Kevin Clancy is the personification why English refs are required to state their footballing allegiances

blueballs

So, I'm not the best with words and articulating things the way it sounds in my mind, but I'll give this a go cause it bothers me the amount of fans who come out with the naive ideas that "as long as we play well, it doesn't matter bout the ref". It does. Last night shows that.

Those with this view, don't clutter up ma thread. I'm no disagreeing with you that we were gash last night. But at the same time, on the same pitch, something else was occurring. The two things can be exclusive

So, in England, the sensible agreed idea is that referees are like everyone else and support a particular team. Stands to reason, they don't ever officiate that teams matches. In Scotland, it's purely because of the numbers of refs we have that we can't follow suit, but that leaves the undoubted truth the refs still support certain teams.

Kevin Clancy clearly does, and more accurate, holds a genuine disdain for Rangers. In big matches, he struggles to hide it. This logic, and his otherwise inexcusable performances repeatedly against us, is also the reason the club SHOULD be calling him out, and officially requesting he doesn't referee any of our matches again.....he simply cannot be trusted, and in practice repeatedly has failed, to be impartial.

Not that I feel compelled to be nice to this cretin, it's almost and to a certain degree, not his fault. He has an innate predisposition to view and make decisions against us given his makeup. You can't switch this off for 90mins. It's like you or I refereeing that game last night. Even if we tried hard (and I'm not too sure Clancy does), we will simply view things different than if an Aberdeen fan was refereeing. And both of us will be different from a real life 'neutral'

Clancy hates Rangers. So when he sees borderline ridiculous clown antics of Brown, he genuinely thinks blame lies with the Rangers player. He thinks when Aberdeen players go down, it must be a Rangers player doing wrong. He can't accept an Aberdeen player makes contact with a Rangers player nose, despite blood from the impact, as anything other than a mistake. But other way around, same scenario, would undoubtedly have seen a card for one of ours.

The man awarded 21 fouls against us, sent off a player for 2 non existent bookings, yellow carded Hagi early on when he could easily have not (don't bring out the 'rule book' cause same rule book was ignored at the moving ball penalty), booked Morelos for penalty shitey handball and missed Hayes elbowing 2 Rangers players.

Refs make mistakes. Clancy made one last night at the McGregor (non) penalty. Don't think for a second cause that wasn't awarded that either Clancy isn't kicking himself in hindsight when he realised there was contact, or that it somehow discredits the idea he hates us and this hatred directly influences his decision making.

I saw a ref at the weekend AC Milan game make a howling mistake, apparently he was in tears thereafter. Mistakes happen. Bad games happen. Some refs are just poor - Alan Muir, Steven McLean et al

In Scotland, some refs are tainted by their fear to award against Celtic due to years of a wise PR machine- step up Madden and Beaton.....that's a different story

And some refs hate teams, but hand on heart, none fail to hide it more than Clancy versus Rangers (though Don Robertson comes close and last nights 4th official David Munros worth the watching)

Some are able to be impartial despite things - I think Collum and Walsh fall into this category

Numbers of refs apart, were we to have the same sensible rule as England, Clancy wouldn't be allowed near us. He is simply unable to be fair minded any more than I could if I had to referee Celtic, or any game involving Brown. His cheating did and always will, impact us whe were playing.....its just when were on it, it's less noticeable.

The man can't be allowed to referee Rangers ever again. But of course, he will. That's what's wrong and that's what should be questioned

It's a nice idea but you'd be ruling out the majority of candidates. Only way it could really work would be to bring in foreign refs. It's already a bad lot we're picking from without from without slashing the potential pool.

giphy.gif

There’s probably in excess of 75% of Referees in Scotland support one or other of the Old Firm, or at least have leanings towards one or the other. Maybe more. There’s no real way to get around that. You can’t exclude 75%+ of Referees from officiating at any game involving one or other of the Old Firm.

There’s no doubt there’s the likes of Clancy who should be slaughtered and demoted for his repeated failings when refereeing Rangers games for example, but, in the main, I think the real problem is simple lack of ability.

There wasn’t any way we were winning that last night. He was pure and utter cheating there’s no doubting it. 21 fouls to 7 tells you everything you need to know, when Aberdeen were kicking us all over the park.

Hayes should’ve been off, burst Bornas nose with nothing done about it when on a yellow. The penalty shouldn’t have been given as there was a foul before it, it then should’ve been retaken and even the Aberdeen manager said he thought it would be a retake when the ball moved. Mccrorie should’ve been on a yellow before his dangerous foul on Morelos, should’ve been off. Kent being red carded for two nothing fouls after Aberdeen players were getting away with brutal fouls. Even playing an extra bit at the very end for no reason whatsoever, the Aberdeen keeper had the ball at 94:00 but was allowed to go for one last attack. Aberdeen using rugby scrum tactics to push players onside ignored by the ref and linesman. Goldson was having his shirt near ripped off him in the box near the end, should’ve been a pen to us. Hagi getting a yellow for stopping a free kick, but brown can pick the ball up and throw it away with nothing being said.

I could go on and on.

I know we didn’t play well but it really wasn’t a level playing field last night. We couldn’t do anything, couldn’t win 50/50s, couldn’t shoulder tackle, couldn’t show any aggression, without being punished. The players must’ve been scunnered with it.

Unconscious bias is the phrase the OP is looking for. We all do it and the idea that Clancy calls our games with an inbuilt bias against rangers is not absurd. By the same tone that reversal of this with rangers leaning refs could happen too.

But that’s where the press pressure and manipulation comes in and terrifies Beaton and Madden from displaying unconscious bias. Self preservation dictates the likes of Madden and Beaton performances.

Last edited:
Just look at the ref, if he looks like one and acts like one, chances are that he is one.

Even those who aren't tims will have developed unconscious bias (as mentioned by @Coza above) due to the overwhelming pressure placed on them re our results and decisions made in those games.

RCs make up approx 17% of the population in Scotland, so proportionately 1 in 6 refs MAY support celtic. This means a much larger number probably have Rangers leanings. Unfortunately we know which team would successfully turn the narrative so they were the victims.

Fair play OP

All you need to so is look at the transfermarkt record of Clancy / Rangers

Its a repeating patten. A trend. A highly uncomfortable trend. Predates Rangers even being in the Premier League.

Whats more uncomfortable was that RTV away days showed 4 of the Aberdeen fouls all of which were over the score bookings that they would be happy it was just a booking.

He barely gave Rangers a foul at all that didnt require serious sanction.

The game is played at such a speed nowadays that many challenges have to be dissected by umpteen replays from different angles. Referees only see incidents once in real-time. Just my view but an awful lot of decision-making looks like guesswork. (I don’t think the McGregor ‘penalty’ should have been given but could understand if it had been.)

And that’s where the unconscious bias comes in. How many cases have there been when the Scottish media goes into full witch-hunt mode on a ref perceived to have made a series of decisions against Rangers - or for Celtic? Now compare that with the reverse situation.

There is a set of double standards at play and this is bound to affect referees. Clancy knows that none of the incidents highlighted last night on social media or here will make it onto Sportscene or the papers.

I have done fag packet stats here based on something I saw which had Clancy’s record for our games. We have a win rate of 54% when he is the ref.

Since we rejoined the SPFL with a total of 202 games we have won 132. That’s a win rate of 65%. Honestly that kind of discrepancy can be explained away or caveated away. Would need to spend a lot more time to get a proper set of numbers you could read anything into tbh.

The simple fact for me though is clancy does not pass the eye test. I think he gave minimum 3 free kicks to Aberdeen in attacking areas for zero contact and that’s before you even look at 50/50 decisions where there is contact both ways or the decisions not in the attacking third (eg Kent’s second yellow).

I have done fag packet stats here based on something I saw which had Clancy’s record for our games. We have a win rate of 54% when he is the ref.

Since we rejoined the SPFL with a total of 202 games we have won 132. That’s a win rate of 65%. Honestly that kind of discrepancy can be explained away or caveated away. Would need to spend a lot more time to get a proper set of numbers you could read anything into tbh.

The simple fact for me though is clancy does not pass the eye test. I think he gave minimum 3 free kicks to Aberdeen in attacking areas for zero contact and that’s before you even look at 50/50 decisions where there is contact both ways or the decisions not in the attacking third (eg Kent’s second yellow).
He’s a clever cheat, make no mistake. We missed our chance after the Parkhead debacle. He now thinks/knows he can pretty much do as he pleases.

I have been under the impression for several years that Scottish referees also had to declare which team they supported. I was told that by a director of a lower league club quite a few years back.

I agree ,something has to be done. The problem is as stated above it's going to be difficult to find refs that don't support us or that scum in Scotland, and even then it comes down to proof . Be interesting to know how other countries of a similar size to us with a couple of big teams in their leagues handle it. One thing's for sure someone needs to make sure that fkin bheast ratbag Clancy is nowhere near any of our games again. Of course no one at the club will dare say anything.

All relevant but we say nothing and there is zero pressure and he thinks I can do this again because no one is highlighting it. We facilitate this . It stinks that we have to do this but this guy is a cheat. Blatant at that .
I think it's down to the Rangers media that are in for press conference's such as David Edgar and other Rangers fans to start highlighting it at press conference's to get it out there and not let it go silent every time. Hopefully it gets brought up on Thursday at the press conference

So, I'm not the best with words and articulating things the way it sounds in my mind, but I'll give this a go cause it bothers me the amount of fans who come out with the naive ideas that "as long as we play well, it doesn't matter bout the ref". It does. Last night shows that.

Those with this view, don't clutter up ma thread. I'm no disagreeing with you that we were gash last night. But at the same time, on the same pitch, something else was occurring. The two things can be exclusive

So, in England, the sensible agreed idea is that referees are like everyone else and support a particular team. Stands to reason, they don't ever officiate that teams matches. In Scotland, it's purely because of the numbers of refs we have that we can't follow suit, but that leaves the undoubted truth the refs still support certain teams.

Kevin Clancy clearly does, and more accurate, holds a genuine disdain for Rangers. In big matches, he struggles to hide it. This logic, and his otherwise inexcusable performances repeatedly against us, is also the reason the club SHOULD be calling him out, and officially requesting he doesn't referee any of our matches again.....he simply cannot be trusted, and in practice repeatedly has failed, to be impartial.

Not that I feel compelled to be nice to this cretin, it's almost and to a certain degree, not his fault. He has an innate predisposition to view and make decisions against us given his makeup. You can't switch this off for 90mins. It's like you or I refereeing that game last night. Even if we tried hard (and I'm not too sure Clancy does), we will simply view things different than if an Aberdeen fan was refereeing. And both of us will be different from a real life 'neutral'

Clancy hates Rangers. So when he sees borderline ridiculous clown antics of Brown, he genuinely thinks blame lies with the Rangers player. He thinks when Aberdeen players go down, it must be a Rangers player doing wrong. He can't accept an Aberdeen player makes contact with a Rangers player nose, despite blood from the impact, as anything other than a mistake. But other way around, same scenario, would undoubtedly have seen a card for one of ours.

The man awarded 21 fouls against us, sent off a player for 2 non existent bookings, yellow carded Hagi early on when he could easily have not (don't bring out the 'rule book' cause same rule book was ignored at the moving ball penalty), booked Morelos for penalty shitey handball and missed Hayes elbowing 2 Rangers players.

Refs make mistakes. Clancy made one last night at the McGregor (non) penalty. Don't think for a second cause that wasn't awarded that either Clancy isn't kicking himself in hindsight when he realised there was contact, or that it somehow discredits the idea he hates us and this hatred directly influences his decision making.

I saw a ref at the weekend AC Milan game make a howling mistake, apparently he was in tears thereafter. Mistakes happen. Bad games happen. Some refs are just poor - Alan Muir, Steven McLean et al

In Scotland, some refs are tainted by their fear to award against Celtic due to years of a wise PR machine- step up Madden and Beaton.....that's a different story

And some refs hate teams, but hand on heart, none fail to hide it more than Clancy versus Rangers (though Don Robertson comes close and last nights 4th official David Munros worth the watching)

Some are able to be impartial despite things - I think Collum and Walsh fall into this category

Numbers of refs apart, were we to have the same sensible rule as England, Clancy wouldn't be allowed near us. He is simply unable to be fair minded any more than I could if I had to referee Celtic, or any game involving Brown. His cheating did and always will, impact us whe were playing.....its just when were on it, it's less noticeable.

The man can't be allowed to referee Rangers ever again. But of course, he will. That's what's wrong and that's what should be questioned

It is a very long post :), but all good points, well articulated OP!

I'm not sure what the answer is, as Clancy is doing exactly what his paymasters and the filth currently running the Scottish game, want him to do.

I think we could make some comments as a club questioning his decisions and impartiality, but no one bar us gives a f*** if we're hard done by, or flat out cheated.

Would help if the few Rangers supporting pundits out there in the media had a go at Clancy, Robertson etc. With a bit of attention and pressure on them, they'd be a lot less likely to keep making the same "mistakes" that consistently go against Rangers.

I think it's down to the Rangers media that are in for press conference's such as David Edgar and other Rangers fans to start highlighting it at press conference's to get it out there and not let it go silent every time. Hopefully it gets brought up on Thursday at the press conference

That's a good idea, here's a suggestion as to how I'd like to see the question framed;

Good morning Mr VanB.

What was your opinion of Kevin Clancy's refereeing performance at Pittordrie Tuesday night?

Do you agree that he's sneaky wee beady eyed mentally challenged rhat, a product of the St Aloysius bigot factory that would be no more capable of refereeing Rangers with impartiality, than his priest would be at resisting the temptation to bugger him senseless?

Opposition main tactics involve using the ref. That rugby tackle to keep the player onside was pre-worked, falling over with the slightest touch was a tactic, elbowing/kicking off the ball was a tactic, Brown getting a player sent off was a tactic.
The media are also in on this, that ref would of been slaughtered for that performance in a normal footballing country.

Agree with Al you say apart from shagger penalty

By using the word personification, you are staying that he is non human and taking on human traits.

The only trait I see with him is Bias.

I believe he should not be allowed to referee any top flight games again.

If Sir Alex Ferguson thought a ref had it in for his team, he'd put that ref under pressure at a Press Conference before an important game was played. We know Clancy hates us, but we allow him to continue to cheat us, season after season.
The yahoos call it out and use their useful idiots to spread the word when they have a concern over refs. We have 2 choices - Get our thoughts out there and risk the wrath of the CO or say nothing and we carry on as it is.

Just for note any time the yahoos board call out referees the CO has never got involved.

Celtic get apologies from Refs us on the other hand are told we actually got away with some decisions.

The Partick Thistle support would double.

We’ll get shafted perpetually while the club, the manager(s) and players choose to sit in silence.

It’s as simple as that.

The Partick Thistle support would double.
Agreed!

I'm not actually suggesting Scottish refs start declaring allegiances, but instead saying that when it becomes to blindingly obvious, like Clancy, that allegiances preclude fairness, we need to call it out and demand they dont officiate our games no more

One afternoon watching this cheat referee any Rangers game will tell you who he supports.
I don’t care who they support as long as they are fair minded and referee every game to the same standard and to the best of their ability. Not what we are being served here.
That man is beyond incompetent and it is now plain as the nose on your face he is at it.

It's a good post with valid points but if Clancy declares himself a scum fan then that would bar him from officiating scum games not Rangers games, I know the point your making as Clancy has as agenda against Rangers but it still wouldn't necessarily bar him from our games. It's not an easy answer as it's not so much who you support but who you hate.

another thing that i was thinking,with the ball moving at the penalty,if ferguson missed its a cert that clancy would have made him retake it,as he scored,nothing to see here,the rule states if ball moving it must be retaken.

They simply need to be held accountable, and face consequences for shocking decisions, I thinking bringing in full time refs is a must. If you look at it as a neutral, at best Clancy the other night and previously destroyed that game as a contest and allowed the sheep to resort to there cheating tactics of previous seasons. If a red misses something or can't see, fine. Also the lino did nothing about Borna being purposely elbowed in the face, he was feet away. The entire officiating team needs scrutinized.

RCs make up approx 17% of the population in Scotland, so proportionately 1 in 6 refs MAY support celtic. This means a much larger number probably have Rangers leanings. Unfortunately we know which team would successfully turn the narrative so they were the victims.

Those demographics would make you think just over 1 maybe 2 top referees are Catholic in Scotland.

Ha Ha, Stewart Regan made sure it was the majority. And the system is set up so the next generation is the same. AKA Munro

Last edited:
Unconscious bias is the phrase the OP is looking for. We all do it and the idea that Clancy calls our games with an inbuilt bias against rangers is not absurd. By the same tone that reversal of this with rangers leaning refs could happen too.

But that’s where the press pressure and manipulation comes in and terrifies Beaton and Madden from displaying unconscious bias. Self preservation dictates the likes of Madden and Beaton performances.
FFS, a Rangers leaning referee. Where do we find one of them. Tiny Wharton was the last.

Wouldn't make a difference in afraid. Say he came out and said he supported Celtic. He's not allowed to officiate their games fair enough. But technically he could still officiate ours. If you want to make to go the route of fans of certain teams aren't allowed to ref matches involving us because they may harbour resentment/harltred for us.......what team in the league doesn't?

Agreed!

I'm not actually suggesting Scottish refs start declaring allegiances, but instead saying that when it becomes to blindingly obvious, like Clancy, that allegiances preclude fairness, we need to call it out and demand they dont officiate our games no more
Time for that was after the game at the piggery in 2019 when Clancy done everything he could to help his team but we went with dignified silence and said nothing. Tuesday was up there with that performance again from Clancy and we say nothing again.

The problem you have is the majority of refs are from the west and central Scotland so they're more than likely going to be either supporters of us or them.

Munro has been on my radar since his first game, the white bit on his collar is covered up.
Another Read Battler just waiting on Clancy's mantle.

Even if the question were asked, he would lie about it. That's what they do.
I club I used to train at obviously had some celtc fans at it, one of them was openly part of the goon brigade and didn't hide the fact that he was training to be a referee.
In the next few years I'll keep an eye out for his name.

Back