Kent injury

Look at Kent’s record with us last season picked up about 3 of these injuries that kept him out for a few weeks each time. It’s going to happen with him. Probably due to how he plays and the way he twists and turns

Thought it was a ridiculous decision to put him in from the start, the boy has barely kicked a ball since May. Hopefully not too serious.
Why? He was injured within half an hour to Livi at home. The same thing could easily have happened if he’d come off the bench.

The injury had f*ck a to do with him starting the game. The threads on here get more ridiculous by the day they really do.

The worry is recurring hamstring issues. He had one or two last season that I recall. He was out with a hamstring injury for a number of weeks prior to the December Old Firm last season.

He will probably be looking at being out for at least 4-6 weeks. Nightmare.

The injury had f*ck a to do with him starting the game. The threads on here get more ridiculous by the day they really do.

The worry is recurring hamstring issues. He had one or two last season that I recall. He was out with a hamstring injury for a number of weeks prior to the December Old Firm last season.

He will probably be looking at being out for at least 4-6 weeks. Nightmare.

He walked off without a limp at all, hopefully it’s just a minor tweak.

There really isn’t a debate, starting him, or bringing him on as a sub makes no difference, he could pull his hamstring any time.

he did a full pre season with Liverpool, and only missed 2 reserve games, he was fit and giving him an hour or so against Livingston at Ibrox was a no brainer.

We will agree to disagree .

We now have our £7 million pound new signing sitting in the stand for several weeks missing massive games including Europa league starting Thursday , for me and many others it was a mistake to play him and now we count the cost .

Clearly you can’t be arsed actually debating it properly so we will leave it there .

He's right though. Whether he started, came on for 20 minutes or didn't play at all for another fortnight, this type of injury has as much chance of happening. Factually accurate so it's nonsense to say otherwise.

He did preseason and has still been training since May. Another fortnight of training with us would just be more of the same. He has to play a game at some point.

I don't know anything about sports science or the body.... But does it mean that Kent will now be more susceptible to hamstring injuries?

SG was furious because Ryan Jack came back from international duty crocked through over training and now we have Ryan Kent injured through a questionable fitness condition. Bit of a contradiction if you ask me.

Ha ha, you’ve been reading the shite on that Ibrox Noise site haven’t you. Dear oh dear.

I guarantee if there was a poll on here before the game whether Kent should start or not it would have been 90 odd % in favour of him starting so let’s give the Gaffer some slack ffs.

You only have to look at the teams folk were posting pre-match to see that. Overwhelming majority had Kent as a starter.

Shit happens. It happened 5 minutes before half time, it could just as easily have happened 5 minutes before the end if he’d come on as a sub.

I hope it’s not the case but I’d expect him to be out until after the next international break now.

We will agree to disagree .

We now have our £7 million pound new signing sitting in the stand for several weeks missing massive games including Europa league starting Thursday , for me and many others it was a mistake to play him and now we count the cost .

So just to be clear, you didn't think he should have played any part yesterday, even as a sub?

I think it does make a difference but it’s relative to the score at the time .

We asked him to start a must win game and against a team with ten men packed behind the ball . A lot of pressure on him to make the difference , Kent was running about mad chasing lost causes the lot . Far more likely to ping a hammy running full pelt than at any other time .

For his first competitive game in months and given that he trained on his own for much of pressure season I do think we made a mistake throwing him in.

Gerrard himself confirmed last week Kent needed “ several higher intensity training” sessions before he would be ready .

Regarding the sub question, if he had been kept on the bench , and all being well brought in for the last ten minutes for a cameo to get a feel for it again , welcome from the fans , don’t go mental charging about and then this coming week another few proper training sessions .

Yes he COULD pull his hammy at any point , but what Gerrard did by throwing him in from the start considering he hadn’t played in months with the pressure on I think contributed to it happening.

The truth is it can’t be proven either way so we just need to accept it’s happened and move on . But I can see and agree with people who think that it wasn’t a wise choice to start him - many said it before the game as well , we weren’t all shouting he must start as has been claimed by some .

So we should never ever play him then as you've just described every single game we play at Ibrox?

Kent was flying in training this week (seen it myself on Thursday), no concerns on fitness and was to get 60mins

Tweaks happen, it’s not ripped so few weeks and return

It happens, those pissing & moaning need to take a day off, this place is insufferable at times

Please read @HenningBerg and stop talking utter toilet.

He walked off without a limp at all, hopefully it’s just a minor tweak.

The manager said that in a Clyde 1 interview

''He's got a hamstring injury, unfortunately. It's a blow for Ryan, a blow for me, a blow for all of the supporters,'' said Gerrard.
''He's trained well all week and looked ready to go. Unfortunately these things happen in football but that's the only disappointing thing to come out of today really - the injury to Ryan.
We'll assess it in the coming days but I predict he'll be missing for at least a few weeks.''

Kent supposedly had trained all week with the squad and had no injury worries. He, himself, would have been desperate to play yesterday.

A player with Kent’s pace is often troubled by hamstring issues. It’s to do with the explosive bursts of energy that they load onto their muscles. Michael Owen, I seem to remember, was also troubled by occasional hamstring injuries. It goes with the territory for quick players

Yesterday was just sheer bad luck all round. Could have happened in training. Could have happened during a 30 min cameo later on the game. Just very bad luck it happened yesterday during the game.

Sometimes these things just happen and nobody’s to blame

Kent was flying in training this week (seen it myself on Thursday), no concerns on fitness and was to get 60mins

It happens, those pissing & moaning need to take a day off, this place is insufferable at times

Please be right.
Hope I am wrong, but the hamstring injury can mean a few weeks to a bit longer.
Will we see him before the next international break?

Manager made the wrong call.

Also makes himself look daft after the whole Ryan jack running 10k after the OF with Scotland

He’s just thrown kent in to start who’s not fully up to speed.

Should have started barker and brought Kent on for the last 20. Anyway, it’s all hindsight now. Hope it’s as good as it can be with one of these injuries and he’s back in the squad soon.
Kent goes after less than half a game of football. If he had come on at half time and we use the same theory then he wouldn’t have made the end of the game either. Whether he had started or come on later as a sub you don’t know what could have happened.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though. If Barker come on and played shite then the questions would have been asked why Kent didn’t start. Not every decision made that goes wrong should end up with someone being hung out to dry.

It's just one of those things that happens in football.

The support are so wound up though when anything goes wrong they are looking to blame someone.

When we spent 7M on Kent we put an awful lot of eggs in one basket and he was always going to be symbolic for some of the support way beyond anything reasonable.

Guys not kicked a ball in 8 weeks and get thrown in against hammer throwers?
24 hours later its still mentsl in my mind.
He should have come on for 15-20minutes and been built back up with 30-35 against Feyenoord and so on...
If we absolutely must play our big money signings then where is Helander?

Gerrard was sort of damned if he did, damned if he didn't today with Kent

probably shouldn't have started him and get him up to speed match fitness wise but people would have complained if we didn't start with a player who costs us a huge amount of money to buy

Especially when we were having a tough match.

I said before the game I wouldn't have started him but can see the arguments for both.

Some amount of bams looking for someone to blame.

Kent is/was fit, he’s been doing preseason with Liverpool and keeping himself fit outside of that.

If Kent didn’t play a part yesterday you can bet that most of the guys complaining about Gerrard now would be complaining about Gerrard not selecting him.

You did expect him to at least come on as a sub though, if not you must be the only person, so what difference does it make whether he started or came on for half an hour?
He done his hamstring, just before half time 40 mins+, maybe just 20 mins on the pitch,would 've done him good

It was a mistake to start him tbh.

No it wasn’t.

We just spent some serious dough on the boy. We aren’t in the position to not start our best players. We are behind in the league. If our best players aren’t starting games so we can try win them then what’s the point?

Kent could have come on with 10 mins, made that same run and suffered the same injury. Some people need to calm down.

That's good news mate.

It’s football, it happens. No one would know Kent’s ability to start the game more than SG and the management team, to keep this argument going is pointless beyond belief.

Guys not kicked a ball in 8 weeks and get thrown in against hammer throwers?
24 hours later its still mentsl in my mind.
He should have come on for 15-20minutes and been built back up with 30-35 against Feyenoord and so on...
If we absolutely must play our big money signings then where is Helander?

On the bench because he can’t get in the team mostly due to the form of those ahead of him in the pecking order.

Kent is a different story, we have been crying out for someone of his style and ability in the wide areas since the start of the season so it’s hardly a surprise he played yesterday.

On the bench because he can’t get in the team mostly due to the form of those ahead of him in the pecking order.

Kent is a different story, we have been crying out for someone of his style and ability in the wide areas since the start of the season so it’s hardly a surprise he played yesterday.
The form of those ahead of him? Have you watched Goldson the past few games?

Call me old fashioned but why wouldn't we start him?

He's lacking match fitness? Okay, so play some matches. I'm pretty sure he hasn't been sat on his arse since he last played a competitive match.

Yes, the stellar form of Katic and Goldson. We've kept one clean sheet in 5 league games. I'm astonished Katic and Goldson both started yesterday. If that wasn't another great opportunity to give Hellander a game, I don't know what was. You begin to wonder if there's more going on behind the scenes than we know about.

Massive massive mistake by Gerrard to start him yesterday. There is no way you can not train/play at 100% for three and a half months and play in a competitive game. Especially a player like him that’s going to have to sprint and change speed etc

Massive massive mistake by Gerrard to start him yesterday. There is no way you can not train/play at 100% for three and a half months and play in a competitive game. Especially a player like him that’s going to have to sprint and change speed etc

Except thats a load of absolute absolute pish you’ve just spouted and he had a full pre season with Liverpool, for fucks sake.

I’ll maybe trust the guy who sees the players every day, who sees them in training, who will know if anyone’s not 100% mentally or physically. Or maybe not and I’ll listen to some faceless guys who go ‘uh oh’.

How did that work out for you a couple of weeks ago?

Similarly with Worral, signing Sadiq and then a cup tied Lafferty, sticking Morelos on in a game where he wasn’t really need and one booking away from a cup semi final, bringing Ejaria (great mentality there), bringing Wallace on in the last minute of a game while we were defending a corner, countless late subs when change is need earlier leading to dropped points, Grezda and the calamity of the two semi final sheep games in the SC.

I’ll repeat myself, Gerrard makes mistakes like everyone, and football isn’t a complicated game, it’s not like being an aero mechanical engineer where you need years of intense study to understand it. Jose Mourinho was never a top flight professional yet was at one point regarded as the greatest coach in the world.

Except thats a load of absolute absolute pish you’ve just spouted and he had a full pre season with Liverpool, for fucks sake.
Kent has already said himself that he didn’t have a full pre season and found it hard having to keep himself going. Hasn’t been playing matches and wasn’t ready to start - clearly. Poor decision.

So just to be clear, you didn't think he should have played any part yesterday, even as a sub?

The way the human body works is complex, it has a built in mechanism which reads the time of the game and stimulates the muscles to become more rigid in the final 20 minute portion of games, thus making hamstring injuries impossible at this time.

Or at least I imagine that’s what some of the dullard here believe going on some of the remarks.

:eek: :eek::D

Liverpool Echo Direct Quote

“It was very tough. I had to stay mentally strong, when you are told you can do one thing and then you are lied to and it doesn't happen, that is quite hard to take. “I just had to keep myself fit and train on my ownand make sure I keep my fitness levels up and I was waiting for a moment like this to arrive.

Lads the main concern here is the severity of the injury, I'm really hoping It's not serious and we get Kent back as soon as we can.

We could argue all day about should he or shouldn't he have started the game. Bottom line is we get him back playing because that's what we all want including Ryan himself who went off devastated after he pulled up.

Speedy recovery RK.

Liverpool Echo Direct Quote

“It was very tough. I had to stay mentally strong, when you are told you can do one thing and then you are lied to and it doesn't happen, that is quite hard to take. “I just had to keep myself fit and train on my ownand make sure I keep my fitness levels up and I was waiting for a moment like this to arrive.

Kent done all of Liverpool's pre season and the featured in a number of their matches. in fact he played in 6 games for Liverpool in July. I'd say thats a pretty decent pre season. then there was clearly a fall out, then after which he kept his own fitness levels up. you got any quotes about that?

It's just one of those things, he was giving it everything he could yesterday with a few tough tackles on him, he'll come back fine.

One side note and just conjecture but he looked a bit more muscular yesterday than last season might have been training a bit too heavy on the weights while trying to stay fit and put a strain on it.

Agree, absolute bangers

The form of those ahead of him? Have you watched Goldson the past few games?

Hence the ‘mostly’. Goldson is clearly a manager’s favourite and unlikely to be dropped on that basis.

Him and Katic haven’t been flawless but let’s not pretend they’ve been abysmal all season long.

Back