Kilmarnock 1 Rangers 8, September 1980

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
The early weeks of season 1980-81 were full of optimistic signs that Rangers were going to be genuine title challengers after a horrendous previous season.
New signings Jim Bett and Colin McAdam hit the ground running, we were winning games and scoring a few goals.

Before this game at Rugby Park we had won at Parkhead for the first time in years, had scored 4 to win at Tannadice and had beaten champions Aberdeen in the first leg of the League Cup.

Here's the biggest away league win I can remember attending, some great goals, some hilarious goalkeeping, and sadly too many players in Royal Blue no longer with us.

Here's the biggest away league win I can remember attending, some great goals, some hilarious goalkeeping, and sadly too many players in Royal Blue no longer with us.

Always enjoy watching these old games. Very accurate description of the game :D

Was also there that day, still till this day the biggest away win I have witnessed. Off the top of my head think domestically only the 10-0 defeat to Keith in Scottish Cup at Pittodrie beats this but was not there that day.

Was in the main stand that day

One of the first Gers game I was at, if not the first one, (sob story - come from a wee village in Ayrshire and couldn't afford to go to Glasgow to see them :D )

Reactions: SSR
I remember this well, had just returned after 3 months from Canada after working in a kids holiday camp. I had missed the win at parkhead, and was desperate to get this game. Wow, what a game to return to :))

Cheers for that DH

I was at the game and it will be enjoyable seeing some of the old faces again and of course, the famous scoring a barrowload. Maybe today, with the forces at work on and off the park now we'd have had a much closer game and very little praise from the media rats too.

Just up, back to work shortly, so I'll try and watch it when I get a quiet period early morning ;) Thanks mate!

I was working on the Killie turnstiles that day and two of my old pals from Bridgeton happened to come through the gate I was working on. I met them to watch the game after I'd cashed up. One of them passed away about 12 years ago and I haven't seen the other one since that day at Rugby Park. Amazing to think that almost 40 years have passed since then.

My old man was at that game with about 6 fresh stitches down his nose after a disagreement with the local notorious barman from the night before . Fair play to standing up to him and refusing to accept he was just too big. He blamed his gold sovereign rings for getting knocked out. :)

The early weeks of season 1980-81 were full of optimistic signs that Rangers were going to be genuine title challengers after a horrendous previous season.
New signings Jim Bett and Colin McAdam hit the ground running, we were winning games and scoring a few goals.

Before this game at Rugby Park we had won at Parkhead for the first time in years, had scored 4 to win at Tannadice and had beaten champions Aberdeen in the first leg of the League Cup.

I was there

Was there that day :)) Some observations..
Pitch looks some size. The size of support we used to take to these grounds and the keeper had a mare !! :oops:

Was there that day :)) Some observations..
Pitch looks some size. The size of support we used to take to these grounds and the keeper had a mare !! :oops:

I think it was one of the bigger pitches. Pittodrie too. That's the way I remember it anyway, might be miles out :)

Reactions: SSR
My 16th birthday, and what a present :)

I remember their goalie on the back page of the paper that morning, potting a blue at snooker and saying how much he was looking forward to his first big game. He had a nightmare! I've often wondered what became of him :))

I was living abroad at the time, so this is the first time I've seen these highlights. As you say, too many of that team have passed.
As an aside, didn't Kilmarnock used to have one of the best grass pitches in Scotland or am I misguided?

There’s a blast from the past. I remember that game, just makes me feel old. Wonder how many goals I’ve seen, it’s well over 1000 games.

Missed last two goals 16 amd drunk

My 16th birthday, and what a present :)

I remember their goalie on the back page of the paper that morning, potting a blue at snooker and saying how much he was looking forward to his first big game. He had a nightmare! I've often wondered what became of him :))
Played junior and now services pressure washers.

The Killie keeper ffs :) He lost 6 at home to St Mirren two weeks later.
I was also there. Being 3-1 up at halftime was a bit of a rarity in those days. That Rugby Park pitch was immaculate, changed days indeed.

From memory, Jim Brown also had a 0-0 draw sandwiched between those 2 matches.

Football special got stuck at points for about an hour on the way back iirc.

I was at the game with my mates as a 16 year old. Off subject but I was going out with a lovely Catholic girl at the time and not long after this game she chucked me because I kept on insisting Sting was a prick. Haha

Of course back then you went to the game with a tranny no questions asked. On that particular day I was at Plough Lane to see the mighty Wimbledon fall to a shock defeat to Lincoln City.
After the match standing at Haydons Road BR station I turned to my tranny to get the full-times.
Did he really say Kilmarnock 1 Rangers 8???

Back