Kilmarnock consider ripping up plastic pitch

On the financial front, Kilmarnock reported a trading loss of £181,174 for the year ending 30 May, 2018.

So there you have it rather they were running at a loss by knocking.back bids from rangers last year for jones and ending up with nothing.

Suck that up ya bunch of irreverent post munchers.

The SPFL should outlaw artificial pitches in the top division.
If that means giving teams financial support to change back to grass, then it's money well spent.
I'm all for this, if a club comes up from the Championship with a plastic pitch, then they should get some assistance to replace it. Only trouble is if they go back down and want plastic again.

I am sure that if there was a poll, the votes against these pitches would be close to 100%.
The SFA etc. must be aware of the feelings of the fans over this, but stiil do nothing.

The tech in growing grass all year round has jumped leaps and bounds over the years and the LED lighting is far cheaper to use than the older tech.
You can electronically control the lights and monitor the pitch condition and concentrate on a section of grass that might require more attention they have been using it in China for a few years due to the pollution and stadium design.

Rugby Park had the best surface bar none a few decades ago.
It would be nice to think it could get back to something near that.

Potentially one down hopefully...

Kilmarnock are to consider replacing their artificial pitch this summer.

It emerged in the club's annual accounts that "a feasibility study is under way", but they are not committed to reverting to a grass park.

The current surface, which was laid in 2014, has been routinely criticised by opposition clubs.

In August, Rangers manager Steven Gerrard said "elite football shouldn't be played on plastic pitches" following an injury to Jamie Murphy.

The winger remains sidelined by the knee ligament damage he suffered.

At the time, Kilmarnock boss Steve Clarke suggested his side's injury record was no worse than anybody else's.

The current pitch provides commercial revenue as well as training facilities for the first team, who had previously been hiring alternative facilities in Glasgow.

On the financial front, Kilmarnock reported a trading loss of £181,174 for the year ending 30 May, 2018.

Don't bother considering, get it done.

Accies spent £750k putting down a new one in the summer. It definitely seems to be a standard above the other two mentioned.

I wish they weren’t used but I’ve a feeling they’re going to be. If so it should a top standard one and have regulations around watering them for matches etc.

In that case if they've got £750k to spend it shouldn't be on a fake surface.

They need to go. I don't care about the pros and cons of plastic. I'd accept a hybrid of grass with artificial strands sown in though.

A grass pitch should be compulsory in the top league. Clubs that don't have a grass pitch should be made to make the change within 3 years.

If you can't afford a grass pitch, you can't afford to play in the Premiership

End of, close thread

Just like when Falkirk weren't allowed in because their stadium was shit and the Sheep Shaggers weren't relegated

Our support make too much of a deal of plastic pitches IMO. They aren’t ideal but they aren’t that bad either.

My main gripe with them is that they aren’t watered pre match and at half time. I think the SPFL should introduce a rule that if you have a plastic pitch then it has to be watered properly.

When the pitches are dry and sticky then the bounce of the ball can be awkward at times, when they are wet they play very well.

That's bollocks, Hamilton's park is a disgrace. Played on it multiple times. Awful.

If some junior clubs can maintain a good grass surface, clubs in the top division shouldn't have a choice in the matter.

Agreed.

They are all awful.

You just have to look at the way the ball bobbles, bounces and holds up bizarrely to know they should all be banned

Think it will all revolve areound whehter they can find a site to build a training ground. Every ages group from first team down trains on park through the week so they’d need somewhere to go.

Think Billy Bowie has the cash for it but they can’t find suitable site.

Why don't Kilmarnock build a facility with astro pitches near Rugby Park and keep one full size pitch to train on and then allow the rest for commercial hire to the public? Any money made can be used to pay for the facility and maintain upkeep of a grass pitch at Rugby Park?

Back