Kevin Thomson defends his mate Scott Brown

Not much wrong with what Thomson is saying. If refs held Brown accountable for the way he behaves, there wouldn’t be an issue.

Thomson is bang on the money here. The problem lies with the referees, not Scott Brown. He's been doing it for years and we absolutely lap it up when Alfie slaps him off the ball etc.

Far too many Rangers fans are obsessed with that clown and go into a fit of rage at the mention of his name or seeing his face. He's a pantomime villain with very average footballing capability.
I half agree but the main issue is with Rangers players giving him the time of day when they should know if he's starved of the attention he seeks he'll just fade away like the non entity he is

Love KT to bits but his love in with his bead rattling pal is embarrassing at times.
My opinion here, he will never be back at Ibrox in any serious capacity, we’ve moved beyond the “lads that can either smash an opponent or wind them up”level,
Elite European level is where we shop now.

The future Rangers Manager crew will be up in arms, it is what it is. Couldn’t be like it myself but that shouldn’t be a slight on Thomson
I listened to the full interview and he made it clear that his ambition is to manage at the top level and that means in Scotland that his target is to become rangers manager.that bit of the interview about brown was about a minute at the end of a longer interview.

He was posting cryptic shit in the run up to GVB being appointed.

He's went a bit weird recently.
Talking in the third person on Open Goal and saying how “humble” he is about 10 times in the space of 45 minutes threw up some red flags.

His commentary with Clive Tyldesley was painful. Constantly talking about service stations, seagulls and how he loved a tackle.

Loved him as a player and liked him as a person however the more I hear him recently the more I wonder why he’s turned so weird.

Speaking on BBC Sportsound, he said: "Anyone can knock him but the reason he’s done so well is the reason there is so much animosity towards him from other fans.

"If you’re not big enough and brave enough handle Scott Brown winding you up then that’s on you.

"He does what he does and has had a brilliant career and continues to do and if ever you wanted a chance to knock him off his pedestal then this would be it and some of them still struggle.

"It’s not the way I was or what I would do but Scotty is his own person and gets to do what he wants to do.

"He’s had an unbelievable career that anyone in Scotland could only dream of.

"You need to be big enough and hard enough to deal with it. If you can’t deal with Scott Brown winding you up then that’s your problem.

"I played with and against Scott and he’s one of my good mates – I’d go to the gutter for him any day of the week and vice versa.

"I love him to bits and I’ve had to say that in front of 500 Rangers fans in a social club before and get booed but I won’t change for anyone and it’s the same for Scott.

"When we played in Old Firms against each other there was no banter - we want to war. When I played with him we went to war together.

"You would want him in the trenches with you and Aberdeen have landed on their feet getting Scott Brown.

"He’s been on one side of the Old Firm and one side doesn’t like him and the other love him."
KT can say as he pleases about the Scott Brown he knows. That's how he sees it. I know a few mangers who speak highly of him as an individual and excellent to work with.
But I have to disagree with KT here.
Brown went beyond professional conduct the other night and I don't think that should be defended. IMO.

He didnt get Kent sent off for winding him up, this angle implies we were at fault & even has the cheak to dis the character of our players i.e. Questioning howbig & tough our players me be. Brown, your scummy knuggle dragging mate is not big or tough.
He cheats, and has done for years,free from reproach by complicit & corrupt officials. There is no skill at the hear of his contribution & no flyness or sneakiness as its as blatant as you can get, again free from the correct repercussions he should face.

K.T, if you fancy defending us on this great but the second you go down this line defending the undefensive & leaving barbed wires on our own players in order to do so, insulting not only us the fans & I’m sure our squad would have the same disgust, then you are going down a ropey path.

Last edited:
Brown is going to do whatever to get the best result they can against us.

He isn't a very good footballer so the only thing he can do is wind our players up, drag them down to his level and get us to react.

I don't understand why people get mad at Brown. I get annoyed at our players because they fall for it way too much. Don't get involved in his nonsense and play him at football and we will make him look shit.

Scotty is his own person and gets to do what he wants to do.
Is the key phrase here.

KT has always stood up for Brown, who’s surprised.
I’d like to hear his definition of what constitutes “winding up” Elbowing, throwing himself on the ground, hounding referees etc., etc.

Can we expect Brown to behave like this in every game? No, thought not. It’s not part of his game or just the way he plays. It’s the way he plays against Rangers, and that’s it.

KT was a decent player, that’s all, barely that, a bit of a clogger really. It may escape him, that because he claims to have “done the same” doesn’t really say anything in the grand scheme of things, because Mr. KT you are not a barometer of anything and I hope no youngsters are basing themselves on your, or his, attitude to the game.

A lot of people judge people by the company they keep.
A bit of clogger is very harsh! He was a very good player that had a bit about him! he suffered badly with injuries. Without those who knows what his level was but he was a good player!

Scott Brown is not the problem,our players should be taking it in turns to brutalise him and take him out game behind the officials backs.

Anyone that played for Hivs gets KTs vote. He is a Hivs fan after all so not surprising. If he ever wants to manage here he'll probably need to do well at somewhere like Hivs first.

Brown is going to do whatever to get the best result they can against us.

He isn't a very good footballer so the only thing he can do is wind our players up, drag them down to his level and get us to react.

I don't understand why people get mad at Brown. I get annoyed at our players because they fall for it way too much. Don't get involved in his nonsense and play him at football and we will make him look shit.

As stated multiple times in this thread, I think you're missing the point here.
Kent didn't react to the antics of Hayes or Brown. He didn't retaliate or commit any offenses.
He received 2 ridiculous yellows from a referee who consistently ignored the cheating / assaults from the aforementioned pair of washed up wankers.
You'd be better having a go at the ref than our players.

These ex players pandering to that lot and their scummy players really sums this whole league up.

No issue with Brown trying to wind players up. Honestly sick of the media saying that's where Rangers players/fans have an issue.

The issue is Scott Brown cheating by diving, feigning injury and trying to tell the referee how to officiate the game.

Kevin Thompson talks some amount of keek, he really does. Watching RTV when he's commentating is hard work, takes every opportunity to big himself up about his work ethics, his drive etc.

Here's another piece where he manages to turn it round to himself again lol

He likes Kirk Broadfoot as well.
A bit too loyal to individuals is Kevin, though I still respect what he has done for Rangers.

A bit of clogger is very harsh! He was a very good player that had a bit about him! he suffered badly with injuries. Without those who knows what his level was but he was a good player!
Ok, maybe overegged that a bit, but he did put it about. He was warned by Walter to tone it down and show more responsibility. We got money back on him when he moved on, which is a positive.

we should have signed brown when we signed KT
He would have been good with us !
Went to them was pish against our normal team and would have been transferred to some championship team of that j have no doubt - our demise was his making , made only sweeter for us to turn up again and stop the tainted ten - was there for all to see - they know it we know it an Scott brown knows it too !

Can’t be arsed with that. No one hates Brown because he’s, apparently, a good player. He’s a total walloper who wouldn’t know good sportsmanship if it hit him on his baldy dome.

Personally I find his antics cringe worthy and if Tav or any Rangers captain behaved that way I’d be embarrassed, genuinely.

Love KT to bits but his love in with his bead rattling pal is embarrassing at times.
My opinion here, he will never be back at Ibrox in any serious capacity, we’ve moved beyond the “lads that can either smash an opponent or wind them up”level,
Scott Brown is an irritating prick. Bead rattler? I very much doubt that.

Scott Brown is an irritating prick. Bead rattler? I very much doubt that.

If Kevin Thomson thinks Brown's behavior on the pitch is OK I just hope he's never ever near our dugout. We have always had managers with class and respect. Thomson falls short.

Sounds as if Thomson is more loyal to Brown than Rangers.

Brown is a cheating cnt and was allowed to be the other night by a cheating cnt Clancy.

Away with that p1sh Kevin.

It’s up to the ref to deal with it not the players.

Paying lip service again

Speaking on BBC Sportsound, he said: "Anyone can knock him but the reason he’s done so well is the reason there is so much animosity towards him from other fans.

"If you’re not big enough and brave enough handle Scott Brown winding you up then that’s on you.

"He does what he does and has had a brilliant career and continues to do and if ever you wanted a chance to knock him off his pedestal then this would be it and some of them still struggle.

"It’s not the way I was or what I would do but Scotty is his own person and gets to do what he wants to do.

"You need to be big enough and hard enough to deal with it. If you can’t deal with Scott Brown winding you up then that’s your problem.

"I played with and against Scott and he’s one of my good mates – I’d go to the gutter for him any day of the week and vice versa.

"I love him to bits and I’ve had to say that in front of 500 Rangers fans in a social club before and get booed but I won’t change for anyone and it’s the same for Scott.

"When we played in Old Firms against each other there was no banter - we want to war. When I played with him we went to war together.

"You would want him in the trenches with you and Aberdeen have landed on their feet getting Scott Brown.

"He’s been on one side of the Old Firm and one side doesn’t like him and the other love him."
He is right when he says HE GETS TO DO WHAT HE WANTS TO DO..protected by his Celtic supporting referees

Thomson has fallen into the “ wind up “ trap. It’s nothing to do with winding our players up. I expect opposition players to wind us up , and we to them.
It’s his deliberate fouling ( yellow card offence ) and his feigning injury to get a fellow pro sent off. Those are just blatant cheating.

I've said it before. If Broon had signed for us, he would have spent most of the season in the stands after numerous red cards, then transferred to a low League division in England. He only had a " career " up here because he was at the Piggery. Over the top challenges, two-footed lunges were his calling card, and he got away with it for almost a decade.
He wasn’t that type of player at Hibs.

Brown is quite simply a poor footballer who masks that by being a wind up merchant.

What KT obviously doesn't take into account is that his mate wouldn't have had half the career he's had if it wasn't for us going into the lower divisions.

His mate is also an utter walloper of a man who is undoubtedly classless.

As @Jonathan E says above Rupert, he also came out in support of Porteous after our game.

He’s in danger of stopping himself from achieving his so called ambition with this stuff.
He's not really. If Thomson was ever to realise his ambition the wider support would be behind him and if successful would see his opinion on Porteous and Brown pale into insignificance.

That's reality.

If he ever becomes rangers manager it’ll because he has shown he has the capabilities to be the rangers manager.nobody will care a jot what he said about brown.

Can’t believe the panty wetting on Scott Brown. A 36 year old wind up merchant. The only blame for the other night is on ourselves - someone needs to take responsibility and put him firmly in his place ….. we can blame Clancy and co but all it took was one of our players to take him out. I’m more concerned by the fact we are too soft (again) and allow this average / most over rated player in Scotland do what he does. Where’s our leaders on the pitch?

No issue with Brown trying to wind players up. Honestly sick of the media saying that's where Rangers players/fans have an issue.

The issue is Scott Brown cheating by diving, feigning injury and trying to tell the referee how to officiate the game.
This.

I don’t think any of our players were getting wound up by him, it’s the fact he was rolling about as if he broke his ankle, gets up and waves bye bye to Kent.

Clear as day he was cheating, I don’t need to say anything about Clancy, we all know.

You just ‘went to the gutter’ for him, Kevin.

Call me petty, but this should mean Thompson isn’t asked back on Rangers TV or any official Rangers work, never mind the idea that he could manage Rangers one day. Either call out the cheat, or keep your mouth shut.

I listened to the full interview and he made it clear that his ambition is to manage at the top level and that means in Scotland that his target is to become rangers manager.that bit of the interview about brown was about a minute at the end of a longer interview.

Was this in the same interview? He should be nowhere near Rangers going forward.

Perhaps Kevin Thomson should get a gig with Aberdeen TV if there is such a thing and he can gush over his mate there instead of RTV.

Reactions: VGM
Brown is doing what’s best for his team to win last week is all on Clancy,
Brown isn’t a thug he probably has better game management than any of our squad and that’s on us because any time we sign or use a player for the role our in midfield fan’s barely take to them (Alex Rae Lee McCulloch Ian Black Joey Barton)

And guy sticks up for his mate boo bloody hoo this what has come of us not killing the game off against a pish Aberdeen team.

Scott Brown could have been a proper footballer, he had all the talent at Hibs but chose to become a thug. If he signed for us under Smith he would have been disciplined and his talent would’ve done his talking on the pitch instead of his elbows.

He’ll be remembered as the captain of the side who failed to get 10 in a row in the most advantageous circumstances ever awarded to either us or them.

%^*& him.
He's also the only player to have captained his team who twice shipped 7 goals in the one game , in European competition......

Last edited:
Back