Kent

36 league games: 10 goals, 7 assists. Average game time was 60 mins.

All competitions: 52 games, 15 goals, 11 assists. Average game time 61 mins.

26 league games: 2 goals, 12 assists. Average game time 82 mins.

All competitions: 46 games, 3 goals, 20 assists. Average game time 84 mins.
Haha its all about the stats right.

Maybe Kent plays in a team and for a manager that isnt as attacking as the tims boss, maybe the tims benefit from refs that are absolutely motivated to protect their players and stamp out any tactical fouls, time wasting etc, which we need to accept and deal with most weeks.

If football is all about stats then Boyd most be one of our greatest players ever, right ?

Haha its all about the stats right.

Maybe Kent plays in a team and for a manager that isnt as attacking as the tims boss, maybe the tims benefit from refs that are absolutely motivated to protect their players and stamp out any tactical fouls, time wasting etc, which we need to accept and deal with most weeks.

If football is all about stats then Boyd most be one of our greatest players ever, right ?

You asked if the stats were true about Abada and I showed you. Make your own judgements.

If you think Kent contributes enough then fair dos. If you think the refs are somehow stopping Kent from scoring more than 2 league goals then thats' your prerogative as well.

Love the guy but he definitely looked like he was still recovering from an injury tonight. Was very quiet IMO apart from one or two decent runs, but they didn’t penetrate it cause their defence an issue.

Thought he ought to have been subbed and to be honest for last 20 minutes or so, I would have tried Alfie along with Colak.

The score line is kind of irrelevant, even if we had won 3-2, or even lost 3-2, it is not a huge advantage to either side. The second leg is key and we must get it right.

Hopefully with another week of rest Kent will be sharper..
He had an excellent game,an integral part of our team.

Let's not talk about the final.. I was thinking more the West Ham pre season where he scored similar.

PS I don't blame Tillman, guys a boss one of my favourite players, can I still say favourite? The way he's scored the last two and his playmaking he had a right to shoot. Just felt Kent was in a better position to pull the trigger
Agree Mate kent was unmarked on the left had a clear path on goal should have played him in thought it was poor decision making can rember at the game screaming for him to give it to kent

Kent has performed in Europe whilst Jota hasn’t but Jota excels in domestic games and chips in with more goals than Kent does domestically and at the end of the day Domestic league is our bread and butter

Kent has performed in Europe whilst Jota hasn’t but Jota excels in domestic games and chips in with more goals than Kent does domestically and at the end of the day Domestic league is our bread and butter

I'm a big fan of Kent, but he can't keep living off a handful of performances in Europe where he felt like turning up.

You asked if the stats were true about Abada and I showed you. Make your own judgements.

If you think Kent contributes enough then fair dos. If you think the refs are somehow stopping Kent from scoring more than 2 league goals then thats' your prerogative as well.
Yes fair comment i didnt know that about Abada... but if you think you have a better understanding of football and more knowledge than everyone else because you post stats all day, every single day, then i think you are wrong/full of shit.

For me we will see the best of Kent this season if he stays.

Better players and depth in the attack than in previous seasons. He’ll also be able to be rested now and again.

Yes fair comment i didnt know that about Abada... but if you think you have a better understanding of football and more knowledge than everyone else because you post stats all day, every single day, then i think you are wrong/full of shit.

You think he does not feel like turning up when we play in Scotland ?

Are the stats telling you an attitude problem then ?

Where did I say I had a better understanding of football than everyone else? All I did was show that our main rivals have two players who play in a similar position to Kent and who contribute a lot more, one of them being a new signing whose still a teenager.

Do you think it's an attitude with Kent? For me there's just a lack of consistency and he doesn't get himself in goal scoring positions enough or when he does, his finishing is generally poor.

I don't think we'll ever see the best version of Ryan Kent.
He has talent to burn, but lacks the football brain to use that talent to best effect.
If he had that football brain we would've seen it by now.
He's no better than he was three years ago.
Another Barrie McKay?

You may have a point, but can you explain why the likes of Jota is absolutely tearing it up in our league and making the same defenders look like amateurs?

Even last season, a 19 year old Abada, in his first season in Scottish football, contributed more domestically than Kent did.
Because he’s not fully fit/gets doubled up on/is hindered by the players around him.

Take your pick from any of the usual excuses.

He was a man short again in a huge game.
That’s a nonsense .
Wasn’t as good in the second half after an excellent first half.
I only saw the game on TV so didn’t see what PSV did differently to stop Kent so can’t comment on that.
I would say that every time Kent passes the ball inside, there is at least two opponents out of the game.
That’s where we should have an advantage.

See how Jota does this season. He’s scored two great goals in games where he was pretty anonymous especially against Aberdeen he was shite!!

See how he gets on when he’s getting doubled up on and the Hammer throwers get to work!

He’s done hee-haw in Europe and his work rate is not on the same level as Kent!

When Kent leaves he’s going to leave a massive gap that will be very difficult to fill!

See how Jota does this season. He’s scored two great goals in games where he was pretty anonymous especially against Aberdeen he was shite!!

See how he gets on when he’s getting doubled up on and the Hammer throwers get to work!

He’s done hee-haw in Europe and his work rate is not on the same level as Kent!

When Kent leaves he’s going to leave a massive gap that will be very difficult to fill!

Rather he just broke his knee-cap tbh.

Celtic in Europe means nothing to me. I want players out and a stumbling league form.

Where did I say I had a better understanding of football than everyone else? All I did was show that our main rivals have two players who play in a similar position to Kent and who contribute a lot more, one of them being a new signing whose still a teenager.

Do you think it's an attitude with Kent? For me there's just a lack of consistency and he doesn't get himself in goal scoring positions enough or when he does, his finishing is generally poor.
Not getting into goalscoring positions often enough is a huge issue for Kent. It tells me that he doesn't really understand his role in the side, or is incapable of understanding his role in the side.
He should be the most dangerous man on the pitch when we attack down the right, but is rarely in position to take advantage. This has been a flaw in his game since he arrived at Ibrox and if he hasn't ironed it out by now, he's unlikely to in future.
The great Johan Cryuff said " the top players touch the ball once and know where to run and when to run"
That's why, despite his obvious abilities, Ryan Kent will never be a top player.

Last edited:
Once again he went missing tonight. The only conclusion you can reach is that he isn't really good enough at this level. A good fullback susses him out every time.

However, we can only buy what we can afford, which is why it's vital we somehow get the win next week. The difference in cash between CL and EL football is night and day. If the mentally challengeds lose every game they play in the group stage they would still make four times what we did going all the way to the EL final. That has to have an influence on the standard of player we can field.
Jesus Wept

Not getting into goalscoring positions often enough is a huge issue for Kent. It tells me that he doesn't really understand his role in the side, or is incapable of understanding his role in the side.
He should be the most dangerous man on the pitch when we attack down the right, but is rarely in position to take advantage. This has been a flaw in his game since he arrived at Ibrox and if he hasn't ironed it out by now, he's unlikely to in future.
Kent did very well against the right side of Eindhoven's defence, in the first half, against one of their best players. He hasn't played in the last two league games, nor did he playing in the away game against USG, so obviously he has a fitness issue; perhaps it would better to judge him more as the season goes on, when he gets his fitness back.

Kent did very well against the right side of Eindhoven's defence, in the first half, against one of their best players. He hasn't played in the last two league games, nor did he playing in the away game against USG, so obviously he has a fitness issue; perhaps it would better to judge him more as the season goes on, when he gets his fitness back.
Maybe fitness is currently an issue but his deficiencies have been apparent since he arrived.

Is he going to rectify those deficiencies? I'd say the odds are against it, fit or not.

The problem we have is that even with these flaws in his game, he's better than those hoping to replace him.

Rather he just broke his knee-cap tbh.

Celtic in Europe means nothing to me. I want players out and a stumbling league form.
And I believe Jota this season will not have the same joy as he did last season domestically.

Like I said he was totally anonymous against Aberdeen and didn’t do much last week! He scored two great goals but they won’t fly in every week.

Maybe fitness is currently an issue but his deficiencies have been apparent since he arrived.

Is he going to rectify those deficiencies? I'd say the odds are against it, fit or not.

The problem we have is that even with these flaws in his game, he's better than those hoping to replace him.
The deficiency being he doesn't score enough goals, often enough; if he's been out of the team then we will have wait and find out. Ryan Kent does a lot of things really well, if he wants to add goals to his game, like he did two seasons ago, then he has it in him to do so.

I really wish Kent would use his pace to run behind more.
When was the last time you saw someone play a through ball into the channel with Kent running onto it in at goal?
He hugs the touchline and waits for the ball to come to him, before taking on 2 or 3 players. Sometimes he gets by them and it looks great, other times he pulls up and passes back short.

That's the reason Sakala's numbers are much better than Kent's. He uses his pace to run the channels and looks for the through pass either in front of him on the deck or over him.

Kent just doesn't appear willing to make those type of runs.

The deficiency being he doesn't score enough goals, often enough; if he's been out of the team then we will have wait and find out. Ryan Kent does a lot of things really well, if he wants to add goals to his game, like he did two seasons ago, then he has it in him to do so.
The evidence of his Ibrox career would suggest season 20/21 is the exception rather than the rule.
The goal he scored v West Ham is a perfect example of what he should be doing on a regular basis, but all too often he fails to arrive in that position while we are attacking.
If, and it's a big if, he can rectify this, then and only then we'll have a real player on our hands.

And I believe Jota this season will not have the same joy as he did last season domestically.

Like I said he was totally anonymous against Aberdeen and didn’t do much last week! He scored two great goals but they won’t fly in every week.

He absolutely terrorised Ross County setting up 3 goals and has scored 2 screamers as well (albeit the Killie keeper had a mare).

When was the last time you saw someone play a through ball into the channel with Kent running onto it in at goal?
He hugs the touchline and waits for the ball to come to him, before taking on 2 or 3 players. Sometimes he gets by them and it looks great, other times he pulls up and passes back short.

That's the reason Sakala's numbers are much better than Kent's. He uses his pace to run the channels and looks for the through pass either in front of him on the deck or over him.

Exactly.
He lacks the football intelligence/brain to best utilise his talents.

He absolutely terrorised Ross County setting up 3 goals and has scored 2 screamers as well (albeit the Killie keeper had a mare).
I agreed he scored a couple of fantastic goals, but they won’t go in every week.

Forgive me for forgetting about his show stopping performance against Ross County…..I repeat Ross County.

I've fairly upfront on how I feel about some of his play and end product, but last night, yes he did not have his best game, but you can say that about every player, especially in the 2nd half, and the guy he was up against looked a very good player, forgot his name, but he more than matched Kent for pace, which is an esential part of his game, and the beginnings of an offensive move. someone posted somewhere which nails it is "we aint gonna look like world beaters against this quality of teams". context is king, we're no playing scottish mince here, a lot of people seem to forget that, their skewed perspective is leading to a lot of over the top criticism imo.
The thing about mince is that it is generally a waste product and used properly, is still good for certain things.

Need to work out tactically how we can overcome him being marked by 2or3 players.
I hope when Matondo is up to speed that goes away if we can switch the ball quickly
I think having a LB overlap supports as well but receiving the ball deep with 2 players on him is almost giving Kent no chance he does well with that sometimes but big ask.

I agreed he scored a couple of fantastic goals, but they won’t go in every week.

Forgive me for forgetting about his show stopping performance against Ross County…..I repeat Ross County.

The same Ross County we drew 3-3 with last season?

The biggest reason why people were on Borna's back in the first half at Ibrox against USG.

Barisic was carrying the ball up the left hand side and Kent insisted on hugging the touchline 5 yards away from him forcing Borna to either give it to him under pressure or turn back.

Naturally some of our fans couldn't wait to get on Borna's back for this despite him having no other option.

The biggest reason why people were on Borna's back in the first half at Ibrox against USG.

Barisic was carrying the ball up the left hand side and Kent insisted on hugging the touchline 5 yards away from him forcing Borna to either give it to him under pressure or turn back.

Naturally some of our fans couldn't wait to get on Borna's back for this despite him having no other option.

He did have other options though. Barisic was playing scared against USG which we've seen far too many times.

The same Ross County we drew 3-3 with last season?
Ok you’re missing my point I agree he played fantastic against Ross County. If Celtic win the league that’s the game I’ll remember back to as the one that got them over the line!

Kent is like that guy at school, who runs rings around everyone with his tricky footwork and no one can get the ball off him, but never scores in games. He needs to learn to be more effective.

C’mon AV, you’re at it with this one.
Nope, as I said Tazz, there's a difference between talent and footballing intelligence.

That's why, in my opinion, a peak Willie Henderson was a better player than a peak Jimmy Johnstone, both were mega talented but Henderson was a more intelligent footballer.

Kent is like that guy at school, who runs rings around everyone with his tricky footwork and no one can get the ball off him, but never scores in games. He needs to learn to be more effective.
A pound to a penny that's why Liverpool got shot.

He's as talented as most of their players but lacks the intelligence to take his game up a level or two.

They obviously thought they could work on that side of the game, given his obvious talent but had to admit defeat.

Maybe, just maybe it will click as he gets older but I've yet to see any evidence of that.

Kent is unbelievable, he attracts 2 or 3 players every time he gets the ball, his work rate is fantastic, and he has all the ability in the world. We are a different team when he isn't in it.

He absolutely needs to add goals to his game though, someone with his ability in our team should easily be hitting double figures.

Nope, as I said Tazz, there's a difference between talent and footballing intelligence.

That's why, in my opinion, a peak Willie Henderson was a better player than a peak Jimmy Johnstone, both were mega talented but Henderson was a more intelligent footballer.
I can’t go that far back, AV,
Only just short mind you.
However, my dad would’ve agreed.
More a team player as well.
More about beating his man and creating the chance than Johnstone’s beat the man, beat him again, then again, only too lose it, creating nothing.

Back