Kings Of Ibrox, Time Of Our Lives, Sky TV Programme

bearmind

I am fairly sure that this programme has been discussed before on FF. So apologises for mentioning it again. However, I thought that some of our fans (especially the younger fans) might not have seen it and I recommend it purely because of its informativeness and great personal anecdotes from players concerning Rangers 1971/1972 European Cup Winners Cup run and victory, and the previous two devastating ECWC loses in 1961 and 1967.

I had recorded it off Sky some time ago. It was made in 2009 and presented by the one and only, Jeff Stelling in discussion with John Greig, the late, Sandy Jardine and Derek Johnstone. One of my favourite stories came from John Greig when Rangers played Torino of Italy in the ECWC Quarter Finals in 1972. Torino were no mugs and were top of Serie A at the time.

Anyway, Willie Waddell (manager at the time) was always meticulous in tactical preparation and one of the Torino player's photographs was held up to the team. Waddell said, "This is the new wonder boy of Italian football, Claudio Sala". Waddell then said to John Greig, "John, I want you to put him out of the game". Greigsy replied, "Just for this match or for the rest of the season?" And there was a great roar of laughter from the team. Waddell coughed nervously and then said, "I am serious, John". Greig then replied, "So am I boss, so am I". I never got to find out if Sala was taken out of the game! However I am not sure if he ever amounted to the wonderboy of Italian football following this game. Great stories too about Jock Wallace and the 1970's Treble Winners teams on two occasions. Fantastic memories.

Last edited:
Back