Match Thread Kilmarnock v Rangers - 17:15 Saturday - Premier Sports

Tonight's an irrelevance.

We should win the replay at Ibrox which is all that matters with regards this tie.

Better to draw tonight when there's no damage done than in one of our upcoming League games.

We move on to St Johnstone next week now.
Bingo. The only damage done is another fixture. But this part of the season is a lot lighter than the first half.

We didn’t play well but there was a different dynamic, a different feel about this game. Unlike our last visit, I never felt we were in any danger of losing this one.

He missed today`s game but seemingly the other two games have to be from same competition ie the league.
Gerrard said he is looking forward to bring Alfredo back into the mix for this game.

Killie did a decent job of it...

"but they're used to it"

It's a flat fu*king surface and they're professional footballers.

Kilmarnock play passing football on it?
You and I have a very different idea of what passing football is

Defoe looks well off the pace at present thats a worry.
I’m seeing a lack of service m8. He had one chance tonight that he should have lifted over the keeper rather than shoot low and end up screwing it wide. Arfield played too deep, he had to be further forward to make the link with Defoe through the middle. No sense throwing high balls from the wing into a guy who’s 5’ 7”

"but they're used to it"

This is kind of my opinion as well, but I was shit at football and haven't played on one of these. I'm not sure if it suddenly turns professionals unable to pass a ball on it though!!

It's all relative; they didnt play a fraction of the aimless punts we did. Not even close until Fat Kris came on.

How did that work for them?
Last time they got 2 goals from our mistakes and done relatively nothing else.
This time they had one change for Mulumbu.
At Ibrox we will knock them out playing football.

How did that work for them?
Last time they got 2 goals from our mistakes and done relatively nothing else.
This time they had one change for Mulumbu.
At Ibrox we will knock them out playing football.

Killie aside - the point i made is that we humped the baw up the pitch more often than not and i can't really remember a time it worked out for us; and professional footballers should be able to play on that surface without reverting to punting it.

And i agree that we'll smack them at Ibrox, but struggling to hide my disappointment at playing so woefully, and one dimensionally, against a Killie team that've had 2 pish results in a row.

The Kilmarnock game on the 20th will be the 3rd game he misses.

I think he up is able to play, his remaining two games are for league games. He missed today's game because his red card was for violent play, meaning he misses the next game. ( ie today's cup game)

Killie aside - the point i made is that we humped the baw up the pitch more often than not and i can't really remember a time it worked out for us; and professional footballers should be able to play on that surface without reverting to punting it.

And i agree that we'll smack them at Ibrox, but struggling to hide my disappointment at playing so woefully, and one dimensionally, against a Killie team that've had 2 pish results in a row.

I think the only reason we punted it is the surface and the fact that they are compact and near impossible to play through especially through the middle and crossing it won’t be successful with Defoe so we tried to play on second balls.

"but they're used to it"

Bollocks, its like playing on carpet with rubber balls everywhere. Passes dont play the same and neither does the ability to strike a ball

I understand the point you make about lumping the ball forward. It typically comes after the ball has been bouncing around in midfield, we have knocked it sideways a few times and Killie have 10 men behind the ball again. It isn’t so much the lumping the ball forward that I don’t like. What I don’t like is lumping it forward to one central striker, exacerbated if that striker is Defoe rather than Morelos. That isn’t to knock Defoe, just a recognition of the fact that he has never been that sort of target man. I would actually be minded to accept that it is nigh on impossible to play good football on that surface, accept that we are going to do a lot of lumping forward but pick a team accordingly - i.e. go with Lafferty and Morelos of Defoe and have Lafferty as your target man and play for the second ball. A bit like they do with the likes of Boyd. It wouldn’t be pretty and I wouldn’t advocate it on grass pitches but I think those plastic pitches are just so awful that you need to do something different.

I thought we were woeful tonight. Not much in terms of movement off the ball, nobody really willing to take risks. We should progress but it won’t be easy at Ibrox either!

Poor stuff last night and another game we could do without but not the end of world as it seems to a few.

Never give the players a hard time on that pitch
It’s an absolute disgrace

I thought though arfeild an defo were clearly struggling early in the second half

Yet they started on

wee bit concerning at our inability to really get in behind teams that are decently organised, our midfield for all the hard work they do just aren't creative enough and its something that needs to be addressed,,however, we are still in the cup and really should see this lot off at Ibrox,,as a wee aside we watched the game in the tenement and outwith the result we had a great time,,all credit to alan and his team on running a top notch boozer,, great to see it really busy but still being able to served without too much of a wait,,we could do with more boozers like this for the bears

Latest posts

Back