Kerimoglu Tugay

True story. At Blackburn he was coming back from injury v Man Utd at Carrington. McClair blew a gasket because they couldn't get the ball off him.

Scored a couple of crackers from distance and was a great player but didnt feature nearly enough to form proper opinion.

Proved at Blackburn that he could play.

We sold or got shot of that full midfield in the space of a couple of years or so and ended up poor in comparison.

Very true PP.

Controversial opinion - a sand dancer

Couldn’t tackle and went missing

Great player if you were 2 or 3 up

Anonymous at Parkhead

A “sand dancer” who Captained Galatasaray when he was 22 played 279 games and got 94 caps for Turkey. He played over 22 games for Blackburn and was rated by highly across Europe. He was rated the 47th best player in the Premier League in the decade 2000-2009.

FF and it’s controversial opinions........LOL

What a team we had then, it just shows the quality when Tugay struggled to get in.

I remember I was at a game when he scored the only goal in a 1-0 win over Aberdeen at Ibrox.

Excellent coming off the bench and we wondered why he didn’t start games. Then he played 3 on the bounce and wasn’t that effective. What a team we had then though. Some of his performances as sweeper in the CL were incredible

Tugay was unfortunate as his style of play didn’t really fit in with Advocatts vision of a midfielder, similar with Jorg Albertz who couldn’t tackle a fish supper but could win football matches with sublime skill.

Advocatt in fact called Tugay a “Circus Footballer”

I remember watching him warming up for his home debut. Think it may have been against the sheep? he booted the ball about 50 ft in the air and trapped it dead on the way back down. he then put on a show that would have shamed Mr Woo. Like others said though, I feel he was better when already up. Didn't have the dig to pull you out of a game when you were losing.

If the 4231 thing was a formation back then him and Barry as the 2 with gio Albertz and Reyna as the 3 and mols up top would of been frightening

I was quite young when he played so maybe didn't fully understand the situation but wasn't he amazing and yet played only for 2 seasons and not that regularly?

Can anyone explain? I loved him at the time and just didn't get why he wasn't first pick every week.

Cracking player but essentially not as good as the starting midfielders we had.

A great player but at that time we had a very strong midfield so wasnt guaranteed a regular start as some other people have pointed out.Also had a fantastic name :)

Superb player, one that I'd liked to have seen in a Rangers top for longer. Just shows the strength we had in midfield back then.

Kaiserslautern away.

He was pathetic, as was Reyna, in a game we should have sauntered.

Pair of duds. We could have won that cup had this pair of shitbags been injured instead of Barry and Gio.
Aye Scott Wilson and Bert Konterman were definitely nothing to do with it either lol

A player who never done enough to force himself into the team,we had excellent midfielders at the time but tugay never done enough to displace them,,he was a better player at Blackburn because he was their main midfielder and didn't have the pressure of better players vining for his place in the team

He was the Turkish Pirlo in terms of 'type of player'. That's probably the best way to describe him. A bit more flashy though which in hindsight didn't help his game. As he got older (once he left us) he became a more discipline player in terms of substance over style. With us he was a bit lazy at times and tried to be Mr Hollywood too often but a great player. What a midfield we had back then.

We had Gio, Barry, Albertz, Reyna, Kanchelskis & latterly McCann, he couldn't get a regular game.
This. We had such strong options in that area. I loved Tugay, he had been a star for years at Galatasaray. I couldn’t believe we got him so cheaply.

Van Bronckhorst was an incredible midfielder. I hated we lost him to Arsenal and then he moved to left back. He was good enough to play in the middle for them.

Scored a couple of crackers from distance and was a great player but didnt feature nearly enough to form proper opinion.

Proved at Blackburn that he could play.

We sold or got shot of that full midfield in the space of a couple of years or so and ended up poor in comparison.
It was the start of the downsizing and when it really started to hit home that there was a vast financial gulf between us and England.

Except that when he was 10 years younger guys like Xavi, Iniesta, Deco, Cocu, Enrique and Ronaldinho were playing in midfield for Barcelona while Tugay was smoking 30 a day playing for Galatasaray.

His career was spent at Gala, Rangers subs bench and Blackburn. Supremely talented but let’s not get carried away.

Eh? No they weren't. Ten years before that the likes of Guardiola were just breaking through. In fact ten year before Tugay played for us Michael Laudrup was playing for Barcelona.

He played sweeper against Monaco in the CL he was magnificent, but he was not good enough to play regularly in our midfield, that is just a fact of how good a team we had back then.
Was there for that game Tugay was immense hugging Advocat at the end...Bert Konterman fan club were in front of us Feynoord supporters 4 guys with their gf's...:)

In his recent book, Souness rates him as one of the best players he'd seen. He was more than happy to take him to Blackburn when he was manager there.

Last edited:
Wee dick sure did sign a lot of players who he didn't like their style. Poor scouting to not pick up on this before?

Last edited:
Probably his best game for Rangers was as a sweeper in a back 3 against Monaco he was outstanding that night.

Played well against the yahoos at disco bulbs park for Blackburn when Souness was there but a bit too inconsistent overall.

Aye played them off the park for a draw.

Then the papes went down the road and phuckin murdered them.

Eh? No they weren't. Ten years before that the likes of Guardiola were just breaking through. In fact ten year before Tugay played for us Michael Laudrup was playing for Barcelona.

The quote was from Mark Hughes when Tugay was playing for Blackburn, not when he was with us.

Wee magician of a guy but as has already been stated we had an embarrassment of riches in that midfield, characteristic of the era.
Reyna, Bazza, VB, Hämmer- ffs it was sheer, unadulterated filth :D
It wasn't so much a Banquet of Success as an Orgy of Soccer Excess- we wore Togas to the games back then and chewed grapes, drank wine from goblets of solid gold whilst being fanned by Nubian Princesses. Good times like :D
I'd still take that midfield to destroy current impostors over at the San Giro, any day of the week. They know it.

Back