Kenny Jackett - Ross Is Pompey's Right Back

Jan Žižka

Kenny Jackett has pinpointed the ‘athleticism’ of Ross McCrorie adding a missing spark to Pompey’s right-back performances.

The Rangers midfielder was surprisingly recalled at full-back for Tuesday evening’s visit of Lincoln.

James Bolton was last summer recruited to replace Nathan Thompson in the role, with the versatile Anton Walkes also challenging.

Yet, against the Imps, both were overlooked in favour of McCrorie at right-back, representing Jackett’s sole change to the side which lost at AFC Wimbledon last weekend.

McCrorie has Scotland under-21 experience in the position, featuring three times there his season.

And, having already cast his eye over the 21-year-old in the role earlier this campaign, Jackett has now returned to the loanee.

He said: ‘I felt teams had been setting up and leaving us slightly open down that side – and we need an athletic player.

‘Ross was caught out once or twice in the first half, but in the second half was a lot better, particularly when there were crosses in from our left-hand side, he defended his far post better and got his bearings.

There was one glimpse of what he can do athletically when he burst out in the second half, and didn't keep going, he played it square to John (Marquis). I do think there’s an athlete there that can bring the ball out from the back.

‘My thinking is that athleticism is something we're needed down that right-hand side and that's the reason.

‘We will see how that develops with Ross and whether we can turn that into, not just carrying the ball, but then breaking lines going forward.

‘I do think it’s a position where, if Ross can find his bearings, there's a really good athlete coming out from the back.

‘He’s played there against Coventry, when I thought he put in a good performance, and came on against Sunderland in that position as well, doing well going forward.

‘Three of his four games for Scotland under-21s this season have been at right-back, so it’s a position I think his athleticism can bring a lot to us.’

Bolton had previously started five-successive League One outings for the Blues.

Now Jackett is weighing up whether to retain McCrorie for Saturday’s visit to Bristol Rovers.

Pompey’s boss added: ‘We will see. There’s a right place and a right time for James, he is good enough to come back, definitely.

‘I’ll have a look at the video, I never really pick my next team straight away after a game.

‘I’ll decide over the next couple of days whether it’s Ross or James Bolton.’

Just what I've been saying on here for the past 2 years.i don't know whoever got the notion that Ross was a midfielder.He spent most of his young career at RB and occasionally CH and a very good RB at that.He never was and never will be a midfielder so I say bring him back and let him battle it out With Tav for the RB slot

Bit weird. Gerrard went and took shots at Caixinha for playing him in defence when he said he was clearly a midfielder.

Can’t imagine this does anything for Ross going forward long term for us, would rather he was playing in the position that our manager see’s as his natural one.

Lot of folk ready with the “recall McCrorie and drop Tav” hot-takes soon though.

Bit weird. Gerrard went and took shots at Caixinha for playing him in defence when he said he was clearly a midfielder.

Can’t imagine this does anything for Ross going forward long term for us, would rather he was playing in the position that our manager see’s as his natural one.

Lot of folk ready with the “recall McCrorie and drop Tav” hot-takes soon though.

he had a go at Murty for that - rather awkwardly given he’s still at the club. Plus RB in this Rangers isn’t the same as an unprotected CB in a terrible Rangers against Celtic

I can’t agree.

Unless his technique and distribution has improved dramatically he won’t be used as a RB for us.

As I said at the weekend though, there is an argument for bringing him back and working on that technique for the next 12-18 months.

I don't think he's quick, nimble or agile enough to be a full back but I wait to proven wrong on that.

His best position is a domineering central player who can win 50/50 challenges and aerial duels, whilst able to utilise his athleticism across the pitch.

I think his strengths are wasted as a full back.

Definitely a place for him in there.

It’s ok not to be Tav.

If one of the two full backs are attacking threats, that’s good going.

Having one sit and narrow the team isn’t a bad idea, ala Flanno at the back end of last season.

Can't imagine we're particularly happy about this, it's good that he's getting game time but his problem before was that he was used in different positions without being able to nail down one that he can call his own. He's been used in midfield and CB with us, Gerrard said he's not a CB so it's fair to assume we put him out on loan to get experience playing at DM.

Adding another position to ones that he can kind of 'fill in' for isn't going to help him. He has to be able to nail down a single position, if that's to be RB then it's for Rangers to decide.

Is there a recall option in Jan, if so, it'll be interesting to see if we take up that option and loan him out elsewhere so he can play at DM.

Reactions: TQ3

Always thought that was bonkers from Gerrard, he is a defender all day long. At full back he will be more of a solid Flano type than a forward thinking Tav type as well.

That was for playing him at CH to be fair.

At this stage in his career, I wonder what McCrorie would say if you asked him what his best position was.

He needs to be able to answer that question with authority in the next year or so, or to me risks becoming a jack of all trades and master of none. Modern day utility man.

The boy is a natural holding midfield player, who like a young John Greig can operate in the defence.

Had he played against Hearts on Sunday we would have won that game, as it was one that was suited to his particular qualities.
However, he is young and is still raw and needs to work on his passing and play in tight areas.

He will surely go on to star for Rangers in the future.

He's a midfield destroyer type for me. He's got the power and tackling ability, the height and the weight. It would be for certain away games mainly, but you can't keep a player on the books just for that sole purpose, unless he's going to be content with that. I think he could also do a turn at right back but we're lightweight in midfield.

Always thought that was bonkers from Gerrard, he is a defender all day long. At full back he will be more of a solid Flano type than a forward thinking Tav type as well.

Gerrard said he wasn't a central defender, he never mentioned full back.

Ross has got the athleticism and the physique to become a good full back, whereas he doesn't have the physicality or height to be a central defender.

If he can develop his delivery to Tav standards, then he's got a chance at full back.

Last edited by a moderator:
He should never have been allowed out on loan.

He had to mate, or he'd barely have kicked a ball this season.

He's still trying to find his feet in English League 1, where Rossiter, Docherty and Hastie have all cruised it.

Ross has got the athleticism and the physique to become a good full back, whereas he doesn't have the physicality or height to be a central defender.

If he can develop his delivery to Tav standards, then he's got a chance at full back.

just don’t see him running forward in possession of the ball, he’s very much a straight lines sort of player. He could do a solid job at right back but I don’t see him as the attacking outlet we’d be looking for.

never bought into the idea that he’s not big or strong enough to play centre half. He’s a natural athlete, over 6ft and still a young lad.

Can't imagine we're particularly happy about this, it's good that he's getting game time but his problem before was that he was used in different positions without being able to nail down one that he can call his own. He's been used in midfield and CB with us, Gerrard said he's not a CB so it's fair to assume we put him out on loan to get experience playing at DM.

Adding another position to ones that he can kind of 'fill in' for isn't going to help him. He has to be able to nail down a single position, if that's to be RB then it's for Rangers to decide.

Is there a recall option in Jan, if so, it'll be interesting to see if we take up that option and loan him out elsewhere so he can play at DM.

They are having the same problem we had - finding a place for him where he can get regular game time. He is nothing more than a utility man at present.

He needs to nail down a position in the next 12 months or he will only become a squad player at best.

I don't think he is tall enough to be a top class CB but could make it at RB . Well worth a run in the RB position.

Two of the best centre backs of all time were only around 5 ft 8 (Baresi & Cannavaro). McCrorie must be at least 6 ft?

I don't think he's quick, nimble or agile enough to be a full back but I wait to proven wrong on that.

His best position is a domineering central player who can win 50/50 challenges and aerial duels, whilst able to utilise his athleticism across the pitch.

I think his strengths are wasted as a full back.

Disagree with your first paragraph - I think he covers the ground very quickly.

Spot on with the second though.

just don’t see him running forward in possession of the ball, he’s very much a straight lines sort of player. He could do a solid job at right back but I don’t see him as the attacking outlet we’d be looking for.

never bought into the idea that he’s not big or strong enough to play centre half. He’s a natural athlete, over 6ft and still a young lad.

He's only 6 foot mate, which is a about 3 inches smaller than our other 4 central defenders and he's probably a couple of stone lighter too.

Even Ross has admitted he's got no future as a central defender.

He's certainly quick and athletic and if he could work on his delivery and timing of his runs, I think he could develop into a decent full back.

I'll certainly be watching his progress at Pompey over the next couple of months.

Personally don't see it tbh. With the likes of Tav you've got the athleticism but also an unbelievable delivery at times...I don't think Ross has that in his locker.
This for me.
We need our full backs to be attacking options.
Players like Tavernier, Whittaker, Hutton, Stevens and even back to Jardine have nearly always been instrumental to our play.

Not the first time this sort of thing has happened and it won’t be the last!

Walter always played Skippy (when he played him) at right back and ocassionally moved him into midfield at a push where he did a job.
Dick Advocaat rolls up and immediately sees something in him that makes him think he should be a centre back.Moore then goes on to be a stand out there in the coming seasons, with Advocaat and Eck’s treble winning seasons, and also in the CL where he is up against forwards like Van Nistelrooy, Riedle. Yorke, and some young forward called Prso!
Whatever happened to him?

Can't help but agree with everyone here, certainly worth looking at. If he can make himself their first choice RB and demonstrate a) better defensive abilities than Tav and b) comparable attacking ability then I don't see why he couldn't be our first choice.

Tav's best feature is that right foot of his. That cross for Morellos in Denmark was a thing of beauty and he's done that a couple of times this season. Does anyone know if McRorie's delivery is particularly noteworthy? I wasn't terribly impressed with him the first time round, but he was very inexperienced at the time.

He’s 6’3 mate

He's only 6 foot mate, which is a about 3 inches smaller than our other 4 central defenders and he's probably a couple of stone lighter too.

Even Ross has admitted he's got no future as a central defender.

He's certainly quick and athletic and if he could work on his delivery and timing of his runs, I think he could develop into a decent full back.

I'll certainly be watching his progress at Pompey over the next couple of months.

Yeah he is smaller than the rest, but plenty good players that play centre half wouldn't dwarf him. Next to a ball winner like Katic he could be excellent in that role in the future IMO.

I think Ross was traumatised by his performances against them. I'd argue there are many mitigating factors including his inexperience and teammates (especially Russell Martin) which mean that those performances don't need to define his career.

Great way into regular games for him.

Nowhere near ready to play at CM or CB for Rangers yet, and being honest I’m not sure if he ever will be.

Yeah he is smaller than the rest, but plenty good players that play centre half wouldn't dwarf him. Next to a ball winner like Katic he could be excellent in that role in the future IMO.

I think Ross was traumatised by his performances against them. I'd argue there are many mitigating factors including his inexperience and teammates (especially Russell Martin) which mean that those performances don't need to define his career.

Playing alongside Martin certainly didn't help mate, but he made bad individual errors against them at Hampden, before getting sent off.

We've got 4 guys who are way better than him in central defence.

Our defence has improved immeasurably since Ross last played in central defence for us.

I like him and hope he still may have a future with us, but it won't be in central defence.

Playing alongside Martin certainly didn't help mate, but he made bad individual errors against them at Hampden, before getting sent off.

We've got 4 guys who are way better than him in central defence.

Our defence has improved immeasurably since Ross last played in central defence for us.

I like him and hope he still may have a future with us, but it won't be in central defence.

His individual errors were almost entirely related to trying to win the ball every time it came near him, rather than holding his position. That's exactly the sort of error I'd expect from a young lad, against more powerful forwards than he ever faced, in the youths he probably brushed forwards aside due to his strength.

I still have hope for him in that position at a high level, it will be hard for him with us now though with 4 ahead of him. However we will sell one or two of those as younger players come on so who knows.

j
Two of the best centre backs of all time were only around 5 ft 8 (Baresi & Cannavaro). McCrorie must be at least 6 ft?

Fair comment but they were exceptional . Just feel you need to be a bit over 6 ft to make it now. Just a pity he has not grown to same height as his brother.

Disagree with your first paragraph - I think he covers the ground very quickly.

Spot on with the second though.

We need to get used to the idea that our right back after Tavernier won't contribute anywhere near the goals and assists he does. He's a real exception that way.

McCrorie might be able to do well in that position, and that's something many have suggested for a while now. Plenty of players flit between full back and defensive midfield in their careers.

Ross mccrorie is listed as 6’3 on wiki and 190 cm (6’3) on transfermarkett

Well they're wrong mate and anyone who's ever stood next to him, or ever goes to our games would know that.

He's a head smaller than Goldson, Katic, his brother etc.

Can't believe any Rangers supporter thinks Ross McCrorie is the same height as our 4 central defenders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate to say it but if he can’t break into the Portsmouth team ahead of their centre mids or centre halves then I don’t see him making it here.

He had also come back from a lengthy injury spell so wasn’t match sharp.

Back