Kevin Keegan (still alive)

TimzRFudz

Just watching an old documentary on him on ITV4 filmed during his time at Hamburg.

Credentials as a great and successful player are fairly clear.

What about the person? Comes across (as a younger guy) as being a bit thick, but very astute and driven in terms of career, money, ambition.

Also seemed to be a really decent guy with the fans and a genuine family guy.

Had him pigeon holed as a bit of a fanny but re-evaluating a bit now.

What say the hanging judges of FF??

(Documentary finished now, but the next one is on Niki Lauda, in case anyone’s interested)

Never met him but I’m sure I’ve read on here that he was a more than decent man. Maybe a few guys have met him through the football thing he had at Braehead. These Brian Moore programmes are a good watch.

Never met him but I’m sure I’ve read on here that he was a more than decent man. Maybe a few guys have met him through the football thing he had at Braehead. These Brian Moore programmes are a good watch.
Watched a bit of it and came across as a decent guy. £400,000 salary 40 years ago! Think I was earning about £2,000 pa then.

He had a brilliant club partnership at Liverpool with John Toshack and at international level with Trevor Brooking.

A very good player who got every ounce out his career through hard work and determination to the best he could be.

met him on various occasions years ago as him and my dad had race horses with the same trainer. Every time we were in his company he came across as an absolute top class guy. Very unassuming and down to earth.

Just watching an old documentary on him on ITV4 filmed during his time at Hamburg.

What about the person? Comes across (as a younger guy) as being a bit thick, but very astute and driven in terms of career, money, ambition.

(Documentary finished now, but the next one is on Niki Lauda, in case anyone’s interested)
Niki Lauda - now that was a truly driven man

Met him while he had his soccer thing down at Braehead.

Took Football team down for a session as weather had closed pitches for weeks

Keegan not only turned up to meet and greet but went round the circuit with the boys he then took an actual training session with them.

Was well impressed with his dedication and genuine interest in the game - sad to see his venture didn't work out but certainly came across as a real Football man

He had a brilliant club partnership at Liverpool with John Toshack and at international level with Trevor Brooking.

A very good player who got every ounce out his career through hard work and determination to the best he could be.

Was clear from the documentary that he was definitely a grafter. Was about to say that he seemed quite grounded - openly talking about how when he was at school a lad a year younger than him was keeping him out of the county team. But then he went on to talk about being Prime Minister at some point, so maybe less so...!

Good guy met him at some soccer school thing he was running a good few years back in braehead took plenty time to talk to the kids etc

Was just messaging my big Hamburg mate after watching this. His reply, Keegan was called "Mighty Mouse" by the HSV fans and is still " a hero & very popular over here" his words. I asked him about the disco tune they were singing at the Rathaus after parading through the city with the Bundesliga, no answer yet :)

I remember he took part in Superstars and fell off his bike. I don't think he was badly injured though.

His Newcastle team were great to watch and then his meltdown on sky sports was of Martin O'Neil wibble proporstions after Fergie had wound him up.

Keegan not only turned up to meet and greet but went round the circuit with the boys he then took an actual training session with them.

Was well impressed with his dedication and genuine interest in the game - sad to see his venture didn't work out but certainly came across as a real Football man

I went with my mates when football was called off for ice and snow and Keegan was there.

He went round with us and gave us advice on everything, it was amazing the little things he noticed. He was an absolute gent, he paid for us to go round a second time and he took part and destroyed us all.

I've heard he was brilliant at the braehead thing.

He had a soccer skills school thing at braehead years ago. We went with the school and met him. Was a great day and he was great, takin the time to speak to us and doing some passin and shooting drills

Great player who worked to make the best of the talent he had, him and Toshack were a lethal partnership and one of the reasons, along with Steve Heighway, I loved watching Shankly’s Liverpool team.
Always remember when he was featured on This Is Your Life, the surprise guest at the end was a nun. Suppose nobody’s perfect.

He's always seemed a decent, honest guy to me... but emotionally driven.

I like Keegan. I think he's unfairly maligned as a manager and as a person.

Too much focus on losing out in 95/96 and not enough focus on the remarkable job he did in the 3 years previous. Saved Newcastle from certain relegation to Division 3 and then had them finish 3rd in the EPL two years later.

Real nice guy and a lot more astute than one or two on here suggested. Was in the same Primary class in school as my Missus in Armthorpe in Yorkshire.

His 2 Balon D’ors say he was better than good.

Met KK when i worked at Centerparcs as he came into our restaurant one time when he had soccer schools there , absolute gem of a guy that had his photo taken and signed autographs with anyone that asked , was there with his wife and 2 daughters who sat waiting patiently for the best part of 20 mins , guess they were used to him having to sign autographs and get photos taken wherever he went

Back