Kerimoglu Tugay

Stockport bear

I was quite young when he played so maybe didn't fully understand the situation but wasn't he amazing and yet played only for 2 seasons and not that regularly?

Can anyone explain? I loved him at the time and just didn't get why he wasn't first pick every week.

I was quite young when he played so maybe didn't fully understand the situation but wasn't he amazing and yet played only for 2 seasons and not that regularly?

Can anyone explain? I loved him at the time and just didn't get why he wasn't first pick every week.

Good point mate. IIRC it was under Dick Advocaat. Not sure what the issue was. I don’t remember anything public between them.
But you’re right, it was surprising how often he didn’t start.
I remember we went to Monaco & he played Tugay as sweeper & he got MOTM, and we won 1.0.

He was an exceptional player. Skilful, could tackle, great passer of the ball and very experienced.

To me, in a way you could call it unfortunate timing for him as we had a young Barry and GVB in the middle of the park who were playing well.

Mark Hughes was asked when tugay was at Blackburn if he wished that tugay was 10 years younger and he said no as he would have been playing for Barcelona.

Brilliant player. Sadly we had other more brilliant players in front of him. Despite that, I always thought he should’ve been given more game time

Advocatt didn’t think he worked hard enough!technically brilliant.

He played sweeper against Monaco in the CL he was magnificent, but he was not good enough to play regularly in our midfield, that is just a fact of how good a team we had back then.

He wasn't one of our better central midfielders. The line was always 'play flows much better when he is playing' which didn't actually mean anything.

Barry, Gio, Albertz, Reyna, McCann etc were all better players than he.

He was still great though.

and De Boer

He was a really classy player. Maybe not as dynamic as the other midfielders in the squad at the time.

It was basically Ferguson or Tugay for that role. That's the reason he couldn't nail down a place in the team.

Seem to remember that we signed Tugay during a mid-season break. Hadn’t heard much about him but believe that he first appeared at Ibrox in the first game after the break, when Rangers played Aberdeen off the park and it was evident that Tugay was a class player. He went to Blackburn Rovers, who were in the top division at that time and was a big success. His failure not to have played more games for Rangers was in no way due to a lack of ability, instead we just had other outstanding midfielders.

Kaiserslautern away.

He was pathetic, as was Reyna, in a game we should have sauntered.

Pair of duds. We could have won that cup had this pair of shitbags been injured instead of Barry and Gio.

Reactions: SDF
Tugay was a fantastic player, he could break up play , make some great passes and score his fair share of goals Their were some amount of class players in our squad all trying for the midfield spots. He should have been with us longer
Go Google him.

Because he wasn't good enough to get a regular spot. Ferguson, Gio and Albertz were all better than him.

Great when you're 4-0 up and he comes off the bench but worse than a man down when your backs are against the wall.

Soon as he left us he told the Turkish press he hoped Fenerbahce fúcked us in the CL qualifiers. This was weeks after he hijacked Albertz's lap of honour...

He was a great player, although not anywhere near as good as Barry, Gio or Jorg, and not quite as good as Claudio.

Simple explanation.

He was an exceptional player. Skilful, could tackle, great passer of the ball and very experienced.

To me, in a way you could call it unfortunate timing for him as we had a young Barry and GVB in the middle of the park who were playing well.

Mark Hughes was asked when tugay was at Blackburn if he wished that tugay was 10 years younger and he said no as he would have been playing for Barcelona.

Except that when he was 10 years younger guys like Xavi, Iniesta, Deco, Cocu, Enrique and Ronaldinho were playing in midfield for Barcelona while Tugay was smoking 30 a day playing for Galatasaray.

His career was spent at Gala, Rangers subs bench and Blackburn. Supremely talented but let’s not get carried away.

Probably his best game for Rangers was as a sweeper in a back 3 against Monaco he was outstanding that night.

Played well against the yahoos at disco bulbs park for Blackburn when Souness was there but a bit too inconsistent overall.

His passing was a thing of beauty. Smooth,precise. The recipient never had to break stride.

So he was somewhere between hugely underrated and vastly over rated?

We had brilliant midfielders at the time, he was much more highly thought of when he went down to Blackburn, Souness loved him down there.

Scored a couple of crackers from distance and was a great player but didnt feature nearly enough to form proper opinion.

Proved at Blackburn that he could play.

We sold or got shot of that full midfield in the space of a couple of years or so and ended up poor in comparison.

Wasn't there some work permit issue? Non-EU players needed to play some percentage of matches (75%?) to keep their work permit, but teams were limited to 2 non-EU players per game. Reyna, Kanchelskis and Tugay meant we had three, and we couldn't keep all three playing enough matches.

Back