Kick off times in the old days before floodlights

Farley1968

What were the kickoff times back in the day (pre-1950's) before floodlights were fitted? With the dark & gloomy Glasgow evenings did games kick off at 2pm or earlier to enable them to be finished before dark? many programmes don't include the kickoff time.

vintage-invalid-carriage-CC375W.jpg

270px-AC_Invacar_model_57_%28NPB_860D%29.jpg

1976-ac-model-70-invalid-carriage-A9C0FA.jpg

What were the kickoff times back in the day (pre-1950's) before floodlights were fitted? With the dark & gloomy Glasgow evenings did games kick off at 2pm or earlier to enable them to be finished before dark? many programmes don't include the kickoff time.
I think you are right. Half time was no more than 10 minutes when I first started going to Ibrox in the early 1960’s so, pre 1950’s, winter games were probably finished around 3.45pm

Probably just the same time as they use in the Juniours now. Although in saying that, my local club have just invested in some flood lights so that will change things here.

I remember the miners strike in 70s when it had midweek afternoon kick offs. I took a half day to see my pal play for Hibs reserves v Motherwell reserves at Fir Park.

Remember being at a cup game v Kilmarnock on a horrible wet day and best entertainment was watching the "wee blue cars" struggling to get through the quagmire of the old track surrounding the pitch.

During the miners strike ko was 2:00. Rangers hired a generator and then the rules were changed to say clubs could only use one if they had it before the restrictions.

Great replies - many thanks - I guess this was advertised in the press as it wasn't always on the programme.

I think the game they scumbags love to mention kicked off at 2:45pm in October, the Moscow Dynamo game kicked off at the same time in 45

Back