Kent will tear you apart again

Davie Weir

Absolutely buzzing to watch him play back in blue again.

I really think he is what we’ve been missing and will be massive for us this season. He really can make a difference for us as we challenge for 55. The way he runs at defenders and fights for every ball is exactly what we have needed.

He might have cost us £7 million but if he plays to his full potential he will be worth a lot more than that in the future.

I really wish people would get a bit more realistic about Kent. They seem to forget that Kent - like all players of this type - has a lot of anonymous games. This is not directed at the OP but a lot of people are having unrealistic expectations of this being the difference between winning the league or not.

Sure he will be the best creative option for us and a good player - but he is not a league winning messiah. We never won anything with him in the team last season - as all the other parts were not right. So if the defence is right, the midfield is right then, Morelos stay fit and sane, and we have good tactics and belief, then Kent could be the icing on the cake for sure.

Last edited:
I really wish people would get a bit more realistic about Kent. They seem to forget that Kent - like all players of this type - has a lot of anonymous games. This is not directed at the OP but a lot of people are having unrealistic expectations of this being the difference between winning the league or not.

Sure he will be the best creative option for us and a good player - but he is not a league winning messiah. We never won anything with him in the team last season - as all the other parts where not right. So if the defence is right, the midfield is right then, Morelos stay fit and sane, and we have good tactics and belief, then Kent could be the icing on the cake for sure.

You'll get very few people with time for that sort of realism. He needs to kick on significantly to justify the fee and the hype on here. He came onto a game last season but wasn't in our top 3 or 4 most important players. I worry he does well again but expectations have been raised to the level that doing well is a disappointment.

You'll get very few people with time for that sort of realism. He needs to kick on significantly to justify the fee and the hype on here. He came onto a game last season but wasn't in our top 3 or 4 most important players. I worry he does well again but expectations have been raised to the level that doing well is a disappointment.
I think he was, who are these players ahead of him?

I might be in the minority but the thing I love about Kent is his skill, the way he turns a man, ghosts past players, his twists and turns, get bums of seats.
Yes that does not win you trophies but it can lead to assists and goals at the entertainment value is top drawer. Players like him, Gazza, Laudrup is why I love football

I might be in the minority but the thing I love about Kent is his skill, the way he turns a man, ghosts past players, his twists and turns, get bums of seats.
Yes that does not win you trophies but it can lead to assists and goals at the entertainment value is top drawer. Players like him, Gazza, Laudrup is why I love football

When you watch his assist for Ryan Jacks goal against the tims his skill and explosive pace is brilliant

I know he will have gone through an intensive pre season at Liverpool but after being banished a bounce game this week wouldn't go amiss, start the wee man and hope hits the ground running Saturday. So excited to see him take his talents above last year, this could be very special

not to be negative but how much match sharpness does he have?

did he play for Liverpool during the pre-season or their U23s (or whatever squad he's in)?

not to be negative but how much match sharpness does he have?

did he play for Liverpool during the pre-season or their U23s (or whatever squad he's in)?

Played some of the under 23 matches I think as well as friendlies with the first team.

But he also went through a proper pre season with Liverpool’s first team squad

Sure he will be the best creative option for us and a good player - but he is not a league winning messiah. We never won anything with him in the team last season - as all the other parts were not right. So if the defence is right, the midfield is right then, Morelos stay fit and sane, and we have good tactics and belief, then Kent could be the icing on the cake for sure.

People are expecting far too much from Ryan Kent. It's a pressure he doesn't need.

Absolutely buzzing to watch him play back in blue again.

I really think he is what we’ve been missing and will be massive for us this season. He really can make a difference for us as we challenge for 55. The way he runs at defenders and fights for every ball is exactly what we have needed.

He might have cost us £7 million but if he plays to his full potential he will be worth a lot more than that in the future.

Seriously enjoyed that

People are expecting far too much from Ryan Kent. It's a pressure he doesn't need.
I can’t say I necessarily agree with this. I don’t think people are expecting him to come in and single-handedly carry the team through every game a-la Ronaldo for Portugal. We just want him to come in, continue to do what he done last season, perhaps even show a little bit of progress (which is natural given his age and his experience of playing in our league last season), and I’m sure every one of us will be delighted. We’ve certainly missed him in the league matches so far this season, and I think we’re excited to have a genuine class playmaker in the team to split teams open and create more chances. It doesn’t mean we’re going to blame him for not winning the league or praise ONLY him for winning the league

I think Kent will thrive with better quality around him and I'm excited to see how he links up with Aribo. Both can take the ball in tight situations and take it past a player so it adds a real threat to our left hand side when we've often been too reliant on our main threat coming down the right.

I think Kent will thrive with better quality around him and I'm excited to see how he links up with Aribo. Both can take the ball in tight situations and take it past a player so it adds a real threat to our left hand side when we've often been too reliant on our main threat coming down the right.

If we can get barasic firing as well and providing aribo plays on the left of the centre three then our left side could be the best we had for a number of years

A lot of older Bears who've watched the game for years are with you on this and to be frank a lot question spending 7M on him. Nobody doubts the potential but a lot are unsure just how big an impact it's reasonable to expect from him.

The support are desperate for a hero but they've backed a few heavy losers over the last few seasons and whilst Kent may well be a level or two above those players as you point out we need a whole team if not squad improvement.

We’ve got a very exciting team this year for the first time in a long while

This for me!

Kent is one of the most two footed players we've had in a long long time and with a decent creative left sided plAyer behind him then I think he will do very well.

I think he’s going to be better than last season now that he’s our player and settled.

You would think after a full season up here he understands the challenge on all levels.

I do think that's balanced out though with the weight of expectation last year he improved greatly after an indifferent start and perhaps when he had quieter games not everybody looked to him. That will not be the case this season.

I believe the biggest difference in our team this season hasn't been the new signings (many have contributed, don't get me wrong) but the progress that continuity and experience together has gave the players who were with us last season.

Hopefully Kent will add to that. He's clearly someone who wants to be here, to improve as a player, and is well liked by his teammates. With luck, that'll all contribute to him being better than he was last season in the way players like Morelos, Katic and Jack have been so far.

You would think after a full season up here he understands the challenge on all levels.

I do think that's balanced out though with the weight of expectation last year he improved greatly after an indifferent start and perhaps when he had quieter games not everybody looked to him. That will not be the case this season.

I think his ‘indifferent start’ is overstated a touch, yeh he had a couple of iffy games right at the start of the season, but he was excellent for us, particularly in Europe, up until his injury.

I think he’s going to be better than last season now that he’s our player and settled.
Hopefully(and I think you're correct) but remember, there have been many players who have impressed on loan at clubs only to disappoint once they've got the move they've been after.

Last season, we had some readily identifiable problems:

We lacked goals from wide. In playing Arfield in his true position and buying Ojo, we look to improve on that.

We struggled to retain possession in midfield and play through it from the back. We’d largely solved that by the end of the year and still have the players who solved it.

We struggled to transition between midfield and attack, lacked a midfielder who could commit defenders and beat them, and lacked a goal threat from midfield. Aribo looks capable of solving this (when played in the right position). King also adds a goal threat.

We lacked depth in our defensive options. We now arguably have 4 of the best 5 (if not 4 of the best 4) defenders in the SPL.

We lack a quality left back. Bugger.

I think the rest of the team has improved significantly. Getting Kent back restored our attack to last year’s ability (or better with Ojo/Arfield hopefully more productive than Candeias).

In the games this year without Kent, our biggest issue has been looking toothless against teams that play deep defences. One issue there is that nearly all our wide men like to run into space. Arfield is the only one that doesn’t but his game is about movement and passing. He’s not great at dribbling. Only Morelos could really hold the ball under pressure. Kent’s game is all about dribbling in tight positions. He’ll be able to operate in a way that our other wingers just can’t. And then will hopefully be able to link in with the runs of Arfield, Ojo Aribo and King offering options to pass that we just didn’t have last year.

He's actually a Rangers player now, the shift in mentality for him is massive.
I think he grew to love Rangers during his loan spell and now we have pushed the boat out to sign him he will feel he is at a club he truly belongs at.
Short of it, he could tear it up!

Back