Kevin Trapp and Looking Towards Our Future Goalie

Alfie_WATP

Reflecting on the game from last night, have to say their goalie Trapp was very impressive.

Made big saves and for me was the difference between the two sides. Good with his feet and commanded his box.

You need a top class goalie to win leagues and cups.

Rumours have been around the last week or so from various media sources (mainly online) that McGregor might sign a new deal. For me this would be a disaster. We really need to part ways in order to move the position into the modern era.

Reflecting on the game from last night, have to say their goalie Trapp was very impressive.

Made big saves and for me was the difference between the two sides. Good with his feet and commanded his box.

Rumours have been around the last week or so from various media sources (mainly online) that McGregor might sign a new deal. For me this would be a disaster. We really need to part ways in order to move the position into the modern era.
I agree. I love McGregor and he’s a bona fide club legend.

But his keeping style doesn’t fit with how we want to play and we need a keeper who can command a box and play out from the back.

Big John is the better option going forward but I do believe we can do better than him too

I thought it was telling that he made Tav’s free kick look easy - his positioning was excellent for it, and lesser keepers might not have had a chance. A very fine keeper.

He has played for PSG and Germany.

he's a solid keeper.
Yeah, a top pedigree and Frankfurt, to be honest, are lucky to have him.

Does highlight importance of a top goalie though. You need one to win shiny things. It’s been the difference in the league and in this isolated game, split the teams too.

We need to move on from McGregor and move towards a keeper who fits with the way modern football is played.

Thanks Allan for your service, you've been magnificent.

Be very surprised if Greegs stays around personally.

I won’t criticise him because he’s been a huge part of our successes in his time, but time comes for everything and it makes sense.

Sentimentality will get us nowhere.

I love McGregor. I think, in terms of length of service and longevity, he's the greatest goalkeeper I've seen for us but he cannot be our keeper next season. This season(and last) highlights the difference a top class keeper makes. McGregor won us points last season and lost us them this season.

McLaughlin is more than capable but if we can get better than him this summer then we have to get them.

As Souness said - don't lose goals and you won't lose matches.

Not sure on Trapp, only seen him play last night.

FWIW, looked poor at Aribo’s goal.

I’d hope that’s McGregor’s last game. Retire a legend.

We need to move on from McGregor and move towards a keeper who fits with the way modern football is played.

Thanks Allan for your service, you've been magnificent.
Agreed. His kicking is below par. He’s old and I feel at times he’s too far of his line.

T be honest I think we can get a better keeper than McLaughlin

I'd love to see McLaughlin get a chance but he's in his mid-30s. We need to get a keeper who'll be with us for the long term.

McLaughlin possibly buys us next season if we're wanting money spent elsewhere on the team but eventually we will need a long term keeper in place.

I wonder if Sam Johnstone fancies it rather than sitting on an EPL bench next season.

McGregor is a true blue hero and legend but for me the time has come for him to pass on the jersey. Who to though, McLaughlin, Siegrist - who else is a favourite? Key position needs a top performer but realistically has to be within our budget and that remains a huge issue.

McLaughlin possibly buys us next season if we're wanting money spent elsewhere on the team but eventually we will need a long term keeper in place.

I wonder if Sam Johnstone fancies it rather than sitting on an EPL bench next season.
Agree, McLaughlin is solid and dependable and he gives us a stop-gap solution for a season.

We are restricted in Scotland

Our max is say 20k a week guys like Trapp must be on what 100k ?

We are restricted in Scotland

Our max is say 20k a week guys like Trapp must be on what 100k ?

Our max is probably closer to 35k, but your point still stands, players like Trapp will probably be out of our market unless we pick them up at a very young age.

I see Trapp was also the official man of the match last night.
should have been Bassey who didn't deserve to be on the losing side

personally I thought Trapp looked nervous but we never worked him enough, the save he made from Kent was nothing to do with position, he just got lucky and that's not me being sour because we lost, it's simply true

I'd rather see us strengthen up front than worry about our goalkeeper. It would have been interesting to see how Trapp coped with a decent forward. I'm currently torturing myself with the thought that Morelos could have finished the Kent chance, if he were available.

For the record, I think McLaughlin will do fine next season.

Trapp is a good keeper and an upgrade on McGregor.

He'll be on too much dosh for us I'd expect, he's came from PSG to them.

If McGregor starts as #1 next year I'd be questioning our gaffer's sanity. It's beginning to grate on me that he fails to command his box.

We have done amazingly well etc and so on but McGregor is a tactical hand break to us TBH

The effort from distance that he ended up having to tip over the bar was, another in a list of moments this season that was watched thinking, what the actual f*ck are you doing and why aren't you coming for it.

His use of the ball, I mean I just can't get why we lean on it as often as we do

We have done amazingly well etc and so on but McGregor is a tactical hand break to us TBH

The effort from distance that he ended up having to tip over the bar was, another in a list of moments this season that was watched thinking, what the actual f*ck are you doing and why aren't you coming for it.

His use of the ball, I mean I just can't get why we lean on it as often as we do
Totally agree

Not surprised at that. These clubs, despite their position in their own leagues, consistently earn more than double our best years revenue.
I guess so , even more reason to celebrate our achievement in this year’s competition

I heard a rumour a month or so ago that we were signing a German keeper who has been playing in Portugal.
I have absolutely no idea if it’s true but I think it would be harsh on Macglaughlin. He’s in his 30’s and keepers are at their best around that age.
He hasn’t let us down and I would like to see him get a chance as first choice unless a real quality keeper can be brought in.

There were a lot of eyebrows raised when Rode was made captain ahead of him last year. He's pretty much the de facto leader of the side even if he doesn't wear the armband.

Said before that as much as he's capable of moments of madness, he also has a superhuman performance in him. Seems to play better on the big stage. I had a feeling he'd have a good game last night.

I thought he was good, but if he was a bit quicker down, he is saving Aribo's shot for the goal.

They didn't show a lot of replays, but IMO it was saveable as Joe hadn't placed it too far away from the keeper.

It is time for McGregor to retire, he’s dropped levels this season that is purely down to age catching up.

Just a shame it couldn’t have ended with a penalty save to win the cup.

Back