Kevin Keegan Autobiography

der_hammer10

Had this book on the shelf so finally got round to finishing it. Comes across as one of life’s good guys, and what a career he had as a player.

The final couple of chapters talk about his final role in football with Newcastle under Ashley. Absolutely incredible what he was up against with Ashley, Jiminez, Llambias and Wise.

Says they sabotaged deals for Woodgate and Hyypia. Jiminez told Keegan he wasn’t allowed in to the negotiations with Woodgate. Jiminez also told Luka Modric’s agent that he was too small to play in England and wasn’t good enough.

Wise told Keegan that James Milner was being sold because they were at an advanced stage in signing a 23 year old Schweinsteiger. Keegan phoned Rummenigge who pissed himself laughing saying Newcastle had offered €5m.

Tip of the iceberg was Wise telling Keegan they were signing two players, Gonzalez and Xisco at a cost of around £10m in fees and wages, as a favour to agents, and that he didn’t have to play them.

How are chancers like that ever allowed to earn big money in football, running football clubs into the ground and treating people like shite.

It is skin crawling that Llambias and Ashley had anything to do with our club.

It's a great read. You can't help but like Keegan. Easy to laugh at him blowing the title whilst completely forgetting that he saved Newcastle from going into the third tier of English football in the first place. The job he did there was incredible.

The story of Michael Jackson in the dressing room is laugh out loud funny

Had this book on the shelf so finally got round to finishing it. Comes across as one of life’s good guys, and what a career he had as a player.

The final couple of chapters talk about his final role in football with Newcastle under Ashley. Absolutely incredible what he was up against with Ashley, Jiminez, Llambias and Wise.

Says they sabotaged deals for Woodgate and Hyypia. Jiminez told Keegan he wasn’t allowed in to the negotiations with Woodgate. Jiminez also told Luka Modric’s agent that he was too small to play in England and wasn’t good enough.

Wise told Keegan that James Milner was being sold because they were at an advanced stage in signing a 23 year old Schweinsteiger. Keegan phoned Rummenigge who pissed himself laughing saying Newcastle had offered €5m.

Tip of the iceberg was Wise telling Keegan they were signing two players, Gonzalez and Xisco at a cost of around £10m in fees and wages, as a favour to agents, and that he didn’t have to play them.

How are chancers like that ever allowed to earn big money in football, running football clubs into the ground and treating people like shite.

That really boils my piss. Basically proof that football is a money laundering racket. Disgusting

If Llambias or Ashley died tonight I’d light a cigar. Cancerous swines. Could watch them both be consumed by a massive house fire and not feel a flicker of emotion.

Watching the old Big Math Live you can see what a player he was and yet he was tiny. Yes theres the 96 rsnt and falling off his bike on superstars, but what a player he was. One of the best ever from the UK

That’s my next read sorted

off topic but has anyone read Bobby Robsons book?

best Non rangers sports book I’ve read by a country mile

He did a charity event at Kip Marina with big Doddie Weir few years back. Doddle had Keegan on his shoulders wandering around the marina drunk as a skunk having a great time. The event run by a local businessman who was a big Liverpool fan raised a ton of money.

He was a great player. Remember when he was at Ibrox for the 4 team pre season tournament and he spent a lot of time outside just speaking to fans.

My favourite player Kevin Keegan. Named my oldest son Kevin after him at his peak he was the best player around.

Was back on holiday in Scotland when he was appointed Manager the second time.

Remember making a point of going down the pub to watch his first game in charge. Was midweek I think, 0-0 draw. Tottenham or Bolton?

I was at Wembley in 1979 when he ran ragged a very good Scotland side. One of the very best of the last 40 years.

He was a great player. Remember when he was at Ibrox for the 4 team pre season tournament and he spent a lot of time outside just speaking to fans.

Remember reading an article by him from years ago, when he admitted he was never born with a god give talent so practised, trained and practised putting the work in so he became as talented as he eventually did.

Something kids should take to heart.

That’s great autobiography and he is one of life’s good guys

I remember seeing him on MOTD as he played his first games for Liverpool.

He certainly took English football by storm but a few of the experts figured he couldn’t keep up the level because of his size.

Even in those days there were too many “chancers” on TV.

Remember reading an article by him from years ago, when he admitted he was never born with a god give talent so practised, trained and practised putting the work in so he became as talented as he eventually did.

Something kids should take to heart.
He also knew his value - when moving from Scunthorpe to Liverpool he was offered £35 a week, held out for £50. When you see what footballers earn now with a fraction of his dedication it’s frightening.

If every manager played the Kevin Keegan way, football would be a lot more entertaining. I watched a documentary about him during Lockdown 1 and he came across a very driven and confident person in the 70s and couldn't help but admire him so I'm guessing his book would be a good read

Top player in his day, and an adventurous manager. We will score more than you was his motto I think. Newcastle v Liverpool were awesome matches under Keegan.

I seem to remember him playing in Doddies testimonial at Tynecastle, arriving or leaving in a helicopter (or did i dream that?)
I was at the game. Can't remember a helicopter but that's not to say It didn't happen. I'm trying to remember if he played one half for us and one for hearts. I'd been to a few Gorgie hostelries prior to KO.

Last edited:
He did a charity event at Kip Marina with big Doddie Weir few years back. Doddle had Keegan on his shoulders wandering around the marina drunk as a skunk having a great time. The event run by a local businessman who was a big Liverpool fan raised a ton of money.
He had a place down at the marina

Back