Kent - trying too hard?

archimedes

Looks a different player to the end of last season. The ball just won't stick to him, nothing seems to be coming off for him right now. We've seen it all before with other players, it seems to me like he's trying too hard and it is having the opposite effect.
Like Alfie, I feel like he just needs one or two things to go his way and his confidence will come back.

Last edited:
Totally agree,like a few of our players he's searching for form. I'm convinced he'll come back to form as will Alfie,just keep supporting the team especially when they need it most.

I’m not sure, if he was trying too hard I’d be expecting him to be running at defenders but losing it, instead it doesn’t look as if he has the confidence to even try and beat a man.

I agree about Alfie. Saw it before in a lot of strikers. It's all about scoring a goal that will break the bad spell. After some matches where they don't score, the tendencie is to shoot from anywhere. He will get it in 1-2 matches I predict.

He’s been off form without a doubt however surely this is the point of having a squad. If players don’t perform they should be dropped and have to fight their way back into the team.

Or maybe other teams have figured out that, nine times out of ten, he is going to come in off the wing and they arrange cover accordingly.

His off the ball work is all he’s got right now. A £7m player who hassles and harries.

I'm a huge fan of Kent.
However, since the break he seems to be running into brick walls. Are we playing him in his correct position?
I recall wee bud saying he hated playing wide and would rather play more inside and by god he was some winger, electric pace over 5/10 yards. Would leave full backs in his wake over that distance. Maybe Kent is better suited in an inside role? His goals against the scum would suggest that imo.

Still got faith in kent. He can do it, that's been proved. Needs a really good motm performance and i think the more he tries to get one, the bigger the rut he's getting into.

As for Alfie, he gets a pass. Very difficult for any striker to keep banging them in at that rate all through a season.

Looks a different player to the end if last season. The ball just won't stick to him, nothing seems to be coming off for him right now. We've seen it all before with other players, it seems to me like he's trying too hard and it is having the opposite effect.
Like Alfie, I feel like he just needs one or two things to go his way and his confidence will come back.
Agreed- good players and still working and trying hard

I think he has lost confidence and form too. He has a lot to live up to with the price tag and the pressure of playing for us and being expected to win every game.
I think he needs a few games out so he can come back fresher and ready to really make a difference. Shame we don’t have jones or barker pushing him who could have helped give that rest.

I think trying too hard has now lead to very low confidence. It's just a matter of time though with him, it'll start clicking soon and he'll come to life.

He should benefit a lot from Hagi's vision and passing.

The abuse he is getting is a disgrace and frankly very surprising-from the first touch last night some of the goons around me were right down his throat.

I know he's not playing that well but he's nowhere near as bad as the criticism he's getting. To be frank it would strike me that overall the expectation on him doesn't match what he's delivered in a Rangers strip last season.

Very very few on here moaned mentioned or worried about the price tag-and a few of us did -now it is constantly referred to.

The vast majority wanted him and thought it was fine to pay that now a fair % of those who did that seem to have totally forgot that and turned on him.

Baffling. He could do with a bit more support.

Kent is going through a rough patch at the moment but he’s definitely one to stick by as he’s got it.

If I was in charge I’d tell him to get back to basics & hug the touch line like an old fashioned winger...encourage him to take defenders on in the outside as he has become predictable.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he tears Sellick apart again next month.

The abuse he is getting is a disgrace and frankly very surprising-from the first touch last night some of the goons around me were right down his throat.

I know he's not playing that well but he's nowhere near as bad as the criticism he's getting. To be frank it would strike me that overall the expectation on him doesn't match what he's delivered in a Rangers strip last season.

Very very few on here moaned mentioned or worried about the price tag-and a few of us did -now it is constantly referred to.

The vast majority wanted him and thought it was fine to pay that now a fair % of those who did that seem to have totally forgot that and turned on him.

all down to the fee

but he really ought to be tearing it up and isn't

so what's wrong

granted a question that could be asked of that entire dressing room right now

The effort is certainly there and we all know he's a very good player. He's off form and should be spending time on the bench until he can show improvement.

all down to the fee

but he really ought to be tearing it up and isn't

so what's wrong

granted a question that could be asked of that entire dressing room right now

Very very few blinked an eye at the fee.

Where has he been tearing it up in Scotland? When did this happen? We saw some top quality performances and a lot of indifferent ones.

I would have said up until the break overall he had noticeably improved in general play but obviously since the break the whole team has fallen off a cliff sure he's not exempt from criticism..I watched Steve Davis do a couple of things last night if Kent had done the stands would have shook in anger.

He's getting a rough time and I can only assume it's because like you stated people expected him to tear it up...based on what?

He's never consistently did that.

Throughout the team there’s players off form. Kent gets it tight because of his cost. We have big expectations of Alfie due the standards he set and nothing been coming off for him. Theyre young players they’ll get over this confidence glitch. The leagues gone, but we’re still in the mix in Europe. This is the best team we’ve had in years. Get behind them!

I think he is definitely trying too hard. Last night was one of his worst performances, almost falling over the ball at times. He is a talented player and will come good with time. Hopefully if our performances improve and other players step up this will help him out.

Tired after being our second option in every game for a year and a half.

The first option being give it to Morelos (who may also be tired) as it happens.

According to some in here Morelos is overweight and a yard or two off the pace. If that is so Kent isn't trying hard enough as he couldn't keep up with a fat and sluggish striker who all but gifted Kent a goal after 7 minutes.

I’m not sure, if he was trying too hard I’d be expecting him to be running at defenders but losing it, instead it doesn’t look as if he has the confidence to even try and beat a man.
Enough of the persistent step overs already.
Defenders are on to you.Try beating them,and getting into the box,you have the talent,and we all know you can do it.

He's our biggest transfer outlay in a long time, still young inconsistent + trying to impress a legend like gerrard.
Need to give him time.

He will come good there is obviously quality there, keep you head up and know when to release the ball.

He's in the middle of a huge dip in confidence and it's now at the stage where careful management is vital. He needs benched but that could set him further back. Very delicate situation imo.

His off the ball work is all he’s got right now. A £7m player who hassles and harries.
To be fair to him that there are many players out there who dont put any extra effort in when suffering bad form.

Always thought if a player is low on confidence they should focus on putting effort into other ways to help the team

I don’t think we can doubt he has the ability, he’s shown that in the past.
Appears to be a confidence thing, who knows maybe even the laughable “controversy” over his celebration at the Piggery has affected him.

As most of us know we’re the worst fans for encouraging young players or new players, in fact any players.
There is zero patience amongst the support.

Reminds me of Flo when he scored against them and became our sensation, not that much older than Kenty. The pressure is a lot to be an instant hit like that. He can bring his form back, just needs to screw the nut.

I don’t think he’s bothered about his fee and has showed many times that he is a young class player who loves playing for us .... wee sticky patch maybe but will come back with a bang

We have enough coaches to get him back to peak performance, I don't think the crowd getting on his back helps though but it's hard to hide the disappointment.
What I have noticed is when we first got him he had some motor on him he was in defence midfield and attacking and he was non stop that seems to have died out a little I don't know if its because of the coaches telling him not to do it or what.

Back