Kent injury

Massive massive mistake by Gerrard to start him yesterday. There is no way you can not train/play at 100% for three and a half months and play in a competitive game. Especially a player like him that’s going to have to sprint and change speed etc
What’s any of that got to do with him picking up a muscle injury? The exact same injury he picked up last season when he was fully match fit?

His match fitness will be an issue, his general fitness won’t.

Kent done all of Liverpool's pre season and the featured in a number of their matches. in fact he played in 6 games for Liverpool in July. I'd say thats a pretty decent pre season. then there was clearly a fall out, then after which he kept his own fitness levels up. you got any quotes about that?
So played 6 friendlies in July and then hasn’t played for 7 weeks.....?! Huge risk that mate (any sports science students or practitioners on here want to give us a viewpoint?!) The quote was what I quoted. It was a poor decision to play him with so little work into him or competitive action. Simple.

People do know Kent had a pre season with Liverpool in America righ? You know Liverpool with Klopp who are probably the fittest team in the league.

Then he played some reserve games to keep himself ticking over only then missing one two reserve games . It's not like he spent the summer slogging out on the couch.

What’s any of that got to do with him picking up a muscle injury? The exact same injury he picked up last season when he was fully match fit?

His match fitness will be an issue, his general fitness won’t.
Errmmmm because that’s when you pick up muscle injuries (when your general
Fitness is poor/low) and you’re right he did have a hamstring last year which makes that an even greater risk when general fitness is low and therefore an even poorer decision.

Errmmmm because that’s when you pick up muscle injuries (when your general
Fitness is poor/low) and you’re right he did have a hamstring last year which makes that an even greater risk when general fitness is low and therefore an even poorer decision.

You're rabbling one lot of pish, we have fitness experts employed at the club who passed him fit, give yourself and everyone else peace.

So played 6 friendlies in July and then hasn’t played for 7 weeks.....?! Huge risk that mate (any sports science students or practitioners on here want to give us a viewpoint?!) The quote was what I quoted. It was a poor decision to play him with so little work into him or competitive action. Simple.
Take 6 weeks off. Can never play again?

mate, Kent was on the pitch for 40 minutes and got injured. if he came on as a 55 minute substitute then that i just as much time on the pitch for the exact same injury to happen. he also done is hamstring last December whilst fully fit... what was the fitness reason behind that? answer - there wasn't any! he just got injured FFS

mate, Kent was on the pitch for 40 minutes and got injured. if he came on as a 55 minute substitute then that i just as much time on the pitch for the exact same injury to happen. he also done is hamstring last December whilst fully fit... what was the fitness reason behind that? answer - there wasn't any! he just got injured FFS
Already said. I wouldn’t have involved him at all yesterday. Don’t know what the fitness reason was last season but for a hamstring it’s usually general condition, fatigue, sudden change of direction or a recurrence of a previous injury. I’ve made my point. Saying no more about hamstrings!

Bloody hell thats a bit extreme - it’s clear and obvious he needed building up. Simple
When? Winter break? Friendlies?
You said if your out 6 weeks you can't play competitive games.
I don't see many friendlies lined up.

You made a bizarre sweeping statement from so many perspectives that 4 or 5 posters are calling it out as nonsense.
But we must all be wrong. Including Gerrard, the doctor, fitness coach and Kent himself.

i cant believe you typed that

He’s out for two weeks, if Jones hadnt bern so foolish, he would have been in Thursday, and Im sure Barker isn’t registered for aEurope. It’s left us with a problem.

He’s out for two weeks, if Jones hadnt bern so foolish, he would have been in Thursday, and Im sure Barker isn’t registered for aEurope. It’s left us with a problem.
A good summation of the situation. It certainly has. We are in a bit of a spot for the period Jones is out.

It's bad luck that's all, that type of injury can happen no matter how match fit you are.
A lot of bollox posted in this thread by people who probably haven't done a days exercise in their lives.

A good summation of the situation. It certainly has. We are in a bit of a spot for the period Jones is out.

Ojo will move left (where I think he is weaker) and Arfield will move forward again. For Thursday at least.

EDIT: Actually @Superrangers I’ve just checked and Barker is in the EL squad. I still think it will be Ojo and Arfield though.

Last edited:
You're rabbling one lot of pish, we have fitness experts employed at the club who passed him fit, give yourself and everyone else peace.
Is this the same experts who advised Gerrard during the week that Kent needed to bed in slowly? Cos that’s what the gaffer said in his midweek presser and one has to assume he’s made that comment having taken advise from the fitness experts.

So did they get it wrong midweek, or did they get it wrong on Saturday? Either way it doesn’t look great. The argument then becomes; was this an ideal game to get him up to speed? And I’d say no.

Generally when a new signing comes in who isn’t match fit, they’ll be brought on for the final 20-30 minutes for a game or two. It’s extremely rare that someone playing for fitness is played at the front end of the match.

By the way, that’s not to say the exact same thing wouldn’t have happened if we’d been 5-0 at 60mins and then Kent came on. That’s why Gerrard is in a no win situation here. But it has to be pointed out that his statement and his action were slightly contradictory.

Just sums up our luck really. Hopefully it’s just a light injury and he’s back in a couple weeks

Is this the same experts who advised Gerrard during the week that Kent needed to bed in slowly? Cos that’s what the gaffer said in his midweek presser and one has to assume he’s made that comment having taken advise from the fitness experts.

So did they get it wrong midweek, or did they get it wrong on Saturday? Either way it doesn’t look great. The argument then becomes; was this an ideal game to get him up to speed? And I’d say no.

Generally when a new signing comes in who isn’t match fit, they’ll be brought on for the final 20-30 minutes for a game or two. It’s extremely rare that someone playing for fitness is played at the front end of the match.

By the way, that’s not to say the exact same thing wouldn’t have happened if we’d been 5-0 at 60mins and then Kent came on. That’s why Gerrard is in a no win situation here. But it has to be pointed out that his statement and his action were slightly contradictory.

Just sums up our luck really. Hopefully it’s just a light injury and he’s back in a couple weeks

Yeah he definitely couldn't have got injured at the end of the match.

Well for the anal supporter amongst us, he was subbed after 40 mins. If he’d came on after 60 mins it could have been avoided in theory

Or just maybe injuries happen, the garbage about Gerrard going back on what he said is just that, he planned to play him for an hour, being able to manage in hindsight is only available to know it alls on the internet unfortunately.

But Halliday backed his pal to bounce back stronger than ever after a period out.

He said: “It’s hugely disappointing for everyone to see him injured

“Unfortunately we are going to lose him for four, five weeks now. We don’t know exactly what the extent of the injury is.

“But fair play to Brandon, he has scored his goal on his home debut and taken his chance.

“Kenty is out but it gives someone else a platform to show why they are here.”

Back