Kids football - cost to play these days?

kensington blue nose

It's been a while since I played boys club football but I remember back in the day it was a small joining fee, maybe £20, and then a couple of quid a week?

KBN Jnr is 6 and starting to get into his footy and he plays "recreational" games once/twice a week... it isn't anything special, in fact I coach their team and am far from a real coach as you could get!! Its $90 for a three month session with about a dozen games and a few practices thrown in as well.

I don't think that is bad.

However, he's turning out to be a decent little player so I was looking into the possibility of him joining a proper "club team" and he had a run out for a potential team on Sunday morning... friend of mine who helped set it up told me for the "year (spring and autumn games/practices) it is $1,019!!

Am I just being a stereo-typical Scot and being tight and is this what it costs these days for a kid to play footy or is this way over the top? It seems that teams over here (USA) are run by someone more interested in making a profit.

My kids are in the local boys and girls team, £5 between the two of them per week. I think the coach who runs it should charge a bit more as it costs the club about £300 to rent local council pitches for the kids to train on, the clubs don't have much money to buy strips etc

My boy is £25 a month and that covers 2 x 90min training sessions a week, the match on a Sunday, and training, home and away kits. He plays in the Lanarkshire Football Development League with Strathaven Dynamo.

I guess it is just a US thing versus a UK thing.
This one team had a $300 "jersey" supplement for the kit. $300 for a bloody strip? You could probably get a whole team strip for that much.

You pay to play football now. Ffs.

I remember doing the whole round when i was younger from Dennistoun Waverley to Possil YM and only paid for a menial football card to get us transport.

We brought in cash by football cards etc.

Is that what kids have to do now?

Just mental.

£40 joining fee and £25 a month for my son's team. Covers 2x90 min training sessions a week, Sunday matches, and kit. Previous club was about the same, must be pretty standard for SERYFA teams.

I pay £25 a month for my son which I think is very reasonable. He trains 2 hours on a Tuesday, 2 hours on a Friday and a game on a Sunday. They've went 11 a side so costs are higher.

My boy is £40 a month,2 nights training and a game at the weekend.
That's 11 side football.

£20 registration and then £130 for the year. That's for a training session and then all his games, tournaments, strips, training gear etc. They have hardly stopped this year so it is more or less about £3 a week.

£25 a month for our team, 2 nights training and matches on a Sunday morning for boys playing 7 a side, various tournaments over the year, 3 kits, tracksuit, rain jacket and boot bag....reasonable but we do as much as we can fundraising to make it up....we ask the parents to get a football card filled in when their boy first joins the team, covers the cost of some of the gear, that way the money isn't coming out their pocket

My lad has been part of the broxburn set up since he was 4 years old, soccer school was £3 per week then when he turned 5 and it went to soccer 4s it was £25 pm and has remained the same for the last 6 years.

My boys £30 per month. That's two hours training twice a week on astro, Game on Sat, ref fees and kit. They've just moved to 11's starting last month so, I think it'll need to be £40 per month going ahead.

£7/week for the wee man's team gets him 2hours training on a Thursday plus their game on a Saturday morning. Was £25 for the strip and couple of quid on the predictor sheet. The team get days out all paid for from the money so not too bad.

My boys team is £35 a month for 10 months (don't pay over Jul/Aug) 2 x training sessions a week , 11 a side game on the Saturday. They have a race night/medal presentation at the end of the season to raise funds for new strips/training kit etc for next available season

Back