Kevin Phillips on Patrick Bamford

He looked garbage anytime I saw him in the championship but his goals last night were class and now theres talk of an England call up

Bamford has been vilified on here - the usual suspects are now holding their hands up :rolleyes:

Sorry a hat trick in a game against Villa who are rotten, won't change my mind. He is absolute garbage and id happily bet against him getting anywhere near 15 goals this season.

I remember he was the victim of inverse snobbery at Burnley under Dyche.

Dyche didn’t think he’d graft enough because he’s from a well off family, and unsurprisingly Dyche didn’t get hammered for it.

Just because of that, I hope Bamford kicks on.

Christ, Dyche would've binned Vialli within a year.

I was saying to a mate who’s a Leeds fan that I thought he was a decent striker but more a back up and not the striker they needed that was going to get them match winning goals. He’s proving me wrong so far

Sorry a hat trick in a game against Villa who are rotten, won't change my mind. He is absolute garbage and id happily bet against him getting anywhere near 15 goals this season.

Fair play considering he is already over a third of the way there.

He is proving me wrong thats for sure.

Fair play considering he is already over a third of the way there.

He is proving me wrong thats for sure.

Ive watched him live often enough to believe im right lol.

Yeah he could prove me wrong, wouldnt be the first time, but at least I'd be making a nice donation.

I expect a Pukki type season though. Good tally the first half of the year, until defences work Leeds out, then a clamp down. So I can see him getting 10 or 11 by Jan, then maybe 1 or 2 more after that. As I said. Ive been wrong before, but im absolutely convinced Ive got Bamfords measure mate

I remember he was the victim of inverse snobbery at Burnley under Dyche.

Dyche didn’t think he’d graft enough because he’s from a well off family, and unsurprisingly Dyche didn’t get hammered for it.

Just because of that, I hope Bamford kicks on.
Dyche is a ritch mans mcinnes hammer throwing shite that God there being found out this season I hope they go down and never come back up again

Bamford has always scored goals at Championship level but he's was your archetypal "needs 10 chances to score 1 goal" before this season.

Remains to be seen if he can do this over a full season or he's three month flash in the pan at this level like Michael Ricketts.

This. Let's at least wait until Xmas before judging him a success in the EPL.

I think its harsh to judge people who didnt rate Bamford. People who watched him every week for Leeds doubted him and at one point wanted Nketiah to start instead of him. Credit to Bamford though hes been brilliant so far

He looked garbage anytime I saw him in the championship but his goals last night were class and now theres talk of an England call up
Tells you how far English players have regressed.
If you buy a ticket for Wimbledon and scoff some strawberries washed down with a Pims you get called up these days.

Hes doing far better this season than many would have thought.

Maybe finally making the step to the next level or a temporary purple patch? Time will tell.

Even when he's not scoring he puts in a power of work but then i think anyone who plays for Bielsa has to.

Ive watched him live often enough to believe im right lol.

Yeah he could prove me wrong, wouldnt be the first time, but at least I'd be making a nice donation.

I expect a Pukki type season though. Good tally the first half of the year, until defences work Leeds out, then a clamp down. So I can see him getting 10 or 11 by Jan, then maybe 1 or 2 more after that. As I said. Ive been wrong before, but im absolutely convinced Ive got Bamfords measure mate

Ive got a Leeds daft mate who I’ve constantly told they need to replace Bamford or they’ll get nowhere.

Im a bit like you, he’s proving me wrong so far and fair play but im sure in the long term I’ve not going to see him banging in 30 a season for Liverpool.

Well done for putting your money where your mouth is, I’ll be rooting for you :D

(And the money/dyche/family thing I had no idea about-absolutely pathetic that that’s a thing)

You have to put it in perspective.

Bamford is about the same age as the guys who rattle Kevin Phillips missus.

Sure that plays a part in his judgement on him.

Decent article in The Athletic today about him. He’s had a couple of decent spells at clubs where he’s scored goals but never seemed to click on his EPL loans from Chelsea.
He’s 27 now, entering his peak years. His finishing this season has been exquisite.

Quite incredible as despite scoring plenty in the Championship last season, he missed tons of chances. Must admit, I thought they needed to upgrade his position for the EPL.

Let's see how it plays out though as he isn't a stranger to going on a run of games without goals.

Seems like a nice guy and more interesting & articulate in interviews than many other footballers these days

Ive got a Leeds daft mate who I’ve constantly told they need to replace Bamford or they’ll get nowhere.

Im a bit like you, he’s proving me wrong so far and fair play but im sure in the long term I’ve not going to see him banging in 30 a season for Liverpool.

Well done for putting your money where your mouth is, I’ll be rooting for you :D

(And the money/dyche/family thing I had no idea about-absolutely pathetic that that’s a thing)

Haha, yeah so true mate. Hes started very well, so i give credit where its due.

Ive seen him live quite a few times, so thats gave me the confidence - however misplaced it may be - that il be proven right. Its a wee laugh though, and at least win or lose Erskine now benefit from a wee moment of bravado :)

A lot of guys who were deemed ‘championship level’ usually play up top themselves and have 1/2 chances per games max. Someone like Andy Johnston at Palace for example

Leeds and wolves have came up and play a type of football that gives their strikers the opportunity to express themselves

Even the best strikers miss chances

He is the kind of player who can go on a scoring streak then be absolutely shocking for periods I think under Bielsa he has become more focused on his finishing and link play

Well that’s clearly half a story :D

Go on......

His 2nd last night was a cracker, i thought he might struggle in the EPL but he is doing the opposite and fair play to him.

From what I read at the start of this seasons EPL I think almost every Leeds fan thought that Bamford would struggle to, he was being view as the weak link up front, a decent player but misses too many chances.

Still early days but proving doubters wrong so far.

Back