Kent will tear you apart again

It’s hilarious that the paedos all agreed Kent was young player of the year when they thought he was leaving back to LFC.

Now we’ve signed him, he’s apparently overrated and not worth the money. LOL

Keeeent, Kent will tear you apaaart, agaaaiiinn

I believe the biggest difference in our team this season hasn't been the new signings (many have contributed, don't get me wrong) but the progress that continuity and experience together has gave the players who were with us last season.

Hopefully Kent will add to that. He's clearly someone who wants to be here, to improve as a player, and is well liked by his teammates. With luck, that'll all contribute to him being better than he was last season in the way players like Morelos, Katic and Jack have been so far.

I'm not sure that's all that accurate really and if it were true I think the team would have held together better in the OF game. Arfield has been poor and he's pivotal to how we play. I've argued long and weary Jack hasn't really improved but is sustaining form-Davis has improved but together I'm not sure they compliment each other. Tav's took a dip. Katic has had a couple of barn storming games but still looks to have a bad mistake in him just about every game.

A few weeks back we looked to be progressing but to be fair we hadn't been dragged into the usual Scottish warfare and since we have it's looked disjointed. For different reasons I don't see Jack, Davis and Arfield going up a level from the best we've seen from them I think we are heavily reliant on the likes of Ojo, Kent and Aribo bringing a step up in quality and obviously we need our two strikers to do a job. I'm not a fan of the rotating forwards but with only two we don't have much option.

I really wish people would get a bit more realistic about Kent. They seem to forget that Kent - like all players of this type - has a lot of anonymous games. This is not directed at the OP but a lot of people are having unrealistic expectations of this being the difference between winning the league or not.

Sure he will be the best creative option for us and a good player - but he is not a league winning messiah. We never won anything with him in the team last season - as all the other parts were not right. So if the defence is right, the midfield is right then, Morelos stay fit and sane, and we have good tactics and belief, then Kent could be the icing on the cake for sure.
The amount of nonsense being spouted on here since this guy’s arrival is bordering on the mentally challengeds version of Robbie Keane’s signing has just won us the league, one man certainly does not win you the league.
Also our no show against a poor scum team doesn’t exactly breed confidence.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that's all that accurate really and if it were true I think the team would have held together better in the OF game. Arfield has been poor and he's pivotal to how we play. I've argued long and weary Jack hasn't really improved but is sustaining form-Davis has improved but together I'm not sure they compliment each other. Tav's took a dip. Katic has had a couple of barn storming games but still looks to have a bad mistake in him just about every game.

A few weeks back we looked to be progressing but to be fair we hadn't been dragged into the usual Scottish warfare and since we have it's looked disjointed. For different reasons I don't see Jack, Davis and Arfield going up a level from the best we've seen from them I think we are heavily reliant on the likes of Ojo, Kent and Aribo bringing a step up in quality and obviously we need our two strikers to do a job. I'm not a fan of the rotating forwards but with only two we don't have much option.

Yeah, but you're overly negative in the way that I'd be accused of being overly positive.

This season we had to play Killie away and Hibs at home in the first 4 games, matches we didn't do that well overall in last season. Our European qualifiers were more difficult overall - Shkupi and Osijek were better than St Joseph's and Progres, but Midtjylland and Legia were a step up on Maribor and Ufa, certainly by a fair amount on the latter.

We finished those 13 matches with 10 wins, 2 draws and a defeat. Last season that was 6 wins, 6 draws and a defeat. We only won one away game in Europe last season, away to Osijek. We've already got 2 this season, with the group stages to come.

Our away performances and level of football in the games against Midtjylland and Legia was beyond us last season.

And we've cut out a number of red cards, if we're looking at small details as well.

The evidence that we've progressed from last season, and not even just as compared to the start of last season, is pretty overwhelming.

Fantastic opportunity for Kent to move his game to the next level this season. He’s a player alright but has a price tag now and that will bring expectation and pressure. That’s life.

Very happy to have him back!

All the talk of the expectation / price tag etc possibly getting to him.

Ryan Kent does not strike me as a young man who lacks belief and confidence in his own abilities. He has done everything in his power to sign with us and has real and undeniable desire to pull on our blue jersey. I think he'll handle any pressure that comes with that just fine.

He won't be a world beater every game but if he picks up from last season and bags the numbers that his overall game deserves then he will have a major positive impact on our chances on all fronts.

His signing has given us a big lift after that disappointing result but he won't win the league on his own. We might need to lower our expectations as he is still a young player learning the game.

Yeah, but you're overly negative in the way that I'd be accused of being overly positive.

This season we had to play Killie away and Hibs at home in the first 4 games, matches we didn't do that well overall in last season. Our European qualifiers were more difficult overall - Shkupi and Osijek were better than St Joseph's and Progres, but Midtjylland and Legia were a step up on Maribor and Ufa, certainly by a fair amount on the latter.

We finished those 13 matches with 10 wins, 2 draws and a defeat. Last season that was 6 wins, 6 draws and a defeat. We only won one away game in Europe last season, away to Osijek. We've already got 2 this season, with the group stages to come.

Our away performances and level of football in the games against Midtjylland and Legia was beyond us last season.

And we've cut out a number of red cards, if we're looking at small details as well.

The evidence that we've progressed from last season, and not even just as compared to the start of last season, is pretty overwhelming.

I tend to think I'm more realistic than negative but I don't think either of us are the types to be calling for the manager's head after a few bad results if it happens.

There's no doubt Europe suits us better than domestic games and the same could be said for the integration of the younger/newer players. I do think we've probably improved but not as clearly as you suggest. I think our biggest chance is the fact on paper we should be a fair bit further away from the rest of the pack but I have no idea at this stage whether the gap with Celtic is less or more-both teams have brought a lot of new faces in.

Whilst I agree on paper it appears we've improved I do think our flaws are worrying. The LB situation has not been addressed. We are now weaker in striking options with the loss of Lafferty than we were at the end of the season-considering the amount of players we've brought in that's a remarkable gamble. And I disagree the team looks better after a season together particularly in midfield-we still look uneven and unbalanced. As stated I'm not sure if there's much more to come from Jack, Arfield and Davis than the best of what we've seen. To be frank I'm more worried about their consistency and how we get a better balance in the middle of the park. I've been critical of Kamara but he surely shouldn't be as deep as he seems to be placed? Davis and Jack possibly if others are flying can work but when it's flat both look remarkably similar.

Whilst we can choose to dismiss the OF defeat as a bad day all round not least from the manager; in terms of the support for many it was both an unexpected and severe blow. We really went into that game with the potential to justify what you've just said-we've come out the other end with a lot of questions individually and collectively.

I think we'd agree that's the early stage of the season passed and we move on.

Hoping SG ditches this rotation thing with Defoe and Alfie. Have noticed Alfie dropping back into midfield more often so hoping that will leave Kent and Ojo more space to attack similar to the way famino creates space for Salah and Mane.

Hoping SG ditches this rotation thing with Defoe and Alfie. Have noticed Alfie dropping back into midfield more often so hoping that will leave Kent and Ojo more space to attack similar to the way famino creates space for Salah and Mane.
The faminos ov..

What I love about Kent, for a forward player, his industry and value off the ball is brilliant for such a young lad, if he has a quiet game going forward he's still going to be winning it in midfield, getting in peoples faces etc. And obviously what he brings us going forward. Lets not expect fireworks straight away though hes not been playing first team football, give him a month to get up to speed

Yes he was, ffs.
The notion that Gerrard would splash £7m on someone who wasn't one of our best players last season is just too daft to even comprehend. Fwiw, I think Kent needs to add more goals to his game, but I think that will come. Buzzing to have him back. It was a big statement.

Back