Kerching without stadium expansion

Rangers match day revenue strategy should be to maximise earnings from our existing seats before looking to expand - redevelopment of catering, hospitality and some value added products.

Ultimately, it comes down to cost vs revenue generated. We should be looking to maximize value out of every square inch of existing space we have before building new. I’m sure I read on here about there being a lot of vacant office space which could be renovated into something

Adding a tangible number of seats really doesn’t sound like it’s an option so it might take some out the box thinking.

We know the structural problems of filling in the corners where the screen are with seats, but what about putting in hospitality boxes over multiple levels like the Parken in Copenhagen or putting our own twist on Sampdoria’s stadium?

depositphotos_49450175-stock-photo-parken-stadium-in-copenhagen.jpg

Derby-della-Lanterna-Luigi-Ferraris-Genoa-Sampdoria-1-1-25112018-d.jpg

We do need to look at making Ibrox more of a destination pre and post match and outside of a match day. Squaring off the corner at the Govan/Copland stands and building out where the megastore currently sits could be an option to house more bars/cafes/restaurants/kids zones over multiple floors, a la what we plan to do at Edmonton House. It could give fans options, cater to greater numbers and go a small way towards dragging us towards 21st century sports and entertainment venues.
Check out the Stewart Robertson interview, tour wish seems to be his command

I think we need to look at expanding thw match day experience as a whole and ultimately, transforming the stadium and surroundings to a complex that has something going on 7 days a week.

A gym, sports complex, museum, proper megastore, fan zones (Poisonous, bitter, republican Council permitting), upmarket restaurant, cafe/bistro and a bunch of kid friendly stuff would require a "speculate to accumulate" approach but would ultimately bring in a steady profit.

Perhaps promote ibroc as a conference facility? I've been to a few so it does happen but I don't think its pushed to relevant audiences. A boutique hotel perhaps off the back of this, promoted to suit conference attendees as being close to airport etc.

Id still fillhe corners in but the existing stands should remain untouched. If we can't use 55 thousand a week to our financial advantage then the baws burst.

it wouldnt.
It absolutely would it just depends on what payback period and return metrics you would be looking for on your initial investment.

Rebuild with suitable seats, debt repayment over long period would see suitable returns if larger attendance could be guaranteed.

Where's the required parking for the new spectators going to be?
Is open area parking a stipulation of planning consent for a stadium?

Why couldnt we build a multistorey car park at the Albion or on purchased land similar to the Hydro?

Corners filled in new club 72 type sports bar in the mega store new parking found and covered area for weekend games too act as fan zone for children and familys (the football center after its refit? )

I think it's all tied up with organising ourselves as a community and standing in elections to try and reverse the direction of travel of Glasgow and indeed Scottish society.

It's a longer term project and a journey that we might never take a single step towards until we agree on the correct hue of excrement.

We really need to hope our Board are every bit as shrewd as they seem because help isn't coming from anybody else anytime soon.

I am almost certain any works requiring local authority approval would be delayed, denied and curtailed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bar72 style additions at front of Copland and Broomloan cannot be done unfortunately or would have been long ago. You are correct re outlay / income, so spending millions on the stadium is not an option when we are getting the basics done and our 50k capacity is not as far off the mark as some people think. Finding space for bars etc and getting a bigger share of matchday spend is the only viable prospect just now.

And we have to invest what we can in the squad now and win this league first. This coming season is massive.

What I would like is club to look at any empty offices in the stadium....and tart them up. TV, mini bar, newspapers, coffee, biscuits. Open from noon. A sort of pre-match meet up / hospitality. So for example 8-10 could meet, watch the 12.30 game live, few beers, chat....then go to their own seats.

we cannot add Bar72 seats to the Copland and broomloan because there is no sufficient space between the upper and lower stands to accommodate this .

the govan is tight for space .

The Copland and broomloan are the stands with lots of space behind them which would be suitable for an upgrade and capacity increase .

Front area for safe standing, then one large terrace with seats like Spurs new stadium? One of these behind each goal.

Seen this online. Now where can we find an oil rich businessman with a few million to spare?

2-E35-B07-B-EE9-F-4443-87-B1-FFA8-F9465601.jpg

Without getting into the feasibility of various options for stadium increase, I can't get my head round how many fans think it's a bad idea even in principle. As a season ticket holder who has had to source tickets for English relatives a number of times recently, the seats available for public sale are way too low, indeed you've virtually no chance beyond an hour of them going on sale. The argument will go up around seats lying empty for some less attractive fixtures, but that doesn't bother big hitters across Europe. Ask yourself this question, 40k attendance in a 60k stadium vs Hamilton or Livingston, set against that same 60k against the mentally challengeds, several other domestic games plus the majority of European ties. If you prefer the status quo, then fair enough, however I know where my preference firmly lies.

It absolutely would it just depends on what payback period and return metrics you would be looking for on your initial investment.

Rebuild with suitable seats, debt repayment over long period would see suitable returns if larger attendance could be guaranteed.
We may have got another 10k fans in tops, with new stands etc.
We would like need to move out for a year or two and go to Hampden.
Could be 100 million to do it and more.
The easier way is increase the costs of season tickets/ hospitality etc.
You can only really do that if you are winning things and ultimately increase capacity as well in the same vain.

Lowering the pitch, may give us another 2,ooo seats, but the capacity is fine as far as I am concerned, any money spent on the stadium should be on the aesthetic beauty of it and maintaining it as one of the great sporting arenas into the next century.

I’m sure I remember seeing something about this before? Was it not already in the works?

Back in a previous life I was at uni studying Civil Engineering. I chose the work being done to fill the corners as a project.

The club were brilliant and very open and honest.

When the stadium was rebuilt, it was found to be very difficult ground, with the water table being so high and the type of ground it is built on. The lateral load is much larger that it was previously - meaning that the foundation needed to be deeper and with greater reinforcement than anywhere else in the stadium. The decision was made (to keep costs down) that the foundation should be built to the spec for the stands that were to be built - meaning that not much more load could be added.

It means the only option if more load was to be added would be to remove that load from the structure. That would be done with a cantilever system (as was done for the club deck), which effectively suspends the load of the stand along the length of the cantilever structure. However, there would be no way to anchor this as we did with the main stand for the reasons I outlined above.

It would mean that the anchors would have to be done (probably) by using the ground behind the stadium. It would need to be at an angle that sufficiently holds the weight of the structure, meaning it could possibly be some distance back - possibly where the business behind the Govan are.

If you look at something like the Reebok Stadium or the Jeonju World Cup Stadium - they are good examples - but the one for the Govan would be set further away from the stadium to provide the stability required.

The foundations for the Copland and Broomloan are much more stable, but again it is uncertain how much more load could be carried.

It is interesting to note (although horrible to look at) that their cantilever system is built in a way which should have provided the required stability. However, the stand that runs along the wall of the cemetery suffered from exactly the same problem as the Govan. Their solution, big bloody pillars. There is a reason its a laughing stock in stadium building world. A cantilever roof that doesn't work.
Cheers mate! This has sent me down a YouTube wormhole.

To be honest im not too bothered about raising capacity. Look at the piggery, depending on our form we would have parts of the stadium unfilled. Id continue with what the current idea seems to be regarding upgrading facilities in and around the stadium

Agreed, my missus uncle is a ST holder at the Gyro Dome and he says unless it's us, Hearts or CL game he would guess they get 45-50k, lots of empty seats everywhere.

People want the match day experience
Indeed, but we’re not going to add that number of seats overnight so how do you combat that today?

The traditional models of how clubs raise income are changing and we must be looking at providing more online for those not lucky enough to attend Ibrox every other Saturday.

I would try to get other things right before a super stadium ie direct train link to stadium,car parking,facilities for the support pre game etc.

I think for me 50k is fine the most important thing for the board is to invest the money into modernising the outside of the stadium as it's looking very tired now.

Back in a previous life I was at uni studying Civil Engineering. I chose the work being done to fill the corners as a project.

The club were brilliant and very open and honest.

When the stadium was rebuilt, it was found to be very difficult ground, with the water table being so high and the type of ground it is built on. The lateral load is much larger that it was previously - meaning that the foundation needed to be deeper and with greater reinforcement than anywhere else in the stadium. The decision was made (to keep costs down) that the foundation should be built to the spec for the stands that were to be built - meaning that not much more load could be added.

It means the only option if more load was to be added would be to remove that load from the structure. That would be done with a cantilever system (as was done for the club deck), which effectively suspends the load of the stand along the length of the cantilever structure. However, there would be no way to anchor this as we did with the main stand for the reasons I outlined above.

It would mean that the anchors would have to be done (probably) by using the ground behind the stadium. It would need to be at an angle that sufficiently holds the weight of the structure, meaning it could possibly be some distance back - possibly where the business behind the Govan are.

If you look at something like the Reebok Stadium or the Jeonju World Cup Stadium - they are good examples - but the one for the Govan would be set further away from the stadium to provide the stability required.

The foundations for the Copland and Broomloan are much more stable, but again it is uncertain how much more load could be carried.

It is interesting to note (although horrible to look at) that their cantilever system is built in a way which should have provided the required stability. However, the stand that runs along the wall of the cemetery suffered from exactly the same problem as the Govan. Their solution, big bloody pillars. There is a reason its a laughing stock in stadium building world. A cantilever roof that doesn't work.
Their main stand is a joke as well, a “cantilever roof” that is supported by beams swung down when there isn’t a match on.

Their main stand is a joke as well, a “cantilever roof” that is supported by beams swung down when there isn’t a match on.
That's a different issue caused by the age of the building and the difficulty of fixing what is a listed building.

It should never have been given a safety certificate

The thing is them have 60,000 thats 10,000 more Thats 10,000 more people involved in their club which spread to families and friends and the undecided . Thats 10,000 more speaking about going to the match, Thats 10,000 more that will bring family in the future to their games. Do people not see it people have had their seats at Ibrox in certain areas for years are stuck in a routine leave early we are denying future generations of going to the match We are denying tickets to local communities to build our support within the area of Ibrox. This isn't just about vanity or even season ticket holders ,this is about the future of Rangers .We should be building our support instead of sitting on out laurels and pretending everything is alright.Everything is not alright we need to continue to build our support within Glasgow by doing what every other club in the land does.Free tickets for local communities invite them into the club instead of alienating them by not giving the local communities the chance to complain but to invite them in . We are denying the floating fan the guy or lass in the street which might want a chance to go and watch Rangers We need 10,000 more people speaking about going to see The Rangers In these testing times we need to grow Rangers because we have stagnated and were starting to regress like the rest of Scotland is doing.

We could start by only having Rangers fans inside Ibrox for domestic games. We have a waiting list of fans wanting to attend home games and with the away section rarely full it makes sense to look after our fans first and foremost. The club is paying for policing and security to cover that area and you get 33 Accies fans turning up...it’s a similar story with most of the away fans unable to fill their end.

It's going to have to be done at some point. Even the Main Stand won't last forever.

At some point, well beyond our lifetimes and probably our grandchildren's lifetimes we will have to build a new stadium.

It is unthinkable to us not to have Ibrox, but if its successor is designed with the same grandeur and tradition, why not?
There is no chance Rangers will ever walk away from Ibrox and the famous main stand.
Should money ever become available to knock down the Copland Rd, Govan and Broomloan Rd stands, and replace them, that may happen in the long term but a new stadium is out of the question.

Covid-19 has shown us mass gatherings of people can be seriously bad for your health. Spending money on additional capacity would be madness. Spend the money on digital media Revenue streams.

The thing is them have 60,000 thats 10,000 more Thats 10,000 more people involved in their club which spread to families and friends and the undecided . Thats 10,000 more speaking about going to the match, Thats 10,000 more that will bring family in the future to their games. Do people not see it people have had their seats at Ibrox in certain areas for years are stuck in a routine leave early we are denying future generations of going to the match We are denying tickets to local communities to build our support within the area of Ibrox. This isn't just about vanity or even season ticket holders ,this is about the future of Rangers .We should be building our support instead of sitting on out laurels and pretending everything is alright.Everything is not alright we need to continue to build our support within Glasgow by doing what every other club in the land does.Free tickets for local communities invite them into the club instead of alienating them by not giving the local communities the chance to complain but to invite them in . We are denying the floating fan the guy or lass in the street which might want a chance to go and watch Rangers We need 10,000 more people speaking about going to see The Rangers In these testing times we need to grow Rangers because we have stagnated and were starting to regress like the rest of Scotland is doing.
10000 more spaces for their big flags, we do plenty for the local community

Hard to believe eh?

Fergus did it in the 90s to make sure it couldn't be sold off cheap if the worst happened.

Also some weird tax breaks......
Fergus has no say in it being listed
That would have been Historical Listed buildings ( Scotland ) It bever happened

What I would like is club to look at any empty offices in the stadium....and tart them up. TV, mini bar, newspapers, coffee, biscuits. Open from noon. A sort of pre-match meet up / hospitality. So for example 8-10 could meet, watch the 12.30 game live, few beers, chat....then go to their own seats.
i think this would be the way to go,im not sure about the take up of office space behind the stands ,it may be ,we have spare capacity on most floors of office space,and if we could re arrange all the existing offices together ,then perhaps we could be left with the best part of one level of available space,with a bit of re configuration this could be a bar/cafe area

i think this would be the way to go,im not sure about the take up of office space behind the stands ,it may be ,we have spare capacity on most floors of office space,and if we could re arrange all the existing offices together ,then perhaps we could be left with the best part of one level of available space,with a bit of re configuration this could be a bar/cafe area
Whereabouts are the spare offices?

Develop players and sell them.

The collective fanny fart from fans when our best players are linked with a move away tells me that some people are mentally ready to accept the only fail-safe method of making the club continually profitable.

Back