Kerching without stadium expansion

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
Talking on WhatsApp about the probable lack of new seats....basically in domestic situation £ can't be generated compared to vast outlay. We maybe f***ed up a bit in the 90s.

Anyway, what can we do? Perhaps Bar 72 at front of Copland and Broomloan? Revamp Club Deck to genuinely fancy area....bars, flat screen TV, coffee, kids facilities (x box etc). Temporary stands where screens are but not 'resting' on the same foundation....like they did for Russia 2018.

Any ideas?

See (or hear) SR's interview on RTV today. Bar 72& hospitality revamps on the way, plus revamp/rebuild of Edmiston House, lots of ideas to increase revenue. They seem to be on the case.

Not sure that would pay for itself.

It's going to have to be done at some point. Even the Main Stand won't last forever.

At some point, well beyond our lifetimes and probably our grandchildren's lifetimes we will have to build a new stadium.

It is unthinkable to us not to have Ibrox, but if its successor is designed with the same grandeur and tradition, why not?

It's going to have to be done at some point. Even the Main Stand won't last forever.

At some point, well beyond our lifetimes and probably our grandchildren's lifetimes we will have to build a new stadium.

It is unthinkable to us not to have Ibrox, but if its successor is designed with the same grandeur and tradition, why not?
The main stand will last until humanity dies out which could be in a few hundred years.

Talking on WhatsApp about the probable lack of new seats....basically in domestic situation £ can't be generated compared to vast outlay. We maybe f***ed up a bit in the 90s.

Anyway, what can we do? Perhaps Bar 72 at front of Copland and Broomloan? Revamp Club Deck to genuinely fancy area....bars, flat screen TV, coffee, kids facilities (x box etc). Temporary stands where screens are but not 'resting' on the same foundation....like they did for Russia 2018.

Any ideas?
We would need extensive groundwork and probably buy land from companies behind the govan.

The foundation of the govan wont take any more weight. To build on top would require a cantilever support anchored behind the govan. We dont have the space or the money.

Ultimately, it comes down to cost vs revenue generated. We should be looking to maximize value out of every square inch of existing space we have before building new. I’m sure I read on here about there being a lot of vacant office space which could be renovated into something

Adding a tangible number of seats really doesn’t sound like it’s an option so it might take some out the box thinking.

We know the structural problems of filling in the corners where the screen are with seats, but what about putting in hospitality boxes over multiple levels like the Parken in Copenhagen or putting our own twist on Sampdoria’s stadium?

depositphotos_49450175-stock-photo-parken-stadium-in-copenhagen.jpg

Derby-della-Lanterna-Luigi-Ferraris-Genoa-Sampdoria-1-1-25112018-d.jpg

We do need to look at making Ibrox more of a destination pre and post match and outside of a match day. Squaring off the corner at the Govan/Copland stands and building out where the megastore currently sits could be an option to house more bars/cafes/restaurants/kids zones over multiple floors, a la what we plan to do at Edmonton House. It could give fans options, cater to greater numbers and go a small way towards dragging us towards 21st century sports and entertainment venues.

Do we really need to expand capacity? If we can get it up to 55-60k relatively cheaply then its sensible. Whilst we ply our trade in Scotland there is no reason to go higher from a cost / income perspective.

That said, we are the biggest club in the country and therefore should have the biggest stadium, so I’m all for the Megabrox....

For 90% of our games we don't need anymore than 48000 seats. For 90% of our games anyone that really wants a ticket can get a ticket. Walk up Copland road and check out the spares at the underground for St Mirren, Kilmarnock Tec.

50000 capacity is all we need.
I think we could sell another 3-5k in season tickets, especially if we start winning trophies, but not a lot more than that

Based on our turnover and the fact that we're still not a profitable business, it would be an incredibly risky move to invest so heavily on what is a long term project. We need to be stable first of all.

The time we need to look at this would be the time football changes and there's either a British, Atlantic or European league which would immediately transform our finances.

We've been talking about this for 30 years. Change may come soon or it may never arrive.

Do we really need to expand capacity? If we can get it up to 55-60k relatively cheaply then its sensible. Whilst we ply our trade in Scotland there is no reason to go higher from a cost / income perspective.

That said, we are the biggest club in the country and therefore should have the biggest stadium, so I’m all for the Megabrox....
I would like us to have a minimum capacity of 60,001 for obvious reasons but it looks an impossible ask. I have no idea about the logistics but financially it could only be done if we somehow got into the Premiership & started generating that sort of money. In 2018/2019 Huddersfield, who finished bottom, earned £93.6m...

Any ideas?
Bar72 style additions at front of Copland and Broomloan cannot be done unfortunately or would have been long ago. You are correct re outlay / income, so spending millions on the stadium is not an option when we are getting the basics done and our 50k capacity is not as far off the mark as some people think. Finding space for bars etc and getting a bigger share of matchday spend is the only viable prospect just now.

And we have to invest what we can in the squad now and win this league first. This coming season is massive.

55k is the number I always think is about right for us while we're stuck in Scottish football.Don't know the most cost effective way of getting to that total. 55k we have the ground more or less full most weeks imo.

We need 60,001 to prove we are the biggest club I am sure we already have planning permission if you look at A field they are more boxed in than us .People saying we can't do this and that have no ambition for Rangers it is what modern Scotland is all about these days insular and no ambition . Instead of selling the Albion car park we should be building restraunts a hotel etc they would pay for themselves and add to assets . I am aghast at the lack of ambition in Scotland in general.

Any ideas?

we cannot add Bar72 seats to the Copland and broomloan because there is no sufficient space between the upper and lower stands to accommodate this .

the govan is tight for space .

The Copland and broomloan are the stands with lots of space behind them which would be suitable for an upgrade and capacity increase .

We would need extensive groundwork and probably buy land from companies behind the govan.

The foundation of the govan wont take any more weight. To build on top would require a cantilever support anchored behind the govan. We dont have the space or the money.
Can you explain that in layman's terms mate? It sounds pretty interesting! How do you know that about the Govan's foundations etc? What space around the stadium do we own etc?

For 90% of our games we don't need anymore than 48000 seats. For 90% of our games anyone that really wants a ticket can get a ticket. Walk up Copland road and check out the spares at the underground for St Mirren, Kilmarnock Tec.

50000 capacity is all we need.
I think you would be surprised at the moment numbers float around that it's because Ibrox is a closed shop in a sense parent cant take kids try find three seats together near impossible.

Expansion on larger scale would allow people to start moving around to get seats with kids.

Longer term if we don't expand we will lose our fan base maybe not this generation but certainly on to the nect and the one after

Lowering the pitch, may give us another 2,ooo seats, but the capacity is fine as far as I am concerned, any money spent on the stadium should be on the aesthetic beauty of it and maintaining it as one of the great sporting arenas into the next century.

To be honest im not too bothered about raising capacity. Look at the piggery, depending on our form we would have parts of the stadium unfilled. Id continue with what the current idea seems to be regarding upgrading facilities in and around the stadium

The stands were build with the provisions to put another tier above what’s already there in the stands behind the goals so no need to knock anything down

Never heard that before, would be interested to see the source? Can't see how it could be achieved without completely removing and replacing the roof and supports. Surely would be massively expensive for only adding 4000 seats or so.

Ultimately, it comes down to cost vs revenue generated. We should be looking to maximize value out of every square inch of existing space we have before building new. I’m sure I read on here about there being a lot of vacant office space which could be renovated into something

Adding a tangible number of seats really doesn’t sound like it’s an option so it might take some out the box thinking.

We know the structural problems of filling in the corners where the screen are with seats, but what about putting in hospitality boxes over multiple levels like the Parken in Copenhagen or putting our own twist on Sampdoria’s stadium?

depositphotos_49450175-stock-photo-parken-stadium-in-copenhagen.jpg

Derby-della-Lanterna-Luigi-Ferraris-Genoa-Sampdoria-1-1-25112018-d.jpg

We do need to look at making Ibrox more of a destination pre and post match and outside of a match day. Squaring off the corner at the Govan/Copland stands and building out where the megastore currently sits could be an option to house more bars/cafes/restaurants/kids zones over multiple floors, a la what we plan to do at Edmonton House. It could give fans options, cater to greater numbers and go a small way towards dragging us towards 21st century sports and entertainment venues.
Not sure about those designs but I agree, instead of major expansions we should (and believe are)looking to maximise all the office space to be used as hospitality / function space / fan areas. When walking around the outside of the ground, a lot of the windows esp in the Govan show spaces filled with crap and old office equipment. Doing these up would create not only revenue but massively tidy up the exterior.

To be honest im not too bothered about raising capacity. Look at the piggery, depending on our form we would have parts of the stadium unfilled. Id continue with what the current idea seems to be regarding upgrading facilities in and around the stadium

Completely agree. The stadium is the right size IMO and doesn't need to be extended. Focus should be on how we maintain and improve what we have so it looks fresh and the facilities are fit for the modern era.

Just a smallish suggestion that Ive always had in my head. If we had space on footprint, a club affiliated Gym would go down an absolute storm in my view.

Good idea especially if more residential properties are being built. Only other one in the surrounding area i can think of is the Village hotel. As you said all depends on space though.

Fill in the corners and ban all away fans
Additional seats does not even come close to the expenditure required to fill in the corners. Ridicules waste of money unfortunately. Three new stands needed to increase the capacity to levels some fans want.

Can you explain that in layman's terms mate? It sounds pretty interesting! How do you know that about the Govan's foundations etc? What space around the stadium do we own etc?
Back in a previous life I was at uni studying Civil Engineering. I chose the work being done to fill the corners as a project.

The club were brilliant and very open and honest.

When the stadium was rebuilt, it was found to be very difficult ground, with the water table being so high and the type of ground it is built on. The lateral load is much larger that it was previously - meaning that the foundation needed to be deeper and with greater reinforcement than anywhere else in the stadium. The decision was made (to keep costs down) that the foundation should be built to the spec for the stands that were to be built - meaning that not much more load could be added.

It means the only option if more load was to be added would be to remove that load from the structure. That would be done with a cantilever system (as was done for the club deck), which effectively suspends the load of the stand along the length of the cantilever structure. However, there would be no way to anchor this as we did with the main stand for the reasons I outlined above.

It would mean that the anchors would have to be done (probably) by using the ground behind the stadium. It would need to be at an angle that sufficiently holds the weight of the structure, meaning it could possibly be some distance back - possibly where the business behind the Govan are.

If you look at something like the Reebok Stadium or the Jeonju World Cup Stadium - they are good examples - but the one for the Govan would be set further away from the stadium to provide the stability required.

The foundations for the Copland and Broomloan are much more stable, but again it is uncertain how much more load could be carried.

It is interesting to note (although horrible to look at) that their cantilever system is built in a way which should have provided the required stability. However, the stand that runs along the wall of the cemetery suffered from exactly the same problem as the Govan. Their solution, big bloody pillars. There is a reason its a laughing stock in stadium building world. A cantilever roof that doesn't work.

Back