Kiev 87 is dead, God Save the King

For sheer noise, I think some OF games have been louder (1-0 Ryan Jack winner for example) but the European nights are better overall and Thursday is one of those nights we'll be taking about for years and years.

Thursday night will be talked about forever, it really was that good. Add in the fact we can revisit endlessly the excellent BT coverage, with Rory Hamilton's magnificent commentary, will only add weight to Thursday night being something a good bit more than a very, very special night, the type that comes along only a few times in each lifetime.

Last edited:
Thursday night will be talked about forever, it really was that good. Add in the fact we can revisit endlessly the excellent BT coverage, with Rory Hamilton's magnificent commentary, will only add weight to Thursday night being something a good bit more than a very, very special night, the type that comes along only on a few times in each lifetime.
This.

Thursday for me was the best atmosphere I've experienced in over 50 years.It was like a rollercoaster.The scenes at the end were just the best.
In terms of shear noise the Rangers end at Hampden with the sound trapped under that roof and in amongst the dust could possibly be louder when we scored against them but for continuous noise and atmosphere Thursday tops that for me.

It was the way the crowd noise built to a crescendo that night, that made it so memorable.
Thursday was a magnificent experience on it's own merits.
I feel privileged to have been at both.
All different experiences for different reasons and all equally enjoyable.
Was in the Enclosure for Kiev game would have loved to have been on a terracing on Thursday night!! :))

Excellent post - I'm sorry to say I wasn't there last Thursday to experience it.
The Kiev night was very special, as were Leeds, Parma. Man U and a host of other games, but the Kiev game was the King..........until now by the sound of it.
I think the atmosphere is better on a big Euro night than an Old Firm game as we have a bigger crowd united behind the team.
Many old hands say the best atmosphere at the old Ibrox was Bayern in 1972 and at the modern stadium was Kiev in 1987.
Thursday certainly sounded sensational on the TV - fantastic backing from the world's greatest support !!

As an 18 year old I attended Ibrox to watch Souness's new Rangers revolution narrow the pitch and put the mighty Dynamo Kiev to the Sword.

The Magnificent one had appealed to the fans to be the 12th man and we didn't let him down.

In the 35 years that followed id always held that night as the bench mark for atmospheres at Ibrox, it would never be toppled, nothing would come close

Parma and Aberdeen 8 in a row tried hard but ultimately failed

It would always be Kiev 87.

Holy fuq
How wrong was I.

Last Thursday said hold my beer.
I'm now 53 and I can honestly say that 4 days on, I am still on an emotional high, RBL is the greatest atmosphere and occasion I have ever experienced - anywhere

Ibrox was a Living Breathing mythical Beast. It roared like a wild animal, we were its voice and its breath, van Bronckhorst its Brain and our team was its beating heart.

20mins before the game started, our fans were in full voice and the stands were packed in anticipation, you could feel the electricity

Then wee Jimmy's video appeared on the Screen and both sets of fans stood and applauded for what seemed an age. But the applause didn't tire and continued and grew louder and louder fair play to the RBL fans.

Then the wonderful Tifo as the Gladiators entered the Arena to do battle. And the noise from the stands as they did was exceptional.
The crowd were magnificent

The silence, as short as it was was impeccable.

During the match I roared, clapped and sang, I laughed and Cried my eyes out. I hugged and kissed random strangers as Tav buried Ryan's cross, of course it was a cross.

At the second goal my legs almost gave way as I tried to stand, I was a wreck.
It was as if my brain was saying, you've two choices, scream or stand, your not doing both.
Then I began to hyperventilate, strangers asking if I was OK, I was just an emotional mess

F*ck knows what was happening to me
EUPHORIA most likely.

When the Scouse Viking hit home I just sat and burst into tears with my head in my Hands, sobbing uncontrollably like a big Jessie .

My 14 year old haulded me to my feet and I hugged him so hard we almost osmosed, we were in a father/son eye of the storm amid surrounding carnage.

The rest of the match was a blur of noise and confusion, the Lundstram song that followed was the loudest thing I've ever heard.
Deafening

I could actually feel the Copland stand tremor and move as the bears sang their hearts out with one voice and roared on their heroes.
I looked down to the Right and could see my Parents who are in their mid 70s hugging in the Sandy Jardine front - Glorious

Never again will my answer be Kiev 1987.

Thursday was f*cking dynamite, a once in a life time experience

It's taken 35 years to replace Kiev 87
I dont think I'll live to see or experience a match at Ibrox like that ever again
Nothing at Ibrox will ever compare to last Thursday.

It was the perfect storm

It was sensational

Oh Rangers we love you.
I have to agree. My first game was 64 years ago when I was 8 and the atmosphere on Thursday surpassed them all .it was an honour to be part of it WATP

For sheer noise, I think some OF games have been louder (1-0 Ryan Jack winner for example) but the European nights are better overall and Thursday is one of those nights we'll be taking about for years and years.

The goal that edu scored in the 90th minute tops that & also when johnston (mo) scored with 2 minutes to go tops that imo, both games v the child abusers

Finally.
Always felt a bit sorry for the young team when Kiev 87 was always the answer to 'the loudest' question.
35 years is a long time, hopefully wont be that long again for another contender.

I was 17 at the Kiev game, it was always my topper as well. A few games since have been immense but not better. Last Thursday was better, much better actually.
Incredible.

I got into the stadium at 7.30 & the place was absolutely jumping ! Never seen it so busy way before kickoff. I was in the west enclosure close to the German tv presenters & they were absolutely taken in by it. The scenes when it went to 3-2 against Braga & the late goal against Legia were absolutely incredible moments in games but thursday was bedlem from the first minute. Even the Leipzig lads were on twitter saying it was nothing lile they’ve ever experienced before In Germany. God I hope we get to experience a night like that again as it’s what any football fan dreams about. One last thing could you imagine what it would be like if we filled the corners in !

Excellent post - I'm sorry to say I wasn't there last Thursday to experience it.
The Kiev night was very special, as were Leeds, Parma. Man U and a host of other games, but the Kiev game was the King..........until now by the sound of it.
I think the atmosphere is better on a big Euro night than an Old Firm game as we have a bigger crowd united behind the team.
Many old hands say the best atmosphere at the old Ibrox was Bayern in 1972 and at the modern stadium was Kiev in 1987.
Thursday certainly sounded sensational on the TV - fantastic backing from the world's greatest support !!
It's difficult to compare the atmosphere now between now and back in the 1970s. The layout of the ground was so different. Everything was different. The Copland Road terracing held 35,000 in a vast arc of fans on its own. There were no Union Bears, nothing semi-organised. Songs began with one guy starting anywhere across the terracing, others around picking it up and within half a minute the entire 35,000 were singing at the pitch of their voices. It was thunderous. The Sash and Derry's Walls were the most popular songs. A lot of us were half drunk, and there was a different kind of frenzy. Now you rarely if ever see anyone drunk and stumbling around inside Ibrox. But it was magnificent back then.
It's still magnificent. Braga was brilliant, and I was numb with disappointment when tickets for my brother and I for Leipzig fell through on Wednesday night. Numb, distraught. We reckoned we'd never again in our lifetimes get the chance to see another European semi-final at Ibrox. That's a lot to lose out on. I'm getting over it now but I'll always have a tinge of regret at not being there.
But now after Seville I'm thinking towards next season. Who's to say it won't happen again? Who's to say we can't have another superb European season ahead? And that Leipzig can be matched and even surpassed in the two or three seasons ahead. Maybe, maybe not. But never mind "another 50 years". I live in hope that I'll still be able to experience another Leipzig peak of glory night before they plant me under.

Think the Braga game last month is getting a raw deal here in terms of atmosphere. It's up there amongst the best in my view, but they were all eclipsed last Thursday night.

As an 18 year old I attended Ibrox to watch Souness's new Rangers revolution narrow the pitch and put the mighty Dynamo Kiev to the Sword.

The Magnificent one had appealed to the fans to be the 12th man and we didn't let him down.

In the 35 years that followed id always held that night as the bench mark for atmospheres at Ibrox, it would never be toppled, nothing would come close

Parma and Aberdeen 8 in a row tried hard but ultimately failed

It would always be Kiev 87.

Holy fuq
How wrong was I.

Last Thursday said hold my beer.
I'm now 53 and I can honestly say that 4 days on, I am still on an emotional high, RBL is the greatest atmosphere and occasion I have ever experienced - anywhere

Ibrox was a Living Breathing mythical Beast. It roared like a wild animal, we were its voice and its breath, van Bronckhorst its Brain and our team was its beating heart.

20mins before the game started, our fans were in full voice and the stands were packed in anticipation, you could feel the electricity

Then wee Jimmy's video appeared on the Screen and both sets of fans stood and applauded for what seemed an age. But the applause didn't tire and continued and grew louder and louder fair play to the RBL fans.

Then the wonderful Tifo as the Gladiators entered the Arena to do battle. And the noise from the stands as they did was exceptional.
The crowd were magnificent

The silence, as short as it was was impeccable.

During the match I roared, clapped and sang, I laughed and Cried my eyes out. I hugged and kissed random strangers as Tav buried Ryan's cross, of course it was a cross.

At the second goal my legs almost gave way as I tried to stand, I was a wreck.
It was as if my brain was saying, you've two choices, scream or stand, your not doing both.
Then I began to hyperventilate, strangers asking if I was OK, I was just an emotional mess

F*ck knows what was happening to me
EUPHORIA most likely.

When the Scouse Viking hit home I just sat and burst into tears with my head in my Hands, sobbing uncontrollably like a big Jessie .

My 14 year old haulded me to my feet and I hugged him so hard we almost osmosed, we were in a father/son eye of the storm amid surrounding carnage.

The rest of the match was a blur of noise and confusion, the Lundstram song that followed was the loudest thing I've ever heard.
Deafening

I could actually feel the Copland stand tremor and move as the bears sang their hearts out with one voice and roared on their heroes.
I looked down to the Right and could see my Parents who are in their mid 70s hugging in the Sandy Jardine front - Glorious

Never again will my answer be Kiev 1987.

Thursday was f*cking dynamite, a once in a life time experience

It's taken 35 years to replace Kiev 87
I dont think I'll live to see or experience a match at Ibrox like that ever again
Nothing at Ibrox will ever compare to last Thursday.

It was the perfect storm

It was sensational

Oh Rangers we love you.
Awesome read fellah

Dortmund, Braga, Leipzig & Celtic at Hampden - this season has produced 4 of my all time favourite atmospheres I've been to.

Even Red Star at home was superb, but being a first leg it wasn't quite as significant as the others.

I didn't make Thursday night, just the whole event and the BT coverage puts it right up there at the top of the tree.
I think its worth breaking down the atmospheres based on old and new Ibrox, thats my way of clinging on to the Bayern game as my best ever experience as a Bear.
Eighty thousand singing "Barcelona here we come" was special.
Don't know any other way of saying this but the noise was different, more of a rumbling thunderous storm than the sound captured in a more compact Ibrox with all stands covered.
I'm just going to say that Tuesdays feeling was up there with 72 and this team is coming to a peak at just the right time (please God)

The real deal with the Bayern game was them playing the same night in Glasgow albeit kicking off 2 hours later, it meant my Dad and I had reached a chip shop in Arbroath just in time to see Deans miss his penalty in a chippy full of Bears and them go out of Europe.

It's difficult to compare the atmosphere now between now and back in the 1970s. The layout of the ground was so different. Everything was different. The Copland Road terracing held 35,000 in a vast arc of fans on its own. There were no Union Bears, nothing semi-organised. Songs began with one guy starting anywhere across the terracing, others around picking it up and within half a minute the entire 35,000 were singing at the pitch of their voices. It was thunderous. The Sash and Derry's Walls were the most popular songs. A lot of us were half drunk, and there was a different kind of frenzy. Now you rarely if ever see anyone drunk and stumbling around inside Ibrox. But it was magnificent back then.
It's still magnificent. Braga was brilliant, and I was numb with disappointment when tickets for my brother and I for Leipzig fell through on Wednesday night. Numb, distraught. We reckoned we'd never again in our lifetimes get the chance to see another European semi-final at Ibrox. That's a lot to lose out on. I'm getting over it now but I'll always have a tinge of regret at not being there.
But now after Seville I'm thinking towards next season. Who's to say it won't happen again? Who's to say we can't have another superb European season ahead? And that Leipzig can be matched and even surpassed in the two or three seasons ahead. Maybe, maybe not. But never mind "another 50 years". I live in hope that I'll still be able to experience another Leipzig peak of glory night before they plant me under.
Great post - I love a lot of the newer songs sung, but personally I'd love to hear The Sash sung a lot more and Derry's Walls to the Amazing Grace tune !

I can remember a night during the 90s when a pal and I avoided the radio so we could enjoy the highlights on tv. As we went round to his flat just off Byres Road we could hear the roar from Ibrox, so we reckoned that we had at least one goal to look forward to.

In the years since I have often wondered if the sound of Ibrox was carrying to the west end. I have no doubt it did on Thursday.

A passionate OP but we should not, even with the dramatic flourish of the respected poster, bury what was a special night in our history. It stands as a testament to what Ibrox and the Rangers fans can deliver on these occasions when the opponent seems be a superior and unsurmountable obstacle. League triumphs like Mark Hateley's inspired win against Aberdeen, Arteta's penalty win on helicopter Sunday, the night we beat Parma and more than a few victories against the Scum are legend and remain so. Hell! I'm even going to throw in Richard Gough's equaliser in a 2-2 draw with them that drew probably the biggest roar I ever heard in Ibrox.
Last Thursday I was regaling(boring :rolleyes: ) the young lads next to me of the night I was there when we beat Bayern Munich in 72. At the end of the game I told them we topped that tonight. Maybe it was just me recognising that I'll probably never see the likes again. Who knows, hopefully the younger generation will see it surpassed in the future, maybe even next season in the Champions League.
The night against Kiev is not dead. It's just shuffled along the mantelpiece of our memories of glorious nights at Ibrox.

Can only imagine what Ibrox was like with 90K+ back in the day.

Wasn't as noisy as it is now as all the sound travelled into the air.

Ibrox is deafening due to the construction of the three new stands and the massive roofs on them. Noise doesn't escape as it does in other grounds.

Kiev, Leeds, Parma, Leipzig all slightly different.

At the time of Kiev that was the best I had ever heard. Had heard the stadium all singing together before but there was something about that night where everyone seemed to be singing at exactly the same speed and the Billy Boys song has rarely sounded better or more clear. Then there was the way the roar for the first goal built up as the ball trickled towards the goal line. Having watched the highlights many times, there were points where the crowd went relatively quiet as Kiev pushed to get back into the tie. The crowd then helped to push the team over the last 20 minutes with the noise building all the way. I was listening to it on the radio and can still remember the commentators talking about the noise pouring out the stands.

For Leeds I remember Jim White doing his bit from Ibrox for the teatime news and I could tell by the noise in the background at this early time that it was going to be something special. For a spell in the middle of the first half that had to be up there with anything.

Parma just seemed to be constant noise from start to finish.

Have watched many YouTube videos of Leipzig game and it definitely has to take it's place up there with these other great nights but would be splitting hairs to say one was better than the others. It's certainly the best for this generation. Watching the videos near the end of the match I notice quite a few people covering their mouths and not whistling, shouting or singing whereas with Kiev everyone was screaming and whistling for the referee to blow the final whistle. Having said that, the roar and reaction to the final whistle at the Leipzig game is up there with anything before, and I still get a bit emotional thinking of that moment and the after effects in how it made millions of people happy.

Parma and Leeds were also different due to being 1st legs.

Kiev's got a match with Leipzig in some ways the others didn't due to the result on the night deciding the tie.

I was a wee boy at Kiev but remember it being louder than anything I've ever heard.

Thursday is right up there though.

Back