Kenny McLean shares Rangers transfer dream

dh1963

Scotland cap Kenny McLean admits he would be open to a move to Rangers as he gears up for a return to the Premier League.
The midfielder is recovering from a knee ligament injury that kept him out of Steve Clarke 's Euro 2020 squad having earned promotion with Norwich last term.

The former St Mirren and Aberdeen star, however, has admitted he would love a move to Ibrox to play for his boyhood heroes in the future.

Reports had previously linked McLean with a return north of the border with Steven Gerrard named as an admirer of the 29-year-old.

While admitting it would be a dream switch, the Scot is keeping his focus on the Canaries while taking a light-hearted dig at Celtic.

He told The Athletic : "I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t something I’d want to do.

“As a kid that’s what you want to do, play for your boyhood team.

“Right now, I’m about to play in the Premier League again, so I’m not thinking about it!

“But for me and my family, it would be pretty special.

"I grew up a Rangers fan, used to go to the games with my dad and as a kid in Glasgow, you support Rangers or Celtic and you want to play for one of them.

"So, I was on the better side.”

McLean was released by the Rangers youth academy before being picked up by the Buddies set-up and making his first-team breakthrough.

No different from the majority on here who would bite your hand off to be a Rangers player but wont get the chance

Nah, you're alright Kenny.

Good to see him nail his colours to the mast, but we've moved on from that level of mediocrity.

Not good enough for us anymore. Reckon he’d be 6th or 7th choice

Decent player, more rounded since joining Norwich but has knee issues, is 29 (which isn’t old) and I’d genuinely prefer better if I am being honest.

A lot will see, Rangers supporter, and think he’ll be top notch. He’s not quite Graeme Dorrans level of injury prone but I can see him turning out that way. Dorrans in his pomp was a better player.

Prefer it to be sooner rather than later if he is 29.
Got 7 years on Steven Davis! I agree though if we can get him in the next year or so at a similar age as Arfield we will have a great player for years to come

Rather not as it would just be a repeat of the Dorrans transfer.

Wouldnt make the bench if we kept our current batch of midfielders and they were all fit

"I grew up a Rangers fan, used to go to the games with my dad and as a kid in Glasgow, you support Rangers or Celtic and you want to play for one of them.

"So, I was on the better side.”

Has anyone told James Dornan about this?

Rather not as it would just be a repeat of the Dorrans transfer.

Wouldnt make the bench if we kept our current batch of midfielders and they were all fit
Remember that time when we only had 3 fit midfielders. Jack's still not fit, Arfield and Davis are another year older

That is presumably what Lundstram will do.
Talk seems to be a Jack style role.
Even taking Aribo as a midfielder we had 6 players for 3 roles, we dropped down to having only 3 players available last season. With that we also lost the ability to employ both Aribo and Arfield further forward AND give Davis a rest from playing 4 games every 14 days. It might not be Kenny but even with Kelly we may need 1 other, but I do think there is an element of snobbiness towards the lad

Talk seems to be a Jack style role.
Even taking Aribo as a midfielder we had 6 players for 3 roles, we dropped down to having only 3 players available last season. With that we also lost the ability to employ both Aribo and Arfield further forward AND give Davis a rest from playing 4 games every 14 days. It might not be Kenny but even with Kelly we may need 1 other, but I do think there is an element of snobbiness towards the lad
No snobbery from me on that score as I wanted us to sign him from Aberdeen as at that point he would have improved us but I don’t think he would be enough of an upgrade for the money he would command as an EPL player.

Yeah also remember that time we signed Lundstram and Ofoborh? :)
Oh well aware, and even with Kelly cutting the mustard (signs look promising) we will need 1 more.
Davis/Arfield a year older so need managed, Jack still not back, Kamara in limbo, Aribo better further forward. Just think we may need 1 more regardless, I have no real passion towards it being McLean but do feel we need 1 more and the snobby dismissal of a EPL player is similar to the filth dismissing the quality of our Lundstram signing

No snobbery from me on that score as I wanted us to sign him from Aberdeen as at that point he would have improved us but I don’t think he would be enough of an upgrade for the money he would command as an EPL player.
Fair, You'd be hoping he runs his contract down like Arfield. Wouldn't be spending millions on anyone

Back