Kevin Phillips on Patrick Bamford

Bamford has always scored goals at Championship level but he's was your archetypal "needs 10 chances to score 1 goal" before this season.

Remains to be seen if he can do this over a full season or he's three month flash in the pan at this level like Michael Ricketts.
Jimmy Greaves used to say that was a good return and he was talking about himself!

I remember he was the victim of inverse snobbery at Burnley under Dyche.

Dyche didn’t think he’d graft enough because he’s from a well off family, and unsurprisingly Dyche didn’t get hammered for it.

Just because of that, I hope Bamford kicks on.
He just needs to keep digging in and he'll make the grade.

Saw on my twitter feed at half time George Galloway saying that Bamford was useless and Leeds needed a new striker

Generally flatters to deceive. His hat trick the other night was a major surprise, all 3 goals superbly taken.

One swallow and summer and all that. Let's wait and see.

Good hat-trick, The second and third were excellent goals.

I don’t see him as a 20-25 goals a season man though. He always seems to be a bit on the periphery and never seems to want to work too hard on the ugly side of the game.

I always think he looks like the rich kid that would turn up to the football trials with all the fancy gear and who wouldn’t get stuck in but would just run around.

Bamford has always scored goals at Championship level but he's was your archetypal "needs 10 chances to score 1 goal" before this season.

Remains to be seen if he can do this over a full season or he's three month flash in the pan at this level like Michael Ricketts.
Poor mans Kenny then

He puts in a ridiculous shift, nowhere near as bad as people make out.

You'd like to think he'll get 15+ goal this season with the amount of chances Leeds create.

I don’t see him as a 20-25 goals a season man though. He always seems to be a bit on the periphery and never seems to want to work too hard on the ugly side of the game.

I always think he looks like the rich kid that would turn up to the football trials with all the fancy gear and who wouldn’t get stuck in but would just run around.

This couldn't be the opposite of the truth.

The reason Bielsa has stuck with him is down to the shift he puts in. Indeed the work he puts in outside the box can often be to his detriment from a goal scoring perspective (in previous seasons)

This couldn't be the opposite of the truth.

The reason Bielsa has stuck with him is down to the shift he puts in. Indeed the work he puts in outside the box can often be to his detriment from a goal scoring perspective (in previous seasons)
I can only comment on the games I have seen mate. Maybe you know more than I do, if you have seen them more regularly?

I have a couple of Leeds supporting mates, who always said, until his recent goals, that he didn’t contribute much. They wanted him dropped.

Must admit I judged him too early. For Palace and Chelsea he just didn't look up to that much for me. Definitely proving me and many others wrong so far.

as a leeds fan i've been hyper critical of his goal scoring chances for a couple of years as he is not a natural goal scorer but equally i'm high in praise of his work ethic for the team he typifies the Billy Bremner quote of " Side Before Self " , thought he'd score between 12-15 EPL goals as he is a team player and a focus point of the leeds attack .............. a bit like Prso was a focal point of Rangers albeit Prso in a warrior sense where as Bamford its in a football sense

Last edited:
Bamford is a posh twat.

I'm sure he speaks highly of you too.

Is there a bit of the attitude like there was to Graeme Le Saux because he's not your archetypal football moron who can't string a sentence together then?

He's always looked like a hard working striker to me but maybe not your typical goal scorer. More a traditional 10 than a 9.

I'd have him over the likes of McBurnie who people cream themselves over on here.

Ive watched him live often enough to believe im right lol.

Yeah he could prove me wrong, wouldnt be the first time, but at least I'd be making a nice donation.

I expect a Pukki type season though. Good tally the first half of the year, until defences work Leeds out, then a clamp down. So I can see him getting 10 or 11 by Jan, then maybe 1 or 2 more after that. As I said. Ive been wrong before, but im absolutely convinced Ive got Bamfords measure mate

difference being Bamfords importance to Leeds can't be measured in goals , i was at 5 leeds games in the year before Covid and i thought he'd score between 12-15 goals but he contributes a lot lot more in other ways

you obviously have saw little of leeds.......... one thing that bamford cant be accused of is not working hard for the team

you obviously have saw little of leeds.......... one thing that bamford cant be accused of is not working hard for the team
I don’t watch every game but I have seen quite a few. Maybe I have caught him on his quieter days? He always seems to have been running around on the periphery, rather than chasing back and hunting opponents. Obviously he is having a good run at the moment.

I can only comment on the games I have seen mate. Maybe you know more than I do, if you have seen them more regularly?

I have a couple of Leeds supporting mates, who always said, until his recent goals, that he didn’t contribute much. They wanted him dropped.

I live in Leeds so I watch the majority of their games.

Before this season, the vast majority of their support didn't think he was good enough to step up. Like I said though, that wasn't for lack of effort, more quality in front of goal.

It's early in the season & he has been some honking runs without a goal in the past so interesting to see how it plays out

Reports yesterday by Phillips "Is he going to be a prolific goalscorer in the Premier League to get that 15 to 20? I don’t see it.”

Last night Bamford scores a 19 minute hat trick.
Oops

Fair play to Bamford, however Phillips wil still be probed right come the end of the season. I would put money on it.

Sorry a hat trick in a game against Villa who are rotten, won't change my mind. He is absolute garbage and id happily bet against him getting anywhere near 15 goals this season.
Villa... that took Liverpool apart..that have had a rock solid start to the season.... rotten... hardly.

You usually get a promoted team who does well and usually a forward who has a purple patch then the goals dry up. Let's look at him in may and make a decision then on if phillips was right or not

Back