Kids football teams

TommyEgan

Are there any teams in/around Cowglen/Pollock/Shawlands for 2011 players?

My sons school team has just disbanded as the coach has quit. Looking for a team for him to join to replace his football fix. ideally something where the level isn't too high - as he's god awful at football :D (tries his best, runs his socks off but simply has hee haw natural ability - very eager to learn/improve though)

If you have twitter or facebook mate follow the SYFA recruitment on FB and the scottish youth FA on twitter they advertise teams wanting players or you can put a player seeking team advert with them and they post it for teams to see and reply

If you have twitter or facebook mate follow the SYFA recruitment on FB and the scottish youth FA on twitter they advertise teams wanting players or you can put a player seeking team advert with them and they post it for teams to see and reply
Cheers, will check this out on facebook!

Are there any teams in/around Cowglen/Pollock/Shawlands for 2011 players?

My sons school team has just disbanded as the coach has quit. Looking for a team for him to join to replace his football fix. ideally something where the level isn't too high - as he's god awful at football :D (tries his best, runs his socks off but simply has hee haw natural ability - very eager to learn/improve though)

As long as he enjoys it mate that's main thing.

Sounding like an old guy here but "keeps them away from the Playstation" :)

also check out pollok United football academy they have a load of teams try and enquire

also check out pollok United football academy they have a load of teams try and enquire
Just registered, cheers!

Just registered, cheers!
Good luck with the wee man im sure with some proper coaching he will develop with time ,been coaching youth football for yrs and seen loads of young kids who didnt look like they had ability but with coaching the basics and over the years a lot have turned into great wee players ,doesnt sound like his attitude is in question and he’s enthusiastic so im sure he will do well

As long as he enjoys it mate that's main thing.

Sounding like an old guy here but "keeps them away from the Playstation" :)
Aye thats exactly it mate.

He's been doing it since he was 2 tbh, he's always really enjoyed it. Started off with one of those wee sorta personal coaching type things where the coach just does general training with the kids. Grew out of that and as soon as applications opened for his school team he got in there. He's been playing against P7s so i'm maybe being harsh as the kids he's against are all 3/4 years older than him and he's also a short arse like his dad, so again they are monsters compared to him. Never gives up though.

Interesting thread. I was going to start a similar one myself but can just tack the question on here.

My youngest is in P1 and has been doing mini kickers at the local leisure centre since he was 3 or so. It's been good for him.

Managed to get him a spot in the local youth team when they started school in the summer too. They've been doing training since August on a Monday night (on the school pitch until the clocks went back and now indoor) ahead of starting playing four-a-side on a Saturday morning next month

This is my first experience (since I was four myself and that wasn't recently) of watching any sort of kids coaching.

What I find on the Monday night is that things can be a bit lawless in terms the boys running about when they're doing various exercies / drills. There's a fair bit of clowning around from a few of them (and one clearly has "issues" - I do wonder about whether it's a good place for him or not but his parents are certainly persisting with him going and I can see that being a separate issue at some point in the future given a couple of comments. )

On the balance of that, I realise they're 5 and 6 years old.

I thought it would be far more of a organised set up. I understand the mini kickers at the leisure centre is more of a case of simply getting them out and exercising but with this being an proper team, I thought there would be a more "professional" arrangement.

I'm not wanting the boys running up Gullane sands or feeling like they're in a boot camp but I can see my boy being frustrated at some of the arsing around that's going on.

Is it the case the coaches simply aren't allowed to shout at kids to keep them in line these days or is the attitude that they're better just doing their own thing and enjoying it all despite it being a proper team? I don't think they're too young to be told to pay attention for their benefit.

I wonder if it will change when the proper games start on a Saturday morning and they're playing competitively.

Like I say, I haven't seen anything else to compare so it might just be the norm...

Interesting thread. I was going to start a similar one myself but can just tack the question on here.

My youngest is in P1 and has been doing mini kickers at the local leisure centre since he was 3 or so. It's been good for him.

Managed to get him a spot in the local youth team when they started school in the summer too. They've been doing training since August on a Monday night (on the school pitch until the clocks went back and now indoor) ahead of starting playing four-a-side on a Saturday morning next month

This is my first experience (since I was four myself and that wasn't recently) of watching any sort of kids coaching.

What I find on the Monday night is that things can be a bit lawless in terms the boys running about when they're doing various exercies / drills. There's a fair bit of clowning around from a few of them (and one clearly has "issues" - I do wonder about whether it's a good place for him or not but his parents are certainly persisting with him going and I can see that being a separate issue at some point in the future given a couple of comments. )

I thought it would be far more of a organised set up. I understand the mini kickers at the leisure centre is more of a case of simply getting them out and exercising but with this being an proper team, I thought there would be a more "professional" arrangement.

I'm not wanting the boys running up Gullane sands or feeling like they're in a boot camp but I can see my boy being frustrated at some of the arsing around that's going on.

Is it the case the coaches simply aren't allowed to shout at kids to keep them in line these days or is the attitude that they're better just doing their own thing and enjoying it all despite it being a proper team? I don't think they're too young to be told to pay attention for their benefit.

I wonder if it will change when the proper games start on a Saturday morning and they're playing competitively.

Like I say, I haven't seen anything else to compare so it might just be the norm...
Very similar to what my son started with. He persisted with doing that type of environment for years as we had no other options - his school team only accepted P2s and up for the team - then when he was in P2 it moved to P3s and up and so. Finally gets into the team this year in P4 for the coach to then quit half way through the year (after cancelling all the matches in December, too).

I would say the mini kickers environment is meant to be a relaxed and easy going type and not taken too seriously, frustrating for kids that are looking to really improve their game as opposed to just having fun kicking it about - I accept there has to be balance and kids have to enjoy it, but some of these things seem like a waste of time and money as there isn't any improvement in the kids ability as there is no real focus on any particular learning.

The coach we had was actually a pretty good guy (good Rangers man) and did 1 on 1 sessions with kids too, at a nice price, but you noticed the difference in those using that service so clearly he knew what he was doing, but simply didnt have the ability to deliver that same service to the Group as a whole for some reason.

Just to get it clear 4v4 is NOT competitive football it’s fun fours where as you will be aware they learn a bit more of the game.

Just to get it clear 4v4 is NOT competitive football it’s fun fours where as you will be aware they learn a bit more of the game.

Cheers. Aye, competitive was the wrong word. "Organised" games would have been a better way of putting it rather than what they do on a Monday night just now. Depending on numbers of boys and whether it's two or three coaches each week, they sometimes play 5 a side and other times it's 4s

I'm assuming the play against other teams at this point though. Fun Fours was the name mentioned but I figured, given they're going up to play at a neutral venue and it's not at the school, there's other teams involved?

Cheers. Aye, competitive was the wrong word. "Organised" games would have been a better way of putting it rather than what they do on a Monday night just now. Depending on numbers of boys and whether it's two or three coaches each week, they sometimes play 5 a side and other times it's 4s

I'm assuming the play against other teams at this point though. Fun Fours was the name mentioned but I figured, given they're going up to play at a neutral venue and it's not at the school, there's other teams involved?
Yes fun 4s is against other teams and its more of a game feeling rather than loads of kids just running around chasing a ball

Very similar to what my son started with. He persisted with doing that type of environment for years as we had no other options - his school team only accepted P2s and up for the team - then when he was in P2 it moved to P3s and up and so. Finally gets into the team this year in P4 for the coach to then quit half way through the year (after cancelling all the matches in December, too).

I would say the mini kickers environment is meant to be a relaxed and easy going type and not taken too seriously, frustrating for kids that are looking to really improve their game as opposed to just having fun kicking it about - I accept there has to be balance and kids have to enjoy it, but some of these things seem like a waste of time and money as there isn't any improvement in the kids ability as there is no real focus on any particular learning.

The coach we had was actually a pretty good guy (good Rangers man) and did 1 on 1 sessions with kids too, at a nice price, but you noticed the difference in those using that service so clearly he knew what he was doing, but simply didnt have the ability to deliver that same service to the Group as a whole for some reason.

His mini kickers thing has just reached the end of a block and we were considering not bothering with it again - as it's another day when they're already doing something almost every night between music lessons, football, swimming, dancing and horse riding between him and his sister - but given he's playing against older boys at that (it's P1 - P3 at the leisure centre) I think it's probably really good for him despite being the more relaxed idea as you say.

The coaching has been good in terms of being able to see them come in even in 6 or 7 months and I notice it with him in the garden now in terms of what he's doing as well.

There's absolutely one or two parents there though who have their kids at football either for the prestige of being at the Youth Team or simply to get them out the house so they can stand nattering to another mum for an hour.

It's really harsh on that specific boy I mentioned as he's not going to ever play football in a school XIs team let alone the likes of a "proper" organisation like this. I don't think his mum is doing him any good putting him in the environment but it's their choice. I reckon / hope it'll sort itself out when the Fun Fours start and things go beyond wandering about the gym hall in a daze not doing anything the other kids are doing.

I'm guessing they just, at this age, make it all about being fun for starters and learning comes as part of it all.

It might be an idea to look out the 1 on 1 stuff if he's keen to do it instead of the older Mini Kickers group right enough.

My mate's kid does similar in Renfrewshire with a guy who is really good too.

Cheers for the input.

His mini kickers thing has just reached the end of a block and we were considering not bothering with it again - as it's another day when they're already doing something almost every night between music lessons, football, swimming, dancing and horse riding between him and his sister - but given he's playing against older boys at that (it's P1 - P3 at the leisure centre) I think it's probably really good for him despite being the more relaxed idea as you say.

The coaching has been good in terms of being able to see them come in even in 6 or 7 months and I notice it with him in the garden now in terms of what he's doing as well.

There's absolutely one or two parents there though who have their kids at football either for the prestige of being at the Youth Team or simply to get them out the house so they can stand nattering to another mum for an hour.

It's really harsh on that specific boy I mentioned as he's not going to ever play football in a school XIs team let alone the likes of a "proper" organisation like this. I don't think his mum is doing him any good putting him in the environment but it's their choice. I reckon / hope it'll sort itself out when the Fun Fours start and things go beyond wandering about the gym hall in a daze not doing anything the other kids are doing.

I'm guessing they just, at this age, make it all about being fun for starters and learning comes as part of it all.

It might be an idea to look out the 1 on 1 stuff if he's keen to do it instead of the older Mini Kickers group right enough.

Cheers for the input.

Cheers for the input.
Get your boy into a local team mate a lot of local clubs do mini kickers and fun four teams and your boy will progress through the age groups and into 7s then 9s then proper 11s

Get your boy into a local team mate a lot of local clubs do mini kickers and fun four teams and your boy will progress through the age groups and into 7s then 9s then proper 11s

Aye, he's in the local youth team too mate. That's the place I was saying I was surprised it wasn't a little more drilled. They're maybe just that young just now that it'll come in a year or so when it all clicks.

Aye mate they’ll play other teams from the local area. When I took the boys team at that level, it would be at greenwood and there were maybe 5/6 different local teams all playing each other. Teams just moved around to play different opposition each game. Good luck to the wee fella

Aye mate they’ll play other teams from the local area. When I took the boys team at that level, it would be at greenwood and there were maybe 5/6 different local teams all playing each other. Teams just moved around to play different opposition each game. Good luck to the wee fella

Sounds good. I'm sure, when it becomes organised like that too, there'll be a jump in their understanding as well.

Its brilliant just now, it's nearly all he talks about along with wanting various pictures printed out for his wall.

Deffo caught the bug.

Pollok SA and Hillwood are both great clubs with a really good structure behind them. They both also have their own training facility too.
Another option if you need it is Harmony Row, down at the Ikea end of Braehead.

Back