Match Thread Kilmarnock v Rangers - 19:45 Wednesday - BT Sports

As I posted on another thread, we've dropped points to 7 of our 11 SPFL opponents. A poor result against Celtic would have led to meltdown at New Year.
You don't try new formations away to your rival on a dodgy pitch.

I know it's probably my own thoughts, but I wonder if SG was sitting back watching all that, thinking "I've really got to buy an entire new defence here."

imo the only one out of that back four that I'd give pass marks would probably be Halliday.

Disgraceful performance tonight, especially from Worrall.
We were more than comfortable prior to his fūck up, and he gifted them a goal, letting them back into it.
I suspect Gerrard will play him in the next game as an "I know best" like we have seen managers do so often, but in reality he should be nowhere near the starting 11 after that. And for the record, McAuley was shite as well, Jack was screaming at him at one point for not attacking the ball when Jack was being challenged.
His team selection will be interesting. Will be play Worrall to prove he knows best or is he man enough to admit he got it wrong tonight and change a few things? I can tell you right now we will not win the league if we keep Worrall in the team, he makes at least one blunder every game, he's a bomb scare.

Worral is learning valuable football lessons at our expense. Maybe he’s trying to drop hints on where he would prefer to play his football in the second half of the season.
The same way McCrorie was fishing for a move with his short pass back costing us 3 points v Hamilton last year or his red card vs ST. Mirren should have cost us a further 3'points this year. We're all disappointed but he made 1 almighty cock up, he never lost 1 header all night.
Are we'seriously suggesting he dallied on the ball because he wants to return to England?
Did McCrorie just make mistakes but Worrall is premeditated and malicious?

I'm not arguing that we played well and that I'm happy with the performance, I just wouldnt go as far to say that they embarrassed us.
I'm not embarrassed, pd off, but not embarrassed.
We'd need to have been bulldozed and had the ps taken out of us for that.
I hate getting beat but I can accept it. But, being out fought is an embarrassment. Only one team wanted it tonight.

if they 2 play together at the back again that will tell me all I need to know about Gerrard going forward. he also seriously just needs to stop tinkering will the team.

He needs to start accepting blame.

Totally agree. What is really annoying me is that he landed on our best team on the 29th of December. Going into what was always going to be a very hard away game tonight I cannot understand why he decided to change that team. I keep repeating on here that Ross McCrorie should be an automatic selection in our midfield and I cannot understand how or why Gerrard doesn't see that - especially after watching that game in December. I am pig sick after that tonight.

right so onto the weekend where they lot are at home (again) to shitty Hamilton and we're away (again) on another shitty plastic pitch.

Only seen 70 mins as Nightshift really disappointed, think it would have been better to play the same formation as against the Tim’s don’t go tinkering with such a big game.

Worral is learning valuable football lessons at our expense. Maybe he’s trying to drop hints on where he would prefer to play his football in the second half of the season.
Doesn't need to drop any hints. It's blatantly obvious.
I would get shot of him. He's unreliable and can't be trusted or depended on.
Everyone now will wait for him to do it again, and he will. Opposing forwards will be licking their lips.
Rangers FC is not a nursery or playpen for bringing on England under 21 Internationals.
As my old da would have said "he's got slow feet" unless and until that changes he will always blunder.

I’m still at a loss with your post.
It was coming, but it only came tonight?
How many times has he just got away with that senario all season? I can think of at least 5 times.
Are you honestly saying he hasn't made any costly mistakes? Can't understand why you could be at a loss to understand this.

Let’s just remember Kilmarnock had two shots on target tonight and scored with the two off them,both goals where self inflicted they never worked for them daft as it sounds.
Worral disgraceful mistake for a pro then our player misplaces a simple pass in midfield gives Jones the chance to run at our defence,McAuley backs off unbelievably and let’s Jones have a free shot then shagger very slow getting down.
Although we where punished for these mistakes I think teams know we are liable to these types off mistakes and teams just bide their time knowing they will get chances through simple mistakes.

I hate getting beat but I can accept it. But, being out fought is an embarrassment. Only one team wanted it tonight.
It's not that only one team wanted it, it's that we didn't have the composure or guile to assert ourselves. We have a collective inability to read the game, resulting in aimless balls being played, or when a good one is, a failure to anticipate it and be in position to receive it. We simply MUST react on Sunday and another moan about a plastic pitch just won't cut it.

Gerard has never really explained why he was in such a rush to drop Katic.
It had been a largely successful partnership. Now he’s fourth choice. Behind a 39 year old and a donkey on loan.

Just leaving Kilmarnock can’t believe what happened. Hindsight is wonderful but we shouldn’t have changed the system to suit Defoe (at least not away to Kilmarnock)

We ended up with zero width and made it to easy for Kilmarnock who pressed our Diamond in the middle of the park and it was pretty much all over

I was amazed our support stayed so calm...maybe we were all in shock

And that's the lazy analysis that most will make when they look back at the game, see two big changes and an apparent change of shape, and conclude that was our problem. The reality was we bombarded them the first 15 minutes and got our reward in a goal. At that point we were controlling the game but a howler has gifted Killie a chance and they've taken it well. The howler was so bad that it's knocked our confidence and the team hasn't settled again properly after that. We weren't the same after that, and it wasn't anything to do with Davis or Defoe. We lost the second partly because it was Jones/McAuley and McAuley can't match Jones for speed, but also because McAuley had already picked up a booking, or else he'd have taken one there.

The three main issues with the team that were all apparent: mentality, especially when going behind; shaky defence since Goldson and Katic were separated; and an inability to professionally see out a game. Our squad is absolutely strong enough to win the league, but there's a lot to sort out.
we lose a terrible goal and we fall apart for the remaining 65 mins and we are strong enough to win the league?........Aye ok

McCauley slower than a wet weekend in Watford, he was never going to tackle anyone after the booking not that he would catch up with them. Hope Goldson's fit for the Livi game. We were second to too many balls in midfield tonight, nobody comes out with credit after that performance.

I know it's probably my own thoughts, but I wonder if SG was sitting back watching all that, thinking "I've really got to buy an entire new defence here."

imo the only one out of that back four that I'd give pass marks would probably be Halliday.
Agreed on Halliday considering he's filling in.
I hope you're right, not a decent defender among them.

It's not that only one team wanted it, it's that we didn't have the composure or guile to assert ourselves. We have a collective inability to read the game, resulting in aimless balls being played, or when a good one is, a failure to anticipate it and be in position to receive it. We simply MUST react on Sunday and another moan about a plastic pitch just won't cut it.
I fear the worst. Both of our new signings are miles off being match fit. Those two cbs that played tonight will get ragged about by their striker.
To be able to play, you need to win the battle. We didn't get anywhere near that tonight.

McCrorie is our holding midfielder, allows Jack and Arefield to play further forward and win second balls. If he is future Captain we should build team around him.
This I agree with.
Where would you play Davis or wouldn’t you have signed him?

again,stupid defensive mistakes have cost us,it isn't screamers or brilliantly worked goals we keep losing,it's bloody basic school boy defending errors! getting royally sick of it now,we're throwing the league away here!

Worrall shouldn't be wearing a Rangers Jersey again any time soon. You can't blame one man for a defeat but to show that level of unprofessionalism in a game as significant as tonight is unacceptable

many times I heard that this season after a shit result? too many

How many times have you heard me say that I am looking forward to a convincing result on Sunday?

If you want to be miserable and dwell on tonight then crack on, don't have a whinge about me looking forward to the next game though.

Just home totally gutted and frustrated, only Rangers 3 weeks ago on cloud nine looking forward back to reality with a bang. Formation wasn't working and we got punished by a horrid defensive moment and a break away

Just back home. For me the Morelos header that hit the post turned the game for us. had that gone in we would have won the game at 2 - 0 up. Not Morelos fault just a bit of bad luck.
After that Killie were the better team and their work rate was way beyond our rate. I am still looking for Davis to give a few decent passes forward to our strikers as that is why he was signed. Defoe is a penalty box player so get the ball forward and to or near to him and don't spend time messing about in our half of the field.
Get Ross back to central defence along with Goldson with Katic as the back up as that is more looking to our future.

Just back home. For me the Morelos header that hit the post turned the game for us. had that gone in we would have won the game at 2 - 0 up. Not Morelos fault just a bit of bad luck.
After that Killie were the better team and their work rate was way beyond our rate. I am still looking for Davis to give a few decent passes forward to our strikers as that is why he was signed. Defoe is a penalty box player so get the ball forward and to or near to him and don't spend time messing about in our half of the field.
Get Ross back to central defence along with Goldson with Katic as the back up as that is more looking to our future.
No, what changed the match was Worrall doing what he did.As for putting Ross McCrorie at centre back that’s just mental, he’s a holding midfielder.

Just in about 10 minutes ago and still absolutely spewing.

So many tactical errors.

And then there’s Worrall.

Horrible night.

Winning more 2nd balls? More aggressive?
You're obviously a bit slow as I've already stated this.
Being aggressive proves nothing.
Maybe I’m a bit slow but I’d have thought this aggression actually failed when you consider it was still Rangers who created more.
On the slow bit, is delivering personal insults a measure of a poster’s intelligence?

Back