Kevin Thomson telling Tom English what's required to be a Rangers manager

Well that's extremely unfair and ignorant.

KT set up and still runs his extremely successful academy as soon as he knew his playing career was coming to an end. He works coaching both in his academy and also for the SFA coaching mainstream schools throughout the central belt.
He's travelled all over Europe learning different coaching methods and ways, coached at our academy free of charge and done a great job in his only senior role to date. Coaching and management is his life and he puts everything into every aspect to make sure he is going to be successful.
Very good post.

I like KT. He is a football man and he is correct about managers being too nice. Someone who kicks arse is what these under performing players need.

I do like KT and far be it from me to come across as siding with Tom English over him, but Thomson is spouting some shite there. Yes, Walter would've been able to take the job without having any real concerns about budget, but that's really where that stops. Any modern manager worth a shit is going to want to know what tools they have to get the job done.

It came across as KT just putting himself out there for attention from Rangers... "I wouldnae be afraid of Ange... I would be drilling it intae the players... it's no' aboot budget...!"

Why are you trying to put him down and discredit him because of the way he speaks?

I respect Thomson as a player but don’t get the fawning over him as a coach. Arguably Barry Ferguson has done more in his coaching career, is a no-nonsense type and much more of a “name” in Scottish football, steeped in Rangers etc but his name is always laughed at when mentioned.

I wouldn’t want either but just flagging the inconsistency
You think so? There is a reason why Ferguson has never been anywhere near Rangers training ground in a coaching role.

We've disregarded that attitude for too long. Thomson is spot on.

We've developed a snobyness towards Scottish players and coaches. We've always had them in all our successful teams.

Maybe the lack of people inside the building with Thommo's attitude is why we only have 2 trophies in the last 6 years?
Played a good game as well, consistently.
Have to agree to disagree on that one. We’ve all got our favourites. For me Thommo was a kid on hard man who often went missing when the going got really tough.

I don’t get the dislike for Thomson on here, well I’m lying and get it’s mainly down to who he’s mates with

Does nothing but speak positively about us
He’s very pro Rangers when on Gers TV…different story when he’s on mainstream. Being injured and unable to attend Ajax game, I had the misfortune to have to listen to him joining in with the mocking of our players in their defeat to Ajax (as many others on here noted at the time). I measure ex players in that position against how I believe Sandy Jardine would have behaved in the same circumstances…and Kevin let himself and our club down by joining in with the cheap shots that night. Very poor show which didn’t surprise me to be honest.

Why are you trying to put him down and discredit him because of the way he speaks?
Discredit him? Naw. It was a direct quote... should I have converted it to the Queen's English? (King's English now, I suppose.)

As I said, I'm no hater of KT but he was spouting shite in my opinion, so I called him out for it. That ok?

I really don’t see what people see in Thomson. I also don’t understand when people say we need a Scottish coach in the background that knows the Scottish game. Why? The rest in the Scottish league should be treated for what they are. It doesn’t take a Scottish coach to do that.
Gio showed them too much respect. It’s as simple as that in my opinion.
These next appointments need to be right. We can’t go further behind that lot for years to come.
Do we trust the board? Well there’s plenty of threads on them.
I’m thinking the same thing - He’s talking like a football fan which unfortunately is not the real world. Any credible potential manager will 100% take a look at our squad profile and want assurances that resources are there and the will exists at board level to put it right. If they aren’t Interested in such assurances then they will 100% fail as they too are unlikely to be living in the real world

He’s very pro Rangers when on Gers TV…different story when he’s on mainstream. Being injured and unable to attend Ajax game, I had the misfortune to have to listen to him joining in with the mocking of our players in their defeat to Ajax (as many others on here noted at the time). I measure ex players in that position against how I believe Sandy Jardine would have behaved in the same circumstances…and Kevin let himself and our club down by joining in with the cheap shots that night. Very poor show which didn’t surprise me to be honest.
Can't remember that, and who was he joining in with anyway?

We’d just been pumped, what did you want him to say? I guarantee there was worse said on here by lifelong fans

KT has played for us and TE is a rugby reporter who got a job in our country because of who his employers are. TE knows %^*& all in comparison to KT

I just listened to the podcast and KT is bang on the money

He doesn't dismiss budgets as some have alluded to and which TE was too thick to understand

He talks of the importance of getting the best of the players there giving them the belief and confidence and being brave and having hunger. ALL the things this forum said we were lacking under Gio.

He made comparison to Walter and how he got the best out of players and had little money to spend. That should always be our benchmark

I remember after Caixinha the media and unintelligent said we would need £100m to catch them, we'll we didn't need that at all, we recruited well and had a hungry young manager who built us up from losing to Progres to an unbeaten 55

Im confused as to why folk are obsessed with budgets, its about clever recruitment

Heavily linked with a return along side Beale.

I liked the way he was talking about us and think we need to have the right assistants with Beale.

Have to agree to disagree on that one. We’ve all got our favourites. For me Thommo was a kid on hard man who often went missing when the going got really tough.

One thing he always says, he was not a hardman. He was a tough tackler and made rash decisions at times but he didnt act like the twat that went across the city.

He is right, of course a manager needs a budget of sorts, but if your focus is to manage Rangers that will come first.

If Beale is to be the manager, I wouldnt be adverse to Thomson being in the back room staff.

Listened to that podcast and while I’m no fan of English I thought KT embarrassed himself quite frankly with some of his comments particularly the drivel that any manager candidate wanting to know about budgets at an interview is not suited to be a manager for us…..complete and utter nonsense. He was also repeating ad nauseam his comments without engaging his brain in the discussions with English.

I wasn’t on the “KT for captain” bus, a poor mans Stuart McCall, and I’m certainly not on the “KT to be a coach”.
The guy puts me to sleep on RTV, and comes out with the same old stuff every time. Walter was the master, but you have to go beyond that, there is more to coaching than “we used to do this, and I always did this.” I wouldn’t be against having a Scottish influence, but not KT.
Also says I know him personally a lot. :))

Sadly he was a lad who killed his own career through the need to run through brick walls rather than just play the game. But that attitude if coached well into kids is exactly what we need right now. There are not enough prepared to stick their boot in from time to time. I know he left to chase a management opportunity but I'd see him back in a coaching role.

Sadly he was a lad who killed his own career through the need to run through brick walls rather than just play the game. But that attitude if coached well into kids is exactly what we need right now. There are not enough prepared to stick their boot in from time to time. I know he left to chase a management opportunity but I'd see him back in a coaching role.
The most boring guy on television. Has he ever made an interesting point whilst on Rangers TV?
States the bloody obvious every time he speaks.

KT is also in the paper today telling everyone how alarms bells were ringing for him when Gio did not take the cup game against Hibs when we lost 3-1 but sat in the stand instead…completely ignoring the fact that Gio was not contractually permitted to be in the dugout for that game
He didn't have a work permit

One thing he always says, he was not a hardman. He was a tough tackler and made rash decisions at times but he didnt act like the twat that went across the city.

He is right, of course a manager needs a budget of sorts, but if your focus is to manage Rangers that will come first.

If Beale is to be the manager, I wouldnt be adverse to Thomson being in the back room staff.
Be boring if we all agreed. I note Lee Wallace has now been mentioned in despatches as potential sidekick.

Amazing how some will entertain the opinions of former players like Boyd, Miller, Ferguson, Halliday et al, but criticise Thomson, who - as far as I am aware - has always spoken well of the club, and talks frequently and accurately about what it means to play for Rangers and the standards expected.
I agree with you in what you say.

However, when he could stand up for Broon after his antics at Pittodrie back in January against Rangers then all bets are off.

He said numerous times during it that recruitment is key. I think he’s merely pointing out what mentality he deems essential to be at us, and for what it’s worth, he’s bang on imo.

Sounded to me that he was hinting, without being to disrespectful to those involved that the current problems aren’t based on budget. I took from it that he thinks it’s bad recruitment, poor man management and weak mentality.

English is f*cking clueless.
Am taking that also and ive not even listen to it.
All they points are 100% what’s wrong with this rangers team.

Back