Kenny Jackett - Ross Is Pompey's Right Back

Wel they're wrong mate and anyone who's ever stood next to him, or ever goes to our games would know that.

He's a head smaller than Goldson, Katic, his brother etc.

Can't believe any Rangers supporter thinks Ross McCrorie is the same height as our 4 central defenders.
Well the Portsmouth official website also has him listed as 191 cm (which is 6’3).

But aye ok, u continue with your insinuation that I’m not a rangers fan

Well the Portsmouth official website also has him listed as 191 cm (which is 6’3).

But aye ok, u continue with your insinuation that I’m not a rangers fan

Please stop this pish.

I never said you weren't a Rangers fan, but %^*& me, have you ever seen McCrorie next to Goldson and Katic?

He's like a wee boy.

Somebody recently posted a team photo on here just to show how wrong his Wiki height is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please stop this pish.

I never said you weren't a Rangers fan, but %^*& me, have you ever seen McCrorie next to Goldson and Kstic?

He's like a wee boy.

Somebody recently posted a team photo on here just to show how wrong his Wiki height is.
Wtf are u even on about, his height is 6’3, it’s listed everywhere, he’s not 6 foot. You’re simply just wrong.

as for ur ridiculous post about him being a whole head smaller than Goldson, go look at last years team photo, they’re both standing at the back line, shoulders are the same and Goldson is a lil bit taller in the head.

Wtf are u even on about, his height is 6’3, it’s listed everywhere, he’s not 6 foot. You’re simply just wrong.

as for ur ridiculous post about him being a whole head smaller than Goldson, go look at last years team photo, they’re both standing at the back line, shoulders are the same and Goldson is a lil bit taller in the head.

Robby was even talking about it a couple of weeks ago how they both used to be the same height, but Ross hasn't grown since he was 18 and he's now 3 inches bigger than him.

Can't be bothered going back and forward arguing about it.

Gerrard has already said he's not got the physicality to play in central defence.

You don't say that about someone who's 6ft 3in.

Robby was even talking about it a couple of weeks ago how they both used to be the same height, but Ross hasn't grown since he was 18 and he's now 3 inches bigger than him.

Can't be bothered going back and forward arguing about it.

Gerrard has already said he's not got the physicality to play in central defence.

You don't say that about someone who's 6ft 3in.
Ok, some of that I can agree with. Robbie is taller, he’s 6’4. But I wouldn’t put it past the quote ur using to have a lil bit of brotherly/masculine banter

and just because someone is 6’3, 6’10 or whatever doesn’t make them physically suited for CB. Cannavaro was tiny but was superb

Wel they're wrong mate and anyone who's ever stood next to him, or ever goes to our games would know that.

He's a head smaller than Goldson, Katic, his brother etc.

Can't believe any Rangers supporter thinks Ross McCrorie is the same height as our 4 central defenders.
It seems we have the Ross McCrorie height debate on an almost weekly basis, you are absolutely correct Mearnsunionist, he is 6 ft at the most, whoever put the details on wiki is incorrect, I have spoken to Ross many times and as I have said before he is at least 3 inches shorter than my son, my son is 6 ft 3

Don't see him working out at RB for us in the future so don't like that he's being played there. He lacks the dribbling and crossing ability that is vital in fullbacks these days for teams that are consistently attacking the other team.

It seems we have the Ross McCrorie height debate on an almost weekly basis, you are absolutely correct Mearnsunionist, he is 6 ft at the most, whoever put the details on wiki is incorrect, I have spoken to Ross many times and as I have said before he is at least 3 inches shorter than my son, my son is 6 ft 3

Thank %^*& for your intervention @Bigclinthill.

Hopefully that's this triviality closed.

As I reported yesterday, lack of confidence going forward and sideways passing in a team that can’t wait to pass the buck instead of the ball.
He needs a better manager than Jacket at the moment as individuals they all have something to offer but collectively absolutely he-haw.
Jacket Out

I don't think he's quick, nimble or agile enough to be a full back but I wait to proven wrong on that.

His best position is a domineering central player who can win 50/50 challenges and aerial duels, whilst able to utilise his athleticism across the pitch.

I think his strengths are wasted as a full back.

I read someone say recently that their favourite player of ours from the last 15 years was Sasa Papac, a left back who was not "quick, nimble or agile". sometimes we just need our full backs to be solid and win the 50/50's. There's times recently where we'd all trade that for Tav's strange combination of goals, assists and bombscares.

At this stage in his career, I wonder what McCrorie would say if you asked him what his best position was.

He needs to be able to answer that question with authority in the next year or so, or to me risks becoming a jack of all trades and master of none. Modern day utility man.
a younger Andy Halliday really

For his own sake he needs to find a position and stick with it. It isn't a central midfielder though. Needs to lose the utility man tag.

Thank %^*& for your intervention @Bigclinthill.

Hopefully that's this triviality closed.
This picture pretty much ends the debate that he’s 6 ft 3.
4221396001_5810336665001_5810337595001-vs.jpg

Bit weird. Gerrard went and took shots at Caixinha for playing him in defence when he said he was clearly a midfielder.

Can’t imagine this does anything for Ross going forward long term for us, would rather he was playing in the position that our manager see’s as his natural one.

Lot of folk ready with the “recall McCrorie and drop Tav” hot-takes soon though.
Gerrard's criticism was at him specifically being played at centre half.

He had to mate, or he'd barely have kicked a ball this season.

He's still trying to find his feet in English League 1, where Rossiter, Docherty and Hastie have all cruised it.
I go along with you to the extent Ross
was sadly not going to be playing ahead of SG’s favourites. Last season
he did well for a youngster coming into the team. In 16 starts and 15 sub. apps. he was only on a losing side twice, both away to Rapid Vienna and
Them. I don’t know how far back you go MU but in a raw young RMcC I see
a raw young John Greig. He started as
an understudy inside-right to the Wee
Prime Minister Ian MacMllan before
dropping back to right-half and then across the back 4. He learned his trade playing and training with the Greats of that time. Young Ross should be doing the same learning from SG and GMac on the training
ground and Ryan Jack and Steven Davis, while we have him. At his age
SG should be protecting him instead of playing him 2 games a week.
Our rookie manager should not have Ross on loan at Portsmouth or any other club. He should be giving him
playing time instead of messing with him. Hopefully young Ross will follow
in the footsteps of the illustrious John Greig.

I go along with you to the extent Ross
was sadly not going to be playing ahead of SG’s favourites. Last season
he did well for a youngster coming into the team. In 16 starts and 15 sub. apps. he was only on a losing side twice, both away to Rapid Vienna and
Them. I don’t know how far back you go MU but in a raw young RMcC I see
a raw young John Greig. He started as
an understudy inside-right to the Wee
Prime Minister Ian MacMllan before
dropping back to right-half and then across the back 4. He learned his trade playing and training with the Greats of that time. Young Ross should be doing the same learning from SG and GMac on the training
ground and Ryan Jack and Steven Davis, while we have him. At his age
SG should be protecting him instead of playing him 2 games a week.
Our rookie manager should not have Ross on loan at Portsmouth or any other club. He should be giving him
playing time instead of messing with him. Hopefully young Ross will follow
in the footsteps of the illustrious John Greig.

Don't go back nearly long enough to have seen Greig play mate, I'm 27 year old, but I know the history of my club reasonably well.

I know John Greig was comfortable enough playing full back, half back, or even inside forward back in the day.

I also know he played alongside Ronnie McKinnon in central defence in the legendary 3-2 game at Wembley in 1967, when they never gave Jimmy Greaves or Geoff Hurst a kick.

John Greig also scored a shit load of goals for us too.

I'm sure Ross will be delighted to be compared to John Greig.

I'm not convinced he's of that quality mate, but I'll be delighted if you're correct.

I think you're wrong, just because it's wrong on Wiki, which a couple of other sites have copied from Wiki or vise versa, doesn't mean it's correct. He's smaller than his brother who's 6'3.

Imo unless he improves on the ball he has no future with us, in any position

Bit weird. Gerrard went and took shots at Caixinha for playing him in defence when he said he was clearly a midfielder.

Can’t imagine this does anything for Ross going forward long term for us, would rather he was playing in the position that our manager see’s as his natural one.

Lot of folk ready with the “recall McCrorie and drop Tav” hot-takes soon though.
Maybe we feel we need a real right back who knows.

Don't go back nearly long enough to have seen Greig play mate, I'm 27 year old, but I know the history of my club reasonably well.

I know John Greig was comfortable enough playing full back, half back, or even inside forward back in the day.

I also know he played alongside Ronnie McKinnon in central defence in the legendary 3-2 game at Wembley in 1967, when they never gave Jimmy Greaves or Geoff Hurst a kick.

John Greig also scored a shit load of goals for us too.

I'm sure Ross will be delighted to be compared to John Greig.

I'm not convinced he's of that quality mate, but I'll be delighted if you're correct.
Thanks for bringing back the memories when we were ‘ World Champions ‘. Ross will never match
JG’s goal scoring feats but can match
his defensive qualities be it in midfield
or defence and hopefully his inspirational captaincy. Good to talk.

Cheers @Jjbscotty.

Hopefully @johnto will see this and accepts Ross is no taller than 6ft.

He's very slightly taller than Ryan Jack.
It was actually you that said Ross is a whole head shorter than Goldson mate, not me, and he’s not a head shorter in that pic.

guess there’s no point in mentioning that jacks listed as 6 foot and Ross is clearly taller than jack in that photo.

I think you're wrong, just because it's wrong on Wiki, which a couple of other sites have copied from Wiki or vise versa, doesn't mean it's correct. He's smaller than his brother who's 6'3.
You’re welcome to ur opinion buddy. But it’s not just wiki. I’d imagine he’s measured at Portsmouth.

It gets mentioned regularly more, he had the potential to be Tavs replacement in the future. Hopefully he does well there (RB) down south.

Back