Kevin Nisbet (Dunfermline) v Lawrence Shankland

Seems a sensible one to keep an eye on. Low risk and potential. If it doesnt work out, it's hardly going to break the bank.

We really need to look at our own youngsters before spending money on these guys.
We could have got Shankland for free let him train with us and put him out on loan and see how he did.
I am really loathe to give his team any cash.

Neither option fill me with excitement but sometimes its these signing that surprise you. Difficulty is making sure the player suits our style as no point signing someone who is suited to a particular style and then expecting same standard out them playing a different way

I know it is difficult to spot potential but I watched Robertson at Hampden against us when he was an 18 year old - he looked exceptional. There will be some young players in the lower leagues who will make it but I think that Robertson was a once in a generation player

Not once in a generation at all, he was given the chance at a higher level and took it, then at a higher level still etc etc. We have youth players far more talented than him, their problem is being giving the pathway to play 30 games in the first team!

You only have to look at Flanagan being picked over Paterson, when it is clear the boy is more talented, and needs first team football to learn and grow as a playe.

He looked quality to me. Fast, comfortable on the ball and could tackle. I made a point of watching him more closely at Ibrox and thought the same. I rarely notice the opposition players - I concentrate too much on us. As a result I have missed many youngsters who reached the top. But I genuinely thought he stood out and said so to my mates at the time.
Then you also woukd have mentioned Blair as he was head and shoulders above everyone in those QP teams
Now it turns out Blair has not really kicked on though he has done ok
We let Blair go which seems the right call

it’s impossible ish to tell separate entity let Robertson go and they saw him every day

The boy at livi? Don’t think he’s anywhere near the level we need. Nor do I think the other 2 would either. Clark showed me you can bang them in at a lower level and then fail at us.

All the comparisons to Clarke of any lower league striker are just lazy, I’m afraid. Clarke was simply not a very good player. A look at his stats would show that he hit a hot streak in one good season and never scored like that before or since. Players doing it consistently over a few seasons are a very different prospect. I don’t know enough about these players to say how good they are but claiming that they aren’t good enough because Clarke wasn’t good is no more insightful than saying we need to put them all on immediate long term contracts because Davie Cooper and one James Curran Baxter turned out to be amongst the greatest of all time.

[QUOTEi="Mr ShakedownI, post: 5170733, member: 1147"]
He is young?
[/QUOTE]
I know 24 is young but I thought he was about 19/20

I've thought for a while we should pick up players like him.

Sign him for a low fee, can easily be put on loan if not ready for our 1st team squad, does well then we have the option to hold onto him or sell him for a profit. If not good enough at all then pretty low risk.
Will you get that fucking thing in your avatar to %^*& please? :D

id bring in dykes before the two of them
Anything like this pair?
e9a016c6c38569dfeac13b4f06a873a1.jpg

I'm a better shout for Rangers than Shankland.
What is wrong with people? Can you imagine playing Braga and Shankland is leading the line?
Mental! Batshit mental!!!!

Well its not gonna happen obviously but next season playing in europe i dont see why not.

And even if he isnt good enough to be play in the middle on his own Shankland would certainly be a good option to have in the squad as we will pick up more injuries/suspension than everyone else due to bent refs. I doubt anyone would moan if we could get Shankland now but ofcourse the fee is getting higher every week and Utd are quite right to expect at least £2m, maybe even double that.

But yes i know we can only win european games with foreign players no scottish lad has ever played well against sides of the same standard as Braga.:)

But yes i know we can only win european games with foreign players no scottish lad has ever played well against sides of the same standard as Braga.:)

Exactly. Just look at Liverpool. Barely even any English guys there.

The thought that a player could be plucked from the lower reaches of Scottish football and do ok?

Ridiculous.

we had lee wallace playing at the time can you imagine us signing a queens Park left back at the time ? no one did and thank god we didn't its not as if we're noted for playing youths

It’s never cast McCoist in a good light that he had the chance to sign Robertson but passed it up.

For the player it was the best thing that happened to him.

The boy at livi? Don’t think he’s anywhere near the level we need. Nor do I think the other 2 would either. Clark showed me you can bang them in at a lower level and then fail at us.
So one player fails and we right everyone else off.
I'm that case Grezda failed do we never go back to that market

Some decent finishes in there. Ideally this is what our third striker should probably be. Someone who wouldn’t be upset at not getting games but chips in when called for.

Not once in a generation at all, he was given the chance at a higher level and took it, then at a higher level still etc etc. We have youth players far more talented than him, their problem is being giving the pathway to play 30 games in the first team!

You only have to look at Flanagan being picked over Paterson, when it is clear the boy is more talented, and needs first team football to learn and grow as a playe.
It is a lot easier for a youth player to catch the eye if they are midfield or up front where they can dominate games and score/create goals. A defender will mainly be judged on stopping the opposition and if the opposition are not up to much then he will struggle to impress. I agree that this is a problem for Paterson. He will be able to improve as an attacking full back with the youths but will not develop as a defender without first team football.
I read that we have a lot of talent in the youths but how do they play when they step up and train with the first team. Is there a willie henderson/willie johnston/Derek johnstone there. These guys made their debuts at 16/17 and played for good scotland teams at 18.

Saw him 5 times that season
QP conceded quite a few and he must have been bang average
Always amazed years on people remember how good he was
Not one person even mentioned him at the time

only guy in that QP team that stood out was Blair Spital
That’s just not true. During the December game the match thread was full of people pointing out how good he looked (until he tired and made a few errors in the last 15-20 mins) and there were threads for days after with lots of people saying we should sign him as backup to Lee Wallace.

Did anyone think he’d go on to win the Champions a League? Of course not, not in my wildest dreams did I think he’d turn out to be THAT good. But it’s revisionist history to pretend that lots and lots of us saw a very good young player that we didn’t expect to see at that level.

rather have shankland to be honest

I don't think Shankland is robust enough to play up front for us.It's a different ball game playing for a big club like our's, than operating at a lower based club.
You don't recieve the same attention from the hammer throwers, as you do while playing for us.As has been proven with Alfredo Morelos.
We need to sign another quality striker with experience, if were serious about winning the title this season.
We can't afford to buy potential via younger players, as we just haven't got the time to do that.
I think if we bring in 2 or 3 very good players, we'll win the title, and possibly the Scottish Cup also.omo.

That’s just not true. During the December game the match thread was full of people pointing out how good he looked (until he tired and made a few errors in the last 15-20 mins) and there were threads for days after with lots of people saying we should sign him as backup to Lee Wallace.

Did anyone think he’d go on to win the Champions a League? Of course not, not in my wildest dreams did I think he’d turn out to be THAT good. But it’s revisionist history to pretend that lots and lots of us saw a very good young player that we didn’t expect to see at that level.

Also should be noted a lot of league 2 teams of the year that season as an 18 year old

Would maybe go for dykes, proven goal scorer this league and seems good technical player who would get us goals.

Shankland is a bit ahead of Nisbet for me. Nisbet has turned his game around and need to see if he keeps improving

Dykes?

Lyndon Dykes?

From Livingston?

yeah the one out of the 3 thats scored at this level.

ftr i dont want any of them, just stating Dykes would hypothetically be a better option than the two mentioned

Nisbet has had a good season but Shankland is the player to sign.

Don’t know huge amounts about either player but Shankland is a higher risk prospect in that he would cost a hell of a lot more. Nisbet could be signed for a pittance. If Shankland’s reward is high enough then that’s fine. But if Nisbet is seen as being at a similar level then risk/reward would favour him.

ok if you say so

I never read anything

I also saw him 5 times in a defence that conceded plenty against us and others.

It doesn't really matter as he turned out great.

Don’t know huge amounts about either player but Shankland is a higher risk prospect in that he would cost a hell of a lot more. Nisbet could be signed for a pittance. If Shankland’s reward is high enough then that’s fine. But if Nisbet is seen as being at a similar level then risk/reward would favour him.
Shankland could also have been signed for a pittance from Ayr last season.

I accept that we had Wallace to the time. However, Robertson impressed me more than any other young defender in the 50 + years that I have been watching Rangers. I thought it amazing that only Dundee Utd took a punt.

so you're accepting that he wouldn't have played for us .........

its a myth we should've signed him

Saw him 5 times that season
QP conceded quite a few and he must have been bang average
Always amazed years on people remember how good he was
Not one person even mentioned him at the time

only guy in that QP team that stood out was Blair Spital

Ditto. Simply didn't see it at all with him and we horsed them a few times. Some amount of scouts on here.

Shankland could also have been signed for a pittance from Ayr last season.

Yep. And perhaps we should have. But we are where we are now. And neither he nor Nisbet are sure - or even necessarily likely - to be successful with us. I’m fine with a low risk gamble but I’d be very wary of £2mill for a championship player.

Does look like the boy has something. Buy and loan back might be an option worth looking at.

Back