Kent’s assist rate

I don’t get how my question is stupid.
I’m reading stats condemning the player, waste of money etc, and think it fair to ask if other factors are being considered.
Surely that’s not stupid.
Is the stupid thing not considering other factors in the first place?
I said “a bit of a silly question”, “stupid” would have been much stronger. I said it was a bit of a silly question because of course he has created chances that haven’t been taken, you don’t have to explicitly acknowledge that before ever mentioning the stat because it goes without saying, all our players are in the same boat.

Well, thats not the case.
Absolutely not the case.
A lot more is expected, demanded, of Kent than any other player we have, Morelos aside.
Everyone is in the same boat in that all the chances they create aren’t converted.

Did we really pay £5-£7M for Kent or just paper talk? If we did Liverpool must be having a real good laugh at our stupidity.

If it's not hard to understand, why are people like you making such an utter arse of understanding it? Curious to note that i'm the fud, because you can't grasp a basic concept. A novel take on things, but completely consistent with your desire to blame Kent for others not finishing the chances he creates.

I thought this place had reached peak retard as well.

Where have I blamed Kent for others not finishing the chances he creates? You’re the only person in here who thinks it’s black and white.
Everyone agrees our forwards need to do better and that people have missed chances from Kent that should’ve ended in a goal.

You can have a wee run of games where players simply don’t put the chances away or a miss like Morelos from Kamberi from the weekend. This is a full calendar year though. It’s not some freak coincidence. It’s also a year where Kent has played directly beside the top scorer in the country and probably the highest scoring team in that year. If it was simply a problem because of others finishing then Aribo wouldn’t have the number he as when played in a similar position to Kent

You keep using other as an excuse. I guarantee you if Forrest played in Kent’s position for us he’d have a fair amount of assists.

And what’s your explanation for why Barisic, Tavernier and Aribo haven’t had such rotten luck with their chances not being converted?

It’s in part down to the type of chance created by Tav and Borna. Alfie is at his best when he can finish instinctively. No time to think what to do with a cross just meet it with the head. However when he is slipped through and has to face the keeper 1on1 as he often is by Kent or even by Hagi multiple times in the Braga game, Alfie struggles.

I’m by no means arguing that xA stands next to true assists as an equal measurement they don’t. Forrest is outperforming Kent by miles however stats like xA and xG can help add nuance to a conversation. Go watch a replay of the game yesterday and you’ll see that Kent creates 3 clear cut chances for his teammates yesterday 2 of which Tav and Kamberi’s were sitters. His form has been poor but it has been made to look worse by others around him showing equally poor form.

Last edited:
I've not read all the replies as I'm sure it'll be people arguing with each other on specifics.

What I will say is he has shown what he's capable of and I do believe he's very low on confidence in a team which is showing the same lack of confidence right now. He's not been the same since that injury and I believe there's a lot more we should expect from him and will likely come from him.

No answers and just hope he recovers something soon. He has to

This isn't some hard life lesson. It's judging a player based on meaningful stats, not the meaningless stats that we've all grown up on. All these stats matter when you have folk wanting to bin a player for something that he has no control over.

Kent would be top of our assists if the chances he created had been scored. The idea that he's to blame for that is exasperatingly stupid.

You’ve yet to back up your previous claim about Kent and Forrests assists, I asked if you are comparing his expected assists to forrests actual assists to include forrests expected assists to make it a fair comparison. I don’t know where you’re pulling your expected assists stats from or else I’d do it. We’ve got Defoe and Morelos on almost 50 goals this season iirc and our most expensive purchase in a decade hasn’t provided any of those. That to me says the chances he’s creating aren’t quite as good as the stats you’re providing make out!

Kent is clearly a very quick and skilful young player who can turn on a sixpence like Michael Mols once did. On his day he is arguably the best player in the SPL. Lets give him a chance as he aint the only underachiever we have at the moment
I've said it before but I think hes doing too much and all over the pitch.
He needs targets to be set and more defined work area.

Agree with some comments on here that Kent drags people out of position takes 2/3 players out the game at a time to lay it in for others to get assists but he does donkey work . Also got the assist for Alfie away to feyenoord and at home to young boys . A lot of his work goes unoticed like the other night against braga when they broke from our corner he ran by the players holding back to try win it back tries his heart out and works tirelessly think he’s trying too hard

We will sell him if we get offer even close to what we paid.

Our transfer dealings are a joke, probably made a profit on a handful players in last decade. Certainly aren't going to make one on Kent anyways

We will sell him if we get offer even close to what we paid.

Our transfer dealings are a joke, probably made a profit on a handful players in last decade. Certainly aren't going to make one on Kent anyways

That right aye who told you that?

He’s bang average and at 7 million Liverpool must’ve been laughing he couldn’t get near their reserve team

Ryan Kent is a very capable player, not hitting top form, but he is capable of things some guys in our team simply cannot do. He is a big game player. That's important for us as Celtic games can make or break a season. Against Celtic, his pace means they simply cannot push their defenders forward and they need to keep a defensive midfielder in the deep position. I'd like him to have another striker to play off/to when we play smaller teams or actually play the 2nd striker role to support Morelos. He's young and needs some support and patience. Biggest issue? Its not scoring. Its not creating chances. It's defending properly.

He hasn't lived up to the form he shown whilst on loan. However, he's still a very good player. He's not going to become shit just because we've paid a healthy sum for him.

He'll be back on form. Everyone seems to be struggling at the moment - there is something clearly wrong behind the scenes.

Hold on, off the top of my head, he created 3 chances yesterday!
Alfredo fu*ked one
Tav fu*ked one
I think Arfield or Jack the other!
Blaming Kent because we don’t have players who can finish seem unfair, even by follow follow standards

Kent was one of the better players against St Johnstone, so I’m not holding him accountable at all for that result. But if we’re being honest he’s been rank rotten in most of our other games this year and he really isn’t doing anywhere close to enough.

I find the massaging of statistics and attempts to ignore what’s obvious if you use your two eyes a bit tragic to be honest (That’s not aimed at you). The bottom line is Kent isn’t playing well and he’s not doing anywhere near enough. That being said Kamara, Katic, Goldson, Tav, Jack and Davis have all had poor games and have looked a mile off it at various points too so I do feel like Kent and Morelos are carrying a disproportionate amount of the blame.

I could play for us and Messi could set me up 50 times in a game. i would miss 50 times, and as a result Messi's assists would be zero. This is what happens in many of our games. so by FF reckoning that would make Messi shit! I utterly despair of our support. do we simply hate our own players or are we just unbelievably stupid.

The last few has made it very clear that Hagi and Kamberi should be the only certain starters up front in the starting line-up. Morelos and Kent should be dropped till they up their game.

Whilst Kent has been frustrating since the winter break - like majority of the squad. I still feel there’s a player in Ryan Kent. His performance and the goal he scored at the Piggery was sensational.

When the team find consistent form domestically, I feel he will improve his own individual game.

19 league games
6 goals
0 assists

contrast and compare with Forrest
26 games
10 goals
16 assists

or Christie
22 games
11 assists
11 goals (takes penalties though)

or even Mcgregor
28 games
7 goals
7 assists

Grim reading

And Forrest is meant to be having a poor season by tims accounts.

Last edited:
His goals and assists are woefully low this season and last. Comparison with Forrest is very stark in comparison.

James Forrest
This Season 43 games 16 goals 21 assists

Ryan Kent
This Season 28 games 6 goals 4 assists

James Forrest
Last Season 56 games 18 goals 20 assists

Ryan Kent
Last Season 43 games 6 goals 9 assists

Back