Kent

He had a poor first half by his standard. Thought he grafted more 2nd half but it just wast coming together for him, I thought he looked heavily marked too.

Exactly. An anonymous but hardworking performance.

I don’t think you’re allowed to criticise him on here though.

Think you have to be careful with your choice of words. Think Kent is a good player but not yet as great as some would have us believe, fingers crossed he gets there.

£7m fee was a good bit over the top for me but think it was seen as an investment with an eye on his return to England at a big, big profit some time down the line.

Was missing today.
7m

7m? Have you had that confirmed? Or are you just lapping up the daily records information?

Was stated on RTV a few weeks ago the fee was nowhere near what had been quoted.

Seems like your using that ‘alleged’ price tag to try and have a go at our player. Classy.

Don't agree..he muscled in about and hes a handful. He did fine today, worked his balls off.
As someone pointed out in another thread, he drew their players to him like moths to a flame and to keep him quiet left acres of space to the rest of the Rangers team.
Rarely has a Rangers team had so much in the middle against them.
That didn't happen with players having poor games.
They paid a heavy price to control Kent, whom they are shytt scared of.

But hey, let's just have another fckn moan eh?

i was disappointed in him for two reasons, especially first but he wasnt creating much when with the ball and without it he gave up so much space that frimpong was their only out ball. Poor performance from kent.

Total overreaction, "not delivering" is a ridiculous comment, certainly delivered in most other games he's played since coming back.

We played against a team who more or less parks the bus
Even the best in the world struggle at times to break a team down when that happens
We absolutely pumped them and to be having a go saying he's this and that is very poor from 'supporters'
Luck wasn't on our side, it wasn't a bad performance

2 goals against Hamilton when we were struggling.
1 assist against Feyenoord
Goal against Hearts
Excellent in the build up to the goal in Porto

Aye, pish.

They had 3 or 4 players around him at times.

Kent on the field opened up space for others, especially Morelos, who had 9 shots on goal.

The team delivered a good enough performance, we just lacked the quality and composure at key points.

7m? Have you had that confirmed? Or are you just lapping up the daily records information?

Was stated on RTV a few weeks ago the fee was nowhere near what had been quoted.

Seems like your using that ‘alleged’ price tag to try and have a go at our player. Classy.

My comment was made an hour after the game,I was angry and half cut, just for context. I never seen anything saying it wasn’t 7m and to be honest I thought this was the accepted figure but I stand corrected and bow to your superior knowledge. My point in the clear light of day still stands, he is our “marquee” signing and he was poor (in my opinion). If you want to get upset about the transfer figure then fair enough but imo the point stands.

I think the issue with Kent is that if he's not in the game he drops far too deep to get involved. Didn't help when Barker came on either tbh.

Think you have to be careful with your choice of words. Think Kent is a good player but not yet as great as some would have us believe, fingers crossed he gets there.

£7m fee was a good bit over the top for me but think it was seen as an investment with an eye on his return to England at a big, big profit some time down the line.
I think he is a good player, on his game. But he is still very inconsistent.

Pittodrie second half he was injured and was limping throughout it from the minute he returned to the pitch at half time

Yesterday he had 2 players on him yet still drove at players and it ended up leaving us with an extra man due to them doubling up

He wasn't in the game enough, you need 7 million players to make a difference.

But we know he can play against them and perform, hes young, a winger and returning to fitness, consistency will be an issue.

Did ok, but wasnt the standout he could've been.

Having said that, if we score one - Celtic open up a bit more and this gives Kent the space he needs to rip them open. However, Celtic defended for their lives yesterday and were set up in a manner that we've become accustomed to from the likes of Motherwell and the Sheep (sit deep and hope to nick something from a set piece or odd-counter).

He’s a cracking footballer but I don’t think we are getting the value for someone that we ended up splurging that amount of transfer budget on.
A nice goal against Hamilton is one thing.... for that money I expect someone to be grabbing the team by the collar and dragging it to victory in a cup final.

Unfair expectation on the lad maybe but it goes with the territory at that price.

I haven't yet seen it but

1. I am reliably informed it wasn't £7m up front so maybe not fair to hit him with this
2. He was injured for a month or two
3. He is young and still learning

However for our 'star signing' he's not been a success so far...he goes missing, drops too deep and since injury is not actually all that rapid. In fact Frompong outran him every time.

1. I am reliably informed it wasn't £7m up front so maybe not fair to hit him with this

However for our 'star signing' he's not been a success so far...he goes missing, drops too deep and since injury is not actually all that rapid. In fact Frompong outran him every time.

This is drivel by the way, he’s had some excellent games this season so far.

Cracking player but he was dreadful today, think he’s lucky he’s got Morelos to take the heat because for £7m I’d expect a lot more. He jus wasn’t involved and didn’t drive at them.

He was man marked throughout, Brown and Frimpong on him constantly, part of the reason we dominated the match was because of them keeping men on him, opening up space for others.

Hyperbolic nonsense.

In recent weeks, he's won us the game against Hamilton, set up Morelos against Feyenoord and scored against Hearts.

Kent suffers because of our tendency to overplay and allow the opposition time to get set up and he contributes to it by over-doing the sand-dancing. We need to develop two strategies, one until we get on top and the second to be implemented thereafter.
Initially we need to move the ball quicker, less trundling it about side to side and more between the lines. Once we have a goal or two in our pockets we can be slower.

Why Gerrard played him centrally to mark Brown is beyond any reason I can think of, we missed him wide. Barker being direct down the left caused far more problems than Kent did playing centrally for 96 minutes

Why Gerrard played him centrally to mark Brown is beyond any reason I can think of, we missed him wide. Barker being direct down the left caused far more problems than Kent did playing centrally for 96 minutes

Brown was marking Kent not the other way round.

The pitches back in the 70s 60s and beyond were like quagmire back then and good players still managed to cope.
Havi g said that I think Kent is a smashing player who will continue to improve.I think the team is better with him in it.

Brown was marking Kent not the other way round.
I'll agree that but then why wasn't Brown playing right back? Gerrard clearly instructed Kent to remain central and it was Kamara shifting over to offer cover to Barasic at left back. Kamara, Arfield or Jack should have went toe to toe with them centrally. My hindsight opinion anyway but let's be fair we played exceptionally well and it's not a criticism per se, just picking the bones out of a difficult result to take. We were scoring 1st away from it being a tactical master class

I'll agree that but then why wasn't Brown playing right back? Gerrard clearly instructed Kent to remain central and it was Kamara shifting over to offer cover to Barasic at left back. Kamara, Arfield or Jack should have went toe to toe with them centrally. My hindsight opinion anyway but let's be fair we played exceptionally well and it's not a criticism per se, just picking the bones out of a difficult result to take. We were scoring 1st away from it being a tactical master class

When Kent was out on the wing Brown was over as soon as it went near, him and Frimpong constantly doubling up, it was creating space all the time, it was the reason Jack had so much space and time to hit that shot for instance.

He was top notch

he sealed the game at Hamilton, scored in the semi and had a blinder, all off the back of just being back from injury a few games before.

he didn’t have his best game yesterday thought.

not quite sure what our tactics were with the lad frimpong he seemed to have acres of space and our players were scared to go near him.

Some people on this board just can’t accept paying fans having a dim view on players and their performances.

Back