Kent

I think he is one of our best signings in a long time. He worked hard. He played his socks off. He was up for the physical challenge. We score on half of our chances yesterday, this would not even be a topic today.

Some people on this board just can’t accept paying fans having a dim view on players and their performances.
we can but Kent wasn't to blame for yesterday. the wee man was constantly showing for the ball, dragging the 2 markers he had on him at all times out of the game. every time he got on the ball the tried to make something happen

Lets not turn on Kent ffs

Yes i expected more from him but they had everyone behind the ball in horrible conditions so it was difficult for him

we can but Kent wasn't to blame for yesterday. the wee man was constantly showing for the ball, dragging the 2 markers he had on him at all times out of the game. every time he got on the ball the tried to make something happen
He simply didn’t perform to the levels he could and should have....that I think is a fair comment that many posters are stating. I don’t think that could be argued tbh.

He simply didn’t perform to the levels he could and should have....that I think is a fair comment that many posters are stating. I don’t think that could be argued tbh.
what more did you want from his yesterday, are you trying to tell me his movement off the ball wasn't excellent? Is my point on him dragging his 2 markers away not valid? They doubled up on him yesterday to nullify him. In the circumstances I thought he did very well

what more did you want from his yesterday, are you trying to tell me his movement off the ball wasn't excellent? Is my point on him dragging his 2 markers away not valid? They doubled up on him yesterday to nullify him. In the circumstances I thought he did very well
His job is to get behind the opposition defences, and create chances, Frimpong played him and he didn’t create anything of any significance. Keeping them occupied isn’t enough for our star buy imho.

I would still pick Kent but so far he hasn't justified his £7m,McKays faults were there to see but he cost us nothing

Comparing the 2 is total madness

Kent has 100x more ability than, yes hes was poor yesterday but has turned up against them almost everytime he plays, he was my biggest disappointment yesterday but there is some total nonsense being spouted

We absolutely destroyed them yesterday without one of our key men (Davis) playing, one not turning up (Kent) and one having no luck whatsover (Morelos)

I know I shouldn't be shocked but the over reaction on this forum has been mental

His job is to get behind the opposition defences, and create chances, Frimpong played him and he didn’t create anything of any significance. Keeping them occupied isn’t enough for our star buy imho.
Our gameplan was very, very obvious - to attack their left hand side, where they were playing Jonny Hayes at left back.

Guess what? The gameplan worked. We created a shitload of chances and got unlucky on the day. Statistical variance is real and sometimes it'll go against us.

Kent did exactly what he was supposed to yesterday.

He was man marked throughout, Brown and Frimpong on him constantly, part of the reason we dominated the match was because of them keeping men on him, opening up space for others.

Yeah so are a hell of a lot of wingers. It’s part of their job to overcome it. He’s been tightly marked previously and still used his pace and control to get past players with little space. I imagine that’s part of the reason the club saw fit to fork out so much money for him. He picked up the ball in pockets of space plenty of times yesterday and just didn’t drive at them.

Last edited:
Our gameplan was very, very obvious - to attack their left hand side, where they were playing Jonny Hayes at left back.

Guess what? The gameplan worked. We created a shitload of chances and got unlucky on the day. Statistical variance is real and sometimes it'll go against us.

Kent did exactly what he was supposed to yesterday.
We’ll agree to disagree

banging my head against a wall. Does him occupying 2 of their players at times not create an overload somewhere else on the pitch? How many chances did we create yesterday? Frimpong didn't play him at all.

and another thing, kent peeled away twice into great positions where Alfie should arguably have squared it

Kent was missing for long periods yesterday
Part of that was caused by our failure to 'get him on the ball' by not passing to him when we could have - but regrettably he didn't help much with his positioning - something he's been good at before now

As it was we created enough chances without using him - although I wish he had contributed more - in the last 20 minutes it was crying out for his type of play imo

and another thing, kent peeled away twice into great positions where Alfie should arguably have squared it
We can agree on that Alfie is too greedy on occasions, yesterday I think he wanted to score against them so much it was a detriment to the Team.

Feel free to tell me what part you disagree with.
Our game plan was to get down their sides and behind their defence with our wide men. Kent didn’t do that anywhere near to the standards he is capable of. I can guarantee you he will reflect on his performance yesterday and will expect more of himself and for me that’s what many of us are saying.

Oh now it’s Kent’s turn to get it.

We outplayed them today, were far superior.

Forster had the game of his life, they scored an offside goal from a set piece.

Had we won today, the attitude and posts on this board would be entirely different.
Well said...can’t believe some people seem to be saying that Morelos and Kent are now sh1te!!!!

Kent played poorly by his standards. It happens. In past OF games he's generally been a standout. He's still young and not perfect. Anyone having a go based on yesterday is either at it, a Tim, or just a nobend.

Yeah so are a hell of a lot of wingers. It’s part of their job to overcome it. He’s been tightly marked previously and still used his pace and control to get past players with little space. I imagine that’s part of the reason the club saw fit to fork out so much money for him. He picked up the ball in pockets of space plenty of times yesterday and just didn’t drive at them.

But I say black you say white etc etc. With how fantastic we apparently are it’s a wonder it’s not us who’re reigning champions and newly crowned league cup winners.

Wow talk about being unnecessarily snidey.

My bad for trying to give an explanation rather than joining in with the hyperbole.

The conditions didn’t suit Kent yday, hard to dribble when the pitch is borderline waterlogged. Doesn’t mean he’s a bum ffs, he’s been quality this season.

Mixed you up with another poster. I apologise for that.

But the points I made I stand by. Kent’s good enough to overcome that.

Haha no probs.

He is, but I do think their doubling up on him helped us to boss the game, unfortunately we didn’t turn that into goals.

Our game plan was to get down their sides and behind their defence with our wide men. Kent didn’t do that anywhere near to the standards he is capable of. I can guarantee you he will reflect on his performance yesterday and will expect more of himself and for me that’s what many of us are saying.
But that wasn't our game plan at all. For all you can criticise Celtic's full backs (and you definitely, definitely can) they have plenty of pace between them. Getting the wingers in behind would not be a good tactic, and it's not one we picked, despite it having worked brilliantly in the 90's.

We very clearly looked to dominate the middle of the pitch (we did) and build attacks down our right flank (we did). Think about how many attacks we had that came from that side of the pitch.

On top of that, we looked to isolate Morelos against Frimpong, where he absolutely bullied him all day to such an extent that Frimpong rugby tackled him in the box.

Kent's job was when we built those attacks down the right flank, to be in a position for a cut back / square the ball. And he was. Multiple times. Celtic covered it up (as they do) and gave Morelos the shot at goal instead.

Just not delivering. Doesn’t appear physically strong enough to hold off challenges when stepping inside. Think he is becoming too easy to read..
His strength lies in speed an quick counter attacking, he wasn't helped by the orcs being camped in their own half for most of the match.

Haha no probs.

He is, but I do think their doubling up on him helped us to boss the game, unfortunately we didn’t turn that into goals.

I don’t disagree with you on that point. When people were whinging about Kent’s lack of assists last season I even made the point that we were scoring goals that were a result of him drawing players and opening up space for others.

Maybe the conditions were a factor too. But I rate Kent really highly, and that’s why I expected a lot from him.

I don’t disagree with you on that point. When people were whinging about Kent’s lack of assists last season I even made the point that we were scoring goals that were a result of him drawing players and opening up space for others.

Maybe the conditions were a factor too. But I rate Kent really highly, and that’s why I expected a lot from him.

He did spend a lot of time tripping over the ball and not taking it with him, resulting in loosing possession a lot. A mixture of the conditions and not coping with the pressure to do something.

He did spend a lot of time tripping over the ball and not taking it with him, resulting in loosing possession a lot. A mixture of the conditions and not coping with the pressure to do something.

Does every player who has an off day have to have their mentality questioned now and it can’t just be an off day?

If Kent had a soft mentality he wouldn’t have took the game to them when we were down to 10 men at Parkhead, which is a lot more intimidating for Rangers players than Hampden.

twice it happened so no need for the drama, conditions were the cause and not your other snidey dig

To be fair Kent generally has nerves of steel. I don’t think he ever looks overawed. It was just a rotten night and a bad day for him. The only I have is we’re hearing the same thing said about others who seem to have quite a few bad days, and generally in the bigger matches.

Does every player who has an off day have to have their mentality questioned now and it can’t just be an off day?

If Kent had a soft mentality he wouldn’t have took the game to them when we were down to 10 men at Parkhead, which is a lot more intimidating for Rangers players than Hampden.

See until we actually win something , of course the mentality will be questioned.
Just in the past month we have either lost or drawn our games against Feyenoord , Aberdeen and Celtic where we were playing better football than all of them, leading in two of them but still ended up dropping points.
Anytime we have taken the lead in the league we have drawn or lost the next game. Loosing cup games to Aberdeen which we dominated in.

You might not like their mentality being questioned, I don’t like doing it because I would rather we had trophies in our trophy room.
However we have arsed up every opportunity we have had and you have to question the players mentality if they repeatedly fail to get the job done.

To be fair Kent generally has nerves of steel. I don’t think he ever looks overawed. It was just a rotten night and a bad day for him. The only I have is we’re hearing the same thing said about others who seem to have quite a few bad days, and generally in the bigger matches.

As for Kent I agree with you. He has been better in games like this. However the whole team was under a lot of pressure when they scored and they struggled to cope with it and fight back.
Our best players were our midfield of Kamara, Jack (our MOM) and Aribo.
Arfield once again was a ghost and Kent had an off day.
I know you are Alfie’s No 1 fan, but after the psychological blow of missing chance after chance against them as well as the penalty I would play Defoe against them at Parkhead.

Back