alright and absolutely right in his words of admiration at what not only S'G has achieved but the remarkable turnaround from top to bottom at Ibrox and especially one of the most loyal and powerful fan base in world football. During their time Lennon and Desmond alienated more Scottish people than anyone. Lennon much more so than Rodgers, annoying and all that he is. Lennon oozes putrid Catholic hate/envy,have already stated Celtic are undoubtedly an Irish team playing in Scotland, they will never, ever replace Rangers as Scotland's team even if they won forty in a row, that's a reality right there.

Frankly, couldn't give two f***s who the new manager is, much as I admire Keane it would be more of the same political/religious agenda. But if he's wise and he is, he won't touch it. It must be of bedwetting embarrassment to the fanbase and club that Eddie Howe is clearly waiting to see if he gets an EPL offer, a smidgen of class and they would would have kept their powder dry till it was a done deal, recall sometime ago they were even talking in terms of Mourinho and then later on Benitez, what planet does their fanbase live on? Now they are struggling to convince a manager who did OK at Bournemouth and whose last effort in management was to get them get relegated. There is good reason he's never sniffed a top job in the EPL....

Last edited:
I think the biggest thing fir a knew sellik manager is, park your morals, compassion, sanity, niceness and level headedness the day you enter the building, you won’t be needing them. Your soul will be soiled for all eternity

Reactions: TQ3
I’ve said it before, I’ve always felt Dalglish treated the Tims as a job and nothing more. He did his best to be successful as a professional, but that’s it. He calls it as he sees it, which is fair enough. You always get the feeling that there is still a torch burning in there for us - - bit like Vadar, there is still good in him. B-D

Regardless of the fact he played for the mhob i am sure Kenny had a wee smile when we won 55.
I always remember Dalglish and Phil Thomson, on Sky, discussing the second leg of the Battle of Britain against Leeds back in 1992.
(Nearly thirty years ago, I’ll pause for a second or two here, thirty feckin years!)
Anyway Thomson was writing us off.
2-1 was never enough, look at what Leeds did to Stuttgart, they play at a higher level, no Rangers player would get a game for Leeds.
That sort of thing.
Dalglish piped up with not being so sure about all that.
Rangers are a magnificent club.
Goram, Gough and Hateley could easily play for Leeds and McCoist might not be Rush or Fowler but, if he gets a sniff, he (Dalglish) would be expecting a goal.
Not the only time he’s promoted Rangers.
Of course, he’s went against us as well.

Back