Match Thread Kilmarnock v Rangers - 12:30 Sunday - BT Sports

Delighted with this result - Morelos outstanding and Tav with 3 assists.

Delighted for Wes and Halliday - not first choice but both played well.

No failures again today.

Wonder if Clarke will get pulled up for bringing the game into disrepute, as he claimed on the radio that the ref bottled it with regards not giving them a penalty??!!
What about the fact the ref and linesman bottled it regarding not awarding us a legitimate goal within the first couple of minutes....

He’s has had a great game mate.

Don't disagree he had influence when he had space. I just thought he looked uncomfortable on the surface.
A couple of slips, some underhit passes, very tentative turning and just didn't seem as sharp as normal.

Either way, setting up the through pass for the assist was a lovely bit or work.

my underlying point is that the surface does have both physical and mental effects on players

His performance against us at Ibrox last year has totally wrecked whatever legacy he had.

He'd be as well a poops fan now.
Without getting into an argument with you, Broadfoot was never a favourite of mine but in no way is he rabid and to put it another way if he was good enough for Walter Smith then that's all that matters. As for our performance today i thought Gerrard had his set up correct once again and the improvement, commitment and desire from Morelos has been exceptional under the manager.

BBC Report.

They are really hurting,

Alfredo Morelos scored a hat-trick as Rangers continued their unbeaten start under Steven Gerrard by beating Kilmarnock in the League Cup.

Gerrard's men moved into the last eight by taking their run without defeat to nine games, and are one match from a sixth successive domestic semi-final.

Morelos headed Rangers in front then added a low finish in the first half.

Borna Barisic's own goal gave the hosts a lifeline, but Morelos tapped in from close range to secure the win.

One negative for Rangers manager Gerrard was the loss of Jamie Murphy, the winger taken off on a stretcher after 15 minutes after falling awkwardly on Kilmarnock's artificial surface.

That means he is a major doubt for Thursday's Europa League play-off first leg with FC Ufa.

Morelos takes centre stage again
Rangers rejected a bid from Bordeaux for Morelos last week, with Gerrard insisting an offer would have to "blow Rangers out of the water" and that he wanted the 22-year-old to sign a new deal.

And Morelos was in the limelight again in Ayrshire, having been sent off in the opening game of the season at Pittodrie.

His day started poorly - albeit in controversial fashion - when he scuffed an attempt from a few yards after Ryan Kent's cross found him in the box. The ball skipped towards goal and, although Stephen O'Donnell lashed clear, television pictures suggested it may have already crossed the line.

At his best, the squat striker is difficult to contain, and after testing debutant goalkeeper Daniel Bachmann with a shot, Morelos headed in James Tavernier's deflected cross to give Rangers a deserved lead.

A second was not long coming. Scott Boyd's defending was questionable, making it all too easy for Morelos to turn him and direct a shot across Bachmann and into the far corner.

A flash of indiscipline threatened to spoil his afternoon, Morelos earning himself a yellow card for needlessly hauling down Alan Power as his own team had possession in the final third.

But soon he was making a more positive contribution again, having a toe-poke and a header thwarted by Bachmann, who also directed Scott Arfield's effort off a post.

The Austrian goalkeeper could only keep Rangers at bay for so long, though, and after a clever move Morelos completed his hat-trick with an easy tap-in from Tavernier's low pass.

Foderingham thwarts second-best hosts
Under manager Steve Clarke, Kilmarnock had beat Rangers twice last season, but his side were very much second best at Rugby Park.

They did work goalkeeper Wes Foderingham on occasion, with the Englishman - deputising for Allan McGregor - tipping over a free-kick from Chris Burke and producing a stunning save to somehow deflect another Burke set-piece over the bar.

A Kirk Broadfoot header following a corner bounced off the top of the crossbar, but the game turned just as Kilmarnock appeared to be running out of ideas.

Jordan Jones scampered clear up the left and his cross was flicked by Kris Boyd on to the knee of Rangers defender Barisic, who could only watch as it bounced into the net.

Suddenly, the hosts had a flicker of hope. Gary Dicker had a header tipped away, while Boyd had a good shout for a penalty after going down under Connor Goldson's push in stoppage time, but the opportunities were too sparse to salvage the cup tie.

'Gerrard's man-management impressive' - analysis
Former Rangers forward Steven Thompson on Sportsound

Morelos has his faults, but he is a player just now playing full of confidence. And that confidence has been given to him by his manager. You can't help but be impressed by the impact Gerrard has had. His man-management of these players is very impressive.

Former Rangers director of football Gordon Smith on Sportsound

Rangers have definitely deserved to go through. They've been impressive. This was always going to be a test because Kilmarnock are one of the hardest teams to play against. Today, though, Rangers have done a great job.

'We've gone out to a good team' - reaction
Kilmarnock manager Steve Clarke: "We are disappointed to go out, but we have gone out to a good team.

"I thought we were still in it to the death but I am not going to be too critical of the players. It is about defending better as a team."

Great performance and result apart from the defending at the Killie goal. What was Arfield doing? The same with Tav.

However well worth a near 4 hr round trip to the depths of Ayrshire on a Sunday when I should be sitting on my arse in front of the TV. :D

Great performance and result apart from the defending at the Killie goal. What was Arfield doing? The same with Tav.

However well worth a near 4 hr round trip to the depths of Ayrshire on a Sunday when I should be sitting on my arse in front of the TV. :D

Aye but it was worth the trip eh?

Nothing better in life mate.

Really chuffed with that, convincing win, not really troubled by them, even when they scored I wasn't overly concerned.
Happy for Morelos, and I think kilmarnock sensed it wasn't going to be as easy, we confirmed that.
Great result, just 8 more Spl teams to put back in their place ;)

Delighted with this result - Morelos outstanding and Tav with 3 assists.

Delighted for Wes and Halliday - not first choice but both played well.

No failures again today.
As mad as it seems and he got 3 assists I thought he was poor today defensively but hey ho we won so happy days

No sign of tiredness after Thursday well done the fitness team.
I going to assume that Kilmarnock cannot afford the upkeep of a grass field, yet in the bizarre world of Scottish there was dozens of empty seats in their main stand. So that's 3 home games against us 2 against the mankys. How much money do they lose by not selling these seats.

[QUOTE="Mollysblackcoat, post: 2012490, member: 1003"]Wonder if Clarke will get pulled up for bringing the game into disrepute, as he claimed on the radio that the ref bottled it with regards not giving them a penalty??!!
What about the fact the ref and linesman bottled it regarding not awarding us a legitimate goal within the first couple of minutes....[/QUOTE]

knew I had heard that poster ingleneuk was saying he didn't thought I was going mad...oh and nothing will happen to him hes not the Rangers manager :mad:

if theres a way to here the interviews again listen to it he defo says referee bottled it was right after game
Ok mate, Fair dos. If it was on Radio Scotland I wouldn't be able to hear it, due to "Rights reasons" (I don't live in UK)
But he certainly didn't mention that on the tv interview.

Ok mate, Fair dos. If it was on Radio Scotland I wouldn't be able to hear it, due to "Rights reasons" (I don't live in UK)
But he certainly didn't mention that on the tv interview.
no problem mate no big deal as you said you didn't hear it on radio Scotland didn't realise you meant on bt interview :)

Back