Kenny Miller having a dig

Ofcourse we’ve been in a position to do so! Perhaps even more so in our years in the lower leagues.

Ok, players that came through the ranks might not have went on to big things and we might have only won the lower leagues by 15pts as supposed to 25 or 30 or whatever it was.

But you can’t tell me there wasn’t at least an opportunity to utilise our “academy” instead of bringing in the likes of Cribari, Celic, Ortiz, sandaza, Bell. Or maybe if not our “academy”, at least recruit the best young talent in the country at that time.

The best talent in the country disnt want to come due to the mess we were in and because the likes of Jimmy Sinclair were in charge.

Nothing about the club on or off the park was conducive to youth products.

We brought through the decent ones we had and even then, Ross Perry and others featured more than they should have as they weren't good enough before we started going further down the talent pool

As an aside, the national team is having its worse period. Maybe these Celtic 'starlets' aren't as good as they are made out.
[/QUOTE]

Yep , go figure , it’s not that the mentally challenged players in the team are average , big bad Rangers fault for not producing enough , Funny how when they do moderately well they are the beating heart of the national team :D

its true and largely down to the previous regimes neglect

under Murray it was neglected - leading to McCoist having a crop of youth in Div 3 that really were not up to the job, meaning we saw SPL dross signed

under the next Spiv regime, it was totally forgotten about

at least now we appear to be investing in that area with a lot of Scottish youngsters filling their squads

A lot of fans on here are very defensive. Like it or not Kenny is spot on.

When he was at the club he was always looking to encourage and support our youth players. A lot of youth players have went on record about how Kenny helped them.

I have never seen any of the superstars helping our youths

It seems Kenny and Barry can't help themselves

So were you looking for likes or staunch points?
Where’s he having a dig? He’s stating a widely accepted fact among the clubs supporters.

Unless you know of any gems we’ve unearthed and trained who’ve gone on to achieve a sliver of success?

I have never seen any of the superstars helping our youths

You’ve not paid attention then.
Check out when kids are doing the q & a on twitter and rangers tv etc
They’ll list guys like Kenny and Wallace as players who’d help them etc

How can anyone even compare the two situations? We have been through utter hell the last 7 years and now that we are back the first thought on our mind is instant success and that doesn't come with bedding in youngsters very often. In our absence the puddle drinkers have walked all over every team and had a free run at European football every year, they could have persevered with any youngster good or shite.

Fair enough we don't have many in the first team right now, but we are doing far more for youth development than any other team in the country and its already starting to show at the younger age groups. How about take shots at teams that aren't just recovering from oblivion.

This, has he not seen the shit we have put up with since 2012, we are now just getting back on an even keel. Come back in 5/10 years.

As long as he was at Ibrox and then past his prime, no young striker was getting a game.

No young forward was getting 1st team chances while he was here.

Him signing 1 year deals when finished must've scunnered fu(k out our young guys.

This not applicable to just Miller.

We have put experience before youth for many a year.

Quality before youth.

Kenny is correct but I don’t think the Celtic players mentioned are any superstars. They are playing for the worst Scotland team ever in my opinion.

The best talent in the country disnt want to come due to the mess we were in and because the likes of Jimmy Sinclair were in charge.

We brought through the decent ones we had and even then, Ross Perry and others featured more than they should have as they weren't good enough before we started going further down the talent pool

Aye ok mate......

Kenny is correct but I don’t think the Celtic players mentioned are any superstars. They are playing for the worst Scotland team ever in my opinion.

McGregor is imo, I reckon he could fit into most decent EPL sides outwith the top 6

This group of kids are supposedly the best group we've had for years.If none make it with us you'd have to question if there's really any point Rangers having a youth academy.

Ex players slagging off the club via newspapers should be barred from Ibrox
Not sure about barring them, but ex-players having a pop at us needs to stop. The biggest problem is the Scottish mhedia love giving them a voice! I suspect any supportive comments from our ex-players will at best find a small corner of a page next to the some advert for a self cleaning carpet.

I will suggest our youth products would have been better if over the last 7 years, those running the club had taken more consideration t such things, we had better youth coaches in a better system and the club overall didn't have other priorities for the playing staff in general.

I would like to think now that all of that appears to be sorted we will see more results.

The

Exactly why our youth players don’t stand a chance with some of our support

Exactly why our youth players don’t stand a chance with some of our support

In what sense?

Ross Perry was never going to make it with Rangers as he wasn't good enough. That was evident early on and has been confirmed with his career.

You think I'm judging him or Robbie Crawford too harshly?

I'd be willing to bet I saw more of, gave more consideration to and supported our youth players more than pretty much most of our entire support save for about 7 or 8 fans around that period.

Last edited:
You mean an opinion

No, I mean the facts shown by where the youth players we had at the time have gone in football.

It's fact.

It's also true that the coaching arrangement and management of the youth set up wasn't fit for purpose at the time either. Again, proven by the change to Mulholland taking charge and the improvements we're seeing in the youths already over the last 3 or 4 years.

Facts

Last edited:
I give up with you.

As long as we have Miller types, no youngster will be given the chance to shine.

The old yin was getting the nod no matter what.

You can't see the woods for the trees.

If he gets the nod no matter what surely the manager is to blame. Any manager who plays a youngster who isn't better than an experienced professional risks his job. Managers pick experience as they know what they're getting. "Miller types" are hardened professionals who have done it all and still give their all, they make it very difficult for a manager to put a youngster in ahead of them and deserve credit for that.

Astonishing that people are trying to justify the output of our youth academy.

If Barrie McKay and Charlie Adam are the height of our ambitions then we’d be as well shutting the whole operation down.

It’s seems we’ve been hearing for years how good the ‘current crop’ is and it’s the same again today. It’s just never come to fruition. What makes the current youth talent any different?

Unless there’s a radical overhaul we should genuinely consider whether it’s worth having a youth system. It’s a huge expense with little payoff.

Problem is though , if we were producing international stars from our ranks , would they get picked for duty....?

The mental gymnastics some people perform to have a go at ex Rangers players is laughable. It Miller’s fault he was chosen to play ffs.

Playing old guys like you didn't help the situation.

Did it Kenny?
z6iCUye.gif

No, I mean the facts shown by where the youth players we had at the time have gone in football.

It's fact.

It's also teue that the coaching arrangement and management if the youth set up wawasn't t for purpose at the time either. Again, proven by the change to Mulholland taking charge and the improvements we're seeing in the youths already over the last 3 or 4 years.

Facts

You’ve either went away off in a tangent, misread my point or you’re blootered.

Best just leave it at that.

Sinclair was a big reason our academy was shite. Criag Mulhollands appointment was a big turning point.

Point being?

Was sinclair’s set up the reason why we had absolutely no option but to go and recruit players like cribari, Ortiz, sandaza, Kyle, celic etc.

Was there absolutely no option whatsoever to be more astute and recruit “younger” talent from other teams in Scotland/UK/abroad?

Offer them immediate first team opportunity with our prestigious club in front of 50,000 fans in exchange for dropping down a few divisions instead of playing for their respective teams’ reserves.

The set-up was garbage back in the lower leagues. No doubt about that. But it was an opportunity lost not to look forward into the future instead of recruiting the duds I’ve just mentioned.

You’ve either went away off in a tangent, misread my point or you’re blootered.

Best just leave it at that.

I'm sober. There's no tangent. It's a clear response to what you suggested which others have obviously seen by acknowledging post.

Cherrio then.

Point being?

Was sinclair’s set up the reason why we had absolutely no option but to go and recruit players like cribari, Ortiz, sandaza, Kyle, celic etc.

Was there absolutely no option whatsoever to be more astute and recruit “younger” talent from other teams in Scotland/UK/abroad?

Offer them immediate first team opportunity with our prestigious club in front of 50,000 fans in exchange for dropping down a few divisions instead of playing for their respective teams’ reserves.

The set-up was garbage back in the lower leagues. No doubt about that. But it was an opportunity lost not to look forward into the future instead of recruiting the duds I’ve just mentioned.

Yes Sinclair's set up was the exact reason that we didn't have good enough youth players. That's the point the poster is making.

People keep pretending the lower leagues was some Champ Manager style situation where we had a blank canvas to turn ourselves into Ajax.

We were being run by crooks and incompetents who had no interest in youth players and were only on a money grab.

Nothing was going to happen in the lower leagues which would revolutionise our youth set up in the position we were in.

Last edited:
even if we did have many, there isn't exactly a guarantee they'd play? and if they did, they'd get booed by the tranny army more likely

I wish we did but I don't want them playing for that lot with the hatred they have for our club
Much more likely to get booed at Ibrox for the first mis-placed pass.

Point being?

Yes. Players werent simply going to throw their lot on with us in D3 when they were at their peak and the young guys we had weren't good enough to be long term first-team players (where are they all now?)

This idea we could just go out and cherry pick quality players is mental when we never had a licence to play until 48 hours before our first game.

Even of players DID want to come, where were the transfer fees coming from? Chuckles?

Yes. Players werent simply going to throw their lot on with us in D3 when they were at their peak and the young guys we had weren't good enough to be long term first-team players (where are they all now?)

This idea we could just go out and cherry pick quality players is mental when we never had a licence to play until 48 hours before our first game.

Even of players DID want to come, where were the transfer fees coming from? Chuckles?

So your saying we had no option whatsoever and go for the dud brazillian, Spaniard’s or swede’s, couldn’t have done any better and there was no opportunity lost when we were in the lower leagues?

£5k per week on the likes of these guys and Ian black and we couldn’t afford to invest in younger players? Really? No option other than to spend big wages (relatively speaking) on Kyle, Daly, Bell, etc?

We were in a poor state. No doubt about that. We could’ve done better/wiser/smarter.

Same question to you @Laudrup1

Last edited:
So your saying we had no option whatsoever and go for the dud brazillian, Spaniard’s or swede’s, couldn’t have done any better and there was no opportunity lost when we were in the lower leagues?

£5k per week on the likes of these guys and Ian black and we couldn’t afford to invest in younger players? Really? No option other than to spend big wages (relatively speaking) on Kyle, Daly, Bell, etc?

We were in a poor state. No doubt about that. We could’ve done better/wiser/smarter.

Same question to you @Laudrup1

Playing 17 year olds who weren't good enough wasn't an option which is where the discussion started.

Playing 17 year olds who weren't good enough wasn't an option which is where the discussion started.

No it’s not mate. That’s why I said you were away on a tangent.

We “lost an opportunity” not necessarily by using our own youth players, many of which weren’t up to it - but we could’ve/should’ve opted for or taken a chance on more youthful recruits from other parts of Scotland, UK or abroad.
Would they have been a rip roaring success - who knows?
Would the have joined our club? Most certainly considering the money we paid black, bell, Cribari.
Would we still have got promoted each season? Absolutely. I played in that division, it’s dire and a step down from most top junior leagues. Aucinleck Talbot could’ve won that league.

There was an opportunity there that we never exploited. Instead, we threw money at has beens to get us promoted.
Opportunity lost for the club thanks to the manager, board and Sinclair at the time.

Back