Kevin Keegan (still alive)

Arkansasgerstill

Trevor Brooking ???? He was a midfielder never recall him having a partnership with Keegan ! That’s a new one on me
You obviously weren’t at Wembley in 79!!! I know exactly what DH1963 meant. Too narrow minded in your head. Keegan moved and Brooking would find him over and over again.

Biniaro11

Never met him but I’m sure I’ve read on here that he was a more than decent man. Maybe a few guys have met him through the football thing he had at Braehead. These Brian Moore programmes are a good watch.
Met him about 10 years ago. Decent humble guy who has had his successful and unsuccessful times both in business and football.

Kirbybear

Being quite old now I can remember him coming to York with Scunthorpe United, probably 1969-1970 season so he'd still be teenager. City won 3-2 as I recall but he got both the goals for Scunny and really stood out.
I read somewhere that as a young pro he would get a Summer job in the steelworks to boost his earnings.
Rumour was that his hometown club, Doncaster Rovers had turned him down as being too small; not sure if that's true but if it is they missed a gem.

PunkScott

Being a Geordie, Newcastle were my 2nd team when I was younger and I have fond memories of Keegan's team 92 to 97. (I'm pretty bitter toward my home team now though)

People want to know what Mark Warburton could have been with money, look at Newcastle's Entertainers, goals for fun, no defense.

basiltherat

Played 5 a side against him in Dubai in late 80s. He'd been retired a few years and hadn't yet got into management. Chance of a 50/50 came up and I reckoned I'd do him ended up on my arse after flying through the air backwards for about 10 yards. A big lesson
Nice guy, had a beer and a chat with everyone afterwards but disappeared with a couple of ladies while we all stayed and got smashed. George Best and Pat Jennings were part of the same event. Best just sat in a corner getting pissed talking to no one (had to get him out the bar for the start of the games). Jennings tried to mix but was very quiet.

Greenock_Loyal

My old man met him few times when he stayed in Inverkip, used to give him lifts to work on occasion when he was going to his place in Braehead (old man worked in IBM on same route).

Said he was genuine decent guy who would happily talk about football. Very generous as well.

Marstonbear

This must be a first in FF history, 89 posts in and everyone seems unanimous that KK is a good guy.

I’d like to concur. KK was doing a signing thing in London during the summer of 1981. Place was suitably mobbed and after a while the organiser came out to say time was up
and no more autographs would be given.

I gave the organiser some verbal along the lines of “I bet you and your chums all got autographs.” Anyways, few minutes later Keegan comes out, signs for everyone still there (including my copy of Shankly’s autobiography) and assures me that England would be crazy to blow qualification for next summer’s World Cup (although they tried their best by losing 2-1 to Norway).

That’s 39 years ago now and the fact I remember it like it was yesterday speaks volumes for the impression he made on a 15 year old me.

Wazza

Just watching an old documentary on him on ITV4 filmed during his time at Hamburg.

Credentials as a great and successful player are fairly clear.

What about the person? Comes across (as a younger guy) as being a bit thick, but very astute and driven in terms of career, money, ambition.

Also seemed to be a really decent guy with the fans and a genuine family guy.

Had him pigeon holed as a bit of a fanny but re-evaluating a bit now.

What say the hanging judges of FF??

(Documentary finished now, but the next one is on Niki Lauda, in case anyone’s interested)
What was the name of this please mate? Think it must be the one where various players were featured like Ardiles, Villa, Muhren that I watched last week myself on ITV 4 and has been on a few times but just checking. Cheers.

TimzRFudz

What was the name of this please mate? Think it must be the one where various players were featured like Ardiles, Villa, Muhren that I watched last week myself on ITV 4 and has been on a few times but just checking. Cheers.
Hi - no, was only Keegan, although I there are other episodes focusing on different sports people.

It was from a series (in the late 70s / early 80s I think) called "Brian Moore meets...." It was on ITV4.

SDF

Ah great, found it for anyone else after it. Cheers.

I watched this last night and thought it was really entertaining. You can't help but like Keegan.

Incredible to think he went from £22,000 a year at Liverpool to £122,000 basic a year at Hamburg and then £400,000 a year when you factor in his sponsorships.

defender

A mate chased him around the car park at the Dell when we played them in a friendly with a roll of Southampton wall paper, I'm sure he sees the funny side now (Keegan that is).

Sir Sasa Papac

His front wheel is clearly gubbed from the get go but that video shows how down to earth he is.

Many a prima dona sportsman would have milked that and been stretchered off or moaned about the bike.

But he just gets up, plays it down and says he’s fine despite what can only be described as a bastard of a scrape on his shoulder

Surge

Should listen to top flight time machine podcast doing a deep dive into Kevin Keegan's autobiography.

Hamburg he was introduced to 'kuntenpowder'
Was just coming on to post the same thing. I haven't read the book, just listened to their 44 episode breakdown/loving piss take of it, but the impression from that was that was that Keegan came across as a decent, and genuine (but slightly eccentric) bloke, maybe a bit too honest for his own good.

People will either love this or be on here posting how the podcasters are completely unfunny twats and they switched it off after 10 minutes.

If anyone does like it, go back and listen to their World Cup reviews and initial breakdowns of 90s premier league seasons. The opening 5 mins of the South Africa one featuring Colonel Gaddafi, Zacumi the World Cup mascot and a scaffolding poll is my personal favourite.

CD Bear

About 12 years ago my wife had a wee cafe in Castle Douglas. i came in from work for lunch & walked right past him. He was sitting at a table on his own having a snack & reading the paper quite happily. My Mrs said she recognised him from somewhere & I had a look & told her who it was. He was friendly to our waitress who came from Wigan & he was happy to chat away to her for a while. Came across as very down to earth & just wanted to be treated as an ordinary punter.Nice lad.

Gord1983

Was just coming on to post the same thing. I haven't read the book, just listened to their 44 episode breakdown/loving piss take of it, but the impression from that was that was that Keegan came across as a decent, and genuine (but slightly eccentric) bloke, maybe a bit too honest for his own good.

People will either love this or be on here posting how the podcasters are completely unfunny twats and they switched it off after 10 minutes.

If anyone does like it, go back and listen to their World Cup reviews and initial breakdowns of 90s premier league seasons. The opening 5 mins of the South Africa one featuring Colonel Gaddafi, Zacumi the World Cup mascot and a scaffolding poll is my personal favourite.

My mate put me on to this podcast, I listened to the episodes on Keane's books, then Keegan book, found both of them pretty funny.