Kieran Maguire measures the Prawn Sandwich Brigade

I was at Villa Park yesterday and we got over there, dropped into the Family Area with the boys and they were messing around kicking footballs at stuff for 20 mins.

Then we went into the ground about half an hour before KO and a couple of sausage rolls (and it was like a big sausage with some pastry round it) and a bottle of Coke was about £12.
No pint this time as I’m still off it since New Year but they do a lovely Pale Ale from Purity Brewery - normally I’d have one before the game, maybe one at halftime for the novelty.. that would add £11 or £12.

Villa do it all pretty well to be fair - usually a decent size of crowd when I’ve had a ticket but you never feel that you are waiting forever to get served or in/out of the stadium. The Family Zone is great as well - indoors where I believe their academy train and it’s all enclosed and safe to let kids run around a bit.

NEH has got my spending before & after a match now when I get to Ibrox and if Rangers can build on that and give fans a few options of spending money and it being club income then all the better.

Our catering selection, prices & quality all need reviewed and improved though. Offer people better stuff at reasonable price and they tend to buy more of it.

Edit:
Something I have noticed is that there are fewer pubs in a few minute walk of Villa Park than you see around Ibrox, and the options there are tend to be club operated. The sale of alcohol inside the stadium is also great enabler at getting folk in the door and spending money.

Last edited:
No surprise Spurs at the top given the options on offer at that stadium
Spurs’ Stadium is a textbook example of prizing your money out of your hand.

There will be a lot of the tourist market making that £71 happen.. but if you can generate that on average across a season for a 60-odd thousand seater stadium (and bear in mind the cost of boxes and the posh seats) then it generates an utter fortune.

I'm guessing hospitality, executive boxes, club shops within the stadium, parking charges and obviously all the food outlets with beers all add up but it does seem excessive
Thats what i think. The top end hospitality will be sky high prices and really lift the average. Ill bet the stadium has a higher percentage of premium/ hospitality seats than the other big grounds as well.

Who's spending £71 at the football? That doesn't seem true to me. They buying king Crab salads or something.

Thats what i think. The top end hospitality will be sky high prices and really lift the average. Ill bet the stadium has a higher percentage of premium/ hospitality seats than the other big grounds as well.
I did the tour last year - it is everything you say.

The premium seats are amazing, have an amazing price tag, and they seem to have sold most of them.
They are able to market the stadium as a tourist attraction with the walk on the roof and then the tour itself. Whether it’s Tottenham, the stadium or the EPL as the draw for people, they flock to it.

The tour I did was packed with Koreans looking to get picture of Son’s shirt in the dressing room and buy stuff with his name on it in the shop. The value of big name players is immense.

Spurs are amazing at squeezing out every pound they can from you.

Who's spending £71 at the football? That doesn't seem true to me. They buying king Crab salads or something.

A program, 2 beers and 2 burgers is probably £50 to start.

This will include your tourist contingent who then buy all the other pish averages out here a season.

Food would have to be extortionate for those at the top end there. Not what we want to be doing to average fans at Ibrox.

Improve the quality, wait times and general customer service and the revenue will increase.

Big earners down to tourists I’d imagine. The rest are probably more realistic, pie and a couple of pints.

This. The same thought about tourists went through my mind yesterday when I learned that the new stand extension had fully opened at Anfield on Saturday for Liverpool's game v Burnley. My older brother lives in the Merseyside area and he told me when they were building it that it would be full of 'tourist fans'.

If Rangers start selling them kebab pies in the Copland like they do the Govan,I’ll buy a barrowload!:))

This. The same thought about tourists went through my mind yesterday when I learned that the new stand extension had fully opened at Anfield on Saturday for Liverpool's game v Burnley. My older brother lives in the Merseyside area and he told me when they were building it that it would be full of 'tourist fans'.
I remember Chelsea fans talking about the “backpackers” in the late 90s/early 00s.
Mostly Italian tourists coming to see Vialli, Zola, Di Matteo etc.

It has just grown arms & legs since.

Will always be a potential source of irritation with the traditional fanbase, but football is a business these days and a revolving door of fans coming for a once in a lifetime visit where they spend a fortune on ticket, merchandise, food & drink each game is what the money men seek.

The Spurs average must be massively boosted by all the hospitality packages and suites they can offer.

Several of their lounges look huge and must run fairly cheaply with buffet style meals and such.

The alcohol ban really hurts the finances of the Scottish clubs.
The alcohol ban that doesn’t apply to Corporate Hospitality,it makes no sense Supporters are still getting tanked up before the match.The alcohol ban was brought in after the Hampden riot in 1980 that was another lifetime ago compared to todays game,it was more to stop booze being brought into the game’s,sadly with these cretins up here increasing the Alcohol prices things ain’t going to change.

The Spurs average must be massively boosted by all the hospitality packages and suites they can offer.

Several of their lounges look huge and must run fairly cheaply with buffet style meals and such.
was I dreaming or did I see under the spurs stadium there is a go cart racing track ?

Given the slating Man City get in general, it’s interesting to see how far behind in that table they are from the big London clubs, Man Utd and even Liverpool (who like to portray themselves as the people’s club).

That spurs figure does seem a bit far fetched £70 pp based on 62000 would be £4.3m a game

Got to say I haven’t been to the new stadium but that does seem a really high number.

I read somewhere that a pint at Spurs only costs £5.20 which seems incredibly cheap, for London let alone inside a football ground.

Folk should note that the high end hospitality packages at the likes of Spurs will be costing thousands per match in some cases - and they will have a high percentage of hospitality offerings; it’s where the money is made after all.

That skews the average spend per fan massively. Which 7s, I think, the whole thrust of Maguire’s point.

Last edited:
Spurs’ Stadium is a textbook example of prizing your money out of your hand.

There will be a lot of the tourist market making that £71 happen.. but if you can generate that on average across a season for a 60-odd thousand seater stadium (and bear in mind the cost of boxes and the posh seats) then it generates an utter fortune.

whether its tourists or not, they are still making that money because the stadium is outstanding and with many options of bars, restaurants etc throughout. They are making good use of it. Making 4.5m revenue per home match out with ticket sales is outstanding.

We are pretty limited in what we can do in my opinion, one because of the ban on alcohol in the stadium and it would take a massive stadium revamp to modernise it. I think NEH and the new bar goes partly someway to bringing in more revenue.

Was Prawn Sandwich brigade used as a term in football before Roy Keane said it? That’s the first time I’d heard it.

That's match income so it includes the price of your ticket. Just shows the price of tickets for the tourist teams.

We live in a backwards country that doesn't allow the sale of alcohol at football matches means we'll always be hamstrung when it comes to match day revenue

These big spenders get priority for Cup Finals etc.
I suppose if I was spending tens of thousands every year I'd expect a bit of favouritism as well.
Tough on the punters though.

People need to understand how averages work. No, the 'average' Spurs fan isn't spending £71 at the game.

The new Spurs stadium has 8,000 premium seats, some of them costing £15,000 per season

Many of the types that sit in those seats think nothing of spending £500+ at the game every other Saturday. This is bringing up the average figure.

Proper hospitality brings in a fortune outwith the ‘regular’ fan spend

That’s where the big clubs win hand over fist

For the size of our stadium, we should be aiming for at least 5% of the stadium to have hospitality

We need to use the Albion Car Park, our similar, to create fan villages with hospitality tents, pop up food trucks for those only visiting and merchandise stalls

They do it very well at motorsport and rugby

Hopefully the new sports bar at Ibrox will be showing away games on screen , european away games and other football , wouldnt mind the short subway ride to watch a game and a few pints and some food if the money is going to the club

Hopefully the new sports bar at Ibrox will be showing away games on screen , european away games and other football , wouldnt mind the short subway ride to watch a game and a few pints and some food if the money is going to the club
NEH already does that.

In the early 90's I use to go into London to watch Rangers and go in by train with Spurs and Chelsea fans. The prices especially at Tottenham for White Hart Lane were extortionate even in those days.

Being able to buy a drink in Ibrox pre game would net the club a fortune, me and my mates all spend a fair bit at each home game.

Back