Kenny Miller having a dig

As long as he was at Ibrox and then past his prime, no young striker was getting a game.

No young forward was getting 1st team chances while he was here.

Him signing 1 year deals when finished must've scunnered fu(k out our young guys.

This not applicable to just Miller.

We have put experience before youth for many a year.
We had to sign an established striker to replace Miller, there would had to have been an extraordinary player in the ranks to just come in and replace him from the youth team tbh and there wasn't

There is no comparison between Rangers and Celtic these last years. We lost a team and have played catch up every season since. Judge us from now.

Do Lawell/Hollicom give out wee backhanders for positive stories?

I’m struggling to argue against him. Do we have any players who we’ve really benefitted from coming through the ranks in the last 10-15 years?

Have wee been in an position on or off the pitch in the last decade to do so?

The answer to that is no. People seem to want to ignore what's been going on with us since 2010 or so for the sake of having a dig.

We had to sign an established striker to replace Miller, there would had to have been an extraordinary player in the ranks to just come in and replace him from the youth team tbh and there wasn't

What bit of no young guy was getting a chance because of him and older players are you not getting?

Miller and older guys like him, McCauley recently, were blocking any natural progressive route to the 1st team.

We simply haven't given enough young guys a fair crack and choosing players with experience instead.

This is not just in the last decade either.

Alan Hutton was the last player from our youth development to play at any decent level. Most of our youth products are languishing in the lower championship or lower SPL.

Celtic youths seem more capable of making the final jump. Mikey Johnston didn't look any better than our youth in games last year, yet he is in the first team now

What bit of no young guy was getting a chance because of him and older players are you not getting?

Miller and older guys like him, McCauley recently, were blocking any natural progressive route to the 1st team.

We simply haven't given enough young guys a fair crack and choosing players with experience instead.

This is not just in the last decade either.
The part where there was a player good enough to get a chance

Is the youth there to bring through or should we just bring them through for the sake of it?

I work with a lad who coaches a youth team, think they are seven or eight, they play four a side with no goalkeeper and don't even keep score so that no one wins or loses. Any of them good enough to get picked up by clubs are then forbidden to play for another team or school football.

I'm no expert by any means but if that's how kids today are getting taught no fucking wonder we aren't producing footballers.

Rangers don't have the luxury of playing youngsters when the demands to win every single match are there.

And with a very large squad it is even more difficult to give game time to young players when the likes of Defoe isn't getting as many minutes as he would like.

Alan Hutton was the last player from our youth development to play at any decent level. Most of our youth products are languishing in the lower championship or lower SPL.

Celtic youths seem more capable of making the final jump. Mikey Johnston didn't look any better than our youth in games last year, yet he is in the first team now

eh

charlie adam and allan mcgregor ring any bells

Have wee been in an position on or off the pitch in the last decade to do so?

The answer to that is no. People seem to want to ignore what's been going on with us since 2010 or so for the sake of having a dig.

Ofcourse we’ve been in a position to do so! Perhaps even more so in our years in the lower leagues.

Ok, players that came through the ranks might not have went on to big things and we might have only won the lower leagues by 15pts as supposed to 25 or 30 or whatever it was.

But you can’t tell me there wasn’t at least an opportunity to utilise our “academy” instead of bringing in the likes of Cribari, Celic, Ortiz, sandaza, Bell. Or maybe if not our “academy”, at least recruit the best young talent in the country at that time.

Through the last 15 years theres probably been a handful or so. Hutton, Burke, Wilson, McGregor, McKay, Macleod, at a push Wylde.
I wouldn’t say Burke nailed down a first team place think his most games was 27 odd in 05/06.

Players that Nailed them down and made them theirs are really only McGregor and Hutton. MacLeod obviously was sold and Wilson left after about 9 games only to return and be pish.

We need to bring through more but that can only happen if they’re good enough of course, no point if they aren’t

Much easier to nurture young players into a winning team to see if they will make it, rather than trying youth to must win right away. A few exceptions get some game time.

There’s no way Kenny is having a dig, he is just speaking the truth.

It you want to get angry then obviously you will find something but that’s just normal on FF.

There are of course mitigating factors as to why our youth set up has been so crap, and we all know it was completely restructured under Warburton so hopefully we will start to see the benefit of that over the next few years.

It also doesn’t help losing absolute gems like Billy Gilmour to Chelsea. I often wonder if Gerrard has been in charge rather than Pedro, would that have helped us keep him? It’s a question we will never know the answer to.

Scottish teams at most levels full of youngsters of ours.

Hopefully some will make it.

Time will tell but we aren't going to play young guys that aren't ready.

even if we did have many, there isn't exactly a guarantee they'd play? and if they did, they'd get booed by the tranny army more likely

I wish we did but I don't want them playing for that lot with the hatred they have for our club

“Questions need to be asked”

Well Kenny, here’s the answers:

We spent 4 years in the lower leagues under shambolic ownership, which included amongst other things selling one of our better prospects in a long time in Lewis MacLeod just as he was coming to prominence to keep the lights on.

Celtic were able to blood the likes of Tierney in their first team at a decent level and on mostly decent pitches due to the fact they could have played with a 5-a-side team and still won trophies during those years.

Rangers as a club aren’t blameless in this but it’s hardly rocket science. Thankfully over the last couple of years we seem to be making good strides towards redressing the balance.

I wouldn’t say Burke nailed down a first team place think his most games was 27 odd in 05/06.

Players that Nailed them down and made them theirs are really only McGregor and Hutton. MacLeod obviously was sold and Wilson left after about 9 games only to return and be pish.

We need to bring through more but that can only happen if they’re good enough of course, no point if they aren’t
Burke probably averaged about 30 games a season for 3-4 years. Id imagine a similar average to what Forrest had prior to 2 years ago.

A club bought Macleod after he was an established 1st team player and a standout in our team. Wilson played 25 games after not making his debut until October, won young player of the year and Liverpool spent £3m on him.

Forrest would not of had the time he had at the mentally challengeds if we had been winning titles , he is 28 and has only been producing over the last few years , as his injury record was terrible .
Conjecture really. Even Allan McGregor was out on loan at Dunfermline at 24 and only really established himself the season after.

There’s a few missing Kenny’s point.
End of the day Rangers, whether we like it or not, should have more than one player in the National team. Ferguson, McGregor were already there before ‘Murray Park’.
Charlie Adam as far as I’m aware was a Dundee product. Barrie McKay a Kilmarnock product who spent a year in our Academy then spent a year in our first team before being farmed out on loan until Warburton came in.

Even take celtic out of the equation - our Training Centre for the money that’s been put in to it doesn’t produce enough talent.

“Questions need to be asked”

Well Kenny, here’s the answers:

We spent 4 years in the lower leagues under shambolic ownership, which included amongst other things selling one of our better prospects in a long time in Lewis MacLeod just as he was coming to prominence to keep the lights on.

Celtic were able to blood the likes of Tierney in their first team at a decent level and on mostly decent pitches due to the fact they could have played with a 5-a-side team and still won trophies during those years.

Rangers as a club aren’t blameless in this but it’s hardly rocket science. Thankfully over the last couple of years we seem to be making good strides towards redressing the balance.

If he had the balls to mention a wee snippet then it would mostly be an agreeable argument.

Absolutely mate. I couldn’t really give a toss about the SFA’s
Conjecture really. Even Allan McGregor was out on loan at Dunfermline at 24 and only really established himself the season after.

End of the day Rangers, whether we like it or not, should have more than one player in the National team. Ferguson, McGregor were already there before ‘Murray Park’.
Charlie Adam as far as I’m aware was a Dundee product. Barrie McKay a Kilmarnock product who spent a year in our Academy then spent a year in our first team before being farmed out on loan until Warburton came in.

Even take celtic out of the equation - our Training Centre for the money that’s been put in to it doesn’t produce enough talent.

You missed Hutton mate .

you have missed out Hutton mate .

He is 100% correct in what he is saying.

They have consistently had Forrest, Tierney & McGregor playing all of which have been selected by Scotland. They now have Johnstone playing as well for the first team.

Last season we had McCrorie and Middleton involved, both of which are now out on loan. We only have Jack who is Scottish (bar Shagger who's retired) playing regularly.

I know he's not liked by a lot on here but its hard to argue with what he is saying. We should have had far more first team players from our youth set up.

They have consistently had Forrest, Tierney & McGregor playing all of which have been selected by Scotland. They now have Johnstone playing as well for the first team.

Last season we had McCrorie and Middleton involved, both of which are now out on loan. We only have Jack who is Scottish (bar Shagger who's retired) playing regularly.

I know he's not liked by a lot on here but its hard to argue with what he is saying. We should have had far more first team players from our youth set up.
Compare how many they had before our troubles ?

Burke probably averaged about 30 games a season for 3-4 years. Id imagine a similar average to what Forrest had prior to 2 years ago.

A club bought Macleod after he was an established 1st team player and a standout in our team. Wilson played 25 games after not making his debut until October, won young player of the year and Liverpool spent £3m on him.
I agree about Macleod, honestly thought Burke would’ve played less than that average of I’m honest as I did with Wilson maybe I’m just thinking of league games.

Are we going to bed players in , whilst trying to win a league title and stopping them ? They had no challenge for years and could ease them in no problem .

Yes he’s right but as said we’ve be through hell last seven years . We had to start from scratch if had stuck with the yong players we would still be down the lower leagues. We’ve had lots of changes now it looks like we have it right. They have had it easy if we had still been going do you think they would have as many Scottish players. Not so long ago they didn’t have many. Personally be looking at some players coming through next season.

Don’t think he is having a dig, but he is certainly wanting it both ways.
He was never happy to step aside always wanted to play. Nothing wrong with that, but it may occur to him that if we had another 10 players of his age, experience, fitness and mindset, then no youngster would ever get a chance.

It's just another part of the shitty narrative that Rangers = bad for Scottish football, Celtic are good. Unfortunately our ex-players continually contribute to it.

As an aside, the national team is having its worse period. Maybe these Celtic 'starlets' aren't as good as they are made out.

It's just another part of the shitty narrative that Rangers = bad for Scottish football, Celtic are good. Unfortunately our ex-players continually contribute to it.

As an aside, the national team is having its worse period. Maybe these Celtic 'starlets' aren't as good as they are made out.
The last time Scotland were any good it was under McLeish with Hutton, Weir, Ferguson, McCulloch and Miller in the team.

Exactly, we now have a very good youth set up and won all kinds of trophies last year but until Warburton came in our youth system had been completely neglected for years which is why there are no current internationals that came through our system

Not to mention there was also a raft of players who left the club/pushed into the first-team before they were ready for first-team football. 2012 set us back massively in that regard and pushed lots of players up to levels they weren't at through necessity more than anything.

Had guys like Macleod and McKay been given a bit more time to develop before being thrown into regular first-team football (not to mention the expectations around the team at the time) I've no doubt they'd have gone on to be Scotland regulars. The likes of Ross/Robby McCrorie, Barjonas, Rudden etc are the first real group we've had come right up the ranks without being rushed into the first-team since 2012,

Back